PDA

View Full Version : MobileChat for iPhone

tcn33
13th August 2008, 11:45 AM
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287479962&mt=8

Server-side connection management, support for multiple accounts and "push-compatible" (i.e ready for push notification when Apple makes it available).

They appear to be having some teething issues with their server as I can't get messages out or in at the moment (there's a splash screen on launch that asks users to be patient) so I can't recommend spending the $2.99 US just yet. I'll keep you posted on how it works, when it works :p

edit: just found it in the AU store as well, at $3.99.

decryption
13th August 2008, 01:13 PM
Nice find - supports MSN and Gtalk also.
Apple needs to get their act together and release the notification server!
I'll buy it when their servers manage to cope with the load I'm sure they're currently experiencing.

bawpcwpn
13th August 2008, 01:17 PM
It's a good start. I'll wait for ApolloIM to reach the AppStore before shelling out $3.99 on this app.

decryption
13th August 2008, 01:18 PM
Adium is supposed to be on the iPhone sooner or later too isn't it? I think it will be pretty quiet in terms of IM apps for iPhone until Apple releases the notification server, so you can actually get IMs without the app being open.

drewbles
13th August 2008, 01:21 PM
IIRC, this app (The current new one on the store for $3.99) is written by the same guys that did the Jailbreak one. The Jailbreak 'Chat' client rang rings around Apollo IMHO. For those willing to use a cruddy interface, you can always use Palringo for free. Support MSN as well but you have to register with their stupid site. And the interface is a steaming pile of poop. It's MSN on the go at least until a decent one is released. From what i've read, the current MobileChat app is still pretty buggy, but at least you'll get the free updates and server push notifications when they are available.

nicwithsticks
13th August 2008, 01:25 PM
I think I'm going to hold out until Adium or (gasp!) Microsoft release an IM client for the iPhone. I mostly use MSN anyway, and I can see more people offering clients to handle this once the push notification server goes live.

bawpcwpn
13th August 2008, 01:27 PM
Adium is supposed to be on the iPhone sooner or later too isn't it?

I'm not holding my breath for an Adium iPhone App. It could be a long way off yet.

nbetts
13th August 2008, 01:28 PM
Adium is supposed to be on the iPhone sooner or later too isn't it? I think it will be pretty quiet in terms of IM apps for iPhone until Apple releases the notification server, so you can actually get IMs without the app being open.

i thought i read somehwere that Adium was not going to do an iphone app... but i may be wrong

gehenna
13th August 2008, 01:30 PM
about time!

ozymandias
13th August 2008, 01:32 PM
I would'nt pay for one until Notifactions are up and running, then you would see a flurry of them I would think.

silverdreamer
13th August 2008, 01:40 PM
I have all my contacts in AIM on the iPhone automatically as a result of using the gateway set upon iChat on the Mac. The AIM App works well.

And I have to agree, palringo, works well but is butt ugly.

adamerr
13th August 2008, 06:45 PM
I have all my contacts in AIM on the iPhone automatically as a result of using the gateway set upon iChat on the Mac. The AIM App works well.

And I have to agree, palringo, works well but is butt ugly.

palringo has just had an update....
well, at least at 1.1 it looks better
lol

Peter Wells
18th August 2008, 09:18 AM
the lovely alaero just pointed out the new app MobileChat for iPhone. it supports all the bigguns, and will support push notifications when Apple switch them on.

at $3.99, i reckon its the first app i'll pay for

Here (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287479962&mt=8).

silverdreamer
18th August 2008, 09:21 AM
the lovely alaero just pointed out the new app MobileChat for iPhone. it supports all the bigguns, and will support push notifications when Apple switch them on.

at $3.99, i reckon its the first app i'll pay for

Here (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287479962&mt=8).

You could also try Installing the Transport system through ichat on the Mac, then use Aim, which is free.

Al Aero
18th August 2008, 09:34 AM
if Fulltimecasual is shelling out for it must be good :P

FTC and i have found our little app for tomorrow night's discussion on pie charts!

a.

cmrn
18th August 2008, 10:05 AM
Palringo IM offers all the same features, and all that it costs is a free palringo account (useless, but necessary to make the app function)

andrew.wilson
18th August 2008, 10:19 AM
You could also try Installing the Transport system through ichat on the Mac, then use Aim, which is free.

Does that actually work?

iMic
18th August 2008, 10:27 AM
I'm using Palringo at the moment, be interesting to see how it stacks up to MobileChat. At the moment the two major drawbacks are the requirement / dependency on a Palringo account, and the inability to delete contacts on the go. If MobileChat can handle those, I'll gladly pay the admission fee.

dathnoth
18th August 2008, 10:45 AM
once making the parlingo account and have the app set up, you really don't notice that you have a parlingo account running, so thats not a real bother to me. i think the apple push system is what is going to attract people to the Mobile Chat app when it is all set up.

Galumay
18th August 2008, 12:01 PM
bought, downloaded & using MobileChat, seems to work fine with iChat accounts!

silverdreamer
18th August 2008, 12:04 PM
Does that actually work?

It does, I have all my yahoo/msn/gmail/ichat and Aim contacts functioning on the iPhone through the AIM app, took all of 20 seconds to set up.

You can add/delete contacts on the iPhone as well.

Looks pretty too! :p

sircrumpet
18th August 2008, 12:38 PM
Mobile chat is great when it works, but their servers seem to have been having some growing pains since they launched, though it does seem to be getting slightly better.

twadds
18th August 2008, 01:05 PM
It does, I have all my yahoo/msn/gmail/ichat and Aim contacts functioning on the iPhone through the AIM app, took all of 20 seconds to set up.

You can add/delete contacts on the iPhone as well.

Looks pretty too! :p

Where does one get this Transport system?? Sounds good!

Galumay
18th August 2008, 02:09 PM
one thing i noticed is that it added about 10 random contacts to my buddy list and there doesnt seem to be any way to delete them??

tcn33
18th August 2008, 02:17 PM
Hasn't worked for me since the first time I closed the app. Looks like it will be awesome when it works as advertised, but for now is just occupying space.

silverdreamer
18th August 2008, 05:08 PM
Where does one get this Transport system?? Sounds good!

Have a look here

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/33407-ichat-transports.html