PDA

View Full Version : Any Reason Why 12" Ibook= !superdrive?

jerrah
26th April 2005, 07:35 PM
Hi,

I've been tossing up between a 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook. I actually prefer the plastic case of the iBook and looking at the two models in an applestore on the weekend left me feeling like the Powerbook was a bit fragile. (display model screen hinge felt dodgy)

I really would like a superdrive, is there any reason why I couldn't buy a 12" iBook and stick a superdrive in it? Why wouldn't apple offer a superdrive in the 12"? They offer it in the 14" iBook, but I don't want a machine that large. :)

Also - has anyone had experience buying a slot loading superdrive aftermarket, or could point me to where I could buy one?

Thanks.

Snowy28
26th April 2005, 07:41 PM
The powerbook is a much better machine.

It is a pro line of notebooks, compared to the consumer line of iBooks.

You cannot purchase a SuperDrive for the 12inch iBook, as it would detract sales from the powerbook.

I would say go for the poewrbook, they are much better than an iBook, and if you can afford it, go for it.

jerrah
26th April 2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Snowy28@Apr 26 2005, 07:41 PM
You cannot purchase a SuperDrive for the 12inch iBook, as it would detract sales from the powerbook.
Well why would they offer the superdrive in the 14" iBook? The PB would still be a faster machine (cpu/bus/hdd/etc).

I'm not convinced, and to be perfectly honest if I could get hold of a slot loading drive for cheap enough I wouldn't hesitate to install it myself.

Is the pB a better machine than the iB? Absolutely - no question.
I think I would still prefer a plastic laptop.

mvjs
26th April 2005, 07:53 PM
Another factor is heat, but if they can fit it in the mini, you can fit it anywhere!

Snowy28
26th April 2005, 07:53 PM
The iBook is physically a smaller machine, which means it's harder to put the drive in.

Also, Apple are a company that want to make money. They do not want to offer the highest end CD drives in a lowest end laptop.

the_OM
26th April 2005, 07:56 PM
Try MCE,
They're a U.S. company that do superdrives for ibooks:
This is the one you need: http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchan..._Code=STORDVDRW (http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IBOOKSLDVDR8DL-A&Category_Code=STORDVDRW)

you can get it done, but it'll be expensive.

dev_enter
26th April 2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Snowy28@Apr 26 2005, 08:53 PM
The iBook is physically a smaller machine
Oh?

iBook dimensions:
Size and weight (12.1-inch model)

* Height: 3.42 cm (1.35 inches)
* Width: 28.5 cm (11.2 inches)
* Depth: 23.0 cm (9.06 inches)
* Weight: 2.2 kg (4.9 pounds)

PowerBook dimensions:
Size and weight (12-inch model)

* Height: 3.0 cm (1.18 inches)
* Width: 27.7 cm (10.9 inches)
* Depth: 21.9 cm (8.6 inches)
* Weight: 2.1 kg (4.6 pounds) with battery and optical drive installed

Arkhum_Eramak
26th April 2005, 08:14 PM
There are also some Double Layer 8x burners about the place...I saw one on an Aus website for less than $300....just saying

jerrah
26th April 2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Apr 26 2005, 07:53 PM
Another factor is heat, but if they can fit it in the mini, you can fit it anywhere!
A laptop optical drive is a laptop optical drive. I find it hard to believe that a Dvd burner would produce any more heat that a Cd burner drive.

Same thing for the size, the drives are all produced to a standard, and I wouldn't be suprised in the slightest if a 'superdrive' is just a generic laptop dvd+-rw drive.

Not that slot loading drives would be common.

Pull apart a 12" pB and a 12" iB and I bet the drives are almost identical. Or a 14" ibook or a 15" pB for that matter.

As for stealing market share, as it has been said, iBook is consumer grade and pBook is pro... But consumers still burn dvd's, and I think that the users who would buy a pB will still buy a pB and iB purchasers would have the option of shelling out more cash.

ANYway... The whole point of this rant was to say, it'd be nice if it was an option, but if I could buy an aftermarket drive at an acceptable price (i.e. pB spare parts) I'll just wack it in myself.

