PDA

View Full Version : "This weekend" or "Next weekend"

timothy
1st September 2008, 08:28 PM
If I was to say "Next weekend" I actually mean the weekend about to arrive being the weekend that is next on the calendar.

My wife and enjoy a long and heated discussion on the matter.

My statement is to avoid confusion I always clarify "This weekend coming" is the next weekend and that the weekend after is "The weekend after next"

I suppose it is around midday on wednesday that "Next weekend" is not actually the next weekend. It is the weekend after "This weekend"

Next will always be next, but in the slang of conversation "this" can replace "next" when talking about the weekend.

No-one is wrong, it is just nice to clarify which weekend one is talking about.

This weekend and Next weekend are the same thing on a monday.

Is there a known rule or is it just a common debate?

themessup
1st September 2008, 08:30 PM
Well the next weekend is the next saturday coming. "This Weekend" should only be used when we are in a weekend.

kevinnugent
1st September 2008, 08:30 PM
Jesus, my wife's from Texas. We have enough trouble understanding anything we say! :)

But, I'd say "this weekend" and then the following one would be "next weekend"..... but we do talk in dates now too to avoid confusion.

andrew.wilson
1st September 2008, 08:34 PM
I work in retail, what's a weekend?! :p

kevinnugent
1st September 2008, 08:38 PM
It's those two working days when you have a hangover. :)

MrJesseRoss
1st September 2008, 09:00 PM
I work in retail, what's a weekend?! :p

Ugh, I only recently finished 3 years of that. Working every weekend is a total bitch.

This weekend = the weekend coming up (technically it's still part of this week, as the week starts on a Sunday.)
Next weekend = the next one.

banjo
1st September 2008, 09:31 PM
"This weekend" is the end of this week.
"Last weekend" was the end of last week.
"Next weekend" will be the end of next week.

It makes perfect sense to me since, despite Sunday officially starting the week, for most purposes Saturday and Sunday are both at the end of the week. Coming from a computer programming background, "this" often refers to the object of current focus, which would be in this case the current "week".

this
1. (used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as present, near, just mentioned or pointed out, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): This is my coat.
2. (used to indicate one of two or more persons, things, etc., referring to the one nearer in place, time, or thought; opposed to that): This is Liza and that is Amy.
4. what is about to follow: Now hear this! Watch this.

Technically, if you're going to use the word "next" at all, you should precede it with the word "the" to alleviate any misunderstanding.

If you say "next weekend" I will assume you're not talking about this one coming, but the one after that. But if you say "the next weekend" I will think you're talking about the first one in the future, which is actually this weekend.

NeoRicen
1st September 2008, 09:53 PM
I usually say "next weekend when the upcoming weeking is closer to the current day that the previous weekend. Saying "Next Weekend" on Monday sounds (to me) like the upcoming weekend, not the one after the coming weekend.

wolfie
1st September 2008, 11:53 PM
for me straightforward

this weekend is this weekend coming i.e at the end of the current week we are in.

next weekend is the end of next week.

quite simple really, anyone who argues otherwise should be shot :D

Aladdin
1st September 2008, 11:58 PM
Week starts on a Monday.

This weekend means the coming weekend or the weekend we're currently in (if it's Sat or Sun)

Next weekend is the weekend after 'this weekend'.

In the same way:

This Wednesday is the coming Wednesday (i.e. 2 days time) - today being Monday.

Next Wednesday is the following Wednesday, also called 'Wednesday week'.

Exocet
2nd September 2008, 08:33 AM
Think of "weekend" in terms of "week's end", as in "this week's end" or "next week's end". Makes more sense now doesn't it ;)

mitty
2nd September 2008, 01:49 PM
This arguement and the one about the orientation of your toilet paper on it's holder are interchangeable. This weekend is the weekend closest to the current day, including if the day is saturday or sunday. Next weekend is the weekend after the next one on the calendar, including if it's currently the weekend. And toilet paper should be oriented so the paper comes down from the back of the roll next to the wall. And I am lucky enough to have a toilet all to myself at home so it really doesn't matter which way the seat goes though for the record I always leave it down even though I'm a bloke.

