PDA

View Full Version : 'book As A Desktop Machine Too!

tranp
25th April 2005, 03:08 PM
Who here uses their portable mac as their main desktop machine at home as well? Got pics of your setup? :lol:

OziMac
25th April 2005, 03:12 PM
Sounds like Orange Sofa material to me!

Currently, as I wait for the updated Powermacs, I am using an iBook as a desktop and portable machine.

But it is hardly ideal :)

iSlayer
25th April 2005, 03:14 PM
i do
i have a 1.5ghz 12" powerbook i use as my main system
i have my g5 still but i use the powerbook alot more

OziMac
25th April 2005, 03:19 PM
iSlayer - do you use each for different types of tasks?

geektechnu
25th April 2005, 03:36 PM
I've been toying with the idea of using my iBook as a download machine that I can leave on all night. Mostly because it's quieter than my desktop machine.

Also considered getting a KVM to switch seamlessly between desktop & laptop, but never got around to actually buying one. I wasn't really used to the iBook keyboard/trackpad at the time - much better now, so a KVM seems like a waste

hawker
25th April 2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Apr 25 2005, 03:14 PM
i have my g5 still but i use the powerbook alot more
Send it to me !!!

Send it to me !!!

iSlayer
25th April 2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Apr 25 2005, 04:19 PM
iSlayer - do you use each for different types of tasks?
G5 is mainly a games,Hi Def Tv and dvd machine at the moment.i do use it for web design aswell though.
powerbook is used for web design and general web surfinig,irc,mail....

iSlayer
25th April 2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 25 2005, 04:37 PM
Send it to me !!!

Send it to me !!!
send me $2700 and you can have it :)

OziMac
25th April 2005, 03:43 PM
As tempted as I am by that offer, will wait until Tuesday (or later) for the new lineup at that price :)

Galumay
25th April 2005, 03:49 PM
yes, i use my 15"pb as a desktop. its sort of a mobile desktop because i have dg834g set up wirelessly to the pb.

i will refrain from the photo, because the dining room table is a mess! anyway it has the ipods next to it, a pile of cds i am ripping, an rsa secur id tag for remote access to work via citrix. (which i cant get to work on the mac, but thats another story!) an orchid sal picked the other morning, my stm sleeve for the lappy, a wooden quiver from sarawak full of incence, a little wooden, carved, buddhist temple from thailand, a copy of "travellers tales of cuba", a roll of 35mmm film, the netgear modem perched on a concrete block to improve its range and signal and an empty coffee cup!

king89
25th April 2005, 04:09 PM
I also use my powerbook as my desktop machine, well i rarely sit at a desk (thanks to airport) unless I have assignments due. Like now, I have taken over the dining room table, notes, cookies, cups, books, pens, discs, and countless sheets of paper. So I guess no photos either.

Ozi
25th April 2005, 04:14 PM
Well I use mine as the base settup, and you can see pics of it in the "Post your settup" thread. ('http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=219&hl=settup')

I love my Powerbook. :)

Galumay
25th April 2005, 04:17 PM
see thats it king89, we have evolved to the point where 'desktop' is no longer really relevant. hell, i dont even own a desk! powerful laptops with good screens and wireless connectivity have killed the desktop.

just think about the specs of a topline desktop 10yrs ago and i bet the pb would be just as good - including screen size!

spargo
25th April 2005, 04:18 PM
Rather than make this thread another 'Show us your setup' topic (a thread exists for this here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=219)) or merge them, let's see how people use their portables when at home, what accessories etc they attach to them, and also seek comments on how capable Apple laptops are at operating as your main machine while at home/work.

I too will refrain from posting a photo as its just sitting on the dining room table while we're house-sitting at the moment, however I do use our Rev C. 15" PowerBook (w. Superdrive & 128mb Video RAM) as the main home machine when it is not travelling with me to work or somewhere else.. It is perfect for the job as we can just unplug 2 or 3 cables and walk out the door with it, or while its at home, watch DVD's on it, and with the iCurve and keyboard mouse, use it just like anyone else's desktop machine..

When it is home it sits on an iCurve, with all of the USB peripherals plugged into it with a Belkin USB 2.0, 4-way hub - these include an Apple USB Keyboard, USB mouse, Griffin iMic, digital camera cable.. My iPod goes in via FireWire 400 (cause I find it more reliable), and in a few weeks when I get a new place to live i'll be going ADSL and using my Airport Express which only gets used for AirTunes at the moment to have a complete wireless setup for the web and music from anywhere..

I recently put more RAM in it, taking it to 1.5 Gig so it is more than capable as a home machine, and also for my work as a town planner - mainly using Office, in particular Word for large report writing, and some photo/drawing editing work for plans etc..

With the iCurve and keyboard setup it is great for spanning the screen across to either a CRT or LCD external monitor - i did this recently over to a spare 15" CRT and it worked a treat when using the iLife suite and dragging and dropping..

All in all, the PowerBooks are great for use as a home machine - I'm sure with some extra RAM and some extras plugged in, an iBook could do the job too!

OziMac
25th April 2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by galamay@Apr 25 2005, 04:17 PM
just think about the specs of a topline desktop 10yrs ago and i bet the pb would be just as good - including screen size!
Are you for real? What kind of computer were you using 10 years ago?

10 years ago, a topline desktop would have been looking at somewhere around 120-150MHz with 8MB RAM.

I remember having to get my 486 33MHz 4MB RAM machine upgraded to 8MB RAM almost exactly 10 years ago so that I could play Dark Forces. That was upgrade was such a huge deal.

Doesn't quite hold a candle to today's Powerbooks, iBooks or anything really. Hell, $200 PDAs have more computing power than that, not to mention smartphones and handheld gaming consoles. Even desktops from 3 years ago would struggle (anything really prior to the introduction of the G5 - though the late MDD dual G4s would give them a run for their money). :)

zen
25th April 2005, 05:24 PM
I too use a 15" Powerbook as my desktop machine pic here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=219&st=240&#entry56985)

Although just like the others, I rarely sit it on the table these days. Thanks to Airport I'm able to roam around the house to complete all my computing tasks B)

Galumay
25th April 2005, 05:25 PM
you are quite right!! i was being conservative, i was going to say 5 yrs ago and then i thought maybe i would get shot down in flames so i made it ten years - and got shot down in flames. :P

OziMac
25th April 2005, 05:27 PM
Nah, just got to stick with your gut instinct galamay :)

p53
25th April 2005, 09:09 PM
My 12" PB is my main/only machine. I use it for uni work (word processing), general surfing/email and basic home recording. When I'm in my study, my PB sits on the box that it came in so that it is level with my eyes. When I'm roaming, it sits on a home-made cool pad which is simply a folder cut in half with 4 bits of foam stuck on top.

My accessories:
generic PS/2 keyboard
awesome USB Kensington Expert Mouse Pro Trackball
insanely cool 3G iPod
external hard drive which I plug in via FireWire
USB battery charger
USB Edirol MIDI interface + Casio keyboard
Griffin iMic + (crappy old) Toshiba mic

I find the PB is great for my purposes, though it can be a bit laggy with GarageBand and NeoOfficeJ. The screen size is a bit on the small side for me, but any bigger and I would lose the portability.
All-in-all, it is a great machine, very capable as a main machine.

p53.