PDA

View Full Version : Optus Price Hike

svale
2nd September 2008, 05:03 PM
Looks like Optus has increased the monthly handset repayments on their plans: 'yes' iPhone Plans (http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_wRHS&FP=/personal/mobile/iphone3G/yesiphoneplans&site=personal), 'yes' iPhone Cap Plans (http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_wRHS&FP=/personal/mobile/iphone3G/yesiphonecapplans&site=personal)

Compare it with the prices announced back in July: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/52261-official-optus-pricing-information.html

Update: Added old and new figures. Hopefully, there aren't any typos. ;)

'yes' iPhone Cap Plans - 12-month contract
$19 (8GB): $51 to $54
$19 (16GB): $61 to $65
$49 (8GB): $37 to $40
$49 (16GB): $47 to $50
$59 (8GB): $32 to $35
$59 (16GB): $42 to $46
$79 (8GB): $27 to $30
$79 (16GB): $37 to $41

'yes' iPhone Cap Plans - 24-month contract
$19 (8GB): $21 to $23
$19 (16GB): $26 to $28
$49 (8GB): $7 (unchanged)
$49 (16GB): $12 to $13
$59 (8GB): $2 to $3
$59 (16GB): $7 to $9
$79 (8GB): $0 (unchanged)
$79 (16GB): $2 to $4

'yes' iPhone Plans - 12-month contract
$19 (8GB): $49 to $52
$19 (16GB): $59 to $62
$29 (8GB): $42 to $45
$29 (16GB): $52 to $55
$39 (8GB): $37 to $40
$39 (16GB): $47 to $50
$49 (8GB): $37 to $40
$49 (16GB): $47 to $50
$59 (8GB): $32 to $35
$59 (16GB): $42 to $46
$79 (8GB): $27 to $30
$79 (16GB): $37 to $41
$99 (8GB): $23 to $25
$99 (16GB): $33 to $36
$149 (8GB): $23 to $25
$149 (16GB): $33 to $36

'yes' iPhone Plans - 24-month contract
$19 (8GB): $19 to $20
$19 (16GB): $24 to $25
$29 (8GB): $12 to $13
$29 (16GB): $17 to $18
$39 (8GB): $7 to $8
$39 (16GB): $12 to $13
$49 (8GB): $7 to $8
$49 (16GB): $12 to $13
$59 (8GB): $2 to $3
$59 (16GB): $7 to $9
$79 (8GB): $0 (unchanged)
$79 (16GB): $2 to $4
$99 (8GB): $0 (unchanged)
$99 (16GB): $0 (unchanged)
$149 (8GB): $0 (unchanged)
$149 (16GB): $0 (unchanged)

inrainbows
2nd September 2008, 05:05 PM
supply and demand

SRG
2nd September 2008, 05:07 PM
yep you can't keep a waiting list for ever. They clearly can move all their stock so can't say I blame them.

Still surprised Vodafone hasn't done anything on data yet I have to say, though I get no where near my 250mb anyway.

mitty
2nd September 2008, 05:10 PM
That's slightly succulent. Pity the poor people who want to go on contract now, particularly when Optus don't appear to be doing anything about the crap 3g reception.

MacRobbo
2nd September 2008, 06:01 PM
f**k Optus they are the worst telco IMO, even though my iPhone is with them. (rest of families phones are so I am to)

Sorry had to let that out. Now wheres that let it all out thread? :)

ojk007
2nd September 2008, 06:03 PM
this only applies to new customers yeah?

[schmick]
2nd September 2008, 06:04 PM
That's pretty sneaky of them! Having not purchased an iPhone yet as I'm waiting for the 3G reception issues to be resoloved, it's very disappointing! GRR...

Reubania
2nd September 2008, 06:13 PM
Wonder if that will increase the difference with existing customers....sneaky...

chrsha01
2nd September 2008, 06:18 PM

That's a question I would like answered too.

WhiteiPhone
2nd September 2008, 06:28 PM

yes it only should as you signed a contract to pay X amount of dollars for the handset repayments, not more.
i reckon if they do call them and if nothing happens contact the TIO

tazgtz
2nd September 2008, 06:48 PM
Better not, existing clients have signed a contract at a certain price...

bennyling
2nd September 2008, 07:11 PM
;625228']That's pretty sneaky of them! Having not purchased an iPhone yet as I'm waiting for the 3G reception issues to be resoloved, it's very disappointing! GRR...

