PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Mount .dmg Without Disk Copy ?

joelight
22nd April 2005, 12:24 PM
Its all rather baffling but after installing and using for a few days 10.3.0, I decided to upgrade slowly so I successfully downloaded and installed 10.3.1. Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to use Disk Copy.....aghast.......it wasn't there ???

What do I do now ?

Surely it should be there, somewhere ?

I've already run verify permissions and repair permissions several times from my other disk ! What happened ? Where did it go ?

Yes it was there before the upgrade since I used several times to unpack some freeware.

MightyAtom
22nd April 2005, 12:39 PM
Disk Copy is a part of Disk Utility in 10.3.

purana
22nd April 2005, 01:01 PM
As MightyAtom said, Disk Copy is no more.. its part of the whiz bang Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities.

Disk Utility is a sweet app ;)

joelight
23rd April 2005, 08:11 PM
Well thanks but I am still unable to get the files out of .dmg. I was kind of hoping someone might elucidate how I may overcome this dilemna ???

soul assasin
23rd April 2005, 08:21 PM
Open the .dmg with Disk Utility (located under utilities).

To do this you can:
a ) Go into Disk Utility then select open from the Images menu.
b ) Set the .dmg to open with Disk Utility (command 'i' then select open with and choose Disk Utility.) Selecting Change all should ensure that all .dmg's are opened with Disk Utility in the future.

Edit: Fixed the 'b' smiley by adding space.

macmate
23rd April 2005, 09:53 PM
toast will do it too

purana
23rd April 2005, 10:09 PM
Clicking on the dmg file itself, should result in the loopback mounting of the image (and then a window pops up showing u the volume (dmg mounted) and the files inside it)

feeze
23rd April 2005, 10:21 PM
Disk copy still exists under Applications (Mac OS 9) -> Utilities -> Disk copy, but as others have said Disk Utility will do all this as well.

Like Iodine said, the Finder will mount .dmg files for you and treat it just like anyother drive.

With Mac OS X, if you are unsure how to open a file, just double click it. If OS X cannot find the approiate app it will ask you to choose one.