PDA

View Full Version : Sick of the Wallabies being crap...

oneplusone
31st August 2008, 12:06 AM
As the title says, i'm sick of the 'Qantas Wallabies' sucking ass.

Every time they are tested, they fall about like a bunch of drunk school girls. I'v always been a huge supporter of Australian rugby, having been to many matches locally, interstate, and overseas, but am beginning to question whether I even really care about this sport anymore.

It wouldn't bother me if we lost every game, but looked like they put in a decent amount of effort every time, but they don't even seem like they care.

Given how much these players are paid, I would like to think that they are willing to work hard for the money, but maybe i'm just dead wrong on this matter.

I'm also sick of the ARU getting in Rugby League players instead of supporting actual rugby players, and encouraging them to keep playing. I know that players like Lote Tuqiri are good, but when you weigh his performances against this of players like Matt Rogers, 'Dell, and Andrew Walker, i'd be very reluctant to sign up any more of them (and Timana Tahu hasn't been all that good tonight).

I just think that i'm not really going to watch any more Rugby until the team starts to pull their collective fingers out and do their jobs well.

</rant>

sigh....

Wally
31st August 2008, 12:44 AM
AFL FTW.. Rugby FTL.

Joe91
31st August 2008, 12:49 AM
Yes tonight sucked, but I think we're on the rise. Robbie Deans is only good news to us, give it time and I think we'll get better results. Beating the Bok's in Durban last week was a great achievement and shows that we are heading forward.

And remember with Lote Tuquri, he played rugby union as a school boy so he knew the game before he went over to the 'Tahs. But I do agree with the other examples you gave, leave them in rugby league because they so desperately need them these days.

Kuma
31st August 2008, 12:56 AM
yep that afl really has some big international appeal.

back on topic

I'm glad I didnt go down the pub to watch that game then.

One of the things I miss is watching the S14 and all the Rugby that goes on.. the coverage here is crap!

But then again.. my teams have been performing generally worse than the coverage.
As for the mungo players coming across... well 2 of the 3 you mentioned both have had exceptional rugby experience. I would say the 'Dell experiment was the real failure

Rogers played Aust. schoolboys and Walker was a champion for the Brumbies (back in their golden period).

However I would generally agree.. I would like to see more focus on developing young talent and keeping them in game. (But it is always good to stick the knife in league.. they did it long enough to rugby).

oneplusone
31st August 2008, 01:16 AM
And that score line really capped it off 53-8??? WTF??!?!?!?!

That's the last wallabies game I watch for a long time, I think....

I think that games like tonight show that Robbie Deans, or no, the Wobblies just cant string together more than a couple of wins before reverting to their old ways. I think it's time for a wholesale change in the way Rugby is managed in this country.
Oh yeah, AFl is good, but without international competition, it's just not big enough. And league isn't a whole lot better.

Looks like Soccer it is.... oh wait.

Do we do anything well in winter?

Mecha
31st August 2008, 03:15 AM
yep that afl really has some big international appeal.

By the sounds of it so does the Rugby...

Galumay
31st August 2008, 04:29 AM
i think you are missing the point, Oneplusone, you seem to forget that the wallabies are undergoing a rebuilding process with the goal of an improved performance at the next WC, deans is the best thing ever to happen to oz rugby and the sheep botherers are absolutely spewing that that they called his bluff.

the game against SA was a dead game, the tri-nations will be decided in brisbane v the all blacks, and deans obviously rotated players with this in mind.

another thing to keep in mind is that there is very little between the 3 teams this year, but under the ELV's a slight advantage can turn into a lot of points and we have seen that many times in the last 12 months.

i dont know how well you know the game, but as a player i can tell you it is so much a momentum game, if the forwards are getting across the advantage line and the back line is working well tries seem to flow and the confidence just builds and you become very hard to contain.

conversely if you cant get forward momentum then the pressure falls onto the backs and errors accumulate and you turnover ball at the breakdown and its easy to bleed points fast.

the ELV's certainly contribute to this momentum factor and we have seen many games recently wher the side with the momentum goes on to win strongly.

personally i see rugby in australia in the best shape it has been in decades, the recent comp with the Australia A side and the pacific nations and maori side in the PNC showed how much talent we have coming up thru the ranks, as did our recent results at the U21 world cup.

the waratahs were also the form side after the mighty crusaders in the S14 and there is mush to take heart from in oz rugby.

i do agree that the obsession under the previous admin of chasing diet rugby players was a mistake, most diet rugby players cant make the transition and get exposed quickly at this level, wendall sailor was a class player in diet rugby - he was a dud in the real game, rogers was already past it and didnt have the raw ability, lote was the pick of them - and hence he is still in the team. it still took him about 3 seasons to really start to perform though.

i think ryan cross will be another successful convert, it will be interesting to see how he develops thru the next S14 season.

mackie
31st August 2008, 07:55 AM
So we lose 2 games and suddenly we are shit-house.
This is the best Wallabies outfit we have seen in 4 years, granted we have a problem at the moment backing up after a big test match.

But put it in perspective before you verbally destroy them, they have just played back to back test matches in South Africa, first week smashing them, then second week with 2 key players out and an intterupted preperation (had to train with 2 forward packs this week) we got smashed.

