PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading from 2.0 to 1.1.4 (2G iPhone only)???

kyte
5th September 2008, 06:59 AM
I am really fed up with my now mostly unreliable iPhone, to the point where I am seriously considering just using it as an iPod and using an ordinary phone for calls etc.

I want to downgrade to what was an extremely stable 1.1.4 and I followed the Mac instruction here (http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/general/237491-pc-mac-guide-downgrade-2-0-1-1-4-a.html#post1485961) which a) has duplicated lines and b) seemed to completely stuff my phone for a while until I reupgraded to iTunes 7.7 and FW2.0.2

Does anybody have a complete and functioning set of instructions for downgrading? I'd be very grateful if you would share :)

TIA

stevekicks
5th September 2008, 07:18 AM
hey kyte.. i followed this guide, worked perfectly.

Hack that Phone - Downgrading 2.0 firmware to 1.1.4 firmware (http://www.hackthatphone.com/20/downgrading_2_0_firmware.html)

ive been on 2.0 then 2.0.1 then 2.0.2 but 1.1.4 is SOOO much faster and responsive than any of the 2.0.x releases. installer has free versions of the small number of apps i was using from the appstore anyway.

are you on telstra? if so.. i can upload the telstra carrier bundle from 2.0.x firmware and instructions on how to put it on your 1.1.4 phone.

kyte
5th September 2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the link... on reading it says its for those who did NOT use pwnage tool and bootneuter... alas, I have, as per laughingbird's instructions to get to version 2 of the firmware...

Looks like I might be stuck for the moment... though I have subsequently found some more links, I'll check all of them :-/

Thanks anyway :)

stevekicks
5th September 2008, 04:32 PM
i had 2.0.2 which was pwned using pwnagetool/bootneuter. worked fine for me.

just plug your phone in, and restore to stock standard 2.0.2 firmware. then follow his steps

kyte
6th September 2008, 07:29 AM
i had 2.0.2 which was pwned using pwnagetool/bootneuter. worked fine for me.

just plug your phone in, and restore to stock standard 2.0.2 firmware. then follow his steps

I'm giving up. I promised myself I would just stop trying if last nights hours of effort failed.

Its tempting though....oh what the heck, its raining and miserable here and i don't feel like doing the vacuuming.

kyte
6th September 2008, 08:16 AM
Hmm, so I am now following that tutorial, and I don't get any scrolling code at all... did you? My iphone still has the itunes logo and cable, and pwnage is still telling me its "pwning" on my iPhone.

[Edit] One step which has not been mentioned anywhere in any of the tutorials that I have looked at is the fact that you must also quit the iTunes Helper as well as iTunes, in order to get pwnage tool 1.1 to work. I suddenly remembered this step from last years efforts with the iPhone... I now get the scrolling code, and am now restoring the custom firmware.

And it seems to have worked!!!! Now to downgrade the modem firmware... oh thank god... its in the recovery mode of kiphone but I feel confident that the rest of it is going to go smoothly.

Damn, I wish I remembered about the itunes helper before.

And thanks again for that link, the instructions were much clearer than any of the other places I looked at.

[Edit #2] Done and dusted. I've decided not to bother doing the second restore to get modem to the next version, now that its downgraded, I am going to leave it there. Everything is so much faster. I had forgotten. I don't need the app store that much, and those things I have paid for will wait until I get a 3G iphone, if I ever do.

stevekicks
6th September 2008, 10:59 AM
nice one... it took me some time but i got there too. if you used pwnage tool to create your custom firmware and clicked the "upgrade baseband" and "unlock baseband" you will have the right version on your phone.

kyte
6th September 2008, 11:58 AM
Whoopeeeeee!

I've now got most of my apps back. I'll mis the facebook app, and thats probably about all, but I will only miss it for a minute. I don't HAVE to upload pix everywhere I go :)

Got my solitaire (yes I paid for the "Top3" in the app store. oh well. Ditto Trism (but I only ever played the basic game anyway)... and I dont have aurora feint or cubes or ... oh well... later when I get a 3G phone. maybe.

Got my Books app back, as well as the ebooks from some1guy and chriss. Got WeDict. Got Summerboard (hated Winterboard) with my Aqwoah theme (but seems like he has dropped the keyboard skin, dammit, its not even in the VIP repo... yes, paid for that too) Chuzzle, iZoo and Agile Messenger. And am about to install Fring. Oh the joy of it all...

ok, settling down now :)

[Edit] Then again, it seems that nobody is doing much for the 2G phone and old firmware. Its all Cydia and appstore. Even Cydia on 1.1.4 is not being supported now, according to the notice when you first install it. Thats a pain because the phone is markedly more stable on the older firmware. Oh well, I think maybe I will have to upgrade to a 3G phone. sometime.

[Edit#2: Monday 8th] It seems it doesnt matter what I do, I am not satisfied. I'm just rebuilding a pwned .ipsw and am going to reinstall 2.0.2. Too many things I missed (unexpectedly), alas. I'll figure out a way of improving reliability, even if it means going without a bazillion apps. Days off, and its back to 2.0.2