PDA

View Full Version : Iphone users please read.

MrKite
31st August 2008, 11:05 PM
G,day

Ive recently been looking in the market for a suitable phone to meet my needs (15 year old= social+passion for technology) and i was going to go onto a two year contract with the hip top slide, until i found the IPHONE! My justification for this is that if im going to be on a two year contract :( im gonna want a phone that is reliable and i will enjoy for the time that i have it.
Im asking anyone who has experience with an iphone if they could share some of there good/bad experiences along with possibly some advice for plans etc (atm im am looking at the optus $49 cap and poosibly upgrading if it isnt enough).
I would also appreciate it if some1 could shed some light on the insurance side of things as i have previously been unlucky with mobile phones and i believe this would be a wise option. does it replace the phone or simply give u a certain amount of money back. ( i have looked through several threads already.

NathR32
31st August 2008, 11:20 PM
Use the search function or read the stickies.

Huy
31st August 2008, 11:22 PM
Save up. Get it outright.

OR
Get a first gen iPhone. :)

WhiteiPhone
31st August 2008, 11:31 PM
if want e a hiptop you are not social,
you more like want to chat to your buddies on msn not in person.

if you 15 dont get a iphone u will break it

dinoo
31st August 2008, 11:41 PM
Well, this is what I am on:

iPhone Optus $19 CAP
includes $50 calls, text and 100mb data

+ $26 iPhone 16gb + $8.40 insurance

So, $53 a month, after GST.

The insurance optus provide is a replacement, where in the first year you must pay a $200 excess, second year $100 excess and thereafter nothing.

The iPhone is very reliable, and good for MSNing and emailing on the go. Internet and all the apps are a bonus. iPod is the awesome factor.

But, unfortunately, with this big release, everyone has an iPhone. There go the days of me being the only one with a Mac and an iPhone.. =[

(I am 17)

WhiteiPhone
1st September 2008, 12:26 AM
Well, this is what I am on:

iPhone Optus $19 CAP
includes $50 calls, text and 100mb data

+ $26 iPhone 16gb + $8.40 insurance

So, $53 a month, after GST.

paying to much i reckon

im in the $49cap
$300 calls sms 300MB data
iphone repay $10
insurance $8.40

for me its like $15 more then you but i get so much shiz.

(i am 18)

dinoo
1st September 2008, 12:33 AM
paying to much i reckon

im in the $49cap
$300 calls sms 300MB data
iphone repay $10
insurance $8.40

for me its like $15 more then you but i get so much shiz.

(i am 18)

Ill probably upgrade to that once ownership can transfer to my name and my folks don't have control over my bill, for now I have my prepaid sim and "sim removal tool' in my wallet!

WindowsVista
1st September 2008, 11:19 PM
Im 14 and I have an iPhone (and I said I wouldn't get one - haha!!). And yes, I payed for every cent of it. I am on a plan, but I payed my dad the total of the plan (Like $972) so I don't accidentally spend it etc. I am yet to break a phone (excluding one incident...but thats a long story) or lose/get one stolen. I am on the $29 'yes' plan which suits me perfectly - $24 talk and text + the 'yes' text option I selected (free) which is where I get 100 free texts. This suits me perfectly, and so does the amount of data included (250mb). The phone is the 16GB White model on a 12 month plan (I'd steer clear of the 24month plans)
If you used your phone to call a bit more, this plan probably wouldn't suit you.
Just think:
Can I afford it?
How do I treat my property, am I careless, clumsy?
Does it suit my needs?

Do all your maths and work out if you can afford it
Plan before you buy (work out which parents name it goes in, proove to them you know what your putting yourself into so read the T&C's - understand them. Make sure you know how to pay etc)
Think about it...wait a week or something...whilst using your current phone, imagine replacing that with an iPhone, would it work? Would you break it? Would you lose it? etc...etc

kogi
2nd September 2008, 08:20 AM
Can remember where I read it but there is a post where someone gave an iphone to their daughter. The first bill was $700 worth of sms. (can't remember exact)

Moral of the story. Examine your usage. then choose a plan to suit.