Thats Rugby, give the team a break... the first ten minutes of the match if we sored like we should have ( dropped ball by lote) it would be a different story, Galumy is right it is such a momentum game...

Just a point Ryan Cross was also a Aus U21 rugby schoolboy captin, before going to the roosters

detail
31st August 2008, 08:12 AM
Ellis Park is just about the toughest venue in any major sport and gives the local players an enormous advantage.

Reason: Johannesburg is about 1750m above sea level, high enough for the altitude to affect the flight of the ball and give O2 problems for players unaccustomed to playing at altitude. They kick the ball 70 or more metres.

On the other hand Australia also played crap.

Brisbane will be the decider for the series and both teams will have plenty to prove.

bennettnz
31st August 2008, 09:38 AM
From an All Black supporters viewpoint I grudgingly have to say I think the Wallabies are a bloody good side and normally hard to beat. Every team will have an off game - (we do it every four years at the worst possible time with the assistance of the ref or food poisoning).

Although I enjoyed reading today that they got smashed I still think it will be a huge game in Brisbane in two weeks - hopefully action packed with two rebuilding sides wanting to run the ball. This new look Wallaby side is really good for Rugby in this country and it's great that they have had some decent and valuable victories this year.

Don't despair aussies!

doofus
31st August 2008, 09:39 AM
I went to bed after 10 minutes into the second half.
Ellis park is a tough place for visiting teams to play well at, don't write the Wallabies off yet they will come good.
I think it is good to see Tri - Nations rugby series where all the teams have beaten the opposition at least once.
Looking forward to the Brisbane test like you wouldn't believe!

stewiesno1
1st September 2008, 10:13 AM
^^ nods to all the good posts above and add that any team that gets a new coach and then starts a rebuilding phase will take a year and sometimes longer to get things right.
Backline moves have to be rehearsed ad infinitum and then throw into the mix doing these same moves with a bunch of gorillas bearing down on you.
Timana Tahu will only get better as he gets used to defensive patterns etc and I think he will prove to be one of the better backs to have come along for a while.
Once the players get used to playing with each other under a new coach for a few more tests and I think you will start to see a very capable team.
I only wish we had a few bigger forwards even though the scrum seems to be going OK , not great but at least holding its own on most occasions.
Oh yeah , looking forward to Brisbane too.

Stewie

cosmichobo
1st September 2008, 10:15 AM
As the title says, i'm sick of the 'Qantas Wallabies' sucking ass.

Then pick a team that wins... :D

oneplusone
1st September 2008, 11:23 PM
I'm still going to tune in and watch, it's just so bloody frustrating to see the team perform so inconsistently.

For them to beat the All blacks, then get smashed, beat the 'Boks, then get destroyed, it just drives me mad.
I know that Robbie Deans is the best thing to happen to Aussie Rugby since - well - I can't remember, it's not him, it's the players not living up their reputations and HUGE pay packets.

I know that I don't know what it's like out there for them, but I deal with fairly large amounts of pressure in my career, and if I performed so erratically i'd be in quite a bit of trouble.

i guess that this is the best we have, so I just have to live with it. I just hope for God's sake that they sack Matt Dunning once and for all..... that useless pie-eater has never done anything good.

Galumay
1st September 2008, 11:55 PM
I'm still going to tune in and watch, it's just so bloody frustrating to see the team perform so inconsistently.

For them to beat the All blacks, then get smashed, beat the 'Boks, then get destroyed, it just drives me mad.
I know that Robbie Deans is the best thing to happen to Aussie Rugby since - well - I can't remember, it's not him, it's the players not living up their reputations and HUGE pay packets.

i really dont think you understand the game at all, consistency is not just about winning every time, read what i and others wrote about momentum and the ELV's. the players are performing consistently, the difference between their loss to SA and their win over the AB's was probably about 5%.

i think the players do live up to their reps and earn their pay, they are ranked one of the best sides in the world and thats how they play.

I know that I don't know what it's like out there for them, but I deal with fairly large amounts of pressure in my career, and if I performed so erratically i'd be in quite a bit of trouble.

if you perform at a level which makes you amongst the best in the world even on your off days, i am impressed.

i guess that this is the best we have, so I just have to live with it. I just hope for God's sake that they sack Matt Dunning once and for all..... that useless pie-eater has never done anything good.

again, your ignorance of the game is showing, dunning has improved greatly over the last 12 months, he was one of the form front rowers in the S14. his move over to tight head has seen him establish his place as a top line prop.

Shaxbon
2nd September 2008, 11:39 AM
again, your ignorance of the game is showing, dunning has improved greatly over the last 12 months, he was one of the form front rowers in the S14. his move over to tight head has seen him establish his place as a top line prop.

While he's form might have improved he's still miles behind other props. In South Africa he really got shown how to scrummage, he was consistenly being popped by the other prop and was just out classed.

Australia is extremely weak in the prop department, if we had a Carl Hayman we'd have an amazing scrum.

I'm not too concerned over the loss, Deans moved alot of people in there to see what they were like. But it looks like Polato Nau, Tahu and Waugh wont be getting a run on any time soon as they all had pretty shocking games.

What annoys me, is how Palu seems to go walk about in games. One game he'll be in devestating form, then the next he does bugger all. I wish the selectors would look to players such as Hoiles or Brown!