PDA

View Full Version : MacOS X 10.4 Wishlist

decryption
18th January 2004, 09:47 AM
In the vein of http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4964
I'd like to hear people's opinions on what Apple should do/improve in 10.4.
Personally, I reckon just make the UI more responsive (tweak Quartz Extreme) and more X11 integration. Also, keep working on XCode and make it better and something to match Visual Studio.
But honestly, other than that, I can't see what big improvements are really necessary, Panther did a lot to improve things. I think I'll just have to let Apple surprise me with 10.4, heh.

Radar
18th January 2004, 11:53 AM
I doubt that 10.4 will be released this year, Apple and users seem to be pretty damm happy with 10.3 (And it's obvious why, it's goddamm awesome).

I love 10.3, and there isn't much I would change at all. I would like it to run on older machines (My PB 233 can't go higher than 10.2.8, and would run so much better under 10.3).

decryption
18th January 2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Radar@Jan 18 2004, 12:53 PM
I doubt that 10.4 will be released this year, Apple and users seem to be pretty damm happy with 10.3 (And it's obvious why, it's goddamm awesome).

I love 10.3, and there isn't much I would change at all. I would like it to run on older machines (My PB 233 can't go higher than 10.2.8, and would run so much better under 10.3).
Apple may release 10.4 this year, they harped on at WWDC how they have a one year release cycle for the 10 dot upgrades where as Microsoft is struggling behing with Longhorn.

But you're right, I don't know what they could improve really to make 10.4 really special over some future 10.3 revisions.
Who knows, they might have some radical new technology waiting to be unvieled :D

Disko
18th January 2004, 12:59 PM
Well... What i'd want:
An option to turn on interface sounds (like in macos9)
A quicker "return from sleep/screensaver" login prompt. A better safari - which works on all those pages that it doesnt.
Something similar to Sun's 3d desktop.
Skinning
... probably other things i'll think of later

elvis
18th January 2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jan 18 2004, 12:59 PM
A better safari - which works on all those pages that it doesnt.
The only reason safari "doesn't work" on websites is because of stupid developers who use MS-only dynamic code, or build websites with horrible tools like frontpage.

If everyone stuck to W3C compliant HTML, DHTML and XML, everything would work in every browser.

jameso
18th January 2004, 03:47 PM
Better finder ftp browsing, thats just one feature i would love. it should have been in 10.3

also apple should 'improve' the dock. but i'n not going to argue about why coz it's sunday and i'm too tired. maybe tomorrow.

jameso

[edit]

ok, i'm actually bored and the tennis game my friends are currenty playing is stupid so i am going to add more to my next to usless post.

I'm going to want too add application to a ignore list for expose. i want to be able to enable desktop mode and leave it enabled so i can work on someting for 5 minutes and then bring my other work back, exactly as it was, the way out loving expose does.

I wan't to be able to right-click on a window in the dock and interact with it. you know u would love that contextual menu to be propergated with little goodies like close... well, actually the only one i could think of that would be handy would be close. still, i want it. and it's actually avalible in panther (see the finder) but i should be the defualt behavour for all apps.

I wan't to be able to use icon mode again but the grid size is a problem for me. maybe i could config it please apple. also who wouldn't give there left testical for pop-up finder windows (lthe little leach like tab ripoffs that hung off so many apple desktops). i know i would

also apple, love the key-command editor but it would be nice to be able to bind a script or application to key combos.

ok, at this point i would usually go back and spell check or edit my post but i think at this stage it above me at the moment. i might do it from the mac so get the nifty safari spell checker.... that does mean getting off the couch tho...

it's hard really

jameso

stevejay
19th January 2004, 07:20 AM
Visual Studio is SHITE - I'd be pretty darned unhappy if X-Code wound up like VS, but yes, a few tweeks to X-Code would be nice.