MrKite
2nd September 2008, 11:14 AM
Hey thanks for all ur suport so far.

if want e a hiptop you are not social,
you more like want to chat to your buddies on msn not in person. i was saying this because telstra offers a $30 all you can eat plan where in u get unlimited txt and msn, which is good for when im not with friends.
Yeah i read that thread about the daughter and i honestly dont know how she did it really. like im looking at the $49 cap which offers $300 credit, mi mum is willing to pay for half of the expenses and ill pay for any extras which i hope there wont be. i honestly dont think that $50 worth of calls would be enough especially on a plan where the is no hassle of having to recharge. But if one is on the $29 cap, isnt the actually phone repayment a lot dearer

beneboi
2nd September 2008, 11:53 PM
Mate you are 15! there is no mobile phone out there that will suit your needs as you have NONE! Why don't you just save your money and learn something at school, instead of having some device to show off to people and dick around with.

I also don't understand who you need to be calling since you see all your friends all the time every day either at school, the bus, train, or somewhere after school so really all the phone is for is to call your parents to pick you up, really you don't need this device to do this.

Finally your parents must be incredibly stupid to even consider getting this device for you at all let alone on such an expensive plan when you have no way of paying the bills for a start and also when some adults aren't even on plans this expensive and they have full time jobs with a need and purpose for the device!

WhiteiPhone
3rd September 2008, 12:15 AM
some adults aren't even on plans this expensive and they have full time jobs with a need and purpose for the device!

$49 a month is alot for you?
what do you do?
id suggust youlook for a new career

and at the kid who wants it, if you want it so much get it but done come complain to us when your bill is a few grand!
go get a job first dude

beneboi
3rd September 2008, 11:24 AM
$49 a month is alot for you?
what do you do?
id suggust youlook for a new career

Ok firstly its none of your business how much is a lot for me nor what i do, however all i will say is that i pay more than that per month. The difference is i can pay it and i am not using any device to just show off, but to actually use for its intended purpose!

At 15 or 14 or any age until realistically 21 you are still a child. Focus on being a child go play! Why would you want to put yourself/ parents into debt over a bloody phone just to look cool and show off to everyone. Honestly there is more to life than having your 15 minutes of popularity at school just because you have an iphone.

Sadly it is mostly to be blamed on your parents they must be real idiots for even considering it in the first place.

nando
3rd September 2008, 11:31 AM
to the OP what really do u plan to do with the iPhone???
most of the good apps for the iPhone require internet conenctivity...ie if u plan to use myFace or plan to Twit a lot..

I agree...it looks weird to see a kid with an iPhone....dont know..they dont seem to appreciate the technology behind it...
not saying u have to appreciate the technology to have an iPhone..but IMO 15 YO kids would just want to listen to music...and thats it....
unless ur parents are rich then..really...Nokias are good enough for a 15 YO...

MrKite
3rd September 2008, 12:30 PM
ok Benebei i would appreciate it if u didnt call mi parents idiots as you know nothing about them.
2nd i would never want to put my parents into debt and i wouldnt even consider purchasing something as costly as the iphone if i didnt have a job to pay for the majority of it myself, this is also why i choose one of the higher end plans because i very highly doubt that i will exceed the data limit or the text/call limit.
and to the people that believe i am too younug i respect this as i am only 15 but i do need a phone at the moment and i would rather spend that bit extra and get something as good as the iphone which i know has a superior UI etc then buy some simple piece of poo phone which after 24 or even 12 months on a plan im gonna ditch. the iphone is something i will probably keep for a wile afterwards even if a better phone does come out.

stevejay
3rd September 2008, 12:31 PM
As an old bugger (with teen daughters) my advice is go cheap prepaid on the same network as most of your friends (eg Telstra2Telstra can be 1c text) and save your money for a car. (You'll never know what poor is until you own a car, so save for one, don't finance it! Worse credit traps than mobile phones!)

I can see the allure of the shiny, and peer pressure can be a bitch but staying lower down the food chain, you'll have more money to spend down at the cafe (while your friends with iPhones and HipTops) are complaining they can only afford coffee, not cake, too. My 15yo said to me a few weeks back (and she figured this out for herself) that she couldn't see the point to iPhone, too expensive for what you get - she's a gear head and IM crazy.

