PDA

View Full Version : Help With New G4 Ibook Please!

camB
24th April 2005, 06:47 PM
Just bought new iBook G4. Base model coz we're (yes..... we share, sometimes amicably) students and can't afford anything more whiz-bang.

Anyway..... unpacked 'puter and all is good. Much prettier than the G3 PB I'm typing this on.
Why am I typing this on an old G3 PB when I've just unpacked a new iBook?

Well I'm glad you asked......

Plugged in IP details from old PB and fired up Safari and ........ waiting........ waiting.......

...... still waiting.

Not ISP because all is fine and dandy on the old PB.

What's going on? Am I missing something?

Whilst I'm on the "please help" -
We wanted to transfer some stuff from old to new so we hooked up an ethernet crossover cable and followed the instructions on connecting two computers via ethernet and we're getting nowhere there too.

Someone please help before there is a nervous breakdown at our place.

geektechnu
24th April 2005, 07:03 PM
Without more specific details I'd have to say:

1. Hardware settings
2. Protocol settings
3. Security settings

Make sure the iBook isn't being filtered out by the security of your modem/router/whatever.
Try to ping the IP address of the iBook from the PB (and vice versa) using the Network Utility.
If the machines are on the same subnet and have been assigned different IP addresses, the ping should work.

Try manually assigning the internal IP address of the iBook & PB, ping those.

Any more details about your hardware setup - especially the for internet connection?

House
24th April 2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by camB@Apr 24 2005, 06:47 PM

Plugged in IP details from old PB and fired up Safari and ........ waiting........ waiting.......

...... still waiting.

Not ISP because all is fine and dandy on the old PB.

What's going on? Am I missing something?

You have to set different IP's to each machine. Just change the last number to something not already on the network and everything should be fine.

This should fix the file transfer problem too.

Kildare
24th April 2005, 08:05 PM
What are you using to connect to the net / network?
Guess you don't have a DHCP server?

camB
24th April 2005, 08:41 PM
More info for you...
No "network" per se. Just have the two computers linked via ethernet cable, one to the other. No hub or router.
Everything in the manual tells me that should work.

The G3 PB is on OS8.6 and I can now get it to find the G4 in both Appletalk and Network Browser.
Can't remote access anything though.

I/O error -1072

Can't get the G4 to even find the G3.

This is a pain. More concerned with slowness of internet on new G4 tho.
I thought with Apple it was pretty much plug 'er in and away we go.

May have to resort to venturing back to the shop. (egads!)

geektechnu
24th April 2005, 08:56 PM
Sounds like you might need to check the Sharing Preferences.
I'm not to sure about these settings for OS9 - but for For OSX:

Check that the services you require are enabled.
- Personal File Sharing
- Personal Web Sharing
- etc.

Also check under the "Firewall" tab that the ports linked to the selected services are open as well.

new2aus
24th April 2005, 09:16 PM
Editted as I hadn't read your first post correctly the first time and I see the answer there after all....

camB
24th April 2005, 09:36 PM
Alright.... Thanks for the info.

Giving the G4 a manual IP address has solved the file transfer problem.
It's happening as I type.

We're now downgrading this to frustrating rather than nervous breakdown inducing.

Frustrating because I know it must be a lousy setting somewhere that is making the internet browsing so much slower than the G3.
Understand - we only have dial-up so any slower than it was is VERY frustrating.

Connects fine..... actually connects 4000 bps faster than the G3 but pages take forEVER to load.

Any tips on this problem.

king89
24th April 2005, 10:12 PM
Its probably very slow, because your G3 is using up all the bandwidth of your dial up connection. Try turning off all internet apps on your G3, and see how it goes. If you are sharing your internet connection through (i.e. it is the one dialling up) you may want to set yo your connection on your G4 which might speed things up.

But you really shouldn't share dial up internet, it is just slow enough to cause fights :P

camB
25th April 2005, 11:22 AM
This will teach me to be more explicit in original post in the future.

New iBook is very slow on internet as stand alone machine.
1 phone line, plugged straight into laptop.

What I meant above is that the old G3 PB is faster than the new iBook when the phone line is plugged into it and we dial-up.

We're not even contemplating sharing a dial-up internet connection. I agree, the slowness is bound to cause divorce!

So.... this is our current situation:
G3 PB: 333 MHz / 64Mb RAM (i know..... i know..... how do we cope)
no network connection - stand alone machine
standard 56K dial-up
This surfs along reasonably well whilst connected. Nothing to write home about but doesn't make you want to tear your hair out or anything.

G4 iBook: 1.2GHz / 256Mb RAM
no network connection - stand alone machine
standard 56K dial-up
Slow as a wet week!

Now I know this must be a setting somewhere that's screwing this up because the modem connects at 52K (faster than the PB which can never manage more than 48K)
We've transferred all the details over from the PB and still takes ages to even load the home page for our ISP!

Suggestions please?
(Thank you all for your continued assistance everyone) :rolleyes: