PDA

View Full Version : Rather Uninspired Review Of Osx Tiger..

grorr76
26th April 2005, 12:46 PM
hey every one i was doing some surfing and found this review of tiger
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/macosx_tiger.asp

have a read and post yr thoughts??

Disko
26th April 2005, 12:48 PM
um... well what do you expect from a tiger review from "Winsupersite". :)

edit: This cracked me up - he referes to the core technologies as 'low-level'
"though developers will be interested in some of the low-level work Apple has done with Core Image, Core Audio, and other technologies"

hawker
26th April 2005, 12:52 PM
How they hell can they compare OS X to that heap of crap Win XP!!!

grorr76
26th April 2005, 12:54 PM
true but some of his points are not outragiously stupid, im always sceptical also about overhyped new hardware/software interesting to hear another opinion, no one yet has been able to tell me what tiger will do for me, all im hearing is hype not practical answers , its a lot of money to spend if it is just a minor upgrade, so I think asking some questions about its value are highly warrented> Also ive seen little to no data about any speed increases or performance so will be interesting when some outsiders start filtering some data through.

Squozen
26th April 2005, 01:00 PM
$199 is a lot of money? :blink:

grorr76
26th April 2005, 01:02 PM
It is if 10.4 aint much different to 10.3.9.. (Playing devils advocate here) :P

hawker
26th April 2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Apr 26 2005, 01:00 PM
$199 is a lot of money? :blink:
Yeah, it's a life savings :P

iSlayer
26th April 2005, 01:04 PM
$199
yes it alot but not compared to how much longhorn will cost.
i think xp started at like 600 or something.

$199 isnt much though when you consider the features in it.
200 new features for $199
not bad and i think its a very good price.

if be happy to pay 500 for each revision of OS X if i had too

grorr76
26th April 2005, 01:08 PM
haha very true, guess only time will tell the realtys from the hype fingers crossed, by the way i get it for 129 being at uni :D

Insanely
26th April 2005, 01:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, please: Again, Tiger is a solid release. It's just not a major upgrade that's worth the $129 price tag. Surely if Apple can violate its "every other release is free" policy, it could charge $50 or less for Tiger.

Win95 = 4.0
Win98 = 4.1
Win2K = 5.0
WinXP = 5.1

I believe Mac OS X is cheaper.

downsys
26th April 2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 26 2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah, it's a life savings :P
no personal threat to hawker or whoever, but some people don't have that much money (i.e : me). so i feel people shouldn't make these kind of jokes. i don't wanna offend anyone by saying this either.

hawker
26th April 2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by downsys@Apr 26 2005, 01:16 PM
no personal threat to hawker or whoever, but some people don't have that much money (i.e : me). so i feel people shouldn't make these kind of jokes. i don't wanna offend anyone by saying this either.
I think I have less money than you. The total sum of my bank balance is $140...

For what you get, its an awesome price. They could charge $500 if they wanted, people would pay it... Like iSlayer stated.

markh
26th April 2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by downsys@Apr 26 2005, 02:16 PM
No offence, sounds like a typical linux user... wants verything for nothing

Anyways, back on topic... This review was out about 2 weeks ago.. news must be slow here ;-)

Adz
26th April 2005, 01:32 PM
Seems like a fair review to me...

grorr76
26th April 2005, 01:35 PM
still no answer to what I said, what in fact will it do for me a net user video editor etc etc what difference will i notice. the new features are lovely but still dunno what if any difference to how i work itll do

downsys
26th April 2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by markh@Apr 26 2005, 01:26 PM
No offence, sounds like a typical linux user... wants verything for nothing

Anyways, back on topic... This review was out about 2 weeks ago.. news must be slow here ;-)
haha...adding salt to the injury...no i'm not a linux user...i don't think that it's relatively expensive, but if i were to spend on something, i'd want it to be worth the money, to me at least.

btw, i think it's a fair review.

gmask1
26th April 2005, 01:39 PM
IMveryHO, it's an excellent review that comes right from the heart of Windows territory. I sincerely doubt that there will be similar reviews coming from equally 'one-eyed' Apple enthuiasts when Longhorn hits the shelf.

