PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Hard Drives

Byrd
27th April 2005, 10:12 AM
Quite a cool new development in hard drive/flash memory products is Samsung's 'Hybrid' hard drive (http://www.techsmec.com/index.php/2005/04/26/samsung_demonstrate_hybrid_drives), which consists of a flash memory drive that once the write buffer is full, the hard drive spins up and write data to it.

Flash memory is much faster than mechanical hard drives, and uses a fraction of the power to run - this would be a great inclusion in Apple's notebook range. The price also seems to be dropping substantially on flash memory products, so this would be an economically viable option in the future.

There would be issues with writing to the drive I'd imagine - currently flash-based memory products have a limited life span, so unless Samsung have overcome this the release date of 2006 seems very optimistic.

JB

hawker
27th April 2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Byrd@Apr 27 2005, 10:12 AM
Flash memory is much faster than mechanical hard drives, and uses a fraction of the power to run - this would be a great inclusion in Apple's notebook range.
Might help cool down a PowerBook G5!

Maybe it might be for the next generation of super iPod's. I think the next iPod should be an 80GB called Power Pod :P

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 10:17 AM
very cool concept.
definatly wont work with current technology as Byrd said

hawker
27th April 2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Apr 27 2005, 10:17 AM
definatly wont work with current technology as Byrd said
Still, they might know something we do not...

If the technology there, the people are there to perfect it, and make it better :)

It shall be overcome ;)

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 10:39 AM
it will be overcome but its not going to happen overnight.
hundreds of millions of R&D will be required

Byrd
27th April 2005, 10:43 AM
Oh well the blurb says they're designing it for Microsoft's Longhorn, so dreeeeam on guys :D

JB

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 10:45 AM
oh so that 2006 date will soon be revised till 2010 :)
but then it will be missing features

hawker
27th April 2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Apr 27 2005, 10:45 AM
oh so that 2006 date will soon be revised till 2010 :)
but then it will be missing features
Classic... So True.

I guess time will tell.

In any case, Steve will probably steal it and make it better :)

foonster
27th April 2005, 11:04 AM
Um, isn't this kinda what the iPod does anyways? The Samsung drive will probably be 2.5inch and have a larger flash/buffer memory - but just add a battery, display and PlayerPortal chip and you'll get an iPod super!

BTW what is the buffer memory size in iPods? It'd be interesting to know how Apple works out the cost/benefit of increasing iPod battery life by increasing buffer size and/or battery power life.

hawker
27th April 2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by foonster@Apr 27 2005, 11:04 AM
BTW what is the buffer memory size in iPods? It'd be interesting to know how Apple works out the cost/benefit of increasing iPod battery life by increasing buffer size and/or battery power life.
Not sure.

But can probably be worked out off of the "skip time"

Although I have to say. in owning a first gen 10GB, and a third gen 40GB and now a fourth gen 60GB Photo. I have never had a song skip on me. And I do run and do alot of fast walking.... B)

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 11:16 AM
older ipods had 32mb of sdram onboard which acted as a buffer
that was 3g's.i think 4g's are the same