PDA

View Full Version : iPhone and iMac WiFi? Help?

Laragenics
29th August 2008, 06:06 PM
Hello again,

I am still quite new to the mac world I have recently switched from Windows and now have a new Intel iMac...

Okay so here's the question... How do I get my new iPhone and the iMac to connect wirelessly? This may seem so stupid but I haven't had much time to explore my mac yet. Believe me I am more than ready for this as I'm used to sitting down for hours on end trying to get something simple like a usb drive to work on my old pc (no it wasnt me it was the pc i am very computer literate and know what I am doing on a pc)... but not a mac... yet

Huy
29th August 2008, 06:07 PM
Turn on AirPort/WiFi.
Select Network.
Connect?

On my iMac (AirPort > Turn AirPort ON):

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3883/bahib3.png

On my iPhone (Settings > WiFi > ON):

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8350/photoec6.jpg

If you mean iPhone <--> iMac wireless tethering then forget it.

Laragenics
29th August 2008, 06:15 PM
I have no networks to connect to

Huy
29th August 2008, 06:17 PM
Get yourself a wireless router/access point? (although if it was your own WLAN (wireless LAN) you'd know if it was using hidden SSID (network name) or not). In which case you'd hit Other... and punch in the details.

battye
29th August 2008, 06:20 PM
I managed to get this working thanks to those who helped me in this thread: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/55022-iphone-wi-fi.html

I remember I had to enable Internet Sharing in the settings, or else it wouldn't work. :)

Laragenics
29th August 2008, 06:27 PM
But then whats the point of the wifi/airport? shouldnt the iphone and imac just connect?

battye
29th August 2008, 06:29 PM
shouldnt the iphone and imac just connect?

They do. :)

Laragenics
29th August 2008, 06:30 PM
ah ok... I will have a look shortly and try to figure it out thanks guys.

Huy
29th August 2008, 06:35 PM
But then whats the point of the wifi/airport? shouldnt the iphone and imac just connect?
What's the point?

So you can turn off WiFi/AirPort when you are not using it.

Why would you waste battery if you don't have to? Same reason Bluetooth is not always searching for new devices/ON.

The iPhone/iMac will not simply 'just connect' because WiFi networks (usually!) are locked down and require authentication, passphrases, keys, etc. You will still need to select the network you wish to connect to (unless you say otherwise, look at my image above [Ask to join Networks]). This is the same on PCs.

Rant
29th August 2008, 06:38 PM
I can't recommend D-Link. Mine craps out every time someone uses the cordless phone. I'm surviving on it for the iPhone, but it's unreliable.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless router?

Huy
29th August 2008, 06:41 PM
Netgear?
Billion?
Apple? :)

Rant
29th August 2008, 06:50 PM
Netgear?
Billion?
Apple? :)

from personal experience?

have you had bad experiences and found these more reliable?

i realise wifi networks are inherently unreliable (even the MacBreak Tech super wifi network was replaced by wires and the customer was adamant "no wires").

Huy
29th August 2008, 07:00 PM
I have owned Netgear and Billion wireless routers. Both excellent and I recommend them. No experience with D-Links.

I have not owned an Apple but I'm sure you'll have no problems with them too.

Erwin
29th August 2008, 07:09 PM
I can't recommend D-Link. Mine craps out every time someone uses the cordless phone.

Sounds like you need a better line filter, or maybe even a central splitter. Shouldn't happen like that - a new wireless router will not fix bad line noise.

Rant
29th August 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I vowed next time, I'd just buy the Apple router. I hear even the Express is solid.

The filters are Telstra branded, which I expect to be pretty good(??)
The wired network (same router) is fine. The wifi is hideous - I start a Mail download on the iPhone with full signal and by the time I've read a few new messages, it can be one bar or switched to 3G!

I've heard filters reduce performance. Although I can't dedicate a line to the internet, I'm tempted to remove the filters to see if things improve or get worse. I can see the exchange from my house, so there shouldn't be any copper problems, but passive filters probably reduce the signal level by 3db.

