PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Booting - Wont Boot

nicwithsticks
24th April 2005, 02:57 AM
Hey guys,

I want to install a bootable copy of OS X on my external hard disk. It shows up and allows me to install to it, but won't let me boot. What gives? It's firewire by the way.

Is there any way around this to make it boot?

Currawong
24th April 2005, 06:37 AM
Need more info mate. What's the external HD? Have you already installed on to it? Is it connected to the built-in firewire or an external card?

purana
24th April 2005, 08:30 AM
Turn on your machine, hold down the "Option" key I think it is, and the open firmware boot manager should come up on the screen. After a few moments it should present to you all the bootable disks it can see. Click one and hit the arrow to boot it.

To make it boot the same drive everytime (without doing this option thing) you'd need to change the startup disk once the OS is loaded. But your probably better off leaving this as is and just hitting option key to get boot manager in open firmware.

eyeLikeCarrots
24th April 2005, 09:04 AM
I find that sometimes holding down OPTION to get the boot manager does not always show the external drive, perhaps becasue the drive has not fully spun up,, so just restart the box again.

You might alot that you have to go into the open firmware and do a 'reset-all', there is another command to go before that but I wont be able to get that for you until tuesday

purana
24th April 2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by eyeLikeCarrots@Apr 24 2005, 09:04 AM
You might alot that you have to go into the open firmware and do a 'reset-all', there is another command to go before that but I wont be able to get that for you until tuesday

You probably mean the one that relates to nvram... I think I have it written down somewhere.. Been months since I did Apple Technical support, would use all this information on a daily basis, now its just on here.

bullrout
24th April 2005, 09:16 AM
I had trouble with the a bootable drive not showing up when using Carbon Copy Cloner. I now use SilverKeeper to make bootable backups to 2 external firewire drives. They both show up when I go to the Startup Disk & have booted from them OK.

purana
24th April 2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by cloughie@Apr 24 2005, 09:16 AM
I had trouble with the a bootable drive not showing up when using Carbon Copy Cloner. I now use SilverKeeper to make bootable backups to 2 external firewire drives. They both show up when I go to the Startup Disk & have booted from them OK.
CCC works fine for me. You sure you had ticked the box in CCC to bless the disk (aka make this bootable).

bullrout
24th April 2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by iodine@Apr 24 2005, 09:34 AM
CCC works fine for me. You sure you had ticked the box in CCC to bless the disk (aka make this bootable).
I know a lot of people swear by CCC but it just didn't do it for me. It worked sometimes but not all the time. Anyway I am happy with Silverkeeper now as I do scheduled daily Home backup as well.

Thanks.

nicwithsticks
24th April 2005, 10:00 AM
The Hard disk is an 80Gb Western Digital housed in a Zynet enclosure that uses the Genesys Logic chipset. The brand is meant to be fully Mac compatible.

I have it connected to my powerbook's firewire port, and used my powerbook's restore dvd's to load software on it. For those wondering, i want to use the drive on the same powerbook, so it shouldnt be an issue.

Also, i checked disk utility, and the device is marked as bootable.

nicwithsticks
24th April 2005, 02:36 PM
Just tried booting using a cloned image of my HD made with carbon copy cloner.... no luck... still not booting :(