PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Beijing!

Goodbye
25th August 2008, 12:26 AM
Well I enjoyed watching the Olympics, a little sad to see them over - the two weeks went so quickly!

Happy to be rid of Channel 7's coverage though - the amount of ads seemed to outweigh the coverage of the actual games, and the ads through the opening and closing was really shameful.

Anyone else enjoy the games?

decryption
25th August 2008, 12:34 AM
I didn't find the ads that much of a problem - the main thing was 7's coverage overall. They cut to different events far too often. Most of the commentators are hopeless. The whole Yum Cha show and lots of other things were borderline offensive to Chinese people. Some pathetic Motion effects and to be honest, the worst typeface use I've ever seen (okay, I'm a font nerd, shoot me).

SBS however, did an awesome job!

I hope in 2012, we can have the Olympics on demand via the Internet. Every single sport live, every minute broadcast over the net. You simply choose what you want to watch and it's streamed to you in 720p.

The sports themselves were great - I loved watching everything. The softball match between Japan and Australia was really tense, seeing Australia get thrashed by the USA in basketball, not so good :(

I missed Roy & HG too - shame they didn't have a show.

AusMac
25th August 2008, 12:37 AM
SBS were good and yes the low light of the games was the Opals performance in the final.

BrettJohn
25th August 2008, 01:11 AM
I love the olympics but they focus too much on where we're coming on the medals count. who cares who wins or loses. it's just great to see people in the events giving it their all.

it could do with a lot less joanna griggs.

well done sbs with the great coverage. channel 7 learn something...

highlight for me was seeing the Boomers beat Lithuania by 30 odd pts. that was amazing :thumbup:

Comet
25th August 2008, 01:13 AM
It was disappointing that they didn't make use of all the digital channels to broadcast other sports. Since channel 9 is taking over London we can only hope that the broadcast will be more internet oriented, especially with the time difference! Hopefully I'll be in London watching it live though ;)

Indeed, SBS had a good coverage, though it pissed me off sometimes to see the same thing being broadcasted. The stuff they were showing on seven weren't live so that also pissed me off. Found out that it wasn't live when my tv access in Japan was at least a minute ahead in some of the athletics events!

Mecha
25th August 2008, 02:17 AM
2 weeks is a perfect duration for the Olympics imo. Sad to see it go but happy to catch some of the few but regular shows i watch.

forno
25th August 2008, 08:19 AM
Goodby Bruce!

Erwin
25th August 2008, 12:03 PM
The commentary during the closing ceremony was woeful.

The worse call (paraphrasing): "The memory tower... The Chinese are climbing up the tower... I don't know what it symbolises" - if you don't know, shut up.

dotComrade
25th August 2008, 12:07 PM
The commentary during the closing ceremony was woeful.

The worse call (paraphrasing): "The memory tower... The Chinese are climbing up the tower... I don't know what it symbolises" - if you don't know, shut up.

Ha ha yeah, I loved how they were talking about how good it was to see the volunteers to get up and sing with around the memory tower when it was Jackie Chan!

The Fluffy Duck
25th August 2008, 12:10 PM
Happy to be rid of Channel 7's coverage though - the amount of ads seemed to outweigh the coverage of the actual games, and the ads through the opening and closing was really shameful.

They only had three ads they repeated. I've been to cities that never close.......

vargz
25th August 2008, 01:08 PM
Yes, enjoyed the games and glad they are now over.

Best Gold - Steve Hooker, to get through on the third attempt, three times! And Matt Mitcham, an amazing effort to win the diving gold.

Biggest Cringe - there's a few here, Seven's Yum Cha; the interview with Tamsyn Lewis after she came last in the 800m; whenever Sally McLellan opened her mouth.

Saddest moment - when Matthias Steiner on his last lift in the clean and jerk, decided to stack another 10kg on and went on to win gold for his late wife who died in a car crash last year.

Athlete(s) of the Games - Phelps and Bolt, in a dead heat.

asphotos
25th August 2008, 01:14 PM
YouTube - Rob Sitch's 'Bruce Mcavaney' impersonation (The Late Show) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5oEf66RrUk)

dear ch7, with your 2000+ odd hours of sport over the 16 days. Why did you continue to put in 5 min filler spots full of slow motion vision of some swimmer touching the wall from 17 different angles, instead of providing some overview of the sports that are a little less main stream.

on a slightly different note, what was with the pajero 3 door Mitsubishi ad running through the olympics? i think we need to get the gruen transfer guys to explain that one? or is it just an Adelaide thing?

kim jong il
25th August 2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, enjoyed the games and glad they are now over.

Best Gold - Steve Hooker, to get through on the third attempt, three times! And Matt Mitcham, an amazing effort to win the diving gold.

My favourite bit of the Matt Mitcham win was almost all the foreign coaches giving him a hug and a pat on the back. :)

... the low light of the games was the Opals performance in the final.

I don't agree with that sentiment. Yes, they were outclassed but that can't be that much of a surprise v the USA. What's the shame in coming second? Seriously all of those girls could pretty much tear one of your arms off and choke you to death with it. I think they are fantastic. :)

griffmiester
25th August 2008, 02:34 PM
I'd have to say I'm sort of happy it's all over for another 4 years. Most of that was cos of CH7. The sports I wanted to see were shown haphazardly (eg the Menís Hockey Aus vs GBR was interrupted every 5 mins or so to show some track events).

Favorite 3 moments of the games would be:

3. Germanyís Matthias Steinerís last lift in the Menís weight lifting.
2. Australiaís Steve Hooker winning the Gold in the Pole Vault, and then going on and breaking the Olympic Record.
1. Australiaís Sally Mclellan and her Post Race Interview after winning the Silver in the Womenís 100m Hurdles Copy of video here. (http://www.extremotech.com/SallyMclellan.mp4)

Scooterpig
25th August 2008, 03:12 PM
Great to watch on SBS cause they actually showed sports live and in full instead of all the cut and paste ch 7 did. As per everyone else Channel 7 are a joke but not much other option unfortunately.

Also agree with Erwin with the pathetic Wilson shiela, she is a joke as were most of the commentators.

But great games, great sports, great to see what we did but a long way off the mark for Ch 7 and lets hope 9 do better.

Ecto1
25th August 2008, 08:32 PM
Glad it is over.

Beau
25th August 2008, 09:46 PM
I have a slight crush on Matt Mitcham now... :D
He's so cute & adorable <3

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v312/80/93/717249637/n717249637_1212440_927.jpg
(http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1212440&l=6dd08&id=717249637)
Anyway, happy to have my normal TV back. :)

Reubania
25th August 2008, 09:48 PM
Pity he has a bf....

:o

smilne360
25th August 2008, 10:11 PM
yes 7's coverage was shocking. but can 9 do any better in 2012?

Madone
25th August 2008, 10:23 PM
I've been to cities that never close.......

They've never been to Perth then :rolleyes:

Reubania
25th August 2008, 10:25 PM
They've never been to Perth then :rolleyes:

LOL.....and Hobart. :D

benb
25th August 2008, 10:27 PM
To be honest I did not watch that much. I got most of my results from ABC News online. Actually over the 2 weeks I watched more Red Dwarf :D

I missed Roy & HG too - shame they didn't have a show.
That was Channel 7's decision. They felt their style of coverage would not work the day after (due to the time zone difference). Shame Channel 7 Shame!

It was disappointing that they didn't make use of all the digital channels to broadcast other sports. Since channel 9 is taking over London we can only hope that the broadcast will be more internet oriented, especially with the time difference! Hopefully I'll be in London watching it live though ;)
According to Channel 7 (from tonight's Media Watch) they could not do this thanks to the anti-siphoning laws (which make sure major events are available on free to air TV and not exclusively on pay TV). I would have thought multi-casting would have encouraged more take-up of digital TV. But then again would we have wanted 4 lots of crap coverage and commentry from 7?

As for things being better in 2012? The IOC deal is with Channel 9 and Foxtel. Don't expect much internet with that (especially considering the abysmal offering from Yahoo7.

Abaddon
26th August 2008, 05:13 PM
Well the sports carnival is over for another four years.

Unfortunately I have become jaded over time and these games did nothing to change that. I get tired of the Jingoism that goes with the games and there have been too many drug-enhanced performances in the past to eliminate the suspicion that a lot of the superlative performances that occurred at these games were not simlilarly aided.

I had written an entire diatribe but re-reading it I was coming across as an old curmudgeon so I've decided to exercise a little self-censorship :)

One thing I will say though is to remember that we will soon have olympians in Beijing again and they too will be competing for our country. Let's give them the same level of support that we have given those who have just competed.