Anyway, only my 2 cents, and you might have more than a social reason to use iPhone, or a better weekend job than my 15yo. Just putting an alternative case for balance. Have fun and enjoy whatever you choose.

nando
3rd September 2008, 02:43 PM
and to the people that believe i am too younug i respect this as i am only 15 but i do need a phone at the moment and i would rather spend that bit extra and get something as good as the iphone which i know has a superior UI etc then buy some simple piece of poo phone which after 24 or even 12 months on a plan im gonna ditch. the iphone is something i will probably keep for a wile afterwards even if a better phone does come out.

am pretty sure in 2 yrs...or less there will be a better iPhone and most iPhone 3g will go the way of the iPhone V1 and thats only 1 year ago!

so if u really need a phone...gosh...Nokias are really the go...
if u plan to use ur phone as a PDA then...either a black berry or an iPhone..
but..doubt u plan to organise ur life around a PDA...
believe me iPhone 3G wont have the same attractiveness as they have now in 2 years or even 1 year time...
my 2c ;)

Cybix
3rd September 2008, 03:25 PM
do they still teach kids how to spell in school? curious...

themessup
3rd September 2008, 04:21 PM
Mate you are 15! there is no mobile phone out there that will suit your needs as you have NONE! Why don't you just save your money and learn something at school, instead of having some device to show off to people and dick around with.

I also don't understand who you need to be calling since you see all your friends all the time every day either at school, the bus, train, or somewhere after school so really all the phone is for is to call your parents to pick you up, really you don't need this device to do this.

Finally your parents must be incredibly stupid to even consider getting this device for you at all let alone on such an expensive plan when you have no way of paying the bills for a start and also when some adults aren't even on plans this expensive and they have full time jobs with a need and purpose for the device!

The OP was asking for people to share their experiences on the phone and what plan would be suitable, not how to spend his money.

MrKite
3rd September 2008, 04:31 PM
The OP was asking for people to share their experiences on the phone and what plan would be suitable, not how to spend his money.

Thank you. Also to Steve Jay and Nando ur opinions and advice are much appreciated and i will deffinetly take them into consideration when the time comes for me to purchase a phone.
But yeah could we mayb have a lil more about the iphone and not so much bout how im not old enough to own one.
cheers

beneboi
3rd September 2008, 04:38 PM

Yes and i did exactly that! there is no plan suitable for him for this phone!

MrKite
3rd September 2008, 04:47 PM
Yes and i did exactly that! there is no plan suitable for him for this phone!

Can i ask y?
because im going to be spending a fair whack of money towards data and calls/text on any phone that i purchase so y not pay an extra couple of bucks (out of my pocket) and get a nice phone as well

beneboi
3rd September 2008, 04:54 PM
ok Benebei i would appreciate it if u didnt call mi parents idiots as you know nothing about them.
2nd i would never want to put my parents into debt and i wouldnt even consider purchasing something as costly as the iphone if i didnt have a job to pay for the majority of it myself, this is also why i choose one of the higher end plans because i very highly doubt that i will exceed the data limit or the text/call limit.

Ok for a start i don't think you need this device as you cant even speak properly to begin with you really need to focus on school rather than wasting your parents money on this junk!

So you clearly have no intention of paying for it since you said the "majority." I was 15 once too!

I can assure you, you have no intention of using this device after 12 months if that let alone 2 years. Basically its pretty clear you just want to show off! At 15 you would e better to exercise some common sense and maturity to your parents and just go with a $100-$200 phone on prepaid. Save your money for something like a car, i can assure you that will be the next "thing" you will want once you start driving and get your license.

Besides all this to be perfectly honest at 15 you have no need for the majority of the features on the device. You don't work in an office on in a job (let alone at all) where you need to email people nor do you need $250 dollars worth of calls or text if you do that is just outrageous. You wont be able to freely use the app store as you have no credit card not to mention the majority of the stuff on there is junk anyway. You also don't need to use the calendar as you are at school every day.It doesn't have mms so you cant send pictures or receive them from your friends. You wont be able to text people from under the desk anymore since there are no buttons (yes i know you still do this) So to sum it up apart from the phone part of it the device is completely useless for your "purposes" you would be better saving your money.

And im sorry but your parents really are idiots for even considering buying you this device in their name and putting it on a contract in their name. After all if you go over your plan then they get stuck with the bill not you regardless of you saying you are paying for it.

kogi
3rd September 2008, 04:59 PM
The thing is you said your looking for a phone to suit your 'needs'. 'Need' not 'want'

What you need is a nokia 6300 on a $29 plan. Good reliable, cheap phone. As you stated, you don't make may calls. You don't need on the go internet access. You don't carry a ipod with you for music.

