PDA

View Full Version : iPhone speed Test - a new twist

Linux_insidev2
28th August 2008, 10:29 AM
Hey Guys,

Using the ozspeedtest.com test I get 600Kbit/s which seems slow for 3G, Apparently heaps of other iPhone 3G users have been having the same issue and blaming Optus or their carriers for the slow bandwidth and finding that it's faster in other countries

This morning I tethered my iPhone using srelay which functions exactly the same as Netshare (i.e a socks proxy) and achieved a speed of 1.4Mbit/s over 3G on my Laptop

The test is based off an Image loading for ozspeedtest's tests, Obviously if the webkit engine running on the comparitavely slow ARM6 core can't decode the image fast enough, this would affect the test because the page would take longer to load, and ozspeedtest works off timing how long it takes to load the full image.

I actually just tested this with my Jailbroken 3G iPhone but creating a 10MB test file on a web server and attempting to download it over 3G
This resulted in a peak file transfer speed of 152K/s which to me confirms that the ozspeedtest test isn't accurate but that's because Safari/Webkit isn't fast enough to decode the data, why it's faster on other networks is a puzzle to me but I've noticed that the browser is a little slow to load pages even over Wifi at times as I've got an 8Mbit connection at home

those who wish to try this yourselves, create a 10mb file as so:
dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024 count=10240
copy that file to a webhosting server with a good connection
using cydia find and install wget and mobile terminal
then open mobileterminal and wget the file as follow
wget http://www.yourdomainname.com/testfile
of course be ware that it'll chew 10mb of your data to do so

Comet
28th August 2008, 10:32 AM
Comparing the speeds of the 2g and 3g on the same wifi I notice that the 2g seems to be quicker for some reason. Maybe apple went cheap with the hw thinking that 3g speeds will compensate for the lost performance?

mallo
28th August 2008, 10:53 AM
Comparing the speeds of the 2g and 3g on the same wifi I notice that the 2g seems to be quicker for some reason. Maybe apple went cheap with the hw thinking that 3g speeds will compensate for the lost performance?

did you run the test multiple times of each?

you may find that if you only ran once or twice on each, it was pure coincidence due to numerous factors influencing the internet connection on the wifi network.

Comet
28th August 2008, 10:58 AM
I'll try and get you guys figures, but not only the network. The app that I'm developing runs faster on the 2G as well. At one point, the app only ran on the 2G.