PDA

View Full Version : Optus 3G network..what could be a possible solution

nando
5th September 2008, 08:47 AM
Anyone who is with optus and had their iPhone since launch date will know how frustrating it has become for using 3G effectively. I mean just yesterday there was an australian wide outage!..

My theory is this...
Optus network can not keep to the demand of usage with iPhone 3g.
The barrier of entry to get an iPhone on Optus is very very minimal...and so you see lots of kids using a powerful data device fetching it very easily!
the lowest price is $20 per month...with that u get 100MBs...
sure...not enough..for normal geeks..but it attracts kids to get an iPhone and ofcoarse they wont know nothing bout the PDA features of the iPhone nor how to tweak their phone..let alone updating their firmware...am sure most dont even know the iPhone needs updating..
so they are stuck with a very bad firmware 2.0.0 that causes trouble for others...
and cuz they are kids they wouldnt know any difference!
if there was a plan that would exclude them kids...so that demand got lowered..I'll be sure that Optus would not have so much problem with their 3G network...
at least they should give the iPhone with a default setting of turning 3G off....
am sure most of them kids dont know how to turn 3G off..! and think that if they turn it off their whole phone will break!?!
talking from experience..cuz i was talking to this guy and i told him to better save battery to turn 3g off....he said..nah..i'll leave it..cuz it may break my phone ?! WTF?!?!?! :mad:

So optus should either lift the barriers of entry to the iPhone say by providing a $49 p month minimum...plan ..or upgrade quickly quickly quickly their 3G network...quick enough to keep with demand..

thats why i become annoyed when i see kids using an iPhone cuz...they dont know @#@# bout it..and they are dragging the @#@# optus 3g network down for the rest of us legit users.
hopefully i didnt offend anyone..but needed to let it out..................:rolleyes:

WhiteiPhone
5th September 2008, 08:50 AM
or optus should separate there iphone network for users who have $49+ plans and let the "kids" have dodgy coverage and all the others to have good signal

forno
5th September 2008, 08:53 AM
wtf????

I am sure Optus want all the customers they can get, even kids, suprisingly they grow up to be adults one day

AFAIK Optus issues are due to the upgrading of the network rather than any over subscription

What about school and uni students with 3G modems, should they be excluded too??

chaosboi
5th September 2008, 08:58 AM
Text message everyone to upgrade to 2.0.2 for a $10 credit

chrome
5th September 2008, 09:02 AM
it's the network. There is a reason optus plans are so cheap compared to Telstra.

nando
5th September 2008, 12:01 PM
or optus should separate there iphone network for users who have $49+ plans and let the "kids" have dodgy coverage and all the others to have good signal

now thats a great idea.....

@Forno:
highschool and Uni students using 3g on their laptops i consider legit..cuz they use their 3g more efficiently than other kids using iphone 3g....
i mean for just listening to music?! yet their 3g is always on and i bet most of those kids are still using 2.0.0!! WTF!

rob05
5th September 2008, 12:19 PM
These outages are not wholly confined to optus and or australia as the same type of issue has been happening with AT&T is the US.

I am starting to wonder if apple has released new info for the carriers for the upcoming firmware release and the carriers are testing against the networks to see what changes need to be made for it to work correctly.

Also yesterday both my iphone and Nokia had no data so it seemed to be affecting all data capable phones.

Galumay
5th September 2008, 04:31 PM
it's the network. There is a reason optus plans are so cheap compared to Telstra.

trust me, thats not the reason tel$tra's plans are so expensive!!

(it may well be that the optus network is overloaded though.)

matthewk
5th September 2008, 04:35 PM
You think its the kids that are the problem? Kids who are more likely to upgrade to 2.0.2 as they know how to?

No its more likely older technophobes who got the really easy to use ohone, as they should have, but don't know how to update it.

silverdreamer
5th September 2008, 04:51 PM
And her we have yet another thread looking for excuses for the problems being experienced with OPTUS.

you seem to forget that OPTUS have only been allocated 1/3 of the total number of iPhones available in the Australian marketplace. So why is OPTUS "Overloaded", and yet Telstra is working fine, and there do not seem to be a great number of complaints from Vodafone customers.