What you 'want' is an iphone. Stop waffling about justifying it if you 'want' one. Just count the number of phone calls and sms's that you make. Then get the plan that suits the amount of usage. It's not rocket science.

beneboi
3rd September 2008, 05:01 PM
Can i ask y?
because im going to be spending a fair whack of money towards data and calls/text on any phone that i purchase so y not pay an extra couple of bucks (out of my pocket) and get a nice phone as well

To be perfectly honest with you, because you are a child and you need to learn the value of a dollar and the value of things. If you actually sit down and work it all out you will be spending over $1000 just for 12 months for a bloody phone! I can think of a lot better uses for that than on a phone which will be yesterdays news!

if you really want this device go and buy it prepaid then you might realise how much of a waste it is spending close to $1000 for a phone plus the ongoing data/phone calls when after a week you no longer use half the features. you also will own it yourself and it will be your responsibility not your parents.

beneboi
3rd September 2008, 05:02 PM
The thing is you said your looking for a phone to suit your 'needs'. 'Need' not 'want'

What you need is a nokia 6300 on a $29 plan. Good reliable, cheap phone. As you stated, you don't make may calls. You don't need on the go internet access. You don't carry a ipod with you for music.

What you 'want' is an iphone. Stop waffling about justifying it if you 'want' one. Just count the number of phone calls and sms's that you make. Then get the plan that suits the amount of usage. It's not rocket science.

FINALLY! someone with a brain!

silverdreamer
3rd September 2008, 05:08 PM
G,day............I would also appreciate it if some1 could shed some light on the insurance side of things as i have previously been unlucky with mobile phones and i believe this would be a wise option. does it replace the phone or simply give u a certain amount of money back. ( i have looked through several threads already.

Your parents contents insurance valued items section will cover your iPhone, and for that matter any phone over a certain value, ask Dad about his coverage.

dinoo
3rd September 2008, 06:31 PM
FINALLY! someone with a brain!

Sounds like you are bitter, beneboi.

If he wants an iPhone, he can get one. Fuck, I am 17, and I use every function of my phone. Whether it be organising my week - and what assignments/SACs I have or emailing family/teachers/mates. I use the phone function, internet and maps to find my way. I also enjoy the music and photo features. I have had phones that have had music functions before (ROKR - shudders!), and since my iPhone, I have put down my iPod. Some games and apps are just a bonus. And do you know what the funny thing is? I didn't want the iPhone to show off, I got it because it helps me go about my everyday life.

Don't be so judgemental mate, maybe the kid is organised, or wants to organise his life. I am sick of some bigoted adults. You may have been 15 one day, but not in this day and age. Who the fuck cares if he wants to use the phone to show off? That is his problem. Id there an age restriction on using a phone?

--

To the OP, just go with what you think is suitable. Like I said, the plan I detailed on page one is what I am on, and I am a bit of a heavy user. What type of usage do you do currently? How many text/calls?

Also, remember, seeing as you will be on a plan, your mates will wanna use your phone to call, and likewise, you may have to call your mates etc. This can be a pain in the ass, and you should consider not telling them.

WhiteiPhone
3rd September 2008, 07:16 PM
If he wants an iPhone, he can get one. Fuck, I am 17, and I use every function of my phone. Whether it be organising my week - and what assignments/SACs I have or emailing family/teachers/mates. I use the phone function, internet and maps to find my way. I also enjoy the music and photo features. I have had phones that have had music functions before (ROKR - shudders!), and since my iPhone, I have put down my iPod. Some games and apps are just a bonus. And do you know what the funny thing is? I didn't want the iPhone to show off, I got it because it helps me go about my everyday life.

Don't be so judgemental mate, maybe the kid is organised, or wants to organise his life. I am sick of some bigoted adults. You may have been 15 one day, but not in this day and age. Who the fuck cares if he wants to use the phone to show off? That is his problem. Id there an age restriction on using a phone?

+1 iPhone runs my life.
:eek:

dinoo
3rd September 2008, 07:31 PM
+1 iPhone runs my life.

It is scary, isn't it?

kogi
3rd September 2008, 08:06 PM
It is scary, isn't it?

So scary I'm thinking of buying a backup iphone.

WindowsVista
3rd September 2008, 08:07 PM
So scary I'm thinking of buying a backup iphone.

LOL!!

