PDA

View Full Version : Iphone problem with wireless.

iJohn
5th September 2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Guys,

Up untill the last few days my iphone worked on the home wifi perfectly. Now it it comes up and when i go on to the net it automatically changes to 3g. It hasnt been pawned or anything.

And for some reason when i try to do a restore it comes up with a error "itunes could not sync with the iphone because of unknown error(-19)"

mrbolano
2nd October 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a similar problem and no one answered iJohn's initial request for help.

My iPhone has always chosen my wireless network at home effortlessly, even outside on the street, but just today it stopped doing it. I did a reset through iTunes, urned it on and off a few times. Fiddled with all the network settings but to no avail.

I can only get it o see my network by holding it next to the airport base station while it searches. It connects and then drops out as soon as I turn and walk away.

My wife's phone does not have the same problem so it's not the network.

Any ideas?

mrbolano
2nd October 2008, 09:06 PM
anyone?
Anyone?
Bueller?

Huy
2nd October 2008, 09:08 PM
Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Try that.

mrbolano
2nd October 2008, 10:01 PM
yeah, no love there

Any other suggestions?

Huy
2nd October 2008, 10:04 PM
Reboot the router.
Look at the router security settings. Reduce security as a test.

mrbolano
2nd October 2008, 10:42 PM
Router rebooted - no effect

No security on the router either.

Arghhhhhhhhhh! Looks like its a trip into the apple store for me tomorrow.

skritter
3rd October 2008, 11:14 AM
No security on the router either.

Well that's a brilliant idea! NOT!

mrbolano
3rd October 2008, 12:57 PM
Well that's a brilliant idea! NOT!

Keep your pants on skritter.

You know, there are actually people in the world who advocate a free internet and don't care if they share their broadband with their neighbors. I don't give a shite if a few gigs go missing. We never use up our monthly allotment.

PLUS, my wife's old ibook can't connect if the airport is WPA enabled.

DOUBLE PLUS, no one in my area is stealing my broadband. I'm surrounded by locked networks so the point is MOOT!

Oh, and my phone is still rooted.

mrbolano
3rd October 2008, 02:38 PM
You know, there are actually people in the world who advocate a free internet and don't care if they share their broadband with their neighbors. I don't give a shite if a few gigs go missing.

Plus I'm not the only one who thinks this way (http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/01/securitymatters_0110).

Steal This Wi-Fi (http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/01/securitymatters_0110)

skritter
3rd October 2008, 02:45 PM
Well.... Good for you :rolleyes:

arkenstone
3rd October 2008, 02:48 PM
SAVE THE UNSECURED ACCESS POINT!

They should be cared for and treated with respect.

Protect the Wi-Fi wilderness! (http://www.dansdata.com/gz080.htm)

macrich
8th October 2008, 07:52 AM
I'm having this problem as well. One of the iPhones says that it's connected to the wifi and yet uses 3G and GPRS instead. I've tried taking the WPA2 off the airport, still no luck.
I've tried restarting the airport, still no luck.
I've tried completely restoring the iPhone, still no luck.
Anyone got any useful suggestions to fix this issue?

iJohn
8th October 2008, 03:58 PM
Ok Guys i got mine working. For some reason i change the channel on router to channel 11. Since then started working, so maybe try that guys

mrbolano
13th October 2008, 08:25 PM
I took mine into the apple store George street and the genius guy put it through the ropes and conceeded it was broke so I got me a shiny new iPhone which is cool because my battery sucked a bit (probably because i never calibrated it) and I'd scratched the corners dropping it twice. Alls well that ends with a new iPhone I say.