PDA

View Full Version : Tris Leaving The App Store

matthew858
26th August 2008, 07:05 AM
From Mac Rumors:

Noah Witherspoon, the developer behind the current #1 application on the App Store, has revealed that Tris [Free, App Store] will no longer be available as of Wednesday, August 27th.

The Tetris-clone caught the attention of the Tetris® Company who claims a "copyright" claim on the game. The trouble is, I'm a college student, and not an affluent one, and I simply do not have the time, energy, or resources to fight this battle right now. There's a point at which I am willing to give up and be practical, to let the world have its way with that ever-mistreated little ideal of “principle”. Thus, it's with great sadness that I must announce that I'll be pulling Tris from the App Store on Wednesday, August 27th, to remain in Apple's systems but publicly unavailable until I work out a solution to this.

As a result, if you had any interest in Tris, now's your last chance to get the popular game.

So get it while it's still there!

mechcon
26th August 2008, 07:28 AM
Fuck'em, those arseholes.. Unless they release Tetris in other store regions.. fuck'em, support Tris as much as you can folks..

decryption
26th August 2008, 07:31 AM
Well to be fair - Tetris is Tetris, you just can't go and make your own clone of a game and expect them not to do anything. Imagine you had a cool idea for a game and someone else started making copies of it with the same gameplay?

Sure, it's a bully tactic, but I'd probably do the same if I made Tetris and some dude was profiting off my idea.

SRG
26th August 2008, 07:50 AM
I agree Decryption however the small difference here is free. Still if I was Tetris and I intend brining out a version that would see me get this taken down. They just need to follow up by releasing a official version.

mechcon
26th August 2008, 07:58 AM
Couldn't agree more, but at least the developer has allowed Tris to be released on all but the US store.. And I still check daily to see if Tetris officially has dropped onto the AU store.. still no :(

dolbinau
26th August 2008, 08:01 AM
Has anyone noticed you can flick the pieces up in Tris? i.e Kind of cheat? Is there any fix for this?

mechcon
26th August 2008, 08:03 AM
oh yeah, that! that'll be in the next version that gets released :3

adamjc
26th August 2008, 08:51 AM
My favourite game pulled...lucky I downloaded it.

Im actually addicted to this, play it on the train, while watching TV...the battery dies so quick while playing though!

mitty
26th August 2008, 09:01 AM
Hopefully there's no solitaire company who can wipe that off.

mechcon
26th August 2008, 09:25 AM
If only there's a way to tell EA to sell the Tetris app elsewhere besides the US store...

303-Acid
26th August 2008, 09:26 AM
Jees...If they want to go after someone, why not go after all those chinese clones you see in dollar stores, not some guy with a free app!

I'm wondering though if there's an official paid app on the horizon then.

ZacG
26th August 2008, 09:27 AM
EA's TETRIS is exceptionally good. As in, I'd pay $20 for it.

The problem is that it's US only. Not a problem for me, but it means I can't openly recommend it to everyone.

shiny
27th August 2008, 10:33 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Had to restore the iPhone tonight and I had Tris on both the Mac and iPhone and it's gone, jumped into Time Machine and cannot find it there either, buggar!

Shame EA's version is $10, just seems overpriced for Tetris, might just have to take the plunge. :p

Mecha
27th August 2008, 10:44 PM
Can anyone who's paid both versions give a bit of a comparison?

dathnoth
27th August 2008, 11:12 PM
I can understand Tetris getting pissed at him copying their game if he was charging money for the app, but he wasn't making anything from it. I guess the bigger man won this fight.

mechcon
27th August 2008, 11:20 PM
Well I can understand the customers (all of us), are pissed because we can't buy the official Tetris because EA are too slack to put the game up on other region stores.. so screw EA, I'm sticking with Tris till then! :P

Erwin
27th August 2008, 11:28 PM
I missed downloading it. :(

shiny
28th August 2008, 09:07 AM
Well did another restore and got Tris back, not sure why it did not work last night? All is well :D

kyte
28th August 2008, 09:18 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Had to restore the iPhone tonight and I had Tris on both the Mac and iPhone and it's gone, jumped into Time Machine and cannot find it there either, buggar!

Same, more or less... it was a computer restore :(. Tris is gone for good.

Well did another restore and got Tris back, not sure why it did not work last night? All is well :D

Alas, I had it on the fone, but not in my apps directory, and iTunes deleted it from the fone.

Itunes also wont let me have the music off my phone either.

kyte
28th August 2008, 09:23 AM
Well to be fair - Tetris is Tetris, you just can't go and make your own clone of a game and expect them not to do anything. Imagine you had a cool idea for a game and someone else started making copies of it with the same gameplay?

Sure, it's a bully tactic, but I'd probably do the same if I made Tetris and some dude was profiting off my idea.

Then again... Just how many THOUSANDS of tetris clones are out there on every computing platform imaginable, and on some mobile phone platforms. Why do you think EA is going after Tris? Maybe they *will* release it for iPhone. Thats the only logical explanation. I won't be buying it though.

[Edit] Hmm, and even as I scan the app store, I find another tetris clone in the form of "Paquet". So whats the deal...

Linux_insidev2
28th August 2008, 10:47 AM
Then again... Just how many THOUSANDS of tetris clones are out there on every computing platform imaginable, and on some mobile phone platforms. Why do you think EA is going after Tris? Maybe they *will* release it for iPhone. Thats the only logical explanation. I won't be buying it though.

[Edit] Hmm, and even as I scan the app store, I find another tetris clone in the form of "Paquet". So whats the deal...

EA have released a version of Tetris for the iPhone