If the OPTUS network was up to scratch, there would be no problems.

The Optus 3G network is DODGY!, get used to it, or pay for Telstras service, or buy a Nokia!

adam89
5th September 2008, 04:51 PM
Why are you acting like Apple made the iPhone specifically for nerds? It's a consumer product... Kids are consumers!

Get over it, switch to non kid-friendly network if you don't like it.

Al Aero
5th September 2008, 04:55 PM
And her we have yet another thread looking for excuses for the problems being experienced with OPTUS.

you seem to forget that OPTUS have only been allocated 1/3 of the total number of iPhones available in the Australian marketplace. So why is OPTUS "Overloaded", and yet Telstra is working fine, and there do not seem to be a great number of complaints from Vodafone customers.

If the OPTUS network was up to scratch, there would be no problems.

The Optus 3G network is DODGY!, get used to it, or pay for Telstras service, or buy a Nokia!

Fan Boy

a.

drewbles
5th September 2008, 04:57 PM
Text message everyone to upgrade to 2.0.2 for a $10 credit

+1

Spot on, READ THIS GUYS. It's apparent no one actually reads anything these days and just assumes 'Zomg!?!! Optus is teh sucks!'

MacNN | Source: 3G problems a mix of software, networking (http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/08/28/true.source.of.3g.issues/)

It's very true. Optus are a victim of bad software design here!

silverdreamer
5th September 2008, 05:04 PM
Fan Boy

a.

Yes, I am a fanboy! A fanboy of a "WORKING AS IT SHOULD" iPhone.

(Actually, the truth of the matter is that Apple got all the reject iPhones from the factory, and decided to ship them "all" off to OPTUS!)

You lot are the "fanboys", constantly looking for excuses for your "Cheap & Nasty" service provider.

decryption
5th September 2008, 05:07 PM
Where did you get those stats from silverdreamer? As far as I know, there's much more iPhone customers on Optus than on either Telstra or Vodafone combined - that must mean that Optus has more iPhones cause well, the sold more :p

Optus still suck though.

silverdreamer
5th September 2008, 05:15 PM
Where did you get those stats from silverdreamer? As far as I know, there's much more iPhone customers on Optus than on either Telstra or Vodafone combined - that must mean that Optus has more iPhones cause well, the sold more :p

Optus still suck though.

I thought each of the three networks advised on release they had 5,000 units. One would assume they are getting equal share of any new stock arriving.

anyway, the iPhones been around 2 mths now Anthony, time we had a fresh who's with what carrier Poll, and find out. A carrier satisfaction component would be interesting as well.:cool:

Linux_insidev2
5th September 2008, 05:21 PM
The outages are due to optus upgrading to an untested and unreliable Ericcson provided 3G platform.

nando
7th September 2008, 12:27 AM
even if it where true that the 3 carriers got the same number of iPhones I think is reasonable to say that optus sold the most iPhones cuz their plans are dead cheap compare to telstra or Vodafone so my point stands that cuz they are so cheap there's a greater number of kids that don't know of how to use an iPhone and staying on a dodgy firmware 2.0.0 and bringing all legit users down if optus were honest bout their network capabilities they will restrict the number of users by not giving so cheap plans

lama323
7th September 2008, 12:37 AM
that's a pretty generalized statement don't you think nando? Do you have any facts to back up your claim ... Or are you basing your argument on a rediculous stereotype?

silverdreamer
7th September 2008, 10:03 AM
that's a pretty generalized statement don't you think nando? Do you have any facts to back up your claim ... Or are you basing your argument on a rediculous stereotype?

His argument is inherently flawed, insomuch as the iPhone is the simplest phone I have ever used. Any "Twit", (or Portugese chicken), could learn how to use it in no time at all.

Shaxbon
7th September 2008, 10:23 AM
I thought each of the three networks advised on release they had 5,000 units. One would assume they are getting equal share of any new stock arriving.