Maybe a superdrive will be an option in next iBook update, afterall standard dvd's will be old hat when the pB has blu-ray etc. ;)

jerrah
26th April 2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@Apr 26 2005, 08:14 PM
There are also some Double Layer 8x burners about the place...I saw one on an Aus website for less than $300....just saying
I presume you're refering to 5 1/4 desktop drives, they deffinately won't fit. :D

the_OM
26th April 2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by jerrah@Apr 26 2005, 08:43 PM
I presume you're refering to 5 1/4 desktop drives, they deffinately won't fit. :D
I think he's probably referring to slot-losding drives.

5-1/4 8x burners are under $100 these days. If they're around $300 then they'd have to slot-loading.

bergerac
26th April 2005, 09:09 PM
Just did a quick google... this might be what you looking for, though its not very cheap. Im assuming the drives in the iBook conform to a standard size. I think ill put one of these and a 5400rpm drive in my iBook as soon as the warrently runs out :) not going to risk voiding my warranty untill then

EDIT: It would help if I put the link in

Burner (http://www.meritline.com/panasonic-uj-845-b-8x-slim-dvd-drive-bundle-nero-suite-software-pc.html)

Arkhum_Eramak
26th April 2005, 09:13 PM
Nope, I'm a psycho modder and a hardware geek, it was definately a Mac supported slot loading 8x Double Layer DVD drive. And DVD burners give off heat like buggery. Don't ask me why, but I had a pioneer 8x 5 1/4 with a fan in it and the thing gets really hot when burning DVDs. Crazy-go-nuts.

Saw it a few months ago, was gonna get one but didn't have the cash, then forgot the web address.....I feel pretty stupid now...I wanted to get one for a G4 Cube or my iBook....hey, how cool would a SNES modded as an external IEEE1394b burner or Disk array be? Wow....that'd be the tough....

bergerac
26th April 2005, 09:16 PM
From a quick search on ebay it also seems the powerbooks used a older version of that drive. There was a few of the older drives for sale but they were more expensive the the new drive in the link above

cbennie
26th April 2005, 09:24 PM
THe powerbook is unqestionably a better machine (performance wise) and if durability is your issue then the powerbook is agian your machine - my powerbook goes from work to home everyday, travels with me interstate etc and while I consider myself reasonably careful - things happen you can't avoid but after having mine for over 18 months you'd be hard pressed to find a single 'obvious' scratch on it.

This may not be an option for you as it reduces the portability factor but have you considered an external firewire burner? Lacie has just released one with a laser label bunrer in it - nifty idea.

Personally, if money is not the only issue and you can spring for the pb - I'd go for it. Not sure if it would work out much cheaper to buy ibook with external burner anyway.

Chris

bergerac
26th April 2005, 09:27 PM
http://www.eyo.com.au/details_L-DVR-K04L.html

God you got me started :)

jerrah
26th April 2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by cbennie@Apr 26 2005, 09:24 PM
have you considered an external firewire burner?
Thanks for the comments guys.

An external dvd burner kinda misses the point of having a small form factor do everything laptop. (I have a dual layer does everything dvd burner in my pc)

How many DVD's would I be burning on the road? Probably not that many but I'd still like the option.

I ride a motorbike as my primary transport (car as supermarket mule) and so the flexibility of the laptop can come into play. I know this sounds cruel to my hardware, but for an example : I was involved in an accident once that had me 'commando rolling' across the bonnet of a car (unlicenced driver doing 3 point turn across double lines on a narrow street which had walls on each side.)... My current plastic laptop survived to live another day (el flexo) my fear is if a similar situation were to occur, an all metal pB might come out requiring a trip to the panel beaters...

The laptop was in a padded laptop backpack and was securely fastened to my back.

I'm sure it's a non-issue. I think it was that picture of the bent 15" pB on these forums that gave me a scare.

I'll dwell on it.

jerrah
26th April 2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by bergerac@Apr 26 2005, 09:27 PM
God you got me started :)
Hey that's not such a bad price.

$200ish hey... Report back after you've installed it. :D

bergerac
26th April 2005, 11:30 PM
Still got 6 months on my warranty so Im not touching it untill that runs out.. B)

josh64
26th April 2005, 11:46 PM
Check this out,
It's already been done

http://www.hardmac.com/article.php?id=23

4x superdrive in a 12" ibookg4. That was before the 8x drives came out for notebooks, so it wouldn't be much different.