Disko
26th April 2005, 01:41 PM
Tiger is a hell of a lot faster than panther. Hopefully soon, there'll be benchmarks up on this site to show you grorr76.

iSlayer
26th April 2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by gmask1@Apr 26 2005, 02:39 PM
I sincerely doubt that there will be similar reviews coming from equally 'one-eyed' Apple enthuiasts when Longhorn hits the shelf.
I tried to write a windows review once.
but everytime a wrote "windows Sucks" notepad crashed.
i tried a bit of reverse phsycology and wrote "I love windows" and the whole system crashed

grorr76
26th April 2005, 01:51 PM
cheers disco look foward to that ;)

downsys
26th April 2005, 01:58 PM
this guy doesn't know that Expose can be used with Hot Corners or what? why does he keep saying that it's meant for power users? i think most people use it everyday for normal purposes as do i.

a quick question about Dashboard though, so the widgets don't stay on the desktop? u have to press a hotkey (or corner) to make it visible?

Disko
26th April 2005, 02:02 PM
you can drag widgets to the desktop from dashboard.

thomas
26th April 2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Apr 26 2005, 12:48 PM
edit: This cracked me up - he referes to the core technologies as 'low-level'
"though developers will be interested in some of the low-level work Apple has done with Core Image, Core Audio, and other technologies"
I don't think he's saying that those technologies are low-level in terms of their use or concept, or that they are in some way inferior or 'not very good'. He's using low-level in terms of development (he mentions developers), in that 'low-level' technologies can be used in such a way to make the most use of a user's hardware.

Low level programming usually involves communicating directly with the hardware, as opposed to through the OS (cocoa, for example, is not low level coding). Typically, assembly type languages are conisdered 'low level'.

The way Core Image/Audio/Video work is by directly accessing the hardware in such a way that users of the OS can access them - but the way they work internally would be considered low level.

Just thought i'd clear that up :unsure:

downsys
26th April 2005, 02:21 PM
hah...thomas beat me to it...from my understanding, the reviewer means to say 'less work for developers'.

thomas
26th April 2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by downsys@Apr 26 2005, 02:21 PM
hah...thomas beat me to it...from my understanding, the reviewer means to say 'less work for developers'.
Yeah, much less work. Instead of having to go low level to do all of that stuff, Apple have provided a sort of direct access to the hardware via the Core Image/Video/Audio technologies.

Squozen
26th April 2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Apr 26 2005, 02:02 PM
you can drag widgets to the desktop from dashboard.
Buggered if I can see how.

Phillip
26th April 2005, 03:08 PM
I thought it was a pretty good review... until he compares Tiger to Windows X{ Service Pack 2. That's where he's all wrong. Overall thou, you must accept he's a Windows guy, and its evident of this throughout the review, but remember, he did give it 4 stars. Or Windows ironically. And with the $129 issue, I think a lot of people aren't gonna be benefitting from it. In fact Panther is fine. But for the Mac users who will use stuff like Spotlight, Dashboard and Automator, its a nice solid upgrade.

WonderBoy
26th April 2005, 03:36 PM
One thing he was correct on was the user interface comment. Apple have pinstripe, brushed metal, plastic, wood-grain and pro user interfaces. All with different elements (some being more radically different than others).

For more info on this gripe, see:

http://daringfireball.net/2004/10/themes

OziMac
26th April 2005, 03:38 PM
It's Paul Thurott, serial Mac-troll. No surprises there.

hawker
26th April 2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by grorr76@Apr 26 2005, 01:35 PM
still no answer to what I said, what in fact will it do for me a net user video editor etc etc what difference will i notice. the new features are lovely but still dunno what if any difference to how i work itll do
Should speed up a bit.

