PDA

View Full Version : Telstra no longer selling outright 16gb

fickwalker
2nd September 2008, 10:37 AM
So I spoke to a guy from T-Life at George Street in Sydney this morning (trying to source a 16gb for a friend) and he told me that Apple has changed the policy and now, as of September 1st (yesterday), Telstra is no longer allowed to sell the 16gb outright - Only onto a contract. The 8gb is still available for outright purchase but the 16gb is not.

It's also probable that the cost of the outright 8gb is going up as well. I don't have any confirmation on what price they will now be, but previously they were being sold for $749.

MissionMan
2nd September 2008, 11:35 AM
Sounds like bull to me, but if thats the case, i'll be pissed off with Apple.

mitty
2nd September 2008, 11:39 AM
I think if T is selling the iphone outright depends on what store you go to and stock levels and which person you happen to talk to when you walk in. Also remember that Nextbyte and JB Hifi are both selling it outright (albeit unlocked) as well, and I doubt they'd have any hesitation in taking your money.

gikku
2nd September 2008, 11:53 AM
I think if T is selling the iphone outright depends on what store you go to and stock levels and which person you happen to talk to when you walk in. Also remember that Nextbyte and JB Hifi are both selling it outright (albeit unlocked) as well, and I doubt they'd have any hesitation in taking your money.

NextByte quoted me $1100 for 8GB and $1200 for 16GB, +$150 to unlock from telstra.
so I went the Optus plan free unlocking path.

fickwalker
2nd September 2008, 11:55 AM
Just reporting what the gentleman from T-Life Sydney said. My friend went in last night to buy one and was turned away (she's an existing Telstra customer).

So it may, quite likely, be bull that Apple has 'changed policy', but the fact remains that Telstra is no longer selling 16gb's outright. I've called a bunch of Telstra stores this morning and they've all told me the same thing.

iTy
2nd September 2008, 12:09 PM
So I spoke to a guy from T-Life at George Street in Sydney this morning (trying to source a 16gb for a friend) and he told me that Apple has changed the policy and now, as of September 1st (yesterday), Telstra is no longer allowed to sell the 16gb outright - Only onto a contract. The 8gb is still available for outright purchase but the 16gb is not.

It's also probable that the cost of the outright 8gb is going up as well. I don't have any confirmation on what price they will now be, but previously they were being sold for $749.

Sounds like BS.

I've been to that store and found that there are only a few of the staff members there worth dealing with.

As an example, I was there last week to try and sort out an issue I had that I could not resolve from the phone reps. My regular guy was busy so I talked to another rep. The new rep gave me nothing but a whole bunch of "no" answers and redirected me back to the phone reps. This was crazy as he was supposed to be a customer solutions person.

Managed to see the regular rep and he not only told me that what I wanted could be done, he got it fixed within 10mins.

To sum up, you need to see other staff members there if you are not happy with the info one staffer gives. If I was the manager, I'd be annoyed at the misinformation some staff are giving.

It makes no sense why Telstra would sell the 8Gb outright, but not the 16Gb.

fickwalker
2nd September 2008, 12:20 PM
It's *not* BS. I've asked three different people over the last two days and they have all said the same thing. I agree, the bit about Apple being the one to change policy is probably bullshit, but the fact that Telstra are no longer selling 16gb iPhones outright is for real.

Someone else call them and ask.

David Turnedge
2nd September 2008, 12:20 PM
I tried to buy an 8GB outright many weeks ago in Chatswood and was told flatly that there were no iPhones available pre-pay at all. I left my beloved Vodafone for that. I think that's pretty unfair. Just as soon as I unlock my iPhone and get through the first 12 months of contract I'm off back to Vodafone. No questions asked. Better call rates. Better service. Better data plan. Telstra!@#$%@$$ I should have listened to my head and not my heart that week of the iPhone release.

iTy
2nd September 2008, 12:27 PM
It's *not* BS. I've asked three different people over the last two days and they have all said the same thing. I agree, the bit about Apple being the one to change policy is probably bullshit, but the fact that Telstra are no longer selling 16gb iPhones outright is for real.

Someone else call them and ask.

I'll head off soon to Apple Store so I'll drop by across the road and check.

Will update once I get back.

fickwalker
2nd September 2008, 12:33 PM
I'll head off soon to Apple Store so I'll drop by across the road and check.

Will update once I get back.

Thanks iTy. Much appreciated.

I'm just really peeved for my friend. She's a Telstra customer, she just wanted to buy a 16gb so she could use it on their network. And still they said no.. What's more is that they're blaming Apple for it - As usual!

iTy
2nd September 2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks iTy. Much appreciated.

I'm just really peeved for my friend. She's a Telstra customer, she just wanted to buy a 16gb so she could use it on their network. And still they said no.. What's more is that they're blaming Apple for it - As usual!

ok back....sort of (not at desk)

Just went to Telstra and sure enough they were willing to sell me an iphone outright.

