PDA

View Full Version : wifi instead of 3G or GPRS

luotuohua
30th August 2008, 11:15 AM
Hi , I've got a wireless network setup at home. Problem is while my phone detects it, it does not go onto the wireless network, defaulting instead to either 3G (if I have it switched on) or onto GPRS. Is there a way around this problem? I'd really like it to default to a wireless network.

Wireless network at home is not secured.
iBook detects it with full bars.

iPhone detection often limited to 1 or 2 bars, and defaulting to 3G or GPRS shortly after.

Help?

Huy
30th August 2008, 11:25 AM
It already does default to WiFi if available, over 3G or GPRS.

It goes:
WiFi
3G
GPRS
Nothing.

Secure your home WiFi network.

luotuohua
30th August 2008, 11:45 AM
so it defaults to wireless even though the 3G or GPRS logo is shown?

wireless network is secured. I merely disabled security for the purpose of this exercise.

--------edit-----------

OK. So here's what happens.

WiFi and 3G on. Home network detected. 3G logo is shown in top left hand corner. I assume I am on 3G and not wireless.

WiFi on. 3G off. In the two or three second after I turn off 3G, the wireless logo is shown in top left hand corner, and then the GPRS logo comes on. I assume I am on GPRS and not wireless.

WiFi off. 3G on 3G logo is shown in top left hand corner. I assume I am on 3G

WiFi off. 3G off GPRS logo comes on. I assume I am on GPRS

Huy
30th August 2008, 11:50 AM
If there is a wireless in range and you can connect to it, it will use it.

Have you turned on WiFi on the iPhone?

luotuohua
30th August 2008, 11:57 AM
yes, WiFi is turned on.

and yes, I know I am within range cos iBook full bars and all other relevant paraphernalia is right next to me.

theov
30th August 2008, 11:59 AM
I find that when I unlock my iPhone it takes approx 10 seconds until it connects to the WiFi and the symbol is shown.

If you have both WiFi and 3G on and then unlock your phone and touch nothing for around 10 seconds, does the 3G logo turn into the wifi logo??

theov

luotuohua
30th August 2008, 12:06 PM
No it doesn't. No wireless logo turns up.

the gprs logo turns into 3G though. which is expected.

Huy
30th August 2008, 12:20 PM
Sounds to me like your iPhone just doesn't like WiFi.

Try:

Reset Network Settings. Inside Settings.
Turn Airplane mode ON. Then OFF.
Restarting the iPhone (OFF, then ON)
Restarting the WiFi router (ditto)

luotuohua
30th August 2008, 01:08 PM
tried all of the aboce...the only time it detects wireless is if ariplane mode is on....but then i can't go online cos of airplane mode :(

Erwin
30th August 2008, 01:08 PM
Check the following:

1. DHCP server is switched on.
2. IP address and DNS on iPhone is correct.
3. MAC address filtering is not on, but if on, is allowing your iPhone MAC address.
4. You are entering the correct WPA password.

The wifi icon should show if you are connected to the wifi network.

Huy
30th August 2008, 01:09 PM
Maybe it's your WiFi router then.
Try another WiFi router/neighbour's or use a Mac with AirPort/WiFi to set up an ad hoc one and see if it still connects.

Update your firmware to 2.0.2 if you haven't already.

matthew858
30th August 2008, 01:15 PM
Go into airplane mode, then in the settings tab tap wifi. Turn wifi on while still in airplane mode (yes you can do it) and see if that works.

luotuohua
30th August 2008, 01:23 PM
Erwin - will check when I go home.

Huy - can't be router cos I have the same problem at work. other iphones at work seem to detect OK. firmware is 2.0.2

Matthew - yes that's the only way wireless detects at the moment. I can't get online, but at least I can use Remote from the lounge. haha

Huy
30th August 2008, 01:50 PM
Maybe you've just got a dud iPhone if it's not the WiFi routers. :p

Or maybe some sort of interference.

And if it's your home WiFi network then you should know about any security policies and settings e.g. MAC address filtering or IP allocation methods. Also, maybe your work requires VPN which could explain the work router not letting you in without authenticating first.

luotuohua
30th August 2008, 06:59 PM
Everything matches up (i.e. IP addess DNS etc.

re: dud iPhone. NOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!

that inability to connect to wireless is annoying. :thumbdn:

luotuohua
30th August 2008, 07:42 PM
yipes

iPhone users hit with huge bills for ... home WiF

iPhone users hit with huge bills for ... home WiFi (http://apcmag.com/iphone_3g_problems_just_wont_die.htm)

Aladdin
30th August 2008, 10:19 PM
I presume you've got a b/g wifi network (coz it works on your iBook).

Have you ever tapped cancel on your iPhone when your wi-fi network name popped up on iPhone screen?

Have you tried accessing other (previously not accessed) 'free' wi-fi hotspots on your iPhone? You might need to take your iPhone for a walk around the block.

Tried restoring iPhone?

Run out of other ideas at the moment.

Erwin
30th August 2008, 11:27 PM
Try another wifi network - go to your friend's house for example to test - if it works on another network, then it's something in your own setup.

Huy
30th August 2008, 11:41 PM
He has tried at his work and has the same problems.

luotuohua
31st August 2008, 12:03 AM
She, not he :)

Strange thing is it used to work. I don't really remember when it stopped working.

Anyway, if I switch to airplane mode, turn wifi on, turn 3g off, then turn airplane mode off, i get wifi. it lapses back into gprs occasionally, so i just repeat the above. annoying! but working. just a bit.

Huy
31st August 2008, 12:10 AM
Whoops, my bad! :o

Erwin
31st August 2008, 09:09 AM
My recommendation - completely restore the iPhone - and try then. If it still doesn't work, then it's faulty.

luotuohua
2nd September 2008, 08:03 AM
what do i lose if i restore? would i need to reinstall firmware, reload mail etc?

i am guessing yes?

ciprol
3rd September 2008, 10:15 AM
Sure that there's no security block by the router? MAC address checking? WPA security? iPhone defaults to WiFi whenever possible. I strongly suspect there's a setting problem.

mishylane
3rd September 2008, 10:18 AM
I take it you have been able to manually go in and select your wifi network? Once its all set up and connected initially it should take the WiFi network over 3G and GPRS by default.

luotuohua
3rd September 2008, 10:16 PM
I am sure there is no security block or anything.

I get onto wireles fine in airplane mode. ...any guesses?

luotuohua
4th September 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone - just thought I would folllow up.

Popped the sim ... Restarted... Wifi working now :)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone