PDA

View Full Version : Quicksilver G4 Dual 1ghz Acting Very Bizarre

powdah
25th April 2005, 05:28 PM
To anyone out there that can help me.

After searching online for some answers or people with a similar problem I came across this article
http://experts.about.com/q/1506/3974707.htm
I am having the exact same problem with my QS Dual 1ghz machine and I'm about to kick it through the wall.

I've tried everything mentioned in the answer to this article as well as removing, cleaning and reinstalling pieces inside my box but nothings working apart from the fans.

I also attempted to contact the person that asked the question to see what their result was, but it was dismissed by about.com

Has anyone else out there experienced this problem with their SQ G4 as well?... and had it resolved? Any information about this problem before I take it to the Mac doctors would be fantastic.

Jimbo
25th April 2005, 05:42 PM
i had that problem with my 1.25ghz MDD, it had a dead processor, sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but no chime and no activity but fans, and they spin up at maximum right? it means a dead processor... Sorry.

powdah
25th April 2005, 09:21 PM
Well not sure if the fans spin at max speed, but that sucks the big one. Even though it's not really the answer I wanted to hear, thanks for the reply :( Can anyone in Melbourne recommend a Mac repair place with good service/customer support?

Rayd
25th April 2005, 10:02 PM
you dont need to take it to any repair centre :) all you need is a new processor! id go for the Dual 1.8ghz G4 upgrade or if you need L3 go for Dual 1.42ghz with 2mb L3!

they can be purchased from many places... www.sonnet.com is a example...

EDIT: heres a direct link:
http://www.gigadesigns.com/products.html

powdah
25th April 2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the link. Not too happy that these dual upgrades are about $1500 a pop. Would I get much more than that if I sold this machine in working order? Maybe it's G5 time.

Rayd
25th April 2005, 11:16 PM
im not sure but it hink Bonsai is selling a bunch of cheap CPU upgrades? (dont quote me on this, but i think so)

powdah
25th April 2005, 11:50 PM
Bonsai?

Rayd
26th April 2005, 12:23 AM
yes .. bonsai the user ... on the forums.. :)

Jimbo
26th April 2005, 03:02 PM
you're lucky, there were no cpu upgraded when mine carked it. And it was about 2 weeks out of warranty...

Just remember you have a slower bus speed (133mhz) i think, than most of the later g4 upgrades. but yeah sonnet are freaking good, but is it worth 1500? apple did mine for 750, plus 90 labour that was exchange. The tech, also said the motherboard could be the culprit (about 350) but i went with the processor first, which was lucky...

talk to atomic, on the forums, if you can catch him. he pointed me in the direction of a cpu module from apple, without exchange. ie you could get a faster one...