Apart from that, wait to see some benchmarks if you are not fully sold on the idea.

WonderBoy
26th April 2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Apr 26 2005, 03:38 PM
It's Paul Thurott, serial Mac-troll. No surprises there.
He calls himself a Mac fan. But his rating system is how many "Windows" out of 5. Amusing.

Mark T
26th April 2005, 04:42 PM
I thought it a fair review.

Have a couple of comments, though:

1. - Have journalists been able to get a pre-release version for review purposes? If not, then isn't someone violating a NDA?

2. - I can't help but laugh at his comment:

"In my opinion, the coolness factor of Apple's iPod and Mac hardware is far more compelling than Mac OS X itself."

Now, I'm a great lover of Apple hardware since my first Apple, a LCIII, but I have to say that I believe that it is OS X that makes the current line-up of macs such a compelling alternative to mainstream computing.

marc
26th April 2005, 05:01 PM
Agreed.

If I had to choose between PC hardware with OS X, and Mac hardware with Windows XP, I'd choose OS X every time.

icant
26th April 2005, 05:32 PM
Paul Thurott wants to send out an “I like Macs, but they really aren’t that good” message, and tailors each review to match that remark. He says he does it to balance out the hype that emanate from Steve Jobs+crew. I think it’s mostly to cater to Windows folk, and to rile up Macintosh users. More hits for his website. John Dvorak does the same.

The above “review” is remarkably skimpy on details. I think he got his content from publicly available stuff already available on the Internet. If you wanted to show Tiger in a negative light, you would just have to write things like these (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=253164) instead. These are posts from people who have actually used Tiger.

kim jong il
26th April 2005, 06:59 PM
I loved this part from Thurott
Mac OS X 10.0 also included a few flops, which continue in the product to this day, including the reviled Dock, which is used to switch between running applications and, confusingly, non-running applications.
Switching between NON-RUNNING applications?? How useful :lol:

Is it just me and the people I know? I love (and use) the Dock and it often impresses PC users I know when they first encounter it. (this is not a rhetorical question BTW)

cheers, kim

EDIT: This bit was interesting though:
Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" does not include Apple's vaunted iLife '05 applications--iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, iTunes Is this right? Because surely these applications are part of the standard 10.3.x install and it seems strange that Apple would separate them at this stage i.e remove features, sell the OS for a tiny bit less and market the removed features as a separate package. Could someone enlighten me? I could have read about this elsewhere but I really have not followed the whole 'Tiger' thing.

964RSCS
26th April 2005, 07:17 PM
Personally, I'm going to wait for a few AppleTalk'ers to do a review :D

At least we will then be able to ask questions of each other without the sales hype coming through! I'm just not calling judgement on Tiger yet until I get the chance to have a play with it and ask more questions specific to my needs...

cmetom
26th April 2005, 08:50 PM
he says:

Um, right. Since PCs and Macs have had tiny utility applications since the early 1980's, it's unclear why Dashboard widgets can't simply work on the normal Mac desktop (which is how Konfabulator works, incidentally). Having to move into and out of the Dashboard to perform these tasks seems a bit unnecessary. Why segregate them like that?

now call it anal / obsessive compulsive / etc...

but i think it seems a bit silly to have 'dinky little' utilities like stickies, the calculator, etc, taking up space on my dock while open... sharing that dock space with a meaty program like Final Cut Pro or a web browser with 17 tabs open.

that's why to me, the dashboard makes sense - it's there to switch straight over to a smorgasboard of little utilities. why do i have to load XE.com/ucc in a new tab in Firefox just to do a currency value check?

yeah. so dashboard i will like.

Arkhum_Eramak
26th April 2005, 09:31 PM
Too right cmetom, I'm really looking forward to Dashboard. I used Konfabulator and just got irritated that the widgets were all over my desktop instead of somewhere out of sight...and I totally use the hot corners for Expose, this guy seems to be a total dweeb...

