PDA

View Full Version : Safari Rendering Problem

brentonbrenton
25th April 2005, 04:17 PM
hi,

my safari suddenly renders some websites text in non-english type; no language i think, its all just symbols and numbers. we had the same thing happen to some of our computers at rmit too. does anyone have any solutions, surely i shouldn't have to restart my machine?

hopefully someone can help me,
thanks
brenton

screenshot is from videolan.org

marc
25th April 2005, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure if this will help, but it might:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22795

brentonbrenton
25th April 2005, 05:53 PM
i've tried the your suggestion; but it still displays as previously shown. funnily opening the same page in camino has the page - but correctly. this must be a safari issue. has no-one else been having this issue?? a handful of the new imacs at uni (rmit) were plagued by this problem, though i'm not sure how they overcame it.

also the funny business only displays on some websites.

all suggestions welcome,
thanks
brenton

kim jong il
26th April 2005, 04:45 AM
Are you sure it is Safari and not some font issue? It renders and displays perfectly for me in Safari 1.2.4/OS 10.3.8. It is a standard install; I have done nothing special.

Good luck with tracing the problem though. Apart from my first suggestion I can think of nothing else.

cheers, kim

matreya
26th April 2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by brentonbrenton@Apr 25 2005, 04:17 PM
my safari suddenly renders some websites text in non-english type; no language i think, its all just symbols and numbers. we had the same thing happen to some of our computers at rmit too. does anyone have any solutions, surely i shouldn't have to restart my machine?

When things like that happen, my first course of action is usually to repair permissions and re-run the latest combo updater for OS X.

or you could install Tiger :D

hoony
26th April 2005, 10:34 AM
This happens to me all the time - even in adium.

Do you have suitcase installed on your machine? I find if I quit suitcase and restart safari it will render the type properly. Unfortunately I need suitcase running when I'm working so I just use an alternative brower like firefox.

Perhaps try trashing and reimporting the fonts into suitcase?

grainfed
26th April 2005, 12:12 PM
I'll second hoony on this one. I think it has to do with Suitcase, and the system Helvetica conflicting with any Suitcase versions you might have.

It drove me crazy for a bit, then I just got rid of all my generic Helv's in Suitcase, and changed them all to Helv Neue... that stopped any programs (specifically Safari - that's why the sans serif looks so pleasant in Safari - cause it uses Helvetica instead of Arial) that were trying to use the system Helvetica from trying to call the ones in Suitcase (same name).

Good luck.

brentonbrenton
26th April 2005, 07:20 PM
thanks grainfed & hoony!

i tried turning off some of my other versions of helvetica and that cleared the problem.

thanks for explain the problem, if anything similar ever happens i'll now know the likely solution.

your responses appreciated,
brenton