+1.

Where's NeoRicen when you need him - those TCO's need to be worked out :p

matthew858
2nd September 2008, 07:22 PM
*looks around for NeoRicen*

That better be for new customers only, or I am quitting my contract. I can because they were not the service terms I agreed to when I signed the contract on iPhone-day.

Optus also speaks good english very:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3890/picture1mi4.png

TheWatchman
2nd September 2008, 07:39 PM
if they try to change it on me I think I would be able to twrminate my contract if I so please, oh and I wouldn't be giving the phone back. Nab I'd still stay, $48 extra is not much over 2 years.

bennettnz
2nd September 2008, 08:23 PM
Optus is the new Telstra... so Telstra is the new what... Optus?

jrad
2nd September 2008, 08:26 PM
Hang on, this doesn't go up for existing users no? It couldn't be...

Comet
2nd September 2008, 08:28 PM
Hang on, this doesn't go up for existing users no? It couldn't be...

Nah, it won't go up, or else people would be breaking their contracts every day. Phone repayment amounts change, normally goes lower, but the new prices only apply for new contracts.

simonm
2nd September 2008, 09:39 PM
I am very disappointed with the transparency of Optus regarding data and phone usage. I am still not aware of a way you can view your current talk and data usage. Yes, the iPhone keeps a record of data usage and I haven't gone anywhere near my 250 Mb monthly allowance, but for some reason I've gone $50 over and it's not explained anywhere. Nor does their online account management let you view current usage.

I'm just glad I got a 12 month contract so I can ditch Optus in 11 months time and go elsewhere. It's exactly the reason I opted for the shortest contract length that any of the networks provided save buying it outright. I logged a request for Optus to call me regarding this but guess what their turnaround time is.... 5 days!!!

jrad
2nd September 2008, 10:28 PM
I too am having difficulty seeing data usage, but I'm getting there... finally got an account setup (can't do it via Safari or Firefox...) and when I find a way will post a solution. It currently tells me that the data isn't yet available.

mytzlplik
2nd September 2008, 11:11 PM
Nor does their online account management let you view current usage.

Current usage works for me without problems..
By clicking on the "My Usage" button on the left navigation menu after logging in I am able to view current handset charges for the month and also seems to detail data usage. You can sort the data by clicking on the column headings (i.e. sort by 'description' to find the Internet ones easier)..

Not sure why some of my Internet ones have some charges against them though.. Like $0.03 and other small amounts, given that I'm way under my data cap and also in my first month unlimited data... but anyway.

I do realise though that the button near the bottom that says, "Check your internet usage" does not work.. but doing it the above way seems to provide all the required info?

Or am I missing something here? :confused:

VALANDI
2nd September 2008, 11:15 PM
bloody telcos, what a load of crap

decryption
3rd September 2008, 09:08 AM
I don't know how else to say it: Optus are filthy dogs.

They have every right to increase the price, but for christs-sake, they've had enough fuck ups and mistakes that we already hate them. Waving their dick around and increasing the price just shows how little Optus give a damn beyond the bottom line.

Disgusting Optus, disgusting.

Huy
3rd September 2008, 09:20 AM
Semi-related, but Telstra did a scumbag move too when iPhones were in low supply (i.e. at launch).

$150 unlocking fee? Come on.

Vodafone were also a bit dodgy by selling 8GB outright for $785, locked. Instead of $729 e.g. Optus/Telstra prices for prepaid.

I had to buy Vodafone since I'm with them anyway for my carrier.

SilverJ
3rd September 2008, 09:21 AM
Optus have some serious ground to make up on with their existing customers before they should be even thinking about reviewing their pricing. This is coming from a Telco that has poor 3G coverage/slowest speeds in the world and STILL cannot show my usage online after plenty of calls.

"Account setup is in progress resulting in this service being temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Oh sorry Optus, didn't realise your attention was directed towards reaming new customers instead of paying attention to your existing locked in contract customers.. Sarcasm.

"Hello Optus? Fuck you, Goodbye."

decryption
3rd September 2008, 09:23 AM
Semi-related, but Telstra did a scumbag move too when iPhones were in low supply (i.e. at launch).

$150 unlocking fee? Come on.

Vodafone were also a bit dodgy by selling 8GB outright for $785, locked. Instead of $729 e.g. Optus/Telstra prices for prepaid.

I had to buy Vodafone since I'm with them anyway for my carrier.

