PDA

View Full Version : 2G iPhone, v2 FW and freeze/reboot issues

kyte
30th August 2008, 09:36 AM
I've got a 2G iPhone and I've upgraded it to v2 firmware (not, so far, to 2.0.2)

I have been having issues which involve frequent freezing of the phone, failure to recognise that an app doesnt exist any more (app store) and I have to reboot the phone 2-3 times a day, just during the course of using it.

I guess I continue to battle on with it because I have bought a number of apps from the app store and don't want to lose those by downgrading to 1.1.4 BUT the frustrations of it all are starting to really get to me, to the point where a downgrade is beginning to seem very attractive (or, god forbid if i cannot successfully downgrade, a regular mobile phone!!)

I guess what I would like to hear is this:
1) How difficult is the downgrade process? I've look at the modmyifone instructions and am intimidated.
2) Would an upgrade to 2.0.2 fix my issues? (yes I know that I would lose my jailbreak etc)

sighhhh

NathR32
30th August 2008, 09:45 AM
I'd upgrade to 2.0.2 and then jailbreak again.

matthew858
30th August 2008, 09:48 AM
Remember the apps you have paid for and downloaded (from the app store) will always be there. ie. if you do downgrade to 1.1.4 but then want to go back (or forward) to 2.0, you won't have to purchase the apps again.

kyte
30th August 2008, 10:01 AM
I'd upgrade to 2.0.2 and then jailbreak again.

Silly me... I didnt think there was a pwnage tool for this yet, and now I see there is, thanks to laughinbirds babysteps guide I will do it all again :)

kyte
30th August 2008, 10:02 AM
Remember the apps you have paid for and downloaded (from the app store) will always be there. ie. if you do downgrade to 1.1.4 but then want to go back (or forward) to 2.0, you won't have to purchase the apps again.

yeah I know, and if I cave in and go 3G, they will be there for that. I'm happy with the 2G iphone tho, and don't really want to spend my camera money on another phone.

Macattck
30th August 2008, 04:30 PM
PLEASE HELP....
On my Macbook Pro, 10.5.4, I did this but when the iphone (2G) rebooted all I got was the pineapple logo, it then goes to the steve cartoon. I have tried everything but I cannot restore my iphone. I open itunes and it say's my phone is in recovery mode. I have tried again and again. I get an error code from itunes (1604) & (20). I have tried going back to itunes 7.5 and reinstalling 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.1.4. I have tried ziphone and the rest, but nothing. With ziphone I get USBMuxListenerCreate: Permission denied. I have tried using a friend pc doing all of the above.

kyte
30th August 2008, 05:23 PM
PLEASE HELP....
On my Macbook Pro, 10.5.4, I did this but when the iphone (2G) rebooted all I got was the pineapple logo, it then goes to the steve cartoon. I have tried everything but I cannot restore my iphone. I open itunes and it say's my phone is in recovery mode. I have tried again and again. I get an error code from itunes (1604) & (20). I have tried going back to itunes 7.5 and reinstalling 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.1.4. I have tried ziphone and the rest, but nothing. With ziphone I get USBMuxListenerCreate: Permission denied. I have tried using a friend pc doing all of the above.

Downgrading is both complex and dodgy, and not for a newbie (and I have been jailbreaking my phone for a year now, and still consider myself to be a n00b as far as it all goes)

Can you put the phone into DFU mode? Thats something you are going to need to do, to restore the fone to firmware 2.0.2 glory.

Have you tried just updating the phone, without a jailbreak? Its worth trying that before panicking. (worked for me, i did the jailbreak a bit later)

Did you follow laughingbird's babysteps guide *to the letter* or did you take a shortcut? If so, what did you not do? This info is necessary for someone to help out, because I am probably going to get lost soon.

And stay away from ziphone. damn I hope you didnt use ziphone 3.

Macattck
30th August 2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks Kyte, I have tried laughingbird's babysteps guide to the letter. The iphone will not go into Device Firmware Update mode and it will not software update, I tried to do it the official way but I still get the error message. Thanks for the ziphone tip.

kyte
30th August 2008, 10:20 PM
I wish I could help, really... I havent been game to try downloading itunes 7.5 and downgrading but I think I am probably going to do it. After upgrading the 2.0.2, I find I am still having freeze/reboot issues, and some of the appstore apps are just refusing to be recognised or installed properly. I suspect that some may well have been designed for the 3G version of the phone (not deliberately... but.. I'm guessing as time wears on, this will happen more).

So.. Onward she cried! tomorrow I am going to do battle with downgrading to 1.1.4, and to let my phone stay happily right there instead of trying to keep up. Its just too much of a hassle. To have gone from a stable phone to one that insists on cracking up every time I want to do something more than send an SMS. I'm well over it.

Might even start the process tonight.

[edit] complete and total failure. going back to 2.0.2. sighhh. ignoring app store for a while.