PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 12" iBook G4 HDD

dche5390
27th August 2008, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I just acquired a second hand iBook. Unfortunately, it has a 20GB HD which is insufficient for my needs. I'm hoping to bump it up to at least a 80GB HD. Now I've had a look at how to replace the HD and it seems like its a long and complicated process, fraught with dangers!

Anyone care to share their experiences, or point me in the direction of someone willing to help? I'm in Epping NSW (north-west).

Ta!
Dan

stewiesno1
27th August 2008, 10:57 PM
Do a search here along the lines of "Replace hard drive in iBook".
There are numerous threads about this.
Setup a decent work area.
Print out photos of the insides of the iBook and as you remove screws, tape them to your photo.
Install the hard drive and replace all the screws.
Boot up the iBook ,do a clean install and away you go.
Sounds easy , doesn't it?

I replaced the hard drive, installed a replacement CD drive and bumped up the ram in a friends iBook and it was way more complicated than doing the same in my Pismo or Lombard. Parting the plastic casing apart was the hardest and then getting the foil sheathing back to where it should be was a hassle as well.

Stewie

big-ray
27th August 2008, 11:00 PM
Depending on the spec (G3/G4) and max ram possible, really consider whether you need to upgrade the HDD.

It seems like a nightmare, but as many people will atest - it's not that bad.
Read the various guides and be prepared to take some time.

I used the ifixit guide and read it several times before proceeding.

Make sure you gather all the tools they suggest before you start. Dont skip or fudge something, esp the ribbon connectors.

I would suggest printing out the screw location guides or at least have a couple of plastic containers to sort out screws by layer/area.

If you can have a guide printed out read each section before proceeding.
Take deep breathe in and out, relax, take breaks if you need to.
after you've finished, you'll be happy with the result

dche5390
31st August 2008, 11:52 PM
It seems the smallest size IDE HDD's available these days are 120-160GB. Are these compatible with the early 2004 iBook G4's? Couldn't find this information elsewhere.

Brains
1st September 2008, 01:23 AM
The first iBook G4's have the same 128GB limit that plagues several of the G4 tower machines.

You can use a 160GB in it, but you would have to partition the drive intoone single 128 GB volume, any space above the 128GB mark cannot be accessed.

TeeZed
1st September 2008, 07:57 AM
I followed this website: G4 12" iBook - iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories (http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/G4-12-Inch-iBook/83)
when replacing a G4 ibook HD.

You will want to take good notes and record where all the screws go so you can put the damn thing back together. BTW the last screw you need to remove, I think it was the one that secures the HD, is a Torx head. Make sure you have a good set of little screw drivers too.