Arkhum_Eramak
3rd September 2008, 08:32 PM
Gotta admit - I bought a thousand dollar smartphone at 16, and a replacement at 18. Using MS Office, I wrote up all school projects, organized myself (I have a very poor memory) and all that. However - before it seems like I'm totally sided with the OP, I bought these outright and used prepaid, which was a much more sensible option as a student. So I think this one is very fifty/fifty.
I'm twenty-two now, and just went on my first mobile phone plan this year - partly for the iPhone, and partly because of work. Worked out nicely.

MrKite
3rd September 2008, 08:40 PM
beneboi-
ok i apologise for my grammatical errors on my previous posts but they were written at school and i didn't have time to spell check. Unfortunately the effects of using MSN slang to often has also taken its toll but i am by no means illiterate. i respect your opinions and will take them into much consideration as many make extremely valid points. But given my circumstances i reckon that this phone although it may be more a want then a need (aren't all phones?) it is entirely feasable and not some novelty item that i will just use to dick around with with my mates
Fuck, I am 17, and I use every function of my phone. Whether it be organising my week - and what assignments/SACs I have or emailing family/teachers/mates. I use the phone function, internet and maps to find my way. I also enjoy the music and photo features. I have had phones that have had music functions before (ROKR - shudders!), and since my iPhone, I have put down my iPod. Some games and apps are just a bonus. And do you know what the funny thing is? I didn't want the iPhone to show off, I got it because it helps me go about my everyday life.

no offense but he has a very good point and im sure he can relate to me a lot better then you could.

Im not saying that i NEED this phone but my mother (who solely supplies my credit) pays $30 a month for phone credit (i have been on prepaid from the day dot) and that barely lasts a week leaving me with practically no phone. Even if i did pay for the rest of the credit it would still total to a sum higher then what i would be paying for the iphone repayments etc anyway. My parents trust me and i'm not going to blow that away over something as mediocre as a phone bill and even if i did (unlikely), where am i going to run to? My parents arent idiot enough to let me simply get off scot-free.
so yeah your opinion is respected but if u got nothing good to say fuck off and stop acting like you know me.
cheers to dinoo

Reubania
3rd September 2008, 08:55 PM
You should be grateful that your mother pays for your credit. I think you should use what you've been given. And I don't know how you use up $30 in a week. My parents always taught me responsibility. If you want/need more phone credit, you earn it yourself - with your own money. Or you curb your usage.

I understand your point. I think the Cap plans are perfect for medium-to-heavy users. If you are a heavy user, then a Cap plan is for you. Since your mother is already paying $30 a month, an extra $19 (maybe from you) could give you a decent $49 cap plan.

But then you factor in the "cool" factor - the iPhone. There are plenty of new and current phones that are cheaper than Apple's own iPhone, that pretty much do the same things...IF not more! And with the GUI, for example, HTC's TouchFlo 3D design works wonder ontop of the rather woeful Windows Mobile 6.1. With Windows Mobile 7 coming out, expect them to lift their game at the GUI stakes.

*shudders* - cannot believe I'd just endorsed a Windows product.

But the point is, you seem set in your mind about what you want, what you need and what you desire. I understand as I was once your age. And although I maybe older, I am from the Gen Y era also - so we technically think the same way. So just get the iPhone, on a wonderful cap plan, and enjoy the freedom of not going over your limit. But if you do, it will just reinforce to everyone here and your parents that you are not capable of responsibility. I hope you can prove them wrong.

Currawong
3rd September 2008, 09:37 PM
http://www2.mactalk.com.au/gallery2/d/4606-1/currawatch.jpg

boddiz
3rd September 2008, 09:44 PM
I think you should get a hiptop, unlimited sms! I had one but i got out of the plan due to the slide breaking so much (early adopter). not as breakable as the iPhone.

I am 15 as well, and have a 16GB white iPhone. I bought it outright for $847.

For the person who said they don't know how he used $30 a week, I use at least 50, for just sms. thats minimum. and now before people say that its ridiculous, you should know I work about 20 hours a week as well as school.

But serious, I would probably rather a hiptop if I could go on a plan again.

Reubania
3rd September 2008, 09:57 PM
I said it. And I stick by the fact it's ridiculous.

I was on a $29 cap plan, gave me $75 worth of calls/text. I rarely used over $30...and the rare occasion was when I was breaking up with my partner - I incurred nearly my allocated $75.

Unlike most teens nowadays, I actually have succinct, blunt texts (I always text, rarely called). I don't waste my 25c on stupid one -liner text like "LOLZ" or "See you there".

