PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Silence Switch has Busted...

griffmiester
2nd September 2008, 05:31 PM
Well, the "Silence" switch on my iPhone has busted.
Silence Switch snapped off :/ on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/griffmiester/2820821688/in/set-72157603860486719/)

All I did was flick it the way I have since I got it, and it came off (and disappeared, I couldn't find it).
Called Optus, and they told me to go to the Optus World store where I got it, and return it through them...

Not looking forward to having to go back to using my N73 till it's repaired/replaced.

NathR32
2nd September 2008, 05:42 PM
Do you actually just flick it from normal to silent?
I am a bit more careful with mine, just sliding it slowly between the two.

griffmiester
2nd September 2008, 06:04 PM
Do you actually just flick it from normal to silent?
I am a bit more careful with mine, just sliding it slowly between the two.

I can't now... It's already broken.

I wasn't using more than a reasonable force to move it.
I should be a warranty repair.

NathR32
2nd September 2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah definatley warranty, sorry to hear.

Hopefully it isn't a painful process for you.

opilot87
3rd September 2008, 01:56 AM
I reckon the quality of those switches could be a little bit dodgy. I didnt really see that switch till the day after I got it, I thought it was a button and tried to push it, and pushed a bit harder and it didnt budge, then on closer inspection I realised it flicked over.

Im not sure if i bent it a bit or something, but its fairly firm, though I think its supposed to be like that, but the thing I notice is that it doesnt line up quite square with the cover when it is not on silent. Like one corner is touching the face up side of the car, the other corner is down a bit. Anyone elses like this?

Ollie

Spr0gs
3rd September 2008, 07:53 AM
exact same thing happend to me, just fell off.

still got the little switch tho, taking it back today.

Renoman
3rd September 2008, 08:12 AM
May your Boomerang (Optus' subcontracted fault assessment company) be more productive than mine. Be very glad if you get it back inside a month...

Greystorm
5th September 2008, 09:11 AM
Like one corner is touching the face up side of the car, the other corner is down a bit. Anyone elses like this?

Ollie

Yes, the side of the switch facing the top of the phone extends out more than the side facing the bottom. I think it's meant to be like that.

macaholic
5th September 2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, the side of the switch facing the top of the phone extends out more than the side facing the bottom. I think it's meant to be like that.

Nope. This (week old 16Gb black) is perfectly symmetrical. So yours could be on the way out.

griffmiester
17th September 2008, 03:08 PM
w00t!!!

well, it was eventually w00t...
Phoned Optus World store, and discovered that they'd sent away my iPhone, it came back yesterday, but nothing had been done with it, because the wrong paperwork had been sent with it. It hadn't been sent out again, so I went and picked it up.

Then I headed to Chadstone's Apple Store (after booking a Genius Bar Appointment). 15mins later, I was leaving the store with a brand spanking new replacement iPhone.

Loving the Genius Bar.

dolbinau
17th September 2008, 04:14 PM
Why will they replace your broken switch but not my hairline cracked screen?

Scubasnaps
13th October 2008, 09:28 PM
Happened to me too - chrome part of the switch just fell off in my hand. It's never been mistreated (have a hard case) but I do change it from vibrate to ring mode several times per day. Had the phone since launch day.
Off to Optus for a replacement tomorrow.

griffmiester
13th October 2008, 11:52 PM
Happened to me too - chrome part of the switch just fell off in my hand. It's never been mistreated (have a hard case) but I do change it from vibrate to ring mode several times per day. Had the phone since launch day.
Off to Optus for a replacement tomorrow.

Is there any way you can get to Sydney, and go to the Apple store? I would soooo recommend that, and going to the Genius Bar than going back to Optus.

If you do have to go to Optus, make sure that they have the right paperwork with it. They stuffed me round, and sent it back with the wrong paper work, and it was sent back to the store with nothing done, a week and a half later.
Make sure that they get a reference number from Apple to confirm that it is a warranty repair, otherwise it will get sent back also.

Like I said, the Genius Bar is really the best option.

Scubasnaps
15th October 2008, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately I can't get to Sydney so I had to put it in to Optus. They were very nice and gave me a bottom of the range Samsung flip phone as a "loaner". I suggested that if they were going to replace my white phone I'd be very happy with a black unit (originally wanted a black one but they ran out on launch day). Optus said the replacement should be available early next week.

Scubasnaps
23rd October 2008, 08:25 PM
Got it back today - new replacement unit (white). Took a week. Wish Apple would set up an Apple store in Brisbane.

linco888
5th November 2008, 07:59 PM
Hey, guys

just wondering how you guys went with optus?
I went in today cos my switch broke off, and they tried telling me that I would need to pay $50 to have it repaired even if it is under warranty, and that Im better off making an insurrance claim incase it isnt under warranty which would be $100 excess??

Im going to be in melbourne in Jan- should i just wait til then and go into the chadstone apple store?? Im not sure if i can wait til then....

Thanks for your help

Lincoln

griffmiester
5th November 2008, 11:19 PM
Hey, guys

just wondering how you guys went with optus?
I went in today cos my switch broke off, and they tried telling me that I would need to pay $50 to have it repaired even if it is under warranty, and that Im better off making an insurrance claim incase it isnt under warranty which would be $100 excess??

Im going to be in melbourne in Jan- should i just wait til then and go into the chadstone apple store?? Im not sure if i can wait til then....

Thanks for your help

Lincoln

Hey Lincoln,

I'd say, that's a load of Crap, bu I know when I tried getting mine fixed by Optus, that I had Insurance on my iPhone also... so it's possible that they waived that charge because of the insurance...

But I'm going to say it's crap anyway. It should be a warranty repair, and they should be passing it on to Apple.

I probably not recommend waiting until January, as they may query why you took so long...

Can you try a different Optus Store?

yinyang
6th November 2008, 12:15 AM
I probably not recommend waiting until January, as they may query why you took so long...

you can always ring Apple and log the fault with them and ask them to replace via mail-in - you send it to Apple and then they send you a replacement back. Or if you decide to wait until Jan then at least you have a reference number to quote them.

woofy
6th November 2008, 08:52 AM
Those switches are breaking on everyones iphone I know...luckily for them they just took it to the chaddy store to swap over. But they will break again.....

linco888
7th November 2008, 01:26 AM
Hey thanks for the help guys,

Yinyang- do you know what number to ring. Do i try the one that youre only supposed to get support for 90 days? cos if so im outside that period. I tried the online service thing and there wasnt an option at the end of the process for the iphone- just all of its accessories and crap.

Hope you can help.

Linco

yinyang
7th November 2008, 01:51 AM
Apple Support -1300 321456. I think it's option 2 for iPod & iPhone.

If you're outside the 90 day free support then they'll tell you how much it'll cost, but I'm not sure if it's applicable to you since the switch is broken and you're not asking for support - you just want to log the issue and get a call number so that when you take it to the Apple Store it's already on their system (for when they ask you why hadn't you brought it in earlier etc!)