PDA

View Full Version : 3 Phone died early, wish to stay with 3, how do I get iPhone cheaply?

adothetechy
31st August 2008, 09:50 PM
Hi,

I am currently in the 18th month of a 24 month contract with Three and my Nokia 6288 has developed a critical fault of draining the battery in 5 hours flat, regardless of the battery I use. So instead of waiting until my contract was up before upgrading my phone, I'm going to have to upgrade early, and thus before Three successfully secure the iPhone.

From my conversation with the upgrades department today I am confused. I know they said something about $176.20 to pay out the rest of my handset or something like that, but I'm not sure what the rules are if I were to bring an iPhone and go onto the iPhone plans with the $300 rebate.

So I'd like to go onto a new $49 cap, but I'm not sure what the cheapest way to pay for the iPhone handset will be and how much it will cost outside of the $49 cap. My dad isn't too keen to pay much extra.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Adrian

p.s. Three support are annoying with their line about "Have you thought about getting any of the Noka phones?"

Aladdin
31st August 2008, 10:56 PM
You wish to stay with 3, you'll have to buy a iPhone 3G outright from someone who will sell you one.

Do a forum search, but you're looking at approx $900-$1K for a 16GB model.

For cheaper, look for a second hand iPhone (original 2G model).

Plan B - it's somewhere on these fora - go onto an Optus 24 month contract which will get you the cheapest price overall (upfront fee plus 24 x monthly plan fee), get it unlocked (no charge, supposedly,coz it's a 24 month plan, but do check) and move to 3 and get rebate.

Do the sums. See what's best for you.

decryption
31st August 2008, 10:58 PM
Go to Optus.
8GB pre-paid iPhone is $729.
Pay $80 to unlock it.
Total price, $809.
Plonk your 3 SIM in your new iPhone.
Enjoy.

Aladdin
31st August 2008, 11:19 PM
What's the minimum pre-paid amount? Surely you can't buy a pre-paid plan for $0, or can you?

And IIRC, the 16GB model is $120 more than the 8GB model.

jrad
31st August 2008, 11:21 PM
my Nokia 6288 has developed a critical fault of draining the battery in 5 hours flat, regardless of the battery I use.

I had this issue. Check the battery - mine had become swollen. Stop using the battery if you find this is happening, then rock up at your local phone dealer and pay for a new battery - around $70 and you get excellent battery life again!

Soon after my screen cracked, but thats another story... :p

adothetechy
31st August 2008, 11:40 PM
I had this issue. Check the battery - mine had become swollen. Stop using the battery if you find this is happening, then rock up at your local phone dealer and pay for a new battery - around $70 and you get excellent battery life again!

Sounds like the same issue, but if I swap battery with dad's 6288 it doesn't change anything. So it seems to me that it is more the phone than the battery.

fickwalker
1st September 2008, 08:30 AM
As far as I know, Optus has stopped selling pre-paid iPhones. Your only choice to purchase outright is Telstra - $729 For 8gb, $847 for the 16gb. Plus $150 for the unlock.

The only other option you have (if you don't want to outlay that kind of money in one hit) is to sign up to a cheap plan with Optus and have them unlock it for you. This is what I did and ended up saving a bunch of money on my handset cost. All in all, my total cost for phone and $19 Plan, that I don't use, is under $800. For a 16gb iPhone. :)

gikku
1st September 2008, 10:57 AM

+1 :)

WoWTopia
1st September 2008, 11:31 AM
Go to Optus.
8GB pre-paid iPhone is $729.
Pay $80 to unlock it.
Total price, $809.
Plonk your 3 SIM in your new iPhone.
Enjoy.

i believe optus ditched pre paid

Exocet
1st September 2008, 12:11 PM
As mentioned, go onto Optus and sign up to the 'yes' $19 iPhone cap, and then take all the money you had saved up to buy it outright and immediately transfer it into your Optus account. Over the next 12 months your repayments will gradually eat into the credit balance until the end of the year when you can cancel without penalty.

fickwalker
2nd September 2008, 09:43 AM
Also? Was told yesterday by T-Life on George Street that as of September 1st, they are no longer selling 16gb iPhone's outright. 8gb only.

It makes zero sense. I went in with a friend to get one for her (she's an existing telstra customer) and they wouldn't sell it to her. Ridiculous.