PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Restore Loop

the_doctor
1st September 2008, 08:48 AM
I found out a frustrating thing about the iPhone this weekend. I had to do a restore to my precious iPhone 3G. After a 10 min successful restore to factory conditions I was given the option to Set Up As New Phone or Restore from a Previous Backup.

Since I didn't want to loose any of my data (eg: emails, sms, app settings and home screen icon layouts) I decided to choose the option to Restore from a Previous Backup. The Restore took another hour and 40 minutes and when it was complete it again presented me with the option to Set Up As New Phone or Restore from a previous backup.

At this stage if I ejected the iPhone, the Phone would be working fine and restored back to what it was before I needed to restore. However when I would connect back to iTunes it didn't recognise the iPhone and was again asking if I wanted to Set Up as New Phone or Restore from a previous back up.

I decided to Restore from a Previous Backup as I didn't want to have to set it up as a new phone to keep my settings. Knowing that it would take a while I decided to leave it for an hour and a half. When I got back to my computer the progress bar of the restore was stuck halfway and was still like that several hours later.

I decided to quit the restore and decided to put it back in DFU mode as the phone was effectively useless and then restored again from Previous Backup. This time it completed the resotre again in an hour and 40 minutes and then again prompted me to either Set Up As New Phone or Restore from a previous backup.

Now I wasn't going to fall for the Infinite Restore Loop again so I bit the bullet and Set Up As New Phone but used the same name as the restore.

Well what do you know ...... when that was complete a minute later my phone was back to the previous backups state.

Why does it do this? Apple should word that screen better or fix the bug that causes this.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Linux_insidev2
1st September 2008, 10:39 AM
A friend and myself have had the same issue with our iPhone 3G's though the original iPhone never did this to me.

Have you jailbroken yours?

the_doctor
1st September 2008, 10:43 AM
A friend and myself have had the same issue with our iPhone 3G's though the original iPhone never did this to me.

Have you jailbroken yours?

No. I haven't jailbroken my 3G.

Never had any issue with my original iPhone. Now my iPhone crashes a lot. The crashes usually occur after installing/deleting apps directly from the iPhone.

arkenstone
1st September 2008, 11:01 AM
I had the same problem updating to 2.0.1 - the way I fixed it was to force-kill itunes while it was restoring the third time (teh Googles told me).

Worked fine and haven't been prompted to restore again since.

WhiteiPhone
1st September 2008, 06:46 PM
this is the trick,

restore it once, then when it pops up for a second time, you click restore again and as soo as you get the "Restore in Progress" screen on your iphone, pull the usb out it will show "Restore Complete" then reset the phone (power and home)
and it will keep the backup and will detect and work fine

Venusian
1st September 2008, 06:59 PM
yup i've been stuck in this loop too, but i had the option to use an older back up which worked (but then i lost a rather important note :( )

the_doctor
2nd September 2008, 12:01 AM
this is the trick,

restore it once, then when it pops up for a second time, you click restore again and as soo as you get the "Restore in Progress" screen on your iphone, pull the usb out it will show "Restore Complete" then reset the phone (power and home)

I saw this method posted elsewhere on the net after my Infinite Restore Loop Odyssey.

Will give it try if my phone ever cracks it again.

the_doctor
4th September 2008, 12:32 PM
this is the trick,

I can confirm that this method works 100%

It wasn't my iPhone that cracked it but my mates. I was with him at the time and his phone froze on the Apple Logo. We put the phone into DFU mode. Restored it. Then Restored to a Previous Backup.

Once finished the Infinite Restore Loop was about to begin again. This time when we selected Restore from Previous Backup we unplugged after clicking restore again as soon as the "Restore in Progress" screen on the iPhone came up. Automatically the screen showed Restore Complete. When we connected the iPhone to the computer, everything was as it should be.

Stupid way to get the damn thing to restore.

Ecto1
4th September 2008, 03:19 PM
It happen to me twice. It simple, if I get it looping after I do a restore I just hit set up as new phone and it fixed. it will go back to itunes and all is well again.

the_doctor
4th September 2008, 03:23 PM
It happen to me twice. It simple, if I get it looping after I do a restore I just hit set up as new phone and it fixed. it will go back to itunes and all is well again.

That's true but then you lose all the settings you have set up for the phone. You also lose all application data, sms, email, homescreen layout, not to mention having to sync all Apps, music, video and photos which can take a good couple of hours.

Linux_insidev2
4th September 2008, 03:39 PM
That's true but then you lose all the settings you have set up for the phone. You also lose all application data, sms, email, homescreen layout, not to mention having to sync all Apps, music, video and photos which can take a good couple of hours.

No you don't

You let it restore the backup once, then the next time it asks you after reboot choose "setup as a new phone" and name it the same thing as before and you're done.

That's what I did