And I worked 6 days a week, and studied part-time. So being smart with what credit you have is the point I am making. SURE, I *could* spend $50 min on text alone, but why would you? Being active and social (I work in the music industry AND in a hospital), I use every source available - work phone, internet, Facebook to keep tabs with my friends and social gatherings. I don't need to call the gf every night and talk for 1 hour.

dinoo
3rd September 2008, 10:07 PM
+1 iPhone runs my life.

beneboi-
ok i apologise for my grammatical errors on my previous posts but they were written at school and i didn't have time to spell check. Unfortunately the effects of using MSN slang to often has also taken its toll but i am by no means illiterate.
cheers to dinoo

No problems...
The iPhone will auto correct the crap language that us teens have become unfortunately accustomed to.

beneboi
4th September 2008, 08:22 PM
beneboi-
ok i apologise for my grammatical errors on my previous posts but they were written at school and i didn't have time to spell check.

You shouldn't need to use spell check nor grammar check for anything you have written on here its all just basic english, and the fact that you were writing it whilst at school speaks wonders for your teachers!

I agree with the person who said $30 a week is ridiculous. I'm sorry that is just the height of ridiculous! If you are using that much credit in a week which may i add you DON'T pay for it is just disrespectful and obnoxious and you need to learn some responsibility and stop using the damn phone! And since you don't pay for the credit you are already given how can you pay for an extra $19 per month?

Honestly either way i really couldn't care what you do, but this is why the world is in such a mess! (for those idiots who cant grasp this comment it may only be a phone but this is where it starts!)

MrKite
9th September 2008, 11:52 AM
Honestly either way i really couldn't care what you do, but this is why the world is in such a mess! (for those idiots who cant grasp this comment it may only be a phone but this is where it starts!)

k well im not asking for your opinion of how responsible or mature i am, nor am i asking you for your opinions about the intelligence of people you have never met or the problems of our world (which we are all fully aware of). So if you don't think an iphone would suit me thats fine, but you've clearly made your point so just let it be.

Any other opinions towards plans, insurance, memory, applications and/or other information in general would be much appreciated.
cheers

fickwalker
9th September 2008, 12:30 PM
Wow. Tons of internet butthurt going on in this thread. *gets popcorn and watches*

silverdreamer
9th September 2008, 12:34 PM
http://www2.mactalk.com.au/gallery2/d/4606-1/currawatch.jpg

Classic! :D

fother
9th September 2008, 12:36 PM
MrKite,

Leaving aside your (lack of) maturity, spelling and grammar...

How many calls do you make per day?
How long do these calls typically last (30 seconds, 1 minute, more...)
How many SMS messages do you make per day?
How many MMS messages do you make per day?
How many emails do you send per day (that you want to send from the phone)?
How much web browsing will you do per day?
How much will you use GPS per day?

These are the questions that will determine what plan suits you, if there is a suitable plan.

Yeah i read that thread about the daughter and i honestly dont know how she did it really. like im looking at the $49 cap which offers $300 credit, mi mum is willing to pay for half of the expenses and ill pay for any extras which i hope there wont be.

Ok, that's a serious alarm bell (or two). If you can't see how she did that, then you're not looking at everything you need to consider in working out what you need / want / can afford.

i honestly dont think that $50 worth of calls would be enough especially on a plan where the is no hassle of having to recharge.

Then think seriously about going for prepaid.

Look at how much you've been using your current phone. Factor in how much more you'd use an iPhone (cool factor / showing off to classmates / SMS being conversational and IM-like, rather than old SMS style). Frankly, however much you think that will increase your usage, double it. At least. Then you'll be getting close to understanding what bills you're committing to.

Think not only of how much you'll use it now. Think about school holidays, think about the next two years. Think about how you'll finance this for the next 24 consecutive months, without exception - like when you have to do christmas shopping, or your (future) girlfriend(/boyfriend) has a birthday, you still have to pay for the phone and your use of it.

For that matter, how much more will you use a phone if you get a steady girlfriend/boyfriend?* (Lots. At least expect to triple your phone use). Is the phone a commitment to being single for two years? Is the phone a commitment to relying on public transport for the next two years, rather than saving for a car? Then factor those costs...

Is your mum going to pay half for the whole two years, or until you get a job, or what? Factor the odds that she gets annoyed by the size of your bills and dumps the responsibility on you.