One would also Assume that Apple wouldn't keep sending Vodafone and Telstra another 5000 iPhones if they're not shipping all those iPhones otherwise Vodafone and Telstra would just have a stockpile of iPhones which is pointless if Optus is selling more.

No-one can provide statistics because well there are no actual statistics, its all up in the air.

What we all can say and comment on is the amount of people on the Optus network and the amount of people you can see constantly lining up in Optus stores wanting iPhones.

nando
7th September 2008, 11:29 AM
ok so let's assume even your cat knows how to use an iPhone still with prices as low as $20 p month the iPhone seems like a great toy that consumes lots of data and given Optus network it makes their network run like #**#?! so my point stays 2 options 1 either stop selling so many phones or quickly pump up their network to keep with demand

silverdreamer
7th September 2008, 12:10 PM
.......................... What we all can say and comment on is the amount of people on the Optus network and the amount of people you can see constantly lining up in Optus stores wanting iPhones.

The only thing you can safely say at this stage, is that OPTUS are "Way out in front", when it comes to iPhone complaints. :rolleyes:

Exocet
7th September 2008, 04:17 PM
ok so let's assume even your cat knows how to use an iPhone still with prices as low as $20 p month the iPhone seems like a great toy that consumes lots of data and given Optus network it makes their network run like #**#?! so my point stays 2 options 1 either stop selling so many phones or quickly pump up their network to keep with demand

Post BEFORE taking speed, seriously.

Ecto1
7th September 2008, 04:34 PM
there's a greater number of kids that don't know of how to use an iPhone and staying on a dodgy firmware 2.0.0

Ok so, it all the kids that don't know how to use the iphone. and are on dodgy 2.0.0 thats to blame for all the crap optus 3g reception. As much as i love Apple, there as much to blame for this mess as optus is. As Apple did not allow testing of the 3g iphone months before street date in fear of iphones getting out.

If apple allowed 3g testing by all 3 telcos then, we may not of been in this mess in the first place.

hinow2007
7th September 2008, 04:44 PM
Ok so, it all the kids that don't know how to use the iphone. and are on dodgy 2.0.0 thats to blame for all the crap optus 3g reception. As much as i love Apple, there as much to blame for this mess as optus is. As Apple did not allow testing of the 3g iphone months before street date in fear of iphones getting out.

If apple allowed 3g testing by all 3 telcos then, we may not of been in this mess in the first place.

still optus has no excuse for their horrible 3g network

other carriers are suffering from the same problems but they still get faster speeds

(ps: agree on the apple part. love them but should of allowed testing)

TheWatchman
7th September 2008, 04:50 PM
Anyone who is with optus and had their iPhone since launch date will know how frustrating it has become for using 3G effectively. I mean just yesterday there was an australian wide outage!..

My theory is this...
The barrier of entry to get an iPhone on Optus is very very minimal...and so you see lots of kids using a powerful data device fetching it very easily!
the lowest price is $20 per month...with that u get 100MBs...
sure...not enough..for normal geeks..but it attracts kids to get an iPhone and ofcoarse they wont know nothing bout the PDA features of the iPhone nor how to tweak their phone..let alone updating their firmware...am sure most dont even know the iPhone needs updating..
so they are stuck with a very bad firmware 2.0.0 that causes trouble for others...
and cuz they are kids they wouldnt know any difference!
if there was a plan that would exclude them kids...so that demand got lowered..I'll be sure that Optus would not have so much problem with their 3G network...
at least they should give the iPhone with a default setting of turning 3G off....
am sure most of them kids dont know how to turn 3G off..! and think that if they turn it off their whole phone will break!?!
talking from experience..cuz i was talking to this guy and i told him to better save battery to turn 3g off....he said..nah..i'll leave it..cuz it may break my phone ?! WTF?!?!?! :mad:

So optus should either lift the barriers of entry to the iPhone say by providing a $49 p month minimum...plan ..or upgrade quickly quickly quickly their 3G network...quick enough to keep with demand..

thats why i become annoyed when i see kids using an iPhone cuz...they dont know @#@# bout it..and they are dragging the @#@# optus 3g network down for the rest of us legit users.
hopefully i didnt offend anyone..but needed to let it out..................:rolleyes:

Offended me greatly. I am 17, which many old people would call a kid so I'm not sure if I'm included. If you've ever met me, you know that I know a lot more about computers, phones etc. than most 17 year olds but there are many more like me out there so I don't think that you should just make a stereotype that kids know less about the phone than an adult. In fact, I would even be game to state the opposite. A lot of people using the iPhone are just that, consumers, the same people you see using macs cause they are easier to use than Windows.

