PDA

View Full Version : Imac G4 And Powerbook Ram Swappable?

fompsweeva
22nd April 2005, 08:44 AM
Hey,

I'm getting an iMac G4 tomorrow and I just realised that both use the 200 pin SODIMM 2700 ram.

My question is, I have a removeable 1 gig chip in my powerbook. Can I remove the ram from the powerbook and put it in the iMac, and use the stock ram from the iMac in the powerbook.

So the setup would go from

Powerbook (256 built in + 1x 1gig RAM module)
iMac (512 ram module)

to:

Powerbook (256 built in + 512 from imac)
Imac (1 gig from Powerbook)

Thanks
-Mike

OziMac
22nd April 2005, 09:06 AM
Apparently you can - but try it and see what happens :)

hawker
22nd April 2005, 09:17 AM
you should have no problems. However, I would wait for a response from MacMate personally...

*waiting*

Ric?................

fompsweeva
22nd April 2005, 09:21 AM
Awesome. :D

My only worry is accessing the 'stock' slot in the iMac... as 1 gig is the max ram available, I'm guessing it'd have to go into that spot, and not the 'user' slot.

WonderBoy
22nd April 2005, 01:47 PM
Yes, that will work.

fompsweeva
25th April 2005, 07:41 AM
Yo,

If I put the 1 gig in the spare ram slot, it will bring the machine to 1.25 gigs of ram - which the iMac doesn't support. Will it just ignore the excess RAM?

Cheers
-Mike

mvjs
25th April 2005, 07:51 AM
I dought you could, ones a desktop, which would use desktop ram, and ones a laptop with uses smaller laptop ram, asuming that apple use desktop and laptop ram.

But give it a try, and good luck on opening a powerbook. Are you getting an imac g4 or the new g5?

fompsweeva
25th April 2005, 08:00 AM
They DO use the same ram.

I now have a Powerbook G4 and an iMac G4 17".

LCGuy
25th April 2005, 02:28 PM
There's no reason as to why it wouldn't work. The "user" slot in the bottom of the iMac takes the same SO-DIMMs as your PowerBook. Its the "service" slot that takes standard desktop style DIMMs.

fompsweeva
25th April 2005, 03:36 PM
Okay - so does anyone know if I install ram in excess of what the computer supports, will it still work, and just ignore the extra...

LCGuy
25th April 2005, 10:08 PM
Don't quote me on this, but i don't think it'll boot. You can try it though and see what happens...the worst thing that'll happen is that it won't boot until you remove some RAM. :)

WonderBoy
26th April 2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by fompsweeva@Apr 25 2005, 03:36 PM
Okay - so does anyone know if I install ram in excess of what the computer supports, will it still work, and just ignore the extra...
The Mac should boot fine and just show up as what ever the maximum RAM is that it supports.

jobe
26th April 2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by WonderBoy@Apr 26 2005, 01:19 PM
The Mac should boot fine and just show up as what ever the maximum RAM is that it supports.
that is unless it doesn't supports a higher density which I think may be the downfall. From what I gather, the iMacs support a max density of 256mbit which infact rules out even some 512mb modules (mainly the single sided ones).

This is taken from Apple's developer section on their iMacs and is the same for all iMac models that accept DDR as far as I can see.

Memory: The computer comes with 256 MB of DDR333 SDRAM installed in an internal 184-pin DIMM expansion slot, with a build-to-order option of 512 MB. A second user-accessible slot accepts an SO-DIMM with up to 512 MB. The maximum supported memory is 1 GB. For more information, see “System RAM”.

You are further limited by the height of the So-DIMM. Some larger sized (MBs) modules are up to 2inches high however the iMacs only support 1" or 1.5". I have read a bit of some 1gb low density modules being made, but they are rather expensive. I guess you can always give it a go and the worst that could happen is you have to put the ram back in your powerbook.

schmuppet
7th May 2005, 11:29 PM
The internal slot in an iMac G4 takes a full-sized DIMM, while the user-serviceable one takes an SO-DIMM (laptop ram) sized part. I know at least the first gen were like this anyway.