PDA

View Full Version : Acer Aspire Laptop At Big W

scruffie
23rd April 2005, 10:43 AM
I know this is a mac forum, but I'm thinking of getting a cheap wi-fi laptop so my mum can browse the net, check her email and (gasp) play her godddamn solitare.

BIG W has this laptop for sale:

Acer Aspire 7001WLMi Laptop
- AMD Sepron 2800+ processor
- 256 MB RAM
- 60 Gig hd
- 15.4" widescreen
- DVD dual layer burner
- Wifi
- shared mem graphics board
- Win XP

For $1,247.

Sounds like a good deal. Not sure about the speed though. Obviously, she's not going to play games or run adobe :) Plus i might be able to use the dvd burner once in awhile. The processor and the ram really concerns me. Not to aware about the Athlon stuff and 256MB on XP? Hmm.

Not too concerned about the wi-fi speed. Actually I'd be happy that she'll be on 802.11 b so she cant take the speed away from me. wuhahahaha.

The other alternative is that I upgrade to a PB 15" and pass off my Ibook... hmmmm....

iSlayer
23rd April 2005, 10:45 AM
its a reasonable deal.
if you want or need a pc then go for it

geektechnu
23rd April 2005, 11:21 AM
The price isnt bad for those specs - AMD Sempron isn't all that bad at all.
RAM should be easily upgradable - fairly cheap too.

I'd watch out for heat, weight and battery.
Cheaper laptops are notorious for skimping on things like that.

If you can find a BigW that has it on display, check the weight and heat (if it's powered-up). Also take a look at general build quality.

Worst case scenario is you end up returning it after a day or 2. They should be understanding if there's some reason why you find it unsuitable or unuseable. Check the refund policy when you buy.

If it's for your mum, maybe an old iBook would be best for ease of use and maintenance...

Comet
23rd April 2005, 11:23 AM
There are cheaper alternatives then that. Why not get an IBM Certified Used Laptop? They come with brand new batteries so I think they're a lot better then your ACER, ASUS etc brands

iSlayer
23rd April 2005, 11:23 AM
an ibook would be good.
that assumes his mum is willing to switch....
that system will run faster then any sub 1ghz ibook anyway except for the graphics

geektechnu
23rd April 2005, 11:41 AM
that assumes his mum is willing to switch....
Didn't think of it that way - scruffie's mum might be a PC fanboy :lol:

Just thinking that OSX is harder to "break" than Windows.
All scruffie needs to do is find a good solitaire game for OSX.

Currawong
23rd April 2005, 11:48 AM
I'd be going the iBook, because you can give her a user account that is "locked down" somewhat. On my mum's iMac, i locked the dock so that she can't accidentally drag programs out of it.

macjim23
23rd April 2005, 11:52 AM
Acer is the crappest laptop you can buy. Their build quality is totally rubbish, they cant take the abuse of normal daily use, and it could be majorly slow. The components they use are the cheapest they can get, and you may end up with more headaches with this thing than it's worth. My advice would be to buy it only if it wont be used or moved that often.

IBM thinkpads are the best; they'll last longer. I agree with Comet, If if were for my mum I'd get her a 2nd hand thinkpad..

geektechnu
23rd April 2005, 11:57 AM
macjim23, you're speaking from past experience?
I agree that I've seen crappy acer laptops - but that was a long time ago. I cannot comment on their quality now - esp. not this particular laptop in question.

Though, if you can buy an acer from BigW, maybe that is saying somthing about the qulaity of their machines... :P

I still think it would be worth going to the store and actually seeing one up close.

eyeLikeCarrots
23rd April 2005, 12:12 PM
Remember, she wants to play Solitare... you'll have to hunt for a version on Mac that runs as fast or it as cool and innovative at thw Win32 version :huh:

iSlayer
23rd April 2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.macupdate.com/solit

eudaemons
23rd April 2005, 12:54 PM
http://www.tpg.com.au/online/intel_noteboo...53ab9233b77b558 (http://www.tpg.com.au/online/intel_notebook.php?TPGSESS=50c7af03b8acba54653ab92 33b77b558)

This would be a better, Centrino platoform.

Plus they are made by Arima. Arima made eMachines laptops and everyone in America loved them at the time when the Radeon 9600 was a performer for mobile vid cards.