Just go upstairs. I'm not confident that the staff downstairs can put deals together.

bitingmammal
2nd September 2008, 02:35 PM
It's true that Telstra aren't selling the 16 gb outright any more.

MissionMan
2nd September 2008, 02:44 PM
It's true that Telstra aren't selling the 16 gb outright any more.

Conflicts the statement directly above from a guy who walked into a Telstra store.

fickwalker
2nd September 2008, 02:51 PM
ok back....sort of (not at desk)

Just went to Telstra and sure enough they were willing to sell me an iphone outright.

Just go upstairs. I'm not confident that the staff downstairs can put deals together.

For real? Dude that's messed up! I'm calling my friend now to tell her.

EDIT: Which one were they willing to sell you? 8gb or 16gb?

iTy
2nd September 2008, 02:55 PM
Conflicts the statement directly above from a guy who walked into a Telstra store.

If its anything like my experience with Telstra for the last month or so, Telstra don't really care about consumers but it seems to be a completely different stoy if you have n ABN.

However, this is ultimately dependent on the quality of the staff. Like all big orgs., some are good and some are bad (i.e. not wanting to be there, which is a tragey [Telstra] if they are in a client facing role).

Anyway, what I was told was that they are willing to sell 16Gb outright, pending stock availability.

Galumay
2nd September 2008, 03:15 PM
as i understand it, there is some confusion around the term outright, what Apple have tried to stop tel$tra and others doing is selling unlocked iPhones with no form of phone service at all - "outright".

my understanding is that if you get a tel$tra prepaid USIM and buy that with the iPhone it satisfies Apple's requirement.

the secondary is that tel$tra staff are so poorly trained that the guidelines are being applied differently between staff even within the same store so its very hit and miss.

fickwalker
2nd September 2008, 03:37 PM
Righto. So if I send my friend in to T-Life this afternoon and she buys a 16gb iPhone and a pre-paid USIM, she'll be able to walk out of the store, iPhone in hand?

How much do Telstra USIM's go for?

EDIT: Just spoke to T-Life again, asked about buying the iPhone and a USIM - No go. Dude on the phone told me that they're happy to sell me the 8gb but absolutely no chance of getting the 16gb, even with a prepaid USIM, without a contract.

iTy
2nd September 2008, 03:53 PM
PM sent

EDIT: I hope that they are not selectively screening iPhone customers for the rich. If so, they have made a BIG mistake with me as I am not rich nor powerful...quite the opposite :p

Righto. So if I send my friend in to T-Life this afternoon and she buys a 16gb iPhone and a pre-paid USIM, she'll be able to walk out of the store, iPhone in hand?

How much do Telstra USIM's go for?

EDIT: Just spoke to T-Life again, asked about buying the iPhone and a USIM - No go. Dude on the phone told me that they're happy to sell me the 8gb but absolutely no chance of getting the 16gb, even with a prepaid USIM, without a contract.

fickwalker
2nd September 2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks dude. Will give it a bash. Fingers crossed!

tonyberinson
3rd September 2008, 07:11 AM
Guys

I was also told by my telstra dealer friend - that they are about to stop selling them outright.

I have a feeling - that is places that arent Tlife stores... similar how to the original release the Tlife Stores had the phones and the dealers didnt..

But he has definately told me that Telstra WILL not be selling Outright Phones- in fact I got one of his last ones.

Regards

tony

Aladdin
3rd September 2008, 09:00 AM
Hypothetical -

Telstra have realised they are running out of the 16GB models, and have noticed a significant proportion of these are 'outright' purchases. Perhaps Apple insist (a la coloured iPod nanos) that they must order the same number of each model.

Thus they have a huge oversupply of 8GB models. What will they do???

They announce that only 8GB models can be purchased outright. So people who still want an outright iPhone will be forced to buy a 8GB model. Added bonus - Telstra do not have to announce that they have 'run out' of 16GB models sometime soon.

Problem with discrepancy in stock levels solved!!

End hypothetical.

Totti
3rd September 2008, 12:17 PM
I said that this was going to happen last week in one of my threads lol! Anyway,i didn't end up buying. You think this isn't going to change eventually (Ie sooner rather than later)? They are just trying to lock in as many people as possible.

Just wait it out, worse case scenario comes Xmas time or thereabouts and they announce a 32gb model and then you can go on a contract :)

fickwalker
3rd September 2008, 12:22 PM
Totti, the whole point is that my friend doesn't want or need a contract, she's an existing Telstra customer and just wants to buy a 16gb iPhone to pop her existing SIM into.