* Yeah, you might already have a serious girlfriend, I don't know - the point is, think about your lifestyle for the next 2 solid years before signing anything / getting mum to sign anything.

pawzlion
15th September 2008, 12:35 PM
To all the oldies in here. Wake up. Mobile phones are a part of teen life nowadays, and many parents DO provide a certain amount of "pocket money" specifically for their kids' communications needs. After all, we want them to ring home, do we not ?
Some kids are more tech oriented than others, so it's unfair to say "you're a kid, you don't NEED an iphone, you just want to show off".. No, the fact is that at even 14, the planning and organisational functions that an iPhone teach a child will be great skills in later life.

When I went through high school, I was lucky to have a Nokia 5110, but if I'd had an iPhone I know for a fact that I would have been able to organise my time better and deal with deadlines more efficiently. University and even high school to an extent is all about time management and organisation. Having an iPhone at an early stage and using it to note down your assignment deadlines is a massive boon. It's the sort of detailed organisation that normally only the really dedicated or geeky will do on pen and paper, but a smartphone makes it a piece of cake, so any kid will do it, because it's now EASY, and cool to boot !

Would I give one to my 11 year old non-techno savvy IM-crazy daughter and tell her to go nuts ? Probably not. I would make sure she understood her usage, I would review it with her, and I would monitor it to make sure it was not excessive. I would also choose a plan that suited and made sure she understood what value it included and what that meant in real terms such as sending SMS or downloading songs etc.

Parents who grew up in the generation before teens had mobile phones are unlikely to clearly understand their kids' actual needs versus their wants and desires. No, the iPhone is not necessary for most 11 year olds. But yes, it could make a few 16 year olds more organised and productive and teach them organisational skills they will need in tertiary study. It could also prove to be a huge time and money waster and a distraction from other tasks if they use it constantly.

All that being said, right at THIS point in time, having a smart phone when you're 15 isn't really that commonplace, and as such, that should be factored into the decision for by the parents and the child. One day it might be, but right now, it's bleeding edge and likely to make you stand out as an uber-geek rather than just looking fashionable and cool. It is also going to be a target for theft if they don't carry it on them, or breakage if they do, so insurance is a must. When a kid is 15 they're often not yet thinking about a car like we were at that age. Many, like my little brother who grew up in a generation of phones at school, would rather have a cool phone and bike it around town. So be it. If that's their choice, I'm ok with it. As long as it's a give and take... you get a more expensive phone, but you get less pocket money and you either don't get a car or you buy it yourself. What's more important to you ? Keep in mind that the decision you make now is the same decision you have to live with for the next TWO YEARS, which is a long time in a teenager's life.

Now, onto my experiences with the iPhone and plans. My wife and I have a white 16GB each. I don't think it's worth looking at the 8GB on plan or outright. I also think that buying outright is a massive waste of money as you spend four times the amount on the phone repayments you would otherwise, and the carriers don't give you any sort of discount anyway, they just don't charge you the repayments. I am on the Optus $59 Yes Cap plan with $350/500mb and about $8 a month on the handset (only $192 over two years ! This is why I say buying outright is pointless) and my wife is on the $19 Yes Cap plan with $100/100mb and pays $21 a month on repayments ($504 over two years). If Virgin covered the low end of the market (< $50) I would say go with them for a kid's phone as network reliability isn't going to matter to you as much as price, but sadly Virgin only cover the high end which leaves you with Optus.

I think the $49 Yes Cap plan with $300/250mb is the best value for money until they introduce a middle-ground plan between 19 and 49. (Where's $39 ? That's what a kid wants - $10 per week plus handset repayments.. it'd be ideal!) That's going to provide you the most calls and SMS for the least monthly spend. If you think you need more calls or data than that then I'd say there's something seriously wrong with the way you use your phone.

Note to the older generation: Don't bash on the kids because they're using casual IM-style language in a public forum. This is the way kids are talking these days. There are plenty of people from the older generation who can't spell properly, the difference is that they often don't use computers heavily. In the newer generation, even those who can't spell or grammaticise properly still post to forums or use IM. Deal with it.

Note to the younger generation: Learn to realise when correct capitalisation and grammar, and previewing and checking your post will get you the online respect you desire and avoid these sort of "You can't even spell, how can you afford an expensive phone ?" flame-wars. The best thing you can do before you post to a forum is type the post into a text editor that has inline spell checking (TextEdit for mac, probably Word for windows), and read it through once first before you post. You will get much more respect and much less abuse. IM or IRC are appropriate places for using "IM-Speak". A public forum is not.