PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Wifi Compatability Issues...

opilot87
3rd September 2008, 02:03 AM
Since getting my 3G iPhone on launch day, I have not managed to get it to work on our wireless network at home. Which is also a bummer, because I only have a REALLY weak gsm signal, so I cant really access the net at home unless its just a weather update as its very slow.

Anyway I was playing around with the router settings the other day, and turned off the encryption. Its usually on 128 bit WEP. When it was off, I tried to connect my iPhone, and with some joy it worked perfectly!

However I obviously dont want to leave the network unsecured, so I have turned it back on, and can longer connect the iphone. Does anyone know why it doesnt connect with 128 bit WEP encrption on? Is it some compatibility issue or a encrption that iphone doesnt support??

Any help from some cluey members would be great as I would really like to use the Wifi feature while at home.

Thanks in advance,

Olivier

Mac Ram
3rd September 2008, 02:13 AM
Does the iPhone see your wireless network?

If yes, does it ask for your security p/w when you try to connect?

tcn33
3rd September 2008, 05:43 AM
I have two iPhones connected to a 128-bit WEP network, so there's not a compatibility issue.

Just to eliminate the obvious: When you're entering the password into your iPhone, make sure you use the full 26 hex character key and not the passphrase used to generate it.

http://img.skitch.com/20080902-m3myt2neijc7aquw865cr6mx81.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/toby/w7yj/dd-wrt-wireless-security)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/toby/w7yj/dd-wrt-wireless-security) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

drzeus
3rd September 2008, 06:05 AM
I read a lot of people in other forums had the same issue with the first Gen iPhone as well. It seems they all managed to fix it by switching to using WPA encryption. It seems the WEP handling is buggy.

kogi
3rd September 2008, 07:38 AM
OMG, if your using WEP, the encryption might as well be turned off. Switch to WPA

opilot87
3rd September 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies...

My iphone does 'see' my network, I then go to connect, and type in the big 26 hex key which is pretty tedious on the iphone, and then OK. It even seems happy, the wireless symbol comes up in the top left. But then if I go to use the internet in Safari or somthing, the wireless symbol goes away and it cant get any wireless access. I have never been able to get the 'remote' application running also so its not just net access, seems whenever it tries to use the network it realises it cannot.

Didn't know WEP wasnt a good encryption, but from memory (its a really old router, think its only 802.11 a/b) it only offers me no encryption, or 64 bit or 128 bit WEP. I guess my only option is a new router if I want wireless connection???

Olivier

Mac Ram
3rd September 2008, 03:14 PM
Anything else connecting wirelessly to your router?

If not can you get somebody to try - may help to confirm it's the router.

Also does your iPhone connect to any free hotspots? You don't say who you're with, but I'm sure they all have hotspots you can try. Will confirm phone is ok.

Linux_insidev2
3rd September 2008, 03:19 PM
It's one of two things

Your Wireless key has only Hexadecimal Characters in it, but is actually a passphrase so your phone is getting confused (i.e a key consisting of numbers and characters from A to F)

Or you've typed the key in wrong on the iPhone, I've found devices have connected to wireless networks using WEP before with the incorrect key and it connects but no data flows, WEP doesn't have a way of notifying you that the key was wrong

opilot87
3rd September 2008, 10:42 PM
I can connect laptops to the router, and even my iphone to it if I turn off encryption. I also use wireless at Curtin uni no problems which also has some form of encryption, I have forgotten which one now but it ends in a 2.

I am with Perth and am with Optus so I think we only have one or two wireless hotspots and have never used them...

Linux_insidev2, can you please explain your first paragraph again, I don't quite understand. I'm sure im not using a passphrase as that is blank but one of the 26 character keys if that helps.

Ollie

iguy83
7th September 2008, 09:53 AM
I dont know if this will work for you or not. But i was having the same issue with both my iphone and imac not connecting to my wireless network.. Solution... I Switched the Router Wireless channel to Channel 1.. and it worked..

Linux_insidev2
7th September 2008, 10:04 PM
I can connect laptops to the router, and even my iphone to it if I turn off encryption. I also use wireless at Curtin uni no problems which also has some form of encryption, I have forgotten which one now but it ends in a 2.

I am with Perth and am with Optus so I think we only have one or two wireless hotspots and have never used them...

Linux_insidev2, can you please explain your first paragraph again, I don't quite understand. I'm sure im not using a passphrase as that is blank but one of the 26 character keys if that helps.

Ollie

Are you only using characters from 0-9 A-F?

If you are, it can cause problems with WEP as some systems will interpret it as a passphrase and some will interpret it as a HEX key

set a passphrase that wouldn't be guessable using letters and numbers and try that.

opilot87
8th September 2008, 12:21 AM
OK, so im already using channel, and the 26 character 'key' only has numbers and letter from a-f. So are you saying that the iphone may be confusing this with a passphrase instead of a 26 character key, and that I should change the letter to have letters from f onwards???

I assume you mean I need to put a 26 character key in anyway, as I cant set a passphrase as somebody has already said not do do this??? Or should I try using a passphrase?