PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Wireless Adsl Connection

Galumay
22nd April 2005, 10:03 PM
hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem, i have a netgear DG834G hooked up via airport to my 15" PB and also via ethernet to my old pc laptop (until i retire it!)

the problem i am having is an irregular loss of wireless connnection to the PB, the other laptop continues to be connected via ethernet, and if i swap the ethernet cable over the pb is instantly connected.

the wireless light on the modem/router doesn't change status, as long as the modem is on, it is green for go!

there is no other factor coincidental with the loss of signal/connection, it appears to be random, doesn't happen some days, more than once other days.

i cannot find a way to re establish connection, when it is connected the connection shows as "netgear" in the dropbox below the airport symbol on the toolbar. when connection is lost 'netgear' is not an option here. if i go network preferences in system preferences, i can select "netgear" as the location and click on apply now - but nothing happens.

if i turn the power off to the modem, and the computers and leave it off for 5 minutes or so, then power up the modem, then the computers it will sometimes connect ok - but it does not always work. eg it dropped out 30mins ago, powered down for 15mins then powered up - nothing, plugged the ethernet in and no worries with that.

it is getting pretty frustrating and i am not sure if it is a computer issue or a modem one. pretty sure it is not the isp given that the cable connection always works.

any ideas??

hawker
22nd April 2005, 11:01 PM
How far away are you from the wireless router?

Do you have any security enabled?

Off the top of my head, I'd say you might have a lose wire in the powerbook!

tempestas
22nd April 2005, 11:14 PM
I'd check all the settings on the Netgear, assuming you can't use the Airport utility to administer it, dig up the manual go to the relevant IP address and log on to the router and make sure all the settings are what they should be.

Else go to the Netgear homepage and make sure you have the most compatible/latest firmware uploaded and then reset/restart it.

The Netgear homepage may also offer advice on the best setup for OSX

Galumay
23rd April 2005, 05:59 AM
thanks guys,

hawker - no security enabled at all, (given my location it is not an issue!)
i lose the connection even when i am right beside the router and signal is full strength.

tempestas, the settings on the modem seem correct, and there is no problem when using the ethernet connection. i am a bit concerned about playing with the firmware having read of the problems people get into when doing so!

fompsweeva
23rd April 2005, 06:53 AM
Do you have one of those wireless TV sender gadgets at all? Sounds exactly like the problem we had at my girlfriends house - the wireless TV unit was interfering with the signal. Switch one unit off, and it worked great.

hawker
23rd April 2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by galamay@Apr 23 2005, 05:59 AM
i lose the connection even when i am right beside the router and signal is full strength.
Sounds like a lose connection or a dodgy setting on the router. Any firmware updates for the router? wirless?

geektechnu
23rd April 2005, 08:44 AM
Do you have one of those wireless TV sender gadgets at all?
Don't forget cordless telephones, microwave ovens... they can affect wireless connection too.

Also check that the antenna connections on all wireless devices.

Check if the problem is the PB or the router. Next time you lose the connection, put the PB to sleep and wake it up straight away. If it reconnects to the network, then its probably an issue with the PB. If the connection is still unavailable it's probably the router.

Firmware updates shouldn't be a drama - make sure you've got the right firmware, make sure you backup your old firmware. Perform updates over the reliable ethernet connection.