He reminds me of this Guy who was the 'Administrator in Training' or something at the College I went to last year. Apparently he got fired. But anyway, he was all like 'yeah, I'm a Mac guy' but whenever the Video Teacher asked him anything, he'd look blankly and act sort of as if he kinda knew, and he'd say he'd look at it later. When he was gone, I'd tell the teacher I'd fix it....and I'd fix it. He totally looked at the G5 PowerMac with a look of awe and had no idea when navigating the Mac OS, it was really quite sad. He'd just click around. So the Mac guy just...wanted to be a Mac guy, and wasn't really. Poor fool, I think he's working at the Apple Center now...anyway, the subject! Ahh!

I'm totally looking forward to the update, and I'll (gulp) early adopt. No fear! I can do this! Although my more sensitive stuff will be keeping its distance for a while. I havn't heard any real horror stories yet like the 10.3 External HDD thing...that was pretty scary...and I like the Dock too, it sucks at the bottom of the screen I think personally, and seems to work most practically at the left, but that's my preference.

I think I've totally forgotten a point I was gonna make earlier....oh well, thats me for you. I'd look it up in Spotlight but I don't have it yet!! :(

Phillip
26th April 2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Apr 26 2005, 06:59 PM
EDIT: This bit was interesting though: Is this right? Because surely these applications are part of the standard 10.3.x install and it seems strange that Apple would separate them at this stage i.e remove features, sell the OS for a tiny bit less and market the removed features as a separate package. Could someone enlighten me? I could have read about this elsewhere but I really have not followed the whole 'Tiger' thing.
Yes, Tiger does not include the new iPhoto, or iMovie. iDVD and GarageBand also won't be bundled, but they never were. However, Tiger does have iPhoto 2, and iMovie 3, both of which were free downloads anyway, before Apple introduced the new iLife suite. Of course, it will include iTunes 4.7.1.

foonster
26th April 2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by grorr76@Apr 26 2005, 01:02 PM
It is if 10.4 aint much different to 10.3.9.. (Playing devils advocate here) :P
Oh my, how quickly we forget!

I'm sure there were devil's advocates who said the same thing when Panther was released on 24 October 2003, (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/08panther.html) but look how well it has matured into 10.3.9! And it only had 150 new features when released! :lol:

My point is, upgrading to Tiger isn't just about the 200 new features advertised - it's also about the stuff that comes with 10.4.9, and probably lots of it before Longhorn!

Optogamut
26th April 2005, 11:47 PM
I'll just chuck this in here. It's from an article on SMH:
Tiger's roar stampeding Microsoft's Longhorn (http://smh.com.au/articles/2005/04/25/1114281483571.html)

the bit that caught my eye was this little claim:

...even the Finder, which is Apple's answer to Windows Explorer.

:huh:

downsys
27th April 2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@Apr 26 2005, 09:31 PM
Too right cmetom, I'm really looking forward to Dashboard. I used Konfabulator and just got irritated that the widgets were all over my desktop instead of somewhere out of sight...and I totally use the hot corners for Expose, this guy seems to be a total dweeb...
just thought i'd say that Konfab allows you to set those widgets as 'Konpose Only' so that it won't clutter your desktop. Only when u press F8 will they appear. but as someone mentioned here, Konfab takes way too much RAM as compared to Dashboard. But for the time being, I'm keeping it as it is as there isn't one (yet) for Dash which shows muslim prayer times and local tv guide.

Currawong
27th April 2005, 08:17 AM
Reviews like this show that the reviewer doesn't realise that the focus of the improvements is primarily pro users. Unless you've used Motion, the point of Core Image isn't readily apparent. Apple has cleverly used ideas derived from 3D games for producing video effects - who'd have thought!

Comparing it to Windows is moot - the latest Longhorn screenshots look like a themed WinXP. There's nothing to show in that OS - all the hyped features can't be found in the betas.