PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone Data Increase!

cemil
5th September 2008, 01:26 PM
I had a very interesting chat with a Vodafone representative today.

I called him to let them know that I am switching to Optus (and to see if they'd do a loyalty match on Optus' plans). He stated that while they couldn't match Optus' plans, they have recently (and secretly) doubled the data allowances that come with the iPhone plans!

He said this was reflected in their internal systems and not necessarily released to the public, however he was willing to give me the increased plans.

I'm not sure if this was simply a tactic to prevent them from losing a customer, but I was impressed.

If this is old news, well, I've been a bit out of touch for the last week or so :-)

-Cemil

nando
5th September 2008, 01:58 PM
so now.they are offering 20MBs as oppose to 10MBs in their $60 plan?!??!
LoL :D

bengrubb
5th September 2008, 02:11 PM
so now.they are offering 20MBs as oppose to 10MBs in their $60 plan?!??!
LoL :D

It's actually 250MB on the $69 plan.

And their network seems to stay up ;)

NathR32
5th September 2008, 02:12 PM
Why the hell would they just secretly double the limit without actually letting anyone know. Sounds like he was BS'ing you to convince you to stay with them or something.

iSilver
5th September 2008, 02:31 PM
Why the hell would they just secretly double the limit without actually letting anyone know. Sounds like he was BS'ing you to convince you to stay with them or something.

*BULLSHIT* they probably did it to keep you, if Optus is better value move on, move on - but make sure you keep your eyes on your Optus bill when it comes though ... they're tyrants.

lavo
5th September 2008, 02:55 PM
It's actually 250MB on the $69 plan.

And their network seems to stay up ;)

If you can get in range :p

bengrubb
5th September 2008, 03:04 PM
If you can get in range :p
ooo think you can be all like that now do ya??
My area:
https://coapps.vodafone.com.au/coverage/images/maps/58%20Sunshine%20Coast.gif
Works for me :)
If you want coverage, don't live in the sticks :P

bigvern1263
5th September 2008, 03:18 PM
seriously guys, i am about to get my Iphone, held off until all the dramas had settled and watched all the issues evolve/resolve etc.
Optus might have best plans, but coverage and uptime appear to be at best not good?
Telstra has best coverage but plans/data seem expensive

So i was thinking Voda? All i know is there coverage maps seem to be good and their tech support i can testify is awesome, if you need to use it. (problem with datacard which was resolved). Is coverage as good as they say and is uptime good?

Thanks in advance.

bengrubb
5th September 2008, 03:27 PM
seriously guys, i am about to get my Iphone, held off until all the dramas had settled and watched all the issues evolve/resolve etc.
Optus might have best plans, but coverage and uptime appear to be at best not good?

So i was thinking Voda? All i know is there coverage maps seem to be good and their tech support i can testify is awesome, if you need to use it. (problem with datacard which was resolved). Is coverage as good as they say and is uptime good?

Thanks in advance.

I've been on Voda the whole time, and it's been great.

I guess you could call it the middle carrier.

Not too pricey

Good coverage.

Fantastic up time *touch wood* so far.

bigvern1263
5th September 2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks, thats what i was thinking, although Optus seem to be very cost effective, not much use if you cant actually use the damn thing, price isnt always everything, performance has to meet it..

Too go back to the original post has the data cap doubled with Voda? ie from 250 to 500 on $69 cap ?? or was it in fact a sales tic tac ??

TheWatchman
5th September 2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks in advance.

Optus has been down for me in Sydney once and my iphone is great. Hope you have had fun waiting because I've had fun playing :)

cemil
5th September 2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks, thats what i was thinking, although Optus seem to be very cost effective, not much use if you cant actually use the damn thing, price isnt always everything, performance has to meet it..

Too go back to the original post has the data cap doubled with Voda? ie from 250 to 500 on $69 cap ?? or was it in fact a sales tic tac ??

I'm not sure, to be honest. He did sound fairly confident on it - and he didn't make a big deal about it, just sort of threw it out... Not really sure how to take it?

If someone else can confirm - could be a good insight...

-Cemil

MichaelQ
5th September 2008, 04:47 PM

Because it can often take a few weeks to prep new POS material, flyers, posters etc. Get the website changes made. Have the new codes and stuff ready in the computers.

You don't bang out a plan change overnight - fair bit of work goes into it behind the scenes.