Both demographics involve the consumer "idiots" as you say using the iPhone.

However, I'm more than happy to the suggestion another person said, better service for thos on $50+ plans. I'm on the $59 plan so I'm cool with that :D

Meh 626
7th September 2008, 05:01 PM
Offended me greatly. I am 17, which many old people would call a kid so I'm not sure if I'm included. If you've ever met me, you know that I know a lot more about computers, phones etc. than most 17 year olds but there are many more like me out there so I don't think that you should just make a stereotype that kids know less about the phone than an adult. In fact, I would even be game to state the opposite. A lot of people using the iPhone are just that, consumers, the same people you see using macs cause they are easier to use than Windows.

Both demographics involve the consumer "idiots" as you say using the iPhone.

Seconded!

My theory is this...

If you don't like Optus' network, switch.

spilla
7th September 2008, 05:22 PM
If you don't like Optus' network, switch.

It's either quite expensive or difficult to switch when you're locked into a 24-month contract. :(

Ecto1
7th September 2008, 05:37 PM

There was????? Maybe your one of those kids, with dodgy 2.0.0 firmware.

Apart from having no reception from time to time, I have never had a 3g issue. Ok sure 3g is not huge in my house. Sure we get it, but it patchy at times. But thats ok i have it hooked up to my wireless network. But when i am not at home i get 3g fine.

benzoenator
7th September 2008, 05:58 PM
Sounds like you've got a bit of an elitist problem mate. Kids have just as much right to use the iPhone as you do I'm an owner of an iPhone on Optus, as well as being sixteen (falling under the accepted definition of a kid), and I can't think of a single reason as to why you should get priority over the network over me. I'd say kids are going to be far more likely to upgrade to the newer firmware versions than some of the older users.

For one, you can't get an iPhone for $20 a month. Sure, the plans exist, but what are the monthly repayments on the phone? Massive. I can tell you know, there aren't many kids out there that have them. In a high school of 700, I know one other student who has one. The majority of kids out there that actually own the device are most likely fans (thus knowing the majority of its features), rather than snobby kids walking down the street who see it in a shop window who start kicking, screaming and crying until their parents buy them one.

I suggest you put yourself in the shoes of someone who is younger and owns an iPhone. Why the hell should an obvious minority of the iPhone market take a hit in terms of 3G speed and coverage so the older, 'better' users can have a speed bump.

Meh 626
7th September 2008, 06:00 PM
It's either quite expensive or difficult to switch when you're locked into a 24-month contract. :(

I understand that, but if you are very annoyed/angry at Optus' coverage/reception wouldn't you switch?

I have had no major issue with Optus network, only to say the 3G is not always available where it should be.

Sounds like you've got a bit of an elitist problem mate. Kids have just as much right to use the iPhone as you do I'm an owner of an iPhone on Optus, as well as being sixteen (falling under the accepted definition of a kid), and I can't think of a single reason as to why you should get priority over the network over me. I'd say kids are going to be far more likely to upgrade to the newer firmware versions than some of the older users.

For one, you can't get an iPhone for $20 a month. Sure, the plans exist, but what are the monthly repayments on the phone? Massive. I can tell you know, there aren't many kids out there that have them. In a high school of 700, I know one other student who has one. The majority of kids out there that actually own the device are most likely fans (thus knowing the majority of its features), rather than snobby kids walking down the street who see it in a shop window who start kicking, screaming and crying until their parents buy them one.

I suggest you put yourself in the shoes of someone who is younger and owns an iPhone. Why the hell should an obvious minority of the iPhone market take a hit in terms of 3G speed and coverage so the older, 'better' users can have a speed bump.

