PDA

View Full Version : Weird iPhone problem - Anybody know the answer?

Tiprya
1st September 2008, 11:10 AM
So i'm having this weird problem.

My 2G iPhone just last night decided it wasn't going to find any signal - so it just says "Searching..." or "No Service"

I am now on FW2.0 but this has happened previously when I was on FW1.1.4.

When it happened before, I restored it and unlocked again with iLiberty+ but this didn't fix it, it randomly got service again about 18 hours after losing it.

I've never Ziphoned my iPhone and I'm in an area that should have full service.

I've also noticed the rear of the phone, towards the top gets much warmer than usual when it has lost service.

Anyone know what the dealio is?

Thanks in advance

Tiprya
1st September 2008, 11:39 AM
And BAM! iPhone is working again.

Just left it there "Searching..." while docked and all of a sudden full reception, weird.

Huy
1st September 2008, 11:41 AM
If that happens I'd give it a reboot and see what happens.

Tiprya
1st September 2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Huy - reboots don't fix it

It has reverted back to "No Service" - So its broken again,

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

matthew858
1st September 2008, 06:43 PM
At a guess, it could be a faulty Infeon mobile chip, not something to do with the software.

Comet
1st September 2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds more like a hw issue though. Heatingupis a result of not being able to latch onto a cell tower, this the signal strength is increased. All I can suggest is to get a sim card of a different carrier and see if you see the same behavior. You could have somehow damaged your sim card so getting replacement might be another option

David Turnedge
1st September 2008, 06:59 PM
Weird is that all of a sudden this weekend I got a No Service message on my iPhone which is now an issue into today... I am in Chatswood weekdays (near the Apple Store they don't have yet in Chadstone) and I am still getting no Telstra signal... tomorrow I am talking to the Telstra shop about it if it doesn't come right...

Tiprya
1st September 2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks for your input guys,

Well my SIM (virgin) works in another phone and an Optus SIM has the same problem in my phone.

Not looking good - Seems hardware is the most likely explanation.

I'll let you know of any developments. Google showed some people having the same problem but no answers as to the cause or a solution.

Tiprya
6th September 2008, 03:28 PM
So, I've re-restored the iphone and pwned the bootloader/baseband - The problem remains...

Seems the most likely culprit is the Communications Board.

This is fine, but the replacement looks to be prohibitively difficult and the comms board itself is pretty expensive

Guess I'll keep an eye out for some iPhones with broken screens for sale cheaply.

Anyway, thought I'd let people know the results, if anyone has any other ideas they would be much appreciated.