PDA

View Full Version : Bad Customer Service

applecollector
14th August 2008, 11:37 PM
Hello all,

I've had this thought for a while now, to create a public awareness thread about certain businesses who are not behaving as they should.
The aim of this thread is to keep it clean, don't abuse a company for no reason otherwise you could get in to trouble over it legally.
The idea behind this is to keep people aware of how they were treaded by a business and what the outcome was, good or bad.
It would be ideal if peoples names are NOT mentioned as well as business names unless necessary, as well any form of contact details.
Edit: I would appreciate it if this were kept open just moderated closely!

I would like to start off with the crappy service i've had from a local and somewhat well known photography company who specialize in events such as school photos and formals.
I had recently gone to a formal on July 3rd here in Sydney and I had gotten my picture with my partner taken professionally, I had trusted this company as I had gotten my old school photos through them. So it being not my formal I was only a guest we had to fill in papers with our address contact details etc. and we received a receipt which contained out client number.
I had waited almost a month before I get a text message from my partner saying that she had received her photo of us, so i thought to myself that mine must be arriving soon.
Prior to that i had sent an email off to them requesting a date when it will arrive, I never got a reply. But remembering what the guy said on the night, that it will be mailed out to me I thought I was in the safe.
So I had waited and waited and waited, I had sent off the second email about 2.5 weeks ago i'm still waiting for a reply, So i thought i would put my foot down a bit and send a strong email requesting someone contact me ASAP in regards to the photo, I received and email back stating that a representative will get in to contact with me as soon as they can. This was now 3 days ago and still no phone call.
This is no way to run a business and am seriously considering reporting them to the fair trading if I can. I had trusted the company to provide me with a professional memory of the night and they have failed to provide it.

My concerns at the moment are,
1. are they deliberately not getting back to me because they have lost my photo?

2. or because they just seriously have very shit customer service and

3. I have my formal coming up next month and I am worried that this company will be the exact same one who will be making the professional photos on the night.

On a side note: I couldn't find any phone number on the receipt or on their web site so that i could give them a call, under their contact us page it only has a email thingy. So my warning to you all is be careful of this company and any others like them, make sure you request a contact number if you don't see one on the receipt. Lucky i guess in my case i haven't paid a cent to them and my partner has her version, but it still isn't the same as i now have to go out and make a re-print.

So anyone else had similar experiences?

Currawong
14th August 2008, 11:49 PM
I think you need to rename the thread, as you aren't naming and shaming the company, an act itself would leave you and us possible legally liable. :)

Jun
14th August 2008, 11:56 PM
Careful there, the way things are with Ozzy law you may be setting yourself up for a defamation case against you.

applecollector
14th August 2008, 11:57 PM
Yea well i'm totally unhappy with the service they have given me. What is there to do other then naming them. Come to think of it isn't there some government web site where you can actually do that?
Edit: I agree with you curra, I've renamed the thread and i'll take out the company name

bartron
15th August 2008, 12:06 AM
Careful there, the way things are with Ozzy law you may be setting yourself up for a defamation case against you.

required reading then :)

Australian Defamation Laws and the Internet (http://www.efa.org.au/Issues/Censor/defamation.html)

applecollector
15th August 2008, 12:09 AM
Well i dont think that is valid there is no company name just what has happened to me. But thanks thats a good site to read through.

Wally
15th August 2008, 12:12 AM
Perhaps check with the Post Office? Things usually get lost in the mail...

Not calling back their customers, that sounds familiar.. A lot of companies fail to do it..

If you can't get in touch with them about it, perhaps you could scan the picture and print it off yourself?

Edit again... : If you can't get in touch with email, then perhaps you should try calling them! :)
Wally

shiznatz
15th August 2008, 12:13 AM
Such a well known company would surely have a listing in the yellow/white pages or a phone number published somewhere (whois records?). Give them a call and state your complaint directly.

applecollector
15th August 2008, 12:17 AM
Hey Wally, That actually has been a common occurrence here to be honest, none the less, I would then like to get it sent out again, which i'd love to do if a bloody representative would get back to me. In regards to your statement i have made several complaints to Australia post about our mail getting "lost" thing is that it's one post man that does both her place and mine as we only live a few street apart. So to be honest this is very fishy to me.
Edit Wally: Nup no phone number on their site believe it or not.

