PDA

View Full Version : Shut 'book Without Suspending?

luxe
25th April 2005, 03:56 PM
Hi all

I've done some Googling on this but not yet been able to find anything to help me.

My question is whether it's possible to physically shut my iBook (ie place the screen down and 'latch' it) without automatically going into suspend.

I'd like to be able to alter this default so that the system only suspends if I press the Power key for a brief moment, or something similar. I don't like to have my screen on all night if I've still got the machine working on something.

Is this at all possible? Or at least some variation of this?

Suggestions appreciated :)

king89
25th April 2005, 04:15 PM
Have you just tried turning down the screen brightness?

That is usually what I do if I want to leave my comp all night.

Currawong
25th April 2005, 04:21 PM
No, you can't. There's a hidden magnet and reed switch which puts the computer into "sleep" mode when you shut the lid.

If you have an external monitor plugged in, you can wake it with the lid shut, though I'm not sure if that activates the screen or not.

NightStalker
25th April 2005, 06:29 PM
Apparently ( i havnt tried it) but the way to do it is to get a Bluetooth mouse.

You set the mouse to be able to wake the computer

Shut the ibook, then move the mouse

Hey presto - laptop on while closed

I'm pretty sure apple has something about this on their support pages, try searching under bluetooth not suspend?? if I remember correctly they only suggest doing this with 12" ibooks due to overheating on other models..

mvjs
25th April 2005, 06:35 PM
I think, if you search up for war driving (connecting to other peoples wireless networks) programs you'll find an option in one of them which does exacly this. (the reason I know this is from The Screen savers - tech show - they did a segment. People like to do this if they ride a bike they can put it in their backpack, and it makes a noise when it connects. A long solution, but it works.

feeze
25th April 2005, 07:38 PM
There is a screen spanning hack that you can get that also has the funcionality of closing the lid without it going to sleep. I don't have a link but a search on mac update or version traker will probally find it. Although you should be careful as having the lid closed can effect heat dissipation and cause your iBook to overheat.

Kildare
25th April 2005, 07:39 PM
Grab the Screen Spanning Doctor...
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Not only does it allow you to run split screen mode on an iBook but you can enable "clam shell" mode which keeps the unit running when the lid is shut.

There is a warning that heat may be an issue though.

Rayd
25th April 2005, 07:48 PM
the warning is saying that when the screen is closed it blocks the ventilation of the iBook beacuse of the screens hinge, which will cause it to heat up excessively, but it says that pBooks are ok to do it as it has a different ventilation system...

bergerac
25th April 2005, 09:05 PM
Why don't you just set the "Put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive" option in System Preferences->Energy Saver. I often leave mine running things in the background over night and the screen just turns itself off after a while when you stop using the keyboard or mouse.

LCGuy
25th April 2005, 10:40 PM
I don't know about iBooks, but on some PBs you can close the lid, either plug in an external keyboard with a power button (or an OnCue or another USB power button), and press the power button to wake up the 'Book.

luxe
26th April 2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by bergerac@Apr 25 2005, 09:05 PM
Why don't you just set the "Put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive" option in System Preferences->Energy Saver. I often leave mine running things in the background over night and the screen just turns itself off after a while when you stop using the keyboard or mouse.
This option works for me :)

Thanks everyone for the tips. Much appreciated.