They are probably waiting for the announcement next week to make sure there isn't a RED iPhone or 32Gb version they need to allow for before printing off all the new POS stuff.

bigvern1263
5th September 2008, 04:50 PM
I always wonder about forums and new technology, its like life you take the good with the bad and try and decipher it and make a decision. Its only a phone ,albeit a bloody good one, looking forward to getting it next week, if local Voda turns up stock of a 16GB Black.

lavo
5th September 2008, 05:00 PM
ooo think you can be all like that now do ya??
My area:
https://coapps.vodafone.com.au/coverage/images/maps/58%20Sunshine%20Coast.gif
Works for me :)
If you want coverage, don't live in the sticks :P

What? Perth is now classified by Eastern Staters as "in the sticks"? The view must be pretty good on that high horse :rolleyes:

Madone
5th September 2008, 05:09 PM
What? Perth is now classified by Eastern Staters as "in the sticks"? The view must be pretty good on that high horse :rolleyes:

Having lived there for a couple of years now, I'd not call Perth a city... Supermarkets close at 6pm, ghost town on Sundays, weekend public transport timetabling after 6pm weekdays.

Daylight savings so they can to the beach for longer! :rolleyes:

lavo
5th September 2008, 06:57 PM
Having lived there for a couple of years now, I'd not call Perth a city... Supermarkets close at 6pm, ghost town on Sundays, weekend public transport timetabling after 6pm weekdays.

Most suburban supermarkets close at 10pm. Only Coles and Woolies close at 6pm. The city and Freo are open on Sundays if you want to waste cash.

I agree on public transport - its woeful even during the weekdays :p

Phase
5th September 2008, 07:03 PM

What's that?

I can't hear you on the other side of the continent, you'll have to speak up.
:D

entropy
5th September 2008, 07:09 PM
Most suburban supermarkets close at 10pm. Only Coles and Woolies close at 6pm. The city and Freo are open on Sundays if you want to waste cash.

I agree on public transport - its woeful even during the weekdays :p

So the government has rigged it so you have to pay more for groceries if you work hard and can't get to the shops before 6. And less employment options for schoolkids.

Sounds like a great lifestyle.

PS so when are voda likely to actually announce new plans, I wonder.

Alec Fraser
5th September 2008, 07:18 PM
I've been on Voda the whole time, and it's been great.

I guess you could call it the middle carrier.

Not too pricey

Good coverage.

Fantastic up time *touch wood* so far.

Have to agree with you mate, I've had zero problems with mine and I've been on Vodafone since a few days after the launch when it rocked up via courier and I activated it home without standing in a retarded line only to miss out ;)

lama323
5th September 2008, 07:31 PM
Have to agree with you mate, I've had zero problems with mine and I've been on Vodafone since a few days after the launch when it rocked up via courier and I activated it home without standing in a retarded line only to miss out ;)

same
its been great so far - no problems :)

MichaelQ
5th September 2008, 08:08 PM

What sort of data are you using a month? Is it easy with Voda to keep track of it ?

lavo
5th September 2008, 08:19 PM
So the government has rigged it so you have to pay more for groceries if you work hard and can't get to the shops before 6. And less employment options for schoolkids.

Sounds like a great lifestyle.

PS so when are voda likely to actually announce new plans, I wonder.

So why is it that almost every store that does open late here have ads looking for school kids to work? The ice cream parlour on the main tourist strip in Mandurah had to close at nights as they had no staff to work. Yeah, that would be a good idea to have all shops open later and on Sundays....

Anyhow, back on track. Voda may have finally taken on board the feedback when people jumped ship. I was one of them and told them when asked why I was leaving. Hopefully Voda are starting to get the hint :)

Alec Fraser
5th September 2008, 08:24 PM
What sort of data are you using a month? Is it easy with Voda to keep track of it ?

Go to the myvodafone website, log in, click on plans and entitlements. Your data usage is listed there.

As for what I'm going through, I've got the 250meg cap and with daily email, twitter use, maps and gps use and occasional web use I've still got about 170meg to use by Tuesday next week. Granted your mileage may vary, but that's my usage ;)

bengrubb
5th September 2008, 08:29 PM

Yeeha *giddy up*

jeremy_warnock
5th September 2008, 09:03 PM
coda gonna double my limit??? That ail give me 2gigs a month I don't need.
Voda have been great for me. 3g service always there. Optus may have nailed luanch day but they have screwed the customers since then. The slowest 3g in the world, swapping plan customers to prepaid, just bad supprt over all. Tis the optus arse rape

SRG
5th September 2008, 09:11 PM
Go to the myvodafone website, log in, click on plans and entitlements. Your data usage is listed there.