I just think it's rude that she was in the T-Life store on Friday of last week enquiring about it and nobody bothered to let her know about the impending change in policy. So now? My friend is iPhone-less and seriously contemplating not bothering to get one at all. Bah. :(

mitty
3rd September 2008, 12:37 PM
I just think it's rude that she was in the T-Life store on Friday of last week enquiring about it and nobody bothered to let her know about the impending change in policy. So now? My friend is iPhone-less and seriously contemplating not bothering to get one at all. Bah. :(

To be fair, I virtually guarantee that the staff would not have known until the day this decision was made. Not their fault... that's just Telstra.

macaholic
3rd September 2008, 12:40 PM
Last Thursday, I went to Telstra shop paid $997 ($847 plus $150) and walked out with an unlocked 16Gb iPhone. No Plans, No SIM, Just an iPhone. While in store they unbricked and that is all. No 'BigPong' stuff. Also while I was there, the manager called the unlocking number and they processed it immediately. Less than 24 hours later, I restored, inserted my Three SIM and bingo. Then setup voicemail etc.

EDIT: I'm very happy with it all, but am thinking about trying to get a refund on the $150 since the news of people getting their money back.

fickwalker
3rd September 2008, 01:22 PM
macaholic, you're definitely one of the lucky ones! :)

mitty, I agree, the poor store people probably didn't know until Monday morning. I'm just whining on my friends behalf. ;)

Totti
3rd September 2008, 02:59 PM
To be fair, I virtually guarantee that the staff would not have known until the day this decision was made. Not their fault... that's just Telstra.

Not true. I rang 2 different T-Life stores and they all knew about Sep 1.

mitty
3rd September 2008, 03:04 PM

When did you ring?

fickwalker
3rd September 2008, 03:07 PM

Um. Okay. When did you call them? As I said, a friend was in a T-Life store on friday of last week and no mention was made of the impending policy change.

iTy
3rd September 2008, 03:10 PM
Totti, the whole point is that my friend doesn't want or need a contract, she's an existing Telstra customer and just wants to buy a 16gb iPhone to pop her existing SIM into.

I feel for your friend.

Is she on a consumer contract or business contract?

fickwalker
3rd September 2008, 03:15 PM
I feel for your friend.

Is she on a consumer contract or business contract?

Consumer I believe. She works for the all-mighty eBay. lol.

I thought for sure it would be easier for her to get one, seeing as she's already with one of the "official" carriers. But it turns out she's having a tougher time trying to get one than I did and I'm a 3 customer! It's craziness.

She's contemplating just getting the 8gb now.

iTy
3rd September 2008, 03:26 PM
Consumer I believe. She works for the all-mighty eBay. lol.

I thought for sure it would be easier for her to get one, seeing as she's already with one of the "official" carriers. But it turns out she's having a tougher time trying to get one than I did and I'm a 3 customer! It's craziness.

She's contemplating just getting the 8gb now.

I'll write my guy an e-mail and see if he can do me a favour. No promises as I don't want to get him sacked.

EDIT: there is also the Optus route as other posters have pointed out.

mitty
3rd September 2008, 03:29 PM
Alternatively, tell her to just buy it on the $19 plan from Optus. Not sure how that works out now but it's not much more than outright from Telstra including their $150 unlocking fee, with the added bonus you don't have to pay for it all at once, just remember to cut the optus supplied SIM off in 12 months time.

Totti
3rd September 2008, 03:34 PM
Um. Okay. When did you call them? As I said, a friend was in a T-Life store on friday of last week and no mention was made of the impending policy change.

25th or 26th - I was getting desperate to have one so i rang the city and doncaster stores :D

fickwalker
3rd September 2008, 03:42 PM
Alternatively, tell her to just buy it on the $19 plan from Optus. Not sure how that works out now but it's not much more than outright from Telstra including their $150 unlocking fee, with the added bonus you don't have to pay for it all at once, just remember to cut the optus supplied SIM off in 12 months time.

Yeah, that's what I did to get mine and take it to Three (Optus $19 plan). It's ended up costing me, in total (handset+plan), $740, which is quite a bit cheaper than buying it from Telstra and unlocking. I'll try to sway her to this way of thinking.

iTy, many thanks and of course, no pressure! I appreciate it, and so does my friend. :)

iTy
3rd September 2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, that's what I did to get mine and take it to Three (Optus $19 plan). It's ended up costing me, in total (handset+plan), $740, which is quite a bit cheaper than buying it from Telstra and unlocking. I'll try to sway her to this way of thinking.

iTy, many thanks and of course, no pressure! I appreciate it, and so does my friend. :)

Done. PM sent! :D

fickwalker
3rd September 2008, 04:11 PM
Sweet! You rock, iTy! :) :thumbup:

Beau
3rd September 2008, 06:03 PM
If its anything like my experience with Telstra for the last month or so, Telstra don't really care about consumers but it seems to be a completely different stoy if you have n ABN.

So, they'd probably sell the 16GB Outright if you had an ABN?

bacco007
3rd September 2008, 08:07 PM
I spoke to Telstra, they said that you can still buy one outright as long as you do it over the phone or via their web support and have a valid contract. The cot of the phone is added on to the cost of your bill

tkilik11
3rd September 2008, 08:21 PM
so how much for 8gb outright?