Edit 2: Quick search of yellow pages turned up nothing relevant which is shocking to say the least. What i'll do is called that service where they directly put you though tomorrow morning and hopefully they will be able to find it for me.

Jun
15th August 2008, 01:09 AM
required reading then :)

Australian Defamation Laws and the Internet (http://www.efa.org.au/Issues/Censor/defamation.html)

An excellent read, thank you.

SyncMan
15th August 2008, 06:24 AM
My mother had some bad customer service from a Westpac branch, yet the same inquiry on their banking telephone number had a much better result, proving the branch staff wrong, and therefore the complaint.

trudy
15th August 2008, 09:22 AM
It does get especially frustrating when you can't speak with anyone
and emails aren't responded to.

Recently I bought something from ebay and paid immediately for it, as I always do,
through paypal. Ebay and paypal acknowledged my payment, then the next day
the company acknowledged payment by email saying it would be posted in 24 hours.

A few weeks later I emailed asking if it had been posted. They had two different names and different email addresses so I CC-ed copies to both. No reply. After about 8
emails and a month had gone by I contacted ebay who told me how to find their contact details and to ring them. Then they said to go to the dispute resolution centre and read that.

I couldn't get their phone no. from ebay as the site said I had no current transaction with them.
The dispute resolution centre site said it was no longer operating. More emails and I ring paypal. They suggest I send an email titled dispute - so I do that
and the next day the company had lodged a dispute against me for non payment.

I had sent them copies of all emails confirming payment on the day of purchase, including their own, and did so again. 6 weeks later, about 6 more emailssent and I have just received an email saying they're sorry, payment had been overlooked, and would I like the item, and then another, almost immediately, from a different address, saying it's been posted and please leave feedback when I receive it. I respond to the first asking how long it will take, and no response. Still waiting one week later...

I agree it's important to know that you have access to a phone number, if only to avoid the frustration..and feeling that you're wasting so much time.

Taezar
15th August 2008, 10:10 AM
I think that there will always be exceptions to good Customer Service but on the whole Australian Customer Service is light years ahead of most of the western world. I too have had piss poor CS, but I have also been blown away with excellent CS - but in 99% of cases I have good experiences. It is also how you address the "problem" when dealing with CS - if you immediately say you are stupid and please help my stupidness (not in those exact words but you get the drift), CS will want to help you - and that gives them the feeling of control when you are actually manipulating them. Works a treat. I actually learnt this trick while I was on Exchange over 20 years ago in French speaking Belguim on the border with France. Even though I was fluent in French, my accent was sheit, so I would apologies profusesly for how bad my French was, how embarassing my accent was and how desperately in need of help I was - never failed to get exactly what I wanted.

applecollector
15th August 2008, 10:51 AM
Update: I finally received an email from them today and they are looking in to the problem for me.
Hopefully it'll all be sorted out.

Chr1s
15th August 2008, 11:21 AM
Last night my partner and I decided to take up that "upgrade your movie ticket to Gold Class when you buy a specially marked Magnum ice cream" deal. He bought a couple of Magnums, but noticed that it said on the packaging "please retain this as proof of purchase". He couldn't find clear instructions anywhere on how to register online, so we just kept the packaging and headed off to the movies with our Magnum packets.

We were told, extremely rudely by a snotty little bleached blonde 15 year old (grrr!), that "these packets mean nothing to us, you have to register online". I pointed out the note on the packet, and told the sales staff there was no "special code" to enter online anywhere on the pack. The sales girl said "well obviously SOMEONE has worked this process out, because we don't do anything with these packets" and then threw the packet back at us. She summoned the manager (without us having asked her to) but told us "he's not going to help you".

The manager comes along, and true to the sales girl's attitude, doesn't help us at all. My partner asked if they had access to simply register the packets online for us then and there. Apparently the cinema doesn't have access to the internet. Ridiculous.

They sent us packing.

I was so furious after we left. Fair enough if we hadn't done the right thing, but it wasn't clearly advertised anywhere that this was the process, and they didn't even so much as OFFER to help. And I'm surprised that the cinemas aren't doing more to retain their customers, considering more and more people will just download whatever they want to see.

Worst customer service EVER.