PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Broadband - Volume Received Seems Excessive

Disclaimer
3rd September 2008, 11:05 AM
I recently purchased one of the Optus wireless broadband packages (1GB per month) and I'm a little concerned how quickly the Data Received figure is increasing.

Can anyone tell me if approximately 10MB seems excessive when I log in, download maybe 3-4 standard emails and look at 3-4 average websites - all in the space of about 5 minutes? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine gets by with almost all her internet use on one of these plans, yet - at the rate I'm going - I'd barely get to look at 12-15 simple websites per day (much less upload a few images to a website I started or send/receive any email attachments).

Would MobileMe's auto sync be causing a problem, even though no amendments have been made to iCal, Mail etc.? Is there anything else that may be sucking up my quota in the background? Or does this sound completely normal and I should resign myself to getting little return on my 2 year investment?

Honestly, I seem to get more out of my iPhone, on which I've used under 70MB in almost 2 months. :(

Cheers.

tcn33
3rd September 2008, 11:15 AM
Sounds like you're postpaid, which means you're being billed by the KB for both uploads and downloads. If you've got Little Snitch or something similar installed, you can see what's accessing the network.

ClockWork
3rd September 2008, 11:16 AM
Unless I had absolutely no other options, I'd never buy Broadband off either Optus or BigPond.

10 MB isn't really that accessive, and a dowload limit of 1GB is really not a lot at all - especially when one considers that the last Apple Update that took Mac OS 10.5.2 to Mac OS 10.5.4, weighed in at 560 MB - and that'd be half your quota blown.

Various web pages can be quite heavy, without one knowing about it, and one must remember that every click we make is also a download, as is every piece of text we see online, every image, every animated advertisement - and so forth.

Apps such as Skype use a lot of download and upload.

Are you using a Wireless connection from where you're working, or a Wired connection, such as Ethernet?

Wireless connections require a WEP or a WAP Password to be set into the modem so that your neighbours can't ride your signal.

The amount is only accessive if one's download / upload limit is profoundly restricted.

As an example, see standard iiNet Plans and Pricing (http://www.iinet.net.au/products/broadband/plans.html). Select the No Phone radio button, in there.

Cheers,

cw

kim jong il
3rd September 2008, 11:16 AM
I have no idea how typical this might be but have no real trouble chewing through 300 - 800 MB per day without torrents.

Disclaimer
3rd September 2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys...

tcn33, I'm actually referring to the little monitor that shows my downloads as they happen - not my bill. Though you're right, it's a post-paid contract. I just don't think that has any effect on the data usage on my end...

ClockWork, I'm using the little mobile broadband USB modem. Sorry, should I be calling it "wireless broadband" or "mobile broadband"? I called it the latter when signing up with Optus and got rudely corrected. Now I call it "wireless" and it sounds like I'm talking about home wi-fi. *Sigh* I get so confused.

I do have very good home wi-fi access, by the way, but it's a friend's account. This USB thingy is just my mobile back up when out and about without wi-fi access. But still... I thought it'd go a little further than it seems to be.

Ah well...

tcn33
3rd September 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm actually referring to the little monitor that shows my downloads as they happen - not my bill. Though you're right, it's a post-paid contract. I just don't think that has any effect on the data usage on my end...
It does actually, because prepaid wireless counts your downloads differently. Since you're postpaid that's not the issue though, so I'd go with some sort of Mac-based monitoring of your actual network traffic to see if there are any disparities.

decryption
3rd September 2008, 12:15 PM
Cheetah Watch is fantastic: CheetahWatch: Huawei E220/E270 HSDPA Monitor for Mac OS X (http://m.ac.nz/cheetahwatch/)