Yeah, but they decided that up-front. Unlike Optus who started charging one thing, then increased the price for no goddamn reason or external factors. Did Apple increase the price of the iPhone? No. Then why the increase Optus?

mechcon
3rd September 2008, 09:28 AM
That's pretty bad.. Oh well if it doesn't affect people on contracts, then it's all good for us.. bad for people who want to go on a contract :\

Maybe they'll use that money to improve the coverage in metropolitan areas.. oh yes, I'm still pissed off with patches around the house.. Can't wait for the i-Tena people to make the 3G version.. which should be soon!

Comet
3rd September 2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, but they decided that up-front. Unlike Optus who started charging one thing, then increased the price for no goddamn reason or external factors. Did Apple increase the price of the iPhone? No. Then why the increase Optus?

If Apple is charging in US dollars, it sorta does explain the increase with weaker dollar...

Hamsmyth
3rd September 2008, 09:46 AM
Now that the smoke has cleared from the iPhone launch...it seems as though Optus is not the golden child everyone has proclaimed them to be. I'm Glad I won't be dealing with them myself.

Alucard
3rd September 2008, 09:46 AM
I can see where they're (optus) coming from. I guess they're not really deceiving any new customers as they do give them the prices and they do know how much they will be paying.

Ecto1
3rd September 2008, 09:57 AM
I would not be surprised if this increase is a way to make up ground with all those raincheck orders they lost, due to waiting times. Can you believe the telechice i got my iphone from is still only taking RCO.

jusrus
3rd September 2008, 10:07 AM
If Apple is charging in US dollars, it sorta does explain the increase with weaker dollar...

+1. Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Not that I'm a fan of Optus business pricing....

jusrus
3rd September 2008, 10:20 AM
'yes' iPhone Cap Plans (http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_wRHS&FP=/personal/mobile/iphone3G/yesiphonecapplans&site=personal)

I don't remember the $79 cap having unlimited SMSs?

Can't see any other changes to the plans tho....

halledise
3rd September 2008, 10:20 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Optus suck

how much more proof of that does one need . . . :rolleyes:

Ecto1
3rd September 2008, 10:23 AM
Since when did the cap plans allow us to use optus wifi hotspots.

scritch
3rd September 2008, 10:37 AM
Now that Virgin have released their non-contract iPhone plans with more calls and more data, the $70 plan (plus $4 for the phone) from Virgin is a much better deal.

Even the $19 per month plan from Optus, when you throw the cost of the handset on top you are looking at $84 per month. The Virgin plan is $74 per month including the 16Gb iPhone, and after 6 months you can get out with no penalty except for paying off the remaining handset cost.

Why anyone would go on Optus now with these price increases is beyond my understanding.

Regards,
Shane.

thomas
3rd September 2008, 10:39 AM
Anyone using optus in regional areas (outside the capital cities)?

I'm in Central Queensland and Telstra is the king of coverage here for 3G, but their iPhone plans are plain stupid.

dathnoth
3rd September 2008, 10:40 AM
$2 more (on my cap) isn't going to be a deal breaking IMOH. But I don't see it as a nessicary from Optus to do this

digoxin
3rd September 2008, 10:46 AM
Optus is still the best value for the low volume call/data user. With the 5 minute free calls within the same account and 5 for for 5 (5 minutes free to 5 different optus numbers) this suits me. I mainly have a phone to be contactable and make many short calls to family(all who are Optus) so the 19 or 29 plan is good value. I haven't checked recently but telstra or vodafone's offering was still more expensive. The billing system sucks and service is generally poor but that seems to be the norm with all telco's.

Comet
3rd September 2008, 10:56 AM
Optus is still the best value for the low volume call/data user. With the 5 minute free calls within the same account and 5 for for 5 (5 minutes free to 5 different optus numbers) this suits me. I mainly have a phone to be contactable and make many short calls to family(all who are Optus) so the 19 or 29 plan is good value. I haven't checked recently but telstra or vodafone's offering was still more expensive. The billing system sucks and service is generally poor but that seems to be the norm with all telco's.

It's true if you have general coverage at your home and at work. I can't use my iPhone at work since I keep getting the SMS saying the person called but didn't leave a voicemail. I now turn call forwarding on at work to my desk which doesn't work well for me when I'm wondering around. I receive a lot more calls then I receive so it's annoying for many people. Anyways, I'm moving away from Optus to Telstra. Won't make that many calls, and $10 for 150mb x 2 is good enough for me.

scritch
3rd September 2008, 11:02 AM

Just a question though - do you own your iPhone outright or are you paying for it as part of the contract? If you're paying for it on contract are you doing it over 12 months or 24 months?

