PDA

View Full Version : what is jail braking

eclipz
1st September 2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Guys,

What exactly is jail braking... i have read many things and heard many things but i am getting confused with what it really is.....

NathR32
1st September 2008, 07:04 PM
It basically allows the use of third party applications on your iPhone.

Apple has the App Store loaded onto your phone, however there are many apps that are not supported by Apple, but are available on Installer/Cydia.

eclipz
1st September 2008, 07:08 PM
thanks mate. that sums it up nicely... so whats better? installer or cydia?

NathR32
1st September 2008, 07:10 PM
I think Cydia is. Installer is still only a beta and I dont have many repositories (sources), so there isnt much stuff on there at all.

Cydia is easy to use, and contains alot of apps that you might find useful. Custom carrier logos, different themes, five icons in the dock, custom ringtones/SMS tones are all possible on a jailbroken phone.

Don't like being jailbroken? Just restore using standard 2.0.2 firmware, and it'll be like just out of the box.

eclipz
1st September 2008, 07:15 PM
so were do i start?

NathR32
1st September 2008, 07:17 PM
2G or 3G iPhone?

There are very decent tutorials set up on here for either iPhone.

2G iPhone: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/53982-jailbreaking-unlocking-your-1st-gen-iphone-running-2-0-firmware.html

3G iPhone: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/54021-guide-jailbreak-iphone-3g-without-errors.html

boddiz
1st September 2008, 07:18 PM
Jailbreaking is the proccess used to gain access to the app partition of the phone. This means that you can add programs, modify system files, etc.

To jailbreak, go to blog.iPhone-dev.org, and download pwnagetool or quickpwn. These are easy to use programs that will guide you through it step by step.

HTH

matthew858
1st September 2008, 07:23 PM
Jailbreaking is the proccess used to gain access to the app partition of the phone. This means that you can add programs, modify system files, etc.

To jailbreak, go to blog.iPhone-dev.org, and download pwnagetool or quickpwn. These are easy to use programs that will guide you through it step by step.

HTH

Just make sure you understand .ipsw files and what they do and how to obtain them (if it doesn't say in the guide).