PDA

View Full Version : Anyone lost 3G icon?

the_doctor
28th August 2008, 11:58 PM
A strange thing happened tonight to my iPhone. Despite getting an unprecedented 3 bars on my iPhone with Optus, the 3G icon has disappeared and I can no longer get 3G data. When I manually switch 3G I get full bars on GSM and I have the GPRS icon and can download data. Anyone know what's happening here?

Reubania
29th August 2008, 12:00 AM
Yes...I've had that all night too. But haven't noticed it much at home, as it connects to my WiFi. Interesting, maybe their network is down?

Huy
29th August 2008, 12:01 AM
Have you barred your GPRS/3G by any chance?

I spoke with Vodafone to have my GPRS disabled and this removed the 3G icon (even if I manually 'enable' 3G from the Settings menu).
I also don't have the GPRS icon.

The only time I see any sort of icon is when I enable WiFi.

the_doctor
29th August 2008, 12:03 AM
Not at all.

I have WiFi connected at home so I don't know when this happened. I was doing a test on my iPhone and needed 3G. When I switched off my wireless the 3G icon was gone. When I switch 3G off the GPRS icon comes on.

Just wanted to know if any other Optus people are having the same issue? I am in the Elsternwick, VIC area.

Cheers

bengrubb
29th August 2008, 12:09 AM
Turn wifi off then go into general, turn airplane mode off and on again.

Tell us if it comes back.

the_doctor
29th August 2008, 12:23 AM
I've tried that and it didn't work. Hopefully it is network related and is fixed by the morning. I'll report back then.

Akshunhiro
29th August 2008, 12:34 AM
Hahahahahahahaha... Optus.

gareth
29th August 2008, 12:54 AM
i live close to you and im on 3G

IIe2PB
29th August 2008, 06:58 AM
A strange thing happened tonight to my iPhone. Despite getting an unprecedented 3 bars on my iPhone with Optus, the 3G icon has disappeared and I can no longer get 3G data. When I manually switch 3G I get full bars on GSM and I have the GPRS icon and can download data. Anyone know what's happening here?

Welcome to my world of Optus and the Iphone! :(

Lache
29th August 2008, 07:36 AM
Mine seems to do this randomly too. I have to switch the phone off, it normally comes back after that.

chrome
29th August 2008, 08:46 AM
I occasionally lose 3g while on the bus and it will change to [E]dge, and the only way to fix it quickly is to just reboot. It's generally pretty solid coverage on the Telstra network though.

the_doctor
29th August 2008, 08:55 AM
It's back. Phew!!! Bloody Optus!

mitty
29th August 2008, 09:14 AM
/me expects Silverdreamer along any moment now... ;)

Linux_insidev2
29th August 2008, 11:39 AM
Hahahahahahahaha... Optus.

lol

Better than Telstra's 14Mbit HSPA with a download limit of like... 17Mb or something?
Cool! I wish I could download 17Mb really quick rather than having 3Mbit max and a 500Mb limit :P