On Virgin for a 16Gb iPhone the cost breakdown is this:

$36 per month handset cost
(over 24 months - exit any time and pay out remainder of $864 handset cost). $80 network unlock fee in first 12 months.

$38 per month call/data plan
$520 worth of calls, SMS. Free Virgin to Virgin calls & 1Gb of data allowance. Month to month, no fee to quit after 6 months.

Vs. the 5 minute free calls on same account - Virgin to Virgin is free no limit to time.
Vs. the 5 for 5, again Virgin is free (so get your friends on Virgin), or due to the fact you have $520 worth of calls (vs $50 or $300 depending if you are on $19 or $29 Optus cap) you can call anyone and it won't cost you any more.

Sorry I didn't set out to direct this at you, just more to use you as an example for everyone to be aware their are more options when buying their iPhone.

Regards,
Shane.

drewbles
3rd September 2008, 11:11 AM
f**k Optus they are the worst telco IMO, even though my iPhone is with them. (rest of families phones are so I am to)

Sorry had to let that out. Now wheres that let it all out thread? :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Optus suck

how much more proof of that does one need . . . :rolleyes:

You've obviously never been with vodafone or telstra or Three. Optus are the best out of a bad bunch IMHO. I've been with all the carriers, and Optus gives me the least grief of the four.

drewbles
3rd September 2008, 11:14 AM

Don't forget, the US Dollar has fallen by over 15 cents in the past few months. This could simply be an adjustment from what Apple are charging them. I don't see a problem in adjustment.

Bottom of the line, don't like it, don't get it. Simple really. Companies are in business to make money. I know, it's a shock.

digoxin
3rd September 2008, 11:50 AM
Just a question though - do you own your iPhone outright or are you paying for it as part of the contract? If you're paying for it on contract are you doing it over 12 months or 24 months?

On Virgin for a 16Gb iPhone the cost breakdown is this:

$36 per month handset cost
(over 24 months - exit any time and pay out remainder of $864 handset cost). $80 network unlock fee in first 12 months.

$38 per month call/data plan
$520 worth of calls, SMS. Free Virgin to Virgin calls & 1Gb of data allowance. Month to month, no fee to quit after 6 months.

Vs. the 5 minute free calls on same account - Virgin to Virgin is free no limit to time.
Vs. the 5 for 5, again Virgin is free (so get your friends on Virgin), or due to the fact you have $520 worth of calls (vs $50 or $300 depending if you are on $19 or $29 Optus cap) you can call anyone and it won't cost you any more.

Sorry I didn't set out to direct this at you, just more to use you as an example for everyone to be aware their are more options when buying their iPhone.

Regards,
Shane.
Hi Shane,

I am on the $29 iphone plan for 24 months which has monthly handset repayment of $12 which makes it a minumum commitment with optus of $984 for 2 years. I understand there is no unlock fee after 3 months. $984 is the buyout figure(ie if I want to own it outright at any stage)
For this I get $24 / month of standard calls. With the free 5 minute to my wife(who has the same iphone under my account) and 5 minute free to 5 other optus mobiles(family) I hardly make other calls. I spent $8 on other calls and SMSs for the first month. I use the data side to push 4 different email accounts about 1-2 / day. (Free wifi at work/home). I used about 50mb for the first month.
The virgin seems good for the medium user and offers a better degree of flexibility but with a likely final cost of $984 over 2 years Optus is still the cheapest. I am happy to sacrifice the inflexibilty of not being able to leave earlier and being careful with my calls. Before picking the iphone I did not have a mobile for 2 years(just used my wife's mobile or public phone). If I want to be contactable I am at home or work otherwise it is mobile free time. SO I guess I probably don't need a mobile but with a new baby it is nice to more contactable and not having to look out for a public phone when I am out and about.

Peter

azajohns
3rd September 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm kind of happy about this. Finally, being an early adopter has payed off. Imagine the uproar if the price had gone down!!!

TheKeddi
3rd September 2008, 03:41 PM
I live in the country, don't get 3g with Optus out here, if I need to check emails then the edge network works good enough for me.

Telstra do have the next g coverage here but I wouldn't even think of going with those blood suckers!

