PDA

View Full Version : My Fingerworks Good.

House
22nd April 2005, 02:57 AM
FingerWorks MacNTouch (http://www.fingerworks.com/MacNTouch_product.html)

Who's seen this? It's a replacement keyboard for our laptops with a non-mechanical touch sensitive panel similar to our mouse pads or iPod controls.

I've never seen anything like it before, just wondering if anybody's shelled out the US$259+p&h (AS IF!), knows anyone who has (not likely), or seen reviews of this anywhere online.

Going to a mousepad-like surface means a lot of flexibility in the drivers. Stuff like guestures and hotspots should only be the begining of the coolness... how about integrating graphics tablet functionality? Anyone got any other ideas?

I'm fairly certain it's entirely flat and what look like bumps and contours are just shading, so it's just a big touch sensitive slab that could be printed with any layout. (They do DVORAKs too)

http://www.fingerworks.com/images/Al_12_MacNTouch/Al_12_TopView_lg.gif

Edit: Added Image.

fompsweeva
22nd April 2005, 06:51 AM
I have to say that looks like a real pain to use!

Currawong
22nd April 2005, 07:22 AM
That's certainly a very funky ergo keyboard. Wouldn't be any harder to get used to than a regular ergonomic keyboard.

hawker
22nd April 2005, 07:56 AM
That would really stuff up my typing speed :(

McMullet
22nd April 2005, 10:38 AM
I don't like it. It looks kinda... tacky. The PB loses its elegance with a keyboard like that.

It looks completely flat which would make it quite weird to type on. Any manufacturer can make a flat keyboard but there are a couple of reasons they don't. One of them is that it doesn't allow for satisfactory feedback. You want to know that when you think you're pressing a key, that you are indeed actually pressing it. That is why keyboards are the way they are now and the reason they are not silent... which is also possible.

hawker
22nd April 2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 22 2005, 04:09 PM
I would hate to have that 'Delete' button where it is now. I would be pressing it a lot thinking it was 'Space'.
True. My OS would never be the same again - Deleted files all over the place...