PDA

View Full Version : Quite Random

nocash
25th April 2005, 02:12 PM
Hi all

I don't really know how to describe my problem because sometimes its not a problem?
Im pretty sure it all started a few weeks ago when I updated through 'software update' or maybe even when i installed "shapeshifter", it was at the same time but Safari started to chugg along then everything else followed,most of the time just freezing ffor a second or two then keeps on chugging, so I completely re-installed OSX and it was still running extra slow untill I shut it down one night and turned it on the next morning and it was running fine but this morning it has taken 3 goes at turning it on and when it gets to the light grey 'apple' screen it just stays there and then the fan starts up at full pace and then I have to turn it off manualy.
It's really quite anoying because i know if or when i go into the apple store it will probably run normally haha

anyways i was just wondering if anyone had this problem and, you know, any help :)

Thanks

Vaughn

tranp
25th April 2005, 02:29 PM
Portable or Desktop? My ibook did exactly what you're experiencing when the HDD decided it had enough and died in its ass. If it does that even with the OS reinstall, i'd backup any important data now!!

kim jong il
25th April 2005, 02:47 PM
Just wondering; you did a "complete re-install of OS X". I suspect you did an 'archive and install' instead of 'erase and install' and just transferred whatever it was that was causing your mac spasms to you new system.

I don't know this to be fact but it is a theory worth considering.

kim

nocash
25th April 2005, 03:03 PM
Sorry guys I should've said it is a 2 month old G5 iMac, I just did a hardware test and after 12 minutes it started to show all of these colour screens (really quite op art :blink: ) I dont know if that is supposed to happen becausse knowewhere did it say it was so I turned it off :huh: and now it started up as fast as it should so I might have to have a bit of a drive to the apple store tomorrow.. bleh

kim jong il yeah I completely erased and re-installed OSX, thats why I am at all ends here :(

Thanks for the feedback though, tranp im glad someone else has experienced this and yeah everything backed up :)

Vaughn

g4cube
25th April 2005, 03:17 PM
Have you repaired permissions and also checked the start up disk do all that at the install screen under disk utilities.

kim jong il
25th April 2005, 03:22 PM
Showing all those colour screens was probably a video card hardware test. I would have left it running. If it really is cactus it is going to be repaired anyway so what could it hurt? It may have revealed a problem or lack thereof if left.

cheers

nocash
25th April 2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by g4cube@Apr 25 2005, 03:17 PM
Have you repaired permissions and also checked the start up disk do all that at the install screen under disk utilities.
Hey i repaired permissions but didnt find how to check the start up disk, but what does this stuff do? just wondering what im doing here hehe

kim jong ilyeah i was going to keep it going but while the hardware test was going the fan was going overboard aswell so i was kinda stressing already, might try it again though. Anyone done a hardware test? does it usually get the fan going pretty full on?

Thanks

Vaughn

Currawong
25th April 2005, 05:51 PM
I'd say something has either gone haywire in your RAM or your HD.

g4cube
25th April 2005, 06:50 PM
With the start up disk in just pick repair disk instead of permissions the startup drive cant be used so if the system has started from the dvd then the hd can be scanned.

nocash
25th April 2005, 07:18 PM
cheers for everyones help and feedback :)

Rayd
25th April 2005, 07:55 PM
so did you get it fixed?

nocash
26th April 2005, 01:30 AM
haha um well its running fine now but im going to take it to get it looked at because it will probablt stuff up again but the way it had been going before this

ill post what happens in the end :)

Arkhum_Eramak
26th April 2005, 08:19 AM
Just to answer an earlier question, yes, it is definately the video RAM test...in fact, the most amusing story I have about that is that once my ATi Rage from my G4 Cube died and I couldn't get a comprehensible image, but I still stuck in the hardware test disc anyway...and the picture came up fine, and the video RAM test failed....so the hardware test in INVINCIBLE!!! Even OSX couldn't display on busted hardware. Crazy. But yeah, it is the Video RAM test. Just to clear that up.

nocash
26th April 2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@Apr 26 2005, 08:19 AM
Just to answer an earlier question, yes, it is definately the video RAM test...in fact, the most amusing story I have about that is that once my ATi Rage from my G4 Cube died and I couldn't get a comprehensible image, but I still stuck in the hardware test disc anyway...and the picture came up fine, and the video RAM test failed....so the hardware test in INVINCIBLE!!! Even OSX couldn't display on busted hardware. Crazy. But yeah, it is the Video RAM test. Just to clear that up.
hahah cool, thanks for clearing that up for me :)

nocash
3rd May 2005, 05:13 PM
Hey just an update

After a few days in the apple shop they cant really find anything that is wrong with it and it is working fine now so yeah :blink: quite wierd
but i think i will be getting 3 year warrenty thing <_< hmmm yes