PDA

View Full Version : Where's My 9700?

lupine
21st April 2005, 10:51 PM
I've been relearning OpenGL again recently on my Rev D 17" powerbook, and have noticed something rather strange with the reported hardware configuration. Despite what Apple claim (http://www.apple.com.au/powerbook/specs.html), it appears that I have an ATI 9600 XT, rather than an ATI 9700, inside my machine. I've had a quick look, and it appears that the 9600 XT does lack a few of the features of the 9700 (half the number of pixel units, and half the memory bus width, for example).

I'm not exactly concerned, as I'm not doing anything taxing with the hardware, but it seems a little strange to advertise the system with a different hardware configuration than it ships with. The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps the drivers are reporting the wrong driver string ("ATI Radeon 9600 XT OpenGL Engine"), but it doesn't explain the hardware name difference inside System Profile (RV360 for 9600 XT, and I'm guessing RV300 for 9700).

If you'd like to see for yourself, you can have a look in System Profile, or try the Carbon OpenGL sample from http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Carb...bon_OpenGL.html (http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Carbon_OpenGL/Carbon_OpenGL.html).

I'd be curious to see what other revision C and D users get from this. Have we all been diddled? Or am I just being pedantic?

bonsai
21st April 2005, 10:56 PM
IIRC- Ati's support for mobile chipsets has been somewhat limited, as such they would use driver id strings of similar mobile gpu's to save time. You do have a 9700 in your PB, perhaps with the next ATI driver update it will be reported correctly.

jobe
22nd April 2005, 12:10 AM
bonsai is correct. ATI have SHOCKING support for their mobile chips. Infact, you cannot (easily) get drivers from ATI for mobile chipsets. On their site they said simple to get them from the manufacturer.of the laptop.

Also, on my brothers PC laptop, in display settings it reports he has a ATI mobile 9600pro/9700pro. Something like that. However he deffinately has the 9700. I'd assume as bonsai said, that they use the same or very similar drivers and thus to save time ATI don't bother differentiating.

lupine
22nd April 2005, 11:05 PM
I understand what you're saying. My guess for vendor-specific drivers has been that perhaps the OEMs disable or change the external configuration of ATI's hardware, which is unsupported by the standard drivers, but can be implemented in hardware-specific drivers through collaboration between the OEM and ATI.

The part which "concerned" me the most was the details in System Profile. I'd assume that these would be straight lookups over PCI/AGP for vendor details and such, and wouldn't go through the drivers. So when the system reports it as a "ATY,RV360M11", I see this as being a 9600 XT, which isn't the 9700 that's advertised. However, it may just be the case that this is being reported by the ATI driver after all. But why the drivers would pretend to be a newer version, when the 9700 was released before the 9600 XT, and would presumably have better driver support than a newer chip...

That's enough paranoia for one evening. Back to fighting with Xcode I go...

bonsai
22nd April 2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by lupine@Apr 22 2005, 11:05 PM
I understand what you're saying. My guess for vendor-specific drivers has been that perhaps the OEMs disable or change the external configuration of ATI's hardware, which is unsupported by the standard drivers, but can be implemented in hardware-specific drivers through collaboration between the OEM and ATI.

The part which "concerned" me the most was the details in System Profile. I'd assume that these would be straight lookups over PCI/AGP for vendor details and such, and wouldn't go through the drivers. So when the system reports it as a "ATY,RV360M11", I see this as being a 9600 XT, which isn't the 9700 that's advertised. However, it may just be the case that this is being reported by the ATI driver after all. But why the drivers would pretend to be a newer version, when the 9700 was released before the 9600 XT, and would presumably have better driver support than a newer chip...

That's enough paranoia for one evening. Back to fighting with Xcode I go...
It's really nothing to worry about think of it as a typo in a book. Your 9700 is running properly, even if it thinks its a 9600xt *raises fist at ATI's drivers*. You still have all the features that you would have with a 9700.