PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Sharing Problems

fompsweeva
26th April 2005, 08:08 AM
Hey,

I'm trying to share the airport connection through my powerbook to my iMac while I'm waiting for my new airport card to come for my iMac.

I've got it all setup, but all I can access on the iMac is the web only (in both safari and firefox) Adium (MSN) and Mail time out.

I've checked firewall settings for anything obvious. Does anyone know what's going on?

Cheers
-Mike

fompsweeva
27th April 2005, 10:31 AM
Anyone?

iSlayer
27th April 2005, 10:33 AM
its not normal.there is no obvious things for you to check.it should work....

hawker
27th April 2005, 10:35 AM
I take it MSN and Mail work fine on your PowerBook? because it does sound like a firewall issue.

Maybe MSN and Mail have problems going through the powerbook. ie. they don't like a second hand connection. I'd hold out till you get your Airport Card - is it soon?

fompsweeva
27th April 2005, 10:47 AM
Friday, I think.

Hmm... It's looking like i'll just have to wait.
Oh, well

hawker
27th April 2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by fompsweeva@Apr 27 2005, 10:47 AM
Friday, I think.

Hmm... It's looking like i'll just have to wait.
Oh, well
Yeah sorry.

You can just continue to fiddle with everything and see how you go. If you do work it out or find a way to get around it, please let us know :)

Good Luck!

josh64
27th April 2005, 10:56 AM
For some weird reason, you need to turn off the firewall on the machine that's sharing the connection, otherwise the internet connection sharing won't work.

It's very annoying, but it's what I've had to do for the last 2.5 years.

hawker
27th April 2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by josh64@Apr 27 2005, 10:56 AM
For some weird reason, you need to turn off the firewall on the machine that's sharing the connection, otherwise the internet connection sharing won't work.
Yeah. I've had that problem, but mainly when XP machines or where Norton's FireWall was involved!