But Optus normal coverage out here drives me mad, in one part of the house I can have coverage and then nothing! in the same spot it can change heaps of times!

Comet
3rd September 2008, 03:49 PM
I live in the country, don't get 3g with Optus out here, if I need to check emails then the edge network works good enough for me.

Telstra do have the next g coverage here but I wouldn't even think of going with those blood suckers!

But Optus normal coverage out here drives me mad, in one part of the house I can have coverage and then nothing! in the same spot it can change heaps of times!

Go with Telstra. You feel like you might be saving money by going with Optus, but at the end of the day, you need a phone that can receive and make calls. The stress of having to call back all these people due to some reception issue is not worth it. Once Optus unlocks my iPhone I'm off to Telstra.

Galumay
3rd September 2008, 04:08 PM

ummm...i am pretty sure optus dont have an EDGE network, they only run GSM or 3G, tel$tra are the only network in australia to run an EDGE network AFAIK.

Reubania
3rd September 2008, 05:33 PM
You're correct. Outside of 3G, it reverts back to GPRS...and your Facebooking grinds to a very slow crawl...

You can check, next time look at the reception bars. If it's 3G, then it's 3G. If it's a black dot in a box, that's GPRS. If it has an E, THEN it's on Edge.

bacco007
3rd September 2008, 06:12 PM
Has anybody confirmed with optus that the prices aren't changing for existing customers? I'm looking for any wiggle room to tell them to get knotted at the moment.

aswitcher
3rd September 2008, 06:48 PM
price rise. Probably due exchange rate with USA

ialienam
3rd September 2008, 07:02 PM
i just look up the website...the plan i am interested remains unchanged...$49 cap + $7 over 24 months.

just want to ask a couple of things before I put down my depostit

1. If in the future, will voice Turn-by-turn gps be available? possible to install in this generation?

2. If with Optus, can I upgrade my phone within 24 months?

3. Stock available in Sydney?

Reubania
3rd September 2008, 08:02 PM
i just look up the website...the plan i am interested remains unchanged...$49 cap + $7 over 24 months.

just want to ask a couple of things before I put down my depostit

1. If in the future, will voice Turn-by-turn gps be available? possible to install in this generation?

2. If with Optus, can I upgrade my phone within 24 months?

3. Stock available in Sydney?

1. Yes. But I think it will be through the Apps store - like from TomTom etc. But not directly from Apple.

2. I assume so. A lot of my work colleagues have upgraded their OPTUS plans from their old phones to the iPhone. So when Apple brings out the next generation, I bet upgrading to it will be given to iPhone customers as a first preference/choice/priority.

3. I guess so! You have the Apple Store, so go in and enquire!

iDaife
4th September 2008, 12:20 PM
i assume the most common pick is the 8GB iPhone on the $49 cap... at least this hasn't changed.

Reubania
4th September 2008, 02:45 PM
My mate at OPTUS didn't know about the price increase, so I'm guessing it hasn't filtered down all the channels officially. Sneaky though. Most likely to be applied to new customers. The bloody telcos are draining us dry with this new JesusPhone

rickyd
5th September 2008, 06:41 PM
Pardon my ignorance here...what is all the fuss over a couple of dollars about?

Ricky.

chrsha01
5th September 2008, 08:00 PM
Pardon my ignorance here...what is all the fuss over a couple of dollars about?

Ricky.

Why would you want to pay those extra "couple of dollars" for rickyd?

asd01_1
6th September 2008, 12:31 AM
Optus is just crap.... They have terrible support, terrible reception, terrible speeds. And this is not only iPhone users. I have not gone to the iPhone as yet as i am still on contract with optus. When the contract it is up i will move to Vodafone and get the iPhone. They offer the middle of the road deals. Good reception, costs are close to being reasonable.

Thats just my thoughts

Cheers

LithgowLights
6th September 2008, 10:44 AM
Optus is just crap.... They have terrible support, terrible reception, terrible speeds. And this is not only iPhone users. I have not gone to the iPhone as yet as i am still on contract with optus. When the contract it is up i will move to Vodafone and get the iPhone. They offer the middle of the road deals. Good reception, costs are close to being reasonable.