Laragenics
29th August 2008, 07:48 PM
What's the point?

So you can turn off WiFi/AirPort when you are not using it.

Why would you waste battery if you don't have to? Same reason Bluetooth is not always searching for new devices/ON.

The iPhone/iMac will not simply 'just connect' because WiFi networks (usually!) are locked down and require authentication, passphrases, keys, etc. You will still need to select the network you wish to connect to (unless you say otherwise, look at my image above [Ask to join Networks]). This is the same on PCs.

you misunderstand, I mean what's the point of having the wifi/airport on the mac full stop, if it wouldn't work that way i didn't mean have it on all the time.

timothy
29th August 2008, 07:58 PM
Get an airport express. It will give you a wireless network. Great piece of kit. Airtunes is a bonus with the Airport express and they are a bargain...

Huy
29th August 2008, 08:02 PM
you misunderstand, I mean what's the point of having the wifi/airport on the mac full stop, if it wouldn't work that way i didn't mean have it on all the time.
I'm still not sure what you mean.

Are you saying, what's the point of having AirPort/WiFi on all Macs? Because some people don't like to be tethered? Practical/logistical issues? :confused:

Laragenics
29th August 2008, 08:07 PM
ok well how about the bluetooth then. I can connect it quite easily via the cord but im really just looking for wireless connectivity somehow. this may take a few days...

Huy
29th August 2008, 08:09 PM
Bluetooth is crippled on the iPhone/iPhone 3G.

If you want wireless connectivity, then your options are:

3G (not recommended, unless it is cheap for you)
GPRS/EDGE (not recommended, painfully slow)
Bridging mode (not recommended)
WiFi access point (recommended, uses your home ISP/internet)

I would suggest the last option.

timothy
29th August 2008, 08:11 PM
I think the OP was hoping the iMac would act as an airport and be the wireless network with it's own wifi sending off a connection. I am unsure if that is the question or maybe I am getting confused.

Huy
29th August 2008, 08:13 PM
I think that might be the question and it is possible but not recommended. Just get a wireless access point/router. It solves a lot of pain.

elnewb
29th August 2008, 08:26 PM
The major problem here is that the OP hasn't explained his problem/question properly. Can we get a rephrase? Objective of what you are trying to achieve?

Rant
29th August 2008, 09:15 PM
Hello again,

I am still quite new to the mac world I have recently switched from Windows and now have a new Intel iMac...

Okay so here's the question... How do I get my new iPhone and the iMac to connect wirelessly? This may seem so stupid but I haven't had much time to explore my mac yet. Believe me I am more than ready for this as I'm used to sitting down for hours on end trying to get something simple like a usb drive to work on my old pc (no it wasnt me it was the pc i am very computer literate and know what I am doing on a pc)... but not a mac... yet

OK Laragenics, Did we answer your question?
If I read it correctly, you want to 'connect the iMac and the iPhone wirelessly'.

For what purpose?
To sync the phone & computer? This is only done by the USB cable and iTunes.

To get wifi internet connection for the iPhone (to save on 3G data usage)? In Sharing pref, choose Share Internet & Airport.

Bluetooth? Not really sure what the iPhone bluetooth is for, except a mono earpiece.

There are heaps of Apps to copy files (not sync) to the iPhone (again over your local wifi network, which you apparently don't have) - Mobile Finder, File Magnet, Data Case, Files.

Has anyone tried to connect the iPhone to the Mac with just the Mac's Airport & no ethernet internet connection ???

timothy
29th August 2008, 10:18 PM
wow. I tried to get my iPhone to share my mac Internet connection and it was troublesome, so I bought an Airport Express for 85 bucks at JB and it solved my problem. I can also play music from my iPhone remote through iTunes to really big stereo with ease.

Please get the AE or the AEBS airport extreme to solve your wireless problems. Otherwise the iPhone is a plug and play iPod with phone capabilities.

If you do get a wireless network please try VNC lite, a free app that let's you control your mac over wifi. It is very cool. As I suggested earlier I just bought the AE and am impressed with the results...

Hope this helps...