Totally agree with you benzoenator. 97% of the amount of iPhone's I see are owned by older people, 18+.

lama323
7th September 2008, 07:36 PM

couldn't of said it any better...

IIe2PB
7th September 2008, 08:09 PM
I do wonder whether the problem with optus is partially that because of the call and data rates you can actually afford to use the thing. I'm sure that puts lots more traffic through the network. If I was with Telstra i'd just have to sit and admire it because if I used it I'd have to sell a child :o

coolkid092
7th September 2008, 08:41 PM
There are more kids than u would actually expect that have a iPhone... Take my school for example, there are 1000ish kids and there is around 70-80 iPhones, with alot of kids getting one under the tree this year... And alot of kids from the other High Schools have iPhones in wagga...

And to say that the older users should get the full 3G speeds and everyone else be put on the slower speeds is wrong and if you thought about it a little more, mum or dad signs up for the phone if going on a plan so they'd be technically and older user as said.

Oh and may i add im with Telstra because there gud and i get full bars and thr fastest downloads capable by the phone everytime i need them...

(I'd rather pay for the better service and data speeds:D)

Domenic
7th September 2008, 08:43 PM
Wait wait wait, so the problem isn't the kids... it's the cats using the iPhone! Of course! Those nasty buggers. Always sneaking off and spending a couple of hundred dollars on some mobile communications device.

Seriously though, you're using an extremely flawed argument here, with a very generalised stereotypical viewpoint of these "kids" of which you speak. I know alot of "kids" who have way better grammar and spelling than you, let alone how to operate an iPhone.

Whilst you still have a valid opinion (that Optus should keep up with demand for iPhone) you shouldn't go pinpointing the problem on certain demographics within society, when you have little statistical or satisfacory evidence to enforce your opinion, and especially based on these massive generalisations about "kids" you are making.

DarkSpark
7th September 2008, 08:56 PM
first of all "kids" can't get phones on plans without mummy and daddy around unless they buy it outright which is more than 20$ a month.

Second, why would the optis network only just start having problems when the iPhone is released.

The amount of iPhones wouldn't even be comparable too the amount of regular 3g phones.

How about you all stop with the pathetic excuses for optus and keep on WISHING you didn't take the cheapest option.

rob05
7th September 2008, 08:59 PM
For me the Optus network is really no worse than it was when I used a Nokia mobile phone the same issues where around more than 12 months ago and haven't really gotten any worse.

Around the city and sydney in general the are known black spots which cause coverage issues hopefully someday these will be sorted out.

fompsweeva
7th September 2008, 09:13 PM
This thread is a joke.

Optus should upgrade their network so everyone can use it.

MissionMan
7th September 2008, 11:04 PM
Glad I'm on Telstra for once.

LithgowLights
8th September 2008, 08:24 AM
I have had no major issue with Optus network, only to say the 3G is not always available where it should be.

Yep exactly the same here. Yes I have been affected by a couple of outages, but thems the breaks. I was just as affected before the iphone was out when using my old 6110, so it's not a new thing. I'd still rather pay Optus for what I get than the same $ to Telstra and be severely limited in data.

I would like Optus to increase 3G coverage and make the system more reliable, but the only way they could do that overnight would be to charge like Telstra, and I dont want that :(

nando
8th September 2008, 08:34 AM
wow...sorry if ppl got really offended..was not my intention..
basically what i said...maybe i shouldnt had pinpointing...and believe me is not an elitist thing too..
BUT...may point was very simple...Optus is becoming a failure of its own success.. and it gets frustrating when there is outages and u really need to access 3g...or even 2G and none work..
and basically optus is not doing a good job in keeping with demand..
!.

mcargy08
8th September 2008, 11:08 AM
no worries with the optus 3g network here in tassie. I'm with virgin but everything seems to be working alright. Although there are times that 3g network drops and I still get GPRS. Never had a single drop call since I had the iPhone from launch and I use my iPhone to call overseas.

silverdreamer
8th September 2008, 11:19 AM
This thread is a joke.

what else would you expect from the "P76" of Australian service providers.:p