Thats just my thoughts

Cheers

I found the opposite. Optus's data network has crashed a few times lately and caused some headaches, but overall I am pretty happy (But I'm not on 3G here)

Vodaphone has crap reception here, so in my case it's Telstra as best (but would leave a bad taste in my mouth paying them anything lol), or Optus (Much better value for $ for my use)

Jordaaan
6th September 2008, 05:39 PM
On the topic of iPhones being raised to ridiculous pricing, here's my story:

I live in a regional area of South Australia, and as such, Telstra is my only option for the iPhone 3G. The only shop that sells them here belongs to Leading Edge Telecoms, where, a few weeks ago, I was quoted $726 for the iPhone 3G 8GB outright. I noted that this was comparable to what Optus had initially stated, so started saving.

Just last week, I walked back into that store with $800 that I have been saving, in order to purchase the iPhone that I have been savouring. To my utter disgust, I was told that the $726 was only a promotional price, and the 8GB is now $999.

Furious, I contacted the main Sydney Leading Edge shop who claimed the lowest they could go was $879 for the 8GB.

I thought to myself, this is outrageous, why raise the price by so much in just a matter of weeks? So I took the liberty of ringing Telstra, who claimed that they provide them for $726.

I spent the rest of the day ringing different Apple resellers such as NextByte, and other Telstra stores in Adelaide.

NextByte sell the 8GB for $1099 (wtf?), and the majority of Telstra shops don't even sell them outright, due to them being in such high demand.

I am as such crushed, as I have no way of purchasing an iPhone for the initially quoted price of $726.

Complete and utter rubbish!

nola
7th September 2008, 09:13 AM
The OPTUS store at bondi junction was selling the prepaid 16GBs for $849 a week ago. Very strange as this was after OPTUS removed the "prepaid" option from the website. Not sure if they have any left -- or are still promoting the prepaid offer.

rickyd
7th September 2008, 09:56 AM
Why would you want to pay those extra "couple of dollars" for rickyd?

Everything else in life goes up in price as well. Bread, milk, eggs - and I guess mobile phones as well. I'm sure this has happened many of times to other phones, and I don't see anyone bitching then...

Would it make you happier if I paid the $2 a month for you?

entropy
7th September 2008, 10:35 AM
Everything else in life goes up in price as well. Bread, milk, eggs - and I guess mobile phones as well. I'm sure this has happened many of times to other phones, and I don't see anyone bitching then...

Would it make you happier if I paid the $2 a month for you?

Until now I was under the delusion that mobile phone prices declined over time......Look at the deals you can get for an N95 compared with when they first came out.

Comet
7th September 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure about prices of mobile phones going up? Usually how they do it is release a product, have it in the market for a month charging a premium, then lower the price whilst releasing a new model which is essentially the same phone with a slightly different cosmetic change and a slight software change. I don't think I've come across this situation where prices are raised for a product that's only been out in the market for nearly 2 months. Like others have mentioned, they shouldn't recover whatever costs that they need to recover through raising the price of the handset.

decryption
7th September 2008, 11:02 AM
On the topic of iPhones being raised to ridiculous pricing, here's my story:

I live in a regional area of South Australia, and as such, Telstra is my only option for the iPhone 3G. The only shop that sells them here belongs to Leading Edge Telecoms, where, a few weeks ago, I was quoted $726 for the iPhone 3G 8GB outright. I noted that this was comparable to what Optus had initially stated, so started saving.

Just last week, I walked back into that store with $800 that I have been saving, in order to purchase the iPhone that I have been savouring. To my utter disgust, I was told that the $726 was only a promotional price, and the 8GB is now $999.

Furious, I contacted the main Sydney Leading Edge shop who claimed the lowest they could go was $879 for the 8GB.

I thought to myself, this is outrageous, why raise the price by so much in just a matter of weeks? So I took the liberty of ringing Telstra, who claimed that they provide them for $726.

I spent the rest of the day ringing different Apple resellers such as NextByte, and other Telstra stores in Adelaide.

NextByte sell the 8GB for $1099 (wtf?), and the majority of Telstra shops don't even sell them outright, due to them being in such high demand.

I am as such crushed, as I have no way of purchasing an iPhone for the initially quoted price of $726.

Complete and utter rubbish!

Argh, what a mess!

This is why Apple should sell them on their website.
$799 for 8GB - $899 for 16GB
Buy it just like an iPod or any other accessory off the online store. No SIM card, no locks, just the iPhone ready to use like any other phone you'd buy outright. It's crazy they don't do this - Apple doesn't even get a cut of the revenue per month anymore, so it's beyond me as to why it isn't on the Apple online store.