Laragenics
31st August 2008, 07:02 PM
OK Laragenics, Did we answer your question?
If I read it correctly, you want to 'connect the iMac and the iPhone wirelessly'.

For what purpose?
To sync the phone & computer? This is only done by the USB cable and iTunes.

To get wifi internet connection for the iPhone (to save on 3G data usage)? In Sharing pref, choose Share Internet & Airport.

Bluetooth? Not really sure what the iPhone bluetooth is for, except a mono earpiece.

There are heaps of Apps to copy files (not sync) to the iPhone (again over your local wifi network, which you apparently don't have) - Mobile Finder, File Magnet, Data Case, Files.

Has anyone tried to connect the iPhone to the Mac with just the Mac's Airport & no ethernet internet connection ???

Hello again,

basically what i wanted was to connect the iphone and imac wirelessly to send/receive files.

2 problems

my iphone wifi cant find my imac

my iphone cant find any bluetooth devices (at all!)

so how should i go about trying to do this if it can be done that is... i am a new to this though remember. (the macs that is)

Huy
31st August 2008, 08:03 PM
The iPhone cannot send files to the iMac wirelessly (apart from having your own WiFi network and emailing to yourself). You need the cable for that.

The iPhone WiFi could not find your iMac possibly because the iMac was not running in ad-hoc WiFi base station mode (i.e. made a connection/hosted one).

And the iPhone Bluetooth is crippled and not meant for file transfers over Bluetooth.

If you have say photos on the iPhone, you need to either email them to yourself using WiFi or grab them off the iPhone using the USB cable.

Laragenics
31st August 2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks Huy... although I find this a bit backwards really. Why is this so, almost every phone made these days can do this. Is it also true that itunes australia does not offer ringtones yet? How can we "legally" get ringtones then? i know of applications to do this but isnt it against apple to do this? It's all very strange and confusing *sits in the corner*

adam89
31st August 2008, 08:48 PM
@Rant: Sounds like you should try changing the channel on your router.

decryption
31st August 2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks Huy... although I find this a bit backwards really. Why is this so, almost every phone made these days can do this. Is it also true that itunes australia does not offer ringtones yet? How can we "legally" get ringtones then? i know of applications to do this but isnt it against apple to do this? It's all very strange and confusing *sits in the corner*

You want to sync your iPhone to your Mac wirelessly I presume? Well, stiff shit - Apple says NO.

In terms of ringtones - you can use any audio file you like, just make it AAC format and under 30 sec, give it the extension .m4r and whack it into iTunes, then sync it to your phone.

Laragenics
31st August 2008, 09:01 PM
You want to sync your iPhone to your Mac wirelessly I presume? Well, stiff shit - Apple says NO.

In terms of ringtones - you can use any audio file you like, just make it AAC format and under 30 sec, give it the extension .m4r and whack it into iTunes, then sync it to your phone.

but isn't that classified as illegal or isn't it against apples terms of use or something or whatever... void the warranty?

Huy
31st August 2008, 09:39 PM
Void the warranty for putting a ringtone on? :eek:

decryption
31st August 2008, 09:41 PM
but isn't that classified as illegal or isn't it against apples terms of use or something or whatever... void the warranty?

It's illegal under copyright law (unauthorised use of someone else's work). But hardly against Apple's rules or anything.

Devil
31st August 2008, 10:59 PM
What are the rules on sampling?

Can't I sample up to thirty seconds?

Vanilla Ice Ice baby!

Rant
31st August 2008, 11:42 PM
@Rant: Sounds like you should try changing the channel on your router.

I tried EVERY channel on the router - eventually chose 10, to avoid neighbours wi-fis and best performance.

The difference was pretty marginal, but 10 seemed better... at times...

Apparently the cordless phone is notorious - says it's digital, but isn't really and just blasts the spectrum, all the time ( the handset blinks when there's a message on the answering machine - it's a monster).

- even with the base station turned off - the handset just keeps going... have to take the battery out of the handset to kill it

jasako
1st September 2008, 09:32 PM
For what purpose?
Hey! solved my problem!!!