As for what I'm going through, I've got the 250meg cap and with daily email, twitter use, maps and gps use and occasional web use I've still got about 170meg to use by Tuesday next week. Granted your mileage may vary, but that's my usage ;)

my usage is about the same just don't think I will need more than 250, if they put it up fine but I won't be going away from Voda if they don't.

entropy
5th September 2008, 09:19 PM
Just went and had a look at the plans. They really, really need to be revised to be competitive with Optarse.

ricochet
5th September 2008, 09:29 PM
I don't understand, according to Vodafone's coverage map on their website Perth is fairly well covered with 3G around the city? I guess you must mean full coverage in the suburbs which does look a bit lacking once you venture out a bit:

https://coapps.vodafone.com.au/coverage/images/maps/Perth_ZoomOut.gif

I am certainly still sticking with Telstra for the reach and reliability as I alternate between Perth and Hobart - since they made it $10 for 150MB instead of 20MB it's actually pretty bearable for everyday use

lavo
5th September 2008, 09:35 PM
I don't understand, according to Vodafone's coverage map on their website Perth is fairly well covered with 3G around the city? I guess you must mean full coverage in the suburbs which does look a bit lacking once you venture out a bit:

I am certainly still sticking with Telstra for the reach and reliability as I alternate between Perth and Hobart - since they made it $10 for 150MB instead of 20MB it's actually pretty bearable for everyday use

If you look at the map that anywhere east of the CBD is pretty much out of range, plus to the south. Great coverage for the western suburbs and up the rail line to Clarkson. I left Voda because I live on the limit of the south (10 minutes from the CBD) and work in the east, where I sometimes was lucky to get one bar of GSM coverage. Optus has a better 3g range here than Voda (I get 4 bars of 3g at work in Midland), but still small compared to Telstra's rollout.

Tom125
5th September 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm quite happy with Vodafone now the initial teething problems have been ironed out with the billing. I've never had a problem with the 3G and the speed seems good - coverage and speed comparable or better than a Telstra NextG card I used to have for my work laptop.

I'm not using all my 250MB though... wonder if they'll introduce a lower plan I can downgrade to if they do double the allowances.

MichaelQ
5th September 2008, 10:12 PM
I doubt I would need more than the 250mb - I work from home so 99% of my data access would be wifi. It's just the occasional trips and visits that the phone access would be handy.

Is there a way to cap the data ? Set it so that if you go over you are cut off rather than incurring the insane over limit fees?

Does voda have a prepaid option for the iPhone yet? I usually buy my phones outright and then just go on a low use prepaid plan. But not sure how that works with data.

ebenhero
10th September 2008, 11:07 AM
I am looking at buying an iphone, and notice that the $69 cap includes 500MB of data. (It says 250MB on the front page, but when you click through to subsequent pages say 500MB). Is this, then, an official increase in the data plans?

And just briefly: what is the essential difference between the regular caps and the business plans?

Cheers

MichaelQ
10th September 2008, 11:11 AM
I've just been looking at the same thing. Says 500Mb is included, but there is a charge for going over 250Mb?

Seems like they have half updated things.

Business Plans (now) come with more calls and text included it seems. This is pretty common, although until today I think they were the same as the normal plans. It's only just now I've noticed the bigger limits on the Business Plans. Also you get free / cheaper calls between mobiles on the same account. Need an ABN to qualify.

drewbles
10th September 2008, 11:16 AM

WA. Wait Awhile.

"I got on the plane in Melbourne and it was 7pm. I got off in Perth and it was 1978"

And I can bag Perth, I'm from there :D

ebenhero
10th September 2008, 02:14 PM
I am looking at buying an iphone, and notice that the $69 cap includes 500MB of data.

The website states quite clearly that the 69 cap includes 500MB worth of data. I contacted Vodafone and the person I spoke to seemed surprised by this, confirmed that the plans on the website did indeed indicate 500MB of included data, but checked with her supervisor and came back to say that is was an error. Confusing! I think I will wait to see what happens.

MichaelQ
14th September 2008, 07:44 PM
Still saying 500Mb ....

Seems like if you signed up online you should get the 500Mb - had plenty of time to fix it.

IIe2PB
14th September 2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks in advance.

Don't touch Optus. Their 3g coverage is unbelieveably poor - even in areas where they say it's available. I'm handing mine back and switching back to Telstra. I thought Optus would suck in the sticks, but their coverage sucks in the city, in the burbs - everywhere except the queen st mall as far as I can tell.

bigvern1263
14th September 2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah, got set up with Voda yesterday, all good so far, off traveling soon, so will be able to tell how god they really are..

tonyberinson
14th September 2008, 11:57 PM
WA. Wait Awhile.

"I got on the plane in Melbourne and it was 7pm. I got off in Perth and it was 1978"

And I can bag Perth, I'm from there :D

drewbles

I am from Perth now living in Melbourne - but thank you for that - I havent laughed so long for a while.

tony