The only negative about buying the one TPG is if has a few dead pixels you cant return them. With the Big W, if they have a demo running with no dead pixel, you have a right as a customer to return it had get one with no dead pixels, despite Acer's warrenty.

Speaking of which, an APC reader wrote in saying you don't even need to read the dead pixel warrenty on a LCD. If there is a demo running with no dead pixels and you recieve on with dead pixels, you can demand a exchange. This is because the product you bought is not the same as on the one display.

WonderBoy
23rd April 2005, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't for the life of me buy a computer from Big W. Can you imagine if there was a problem with it?

montfort
23rd April 2005, 02:22 PM
the reason i switched to a mac was becasue of acer...i had 3 laptops die on me (all with mother board problems). coincidentally, they all died after the warranty ran out!

personally, i would not buy another acer again!

scruffie
23rd April 2005, 03:01 PM
the thing is that she really needs a computer. not as in anything specific, but i just dont want her to use MY computer. does that make me bad? :P

anyway, its funny. she had no problem with switching before, so long as she has her solitaire. :) what is with these old people. grr...

ideally we'd like to remain an apple family. its easier to set up and we already have two ibooks running wirelessly around the house, so power cables, batteries and the like really aint too much of an issue.

im just thinking maybe an ibook maybe is just to extreme for her needs. oh god, sorry people for wasting your time. i'm so indecisive. maybe i'll just roam ebay for a 2nd hand g4 or look into a discounted mac mini.

geektechnu
23rd April 2005, 03:09 PM
You're not wasting our time - this is the kinda stuff we talk about anyway.
Why not just get her an earlier model iBook?

I haven't tried running solitaire on my iBook 800, but I'm pretty sure it would work.
Or, you could just buy her a deck of cards :lol:

scruffie
23rd April 2005, 03:43 PM
Oh we did have an old Ibook 800. But we accidentily broke that in half. So now she's using my comp everytime she wants to check her email. internet banking and skype; and powering up an old DELL PIII for solitaire :)

pipsqeek
23rd April 2005, 05:33 PM
I'd go a cheap iBook.

If Windows is your choice, then I'd go the "refurbished" IBM's with a fresh battery, as someone described very early in the thread.

If I was to get a Wintel Lappy, I'd go IBM... I've not seen better built... some Apple's included in the comparison of that too. :ph34r:

pipsqeek :thumbup:

zeddie2001
23rd April 2005, 06:08 PM
I just want to know how you broke a laptop in half??

bender
23rd April 2005, 06:11 PM
I'll vouch for Acer laptops being poor build quality - my girlfriends Travelmate 220 fell apart after 2 years of regular use - lucky it was still under warranty! It's now been replaced by a nice 14" iBook.

I'd recommend one of IBM's secondhand Thinkpads. Awesome machines, sturdy as they come and really reliable, perfect for the person who wants to get stuff done with a minimum of fuss.

And if you consider buying that Acer thing from Big Dub, I'd put at least another 256MB RAM in there, Windows XP needs it badly :blink:

zefi
23rd April 2005, 06:26 PM
There is a really awesome solitaire game that has cool transition effects!! It kicks the windows version in terms of 'flat out cool'. It is called Solitaire XL and I believe it is freeware.

There you go. Now you have to go mac :)

LCGuy
23rd April 2005, 06:57 PM
Acers are the Hyundai Excels of computers, they're just cheap, low end machines that really have nothing going for them. If you want a PC laptop, get either a Toshiba, Dell or IBM one, when it comes to laptops i wouldn't buy anything else.

the_OM
23rd April 2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Apr 23 2005, 06:57 PM
Acers are the Hyundai Excels of computers, they're just cheap, low end machines that really have nothing going for them. If you want a PC laptop, get either a Toshiba, Dell or IBM one, when it comes to laptops i wouldn't buy anything else.
Owned an Acer have you?

They make some pretty high end machines too that are pretty damn good. Although they are expensive.

I thought your machine was a 233 orignal imac? So how would you know not buy anything else if you don't have a laptop?

LCGuy
23rd April 2005, 07:17 PM
I haven't used any of their high end machines, so i have no opinion on those, only on their low end machines. As for my main Mac, its a 333 Mhz iMac. And about the laptop bit, Dad has a Toshiba, which for a PC, is a nice machine, and has caused him zero problems so far (apart from Windows being a steaming POS)