PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Unlocked iPhone for Free??

kantush
30th August 2008, 03:04 PM
Apparently a Telstra iPhone user bought an iPhone outright and unlocked it for Free from Telstra..

Details here (http://www.iphonewiki.com.au/). Is it true? Has anyone else done the same?

Huy
30th August 2008, 03:08 PM
You seem to like linking to that site... half of your posts (ever) link to that site. :confused:

It doesn't load for me.

kantush
30th August 2008, 03:17 PM
News there are interesting most of the time. Anyway, it would be good to find the validity of the news. Might open a big hole in the telco systems.

WhiteiPhone
30th August 2008, 04:27 PM
if you buy a prepaid iphone with any provider and find a fault with it take to a "apple" APPLE STORE and they will give you a refurb that is unlocked.
(not tested but ive been told by a few people it works)

Huy
30th August 2008, 04:49 PM
Nice tip, WhiteiPhone. I will be doing that if I ever need a repair. :)

Vodafone outright here. 8GB 3G.

deco20
30th August 2008, 05:03 PM
I paid for the $150 unlocking fee, and just got them to credit my account with $150 as I argued that they can't charge an unlocking fee on a outright purchase.

mitty
30th August 2008, 05:24 PM
That story originate on itwire about a month ago. Basically the gist of it was that people who bought the iphone on launch day weren't being told the phone was locked or how much the fee would be. Anyone who buys one now has to actually sign a bit of paper saying they agree to pay the fee if they want it unlocked, even though the phone is still called "outright".

Sadly if you buy the phone from T you have to pay the $150. If you don't want to, buy it somewhere else, Optus and Virgin $80, Vodafone $75.

icephone
2nd September 2008, 10:26 AM
yep i got my unlocking fee waved as well woo hoo !!