BTW my sister just adopted a cat named Mac. Isn't that cute?

detail
2nd September 2008, 02:29 PM
Nah.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

On a Saturday or Sunday "this weekend" refers to ... well, that weekend. Any reference to "next weekend" refers to the following weekend.

During the week "this weekend" and "next weekend" refer to the same immediately following weekend.

(I'm a contrary bastard.)

NeoRicen
2nd September 2008, 05:25 PM
Week starts on a Monday.

This weekend means the coming weekend or the weekend we're currently in (if it's Sat or Sun)

Next weekend is the weekend after 'this weekend'.

In the same way:

This Wednesday is the coming Wednesday (i.e. 2 days time) - today being Monday.

Next Wednesday is the following Wednesday, also called 'Wednesday week'.
So saying "Next Wednesday" on Thursday is referring to Wednesday in just under two weeks? Doesn't sound right to me. I'd think the person was talking about the coming Wednesday.

Reubania
2nd September 2008, 05:48 PM
No, saying "next Wednesday" on Thursday is referring to the coming Wednesday (ie. 6 days time).

Aladdin
2nd September 2008, 09:37 PM
No, saying "next Wednesday" on Thursday is referring to the coming Wednesday (ie. 6 days time).

And saying 'this Wednesday' on a thursday would then mean . . . ???

Reubania
2nd September 2008, 09:40 PM
And saying 'this Wednesday' on a thursday would then mean . . . ???

Poor grammar. :D

Most likely in reference to the day before.

bartron
2nd September 2008, 10:18 PM
If it's thursday I say 'next wednesday' meaning the next occurring wednesday. I don't say 'this wednesday' until after the weekend.
If it's tuesday then 'this wednesday' refers to the wednesday occusing in 'this' week (i.e. the current week) and 'next wednesday' refers to the wednesday in the 'next' week.

I had a nice argument with this quirk of language with a pom mate at work in reference to driving and taking 'this left' or 'the next left'.....for the record 'the next left' is the one after 'this left'. :)

Reubania
2nd September 2008, 10:19 PM
If it's thursday I say 'next wednesday' meaning the next occurring wednesday. I don't say 'this wednesday' until after the weekend.
If it's tuesday then 'this wednesday' refers to the wednesday occusing in 'this' week (i.e. the current week) and 'next wednesday' refers to the wednesday in the 'next' week.

I had a nice argument with this quirk of language with a pom mate at work in reference to driving and taking 'this left' or 'the next left'.....for the record 'the next left' is the one after 'this left'. :)

Correct! :thumbup:

Rogerthatv2
3rd September 2008, 04:40 AM
Jesus, my wife's from Texas. We have enough trouble understanding anything we say! :)

But, I'd say "this weekend" and then the following one would be "next weekend"..... but we do talk in dates now too to avoid confusion.

Agree with Kevin on this one as well, this weekend coming is this weekend and the one following is next weekend, shits me to tears when I am at work and my staff start talking next weekend and who is working when they are really meaning this weekend, just my opinion but.

Aladdin
3rd September 2008, 09:10 AM

. . . except when you have just passed the intersection when 'this left' refers to the intersection you've just passed, and 'next left' refers to the upcoming left intersection. Once you are halfway down the block, then 'this left' refers to the upcoming left intersection . . .

:D

banjo
3rd September 2008, 04:58 PM
. . . except when you have just passed the intersection when 'this left' refers to the intersection you've just passed, and 'next left' refers to the upcoming left intersection. Once you are halfway down the block, then 'this left' refers to the upcoming left intersection . . .

Which is why I always say "second left" or "not this one here, but the next one". Or I memorise the directions and drive myself to avoid confusion.

smilne360
3rd September 2008, 05:05 PM
always have the same issues with the driving instructor, she says turn at the next left, then all upset when i go past it...