PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook, Or Presario...

waynie
21st April 2005, 09:33 PM
Ok, so I know posting this to an Apple community will receive lots of pro-aple support, but I'm looking for advice...

Should I buy a PowerBook G4, or a Compaq Presario B3821?

It's time to upgrade my poor little lappy. Currently I have an older Compaq Presario that, well, just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm currently running a mixed platform (well, an older iMac and a newish WinXp box) so buying a laptop on either platform would be of benefit to me.

I've weighed up the pros and cons of both platforms, and seriously can't decide. I thought if I put my thoughts in this forum, then maybe somebody might think of something I've missed? To cut this rant short, I can't make a decision, someone make it for me.. LOL

What I'm going to be using the laptop for is primarily work use. My work in Windows XP based, and runs Office 2003. I do use MS Access and VBA a lot, therefore Office 2003 for XP would be of benefit, but I have that on the desktop so it isn't crucial. The secondary use is pleasure, but I already know my favourite game (World of Warcraft) will run on either laptop below. Essentially, both laptops are great builds, both will run the software I have. But is there something I'm not thinking of... besides the better UI?

Here's the specs of what I'm thinking of buying (forgive the image, no idea how to do a table in here).

http://users.bigpond.net.au/waynie/comparisontable.jpg

So, what do you think?

And no this isn't a bragging post, otherwise I'd be talking about the 17" models... LOL.. I'm seriously torn here!!!

the_OM
21st April 2005, 09:38 PM
Okay well if you want the best OS around, then the powerbook. Its a mac site, so I can't think of anyone who'll tell you to get the presario.

You can get macintosh versions of Word, Excel and powerpoint. As for Access, well we have filemaker pro 7. Easily a better database application than Access.

Good luck with your purchase. And in advance I'd like to welcome you to the world of Macintosh :)

titan44
21st April 2005, 09:41 PM
go the mac, yuo know you want to, thats why your posting on an pro-apple site, look at the future of it, a mac is going to last you a lot longer than a compaq.

king89
21st April 2005, 09:46 PM
I just wonder, if you are going to do this via salary sacrifice or just a private sale? Just to see if you can get the education discount and opt for a better video card in the powerbook (for Warcraft of course).

The powerbook also has the sudden motion sensor, to protect your data incase of a fall (not your laptop I'm afraid). The powerbook also has speakers that you actually don't mind listening too, for music and movies (probably not games due to lack of sub). The looks of the powerbook is always a plus.

But as the_OM said, come to a Apple forum, expect one sided responses. Saying that, I moved to a Powerbook about 11 months ago (has it been that long?) and have never looked back.

waynie
21st April 2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah I admit I want to go mac.. LOL..

But the compaq on paper seems to have better specs for the same price. Anyone out there have an intimate knowledge of the two diferent sets of hardware and can tell me the stuff that compaq/apple arent telling?

For example, how does a 1.67GHZ PowerPC compare to a 1.8GHz Intel Pentium M? Does one or the other have a larger internal bus, or quicker I/O than the other that will give that little performance boost?

The only downside on the Mac side is that I dont currently have Office for Mac, so there's another additional cost... and I do definately need to stay 100% compatible with work...

Edit: Oh, and the purchase will definately be salary sacrifice! *mumbles about the ATO*

purana
21st April 2005, 09:51 PM
Powerbook..

:) although I sold my wifes notebook (compaq presario) so she too could get a powerbook... so don't take my word.. its merely that I favour osx... cause umm it rocks

entropy
21st April 2005, 09:58 PM
If you are using either for mainly office applications and surfing the web etc you won't notice any speed difference, but with the extra 512 Mb ram the compaq is probably faster. try and get the edu discount on the pbook and use the savings to up the ram (3rd party), or if you need it, the video card. The only reason I think you would need the extra video ram would be games, and lets face it, if games are your bag you should seriously look at the compaq.
OTOH, if you travel a lot you get better battery life out of the pbook. I think pbooks operate also faster on battery too, although i am willing to be corrected on that one.

If I was you I would check out these puppies side by side and make your decision. We all know which will win on looks.

BTW you are one lucky bastard to have this sort of moolah to lash out on a laptop.

purana
21st April 2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by waynie@Apr 21 2005, 09:48 PM
For example, how does a 1.67GHZ PowerPC compare to a 1.8GHz Intel Pentium M? Does one or the other have a larger internal bus, or quicker I/O than the other that will give that little performance boost?
Thats like comparing Apples and Oranges.. you can't compare... 2 different types of processors and what not.. no simple way to really compare.. they run different platforms of operating system.

king89
21st April 2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by waynie@Apr 21 2005, 09:48 PM
But the compaq on paper seems to have better specs for the same price. Anyone out there have an intimate knowledge of the two diferent sets of hardware and can tell me the stuff that compaq/apple arent telling?

The only downside on the Mac side is that I dont currently have Office for Mac, so there's another additional cost... and I do definately need to stay 100% compatible with work...
For what you wanted to be the laptop, do you really think that little bit of performance is going to matter that much? I am not suggesting that G4 is slower then the PM, I'm just saying you should really look at which platform you are going to be most productive on. Personally, I can do a lot more, more efficiently on OSX then on XP any day.

And don't forget, with the Powerbook you also get iLife 05'. You may think that you won't use it, but wait until you start using it and afterwards you will think how you lived without it before.

One more thing, the back lit keyboard is a very nice feature that the Compaq doesn't have.

Ozi
21st April 2005, 10:15 PM
haha well, if you want an unbiased opinion, I suggest that you flip a coin 10 million times and go with the result of that. More heads = powerbook, more tails = presario. There is no hope in hell of us giving you an objective, unbiased opinion. :D

I would however recommend the powerbook, of course. It is teh l337.

Phillip
21st April 2005, 10:19 PM
If your work is gonna be Windows XP based, and you use a lot of Office and Access, get the a PC notebook, but not this compaq cause it has a crap screen. ;)

If you want a Mac cause you wanna try something new, and just want it for the apps, the OS and the cool hardware, get a cheap notebook from Dell for work and get yourself a Mac (a 12" Powerbook, or iMac, or Mac mini). ;) You get the best of both worlds this way.

Ozi
21st April 2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 21 2005, 10:19 PM
If your work is gonna be Windows XP based, and you use a lot of Office and Access, get the a PC notebook, but not this compaq cause it has a crap screen. ;)
well as the latest version of Microsoft Office (2004) is completely seamless in its integration with PC versions, this statement doesn't really hold up. :D

A document created on any PC with any version of Word will work with Office 2004:Mac, and any document made with Office 2004:Mac will work fine on a PC.

Phillip
21st April 2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Apr 21 2005, 10:30 PM
well as the latest version of Microsoft Office (2004) is completely seamless in its integration with PC versions, this statement doesn't really hold up. :D

A document created on any PC with any version of Word will work with Office 2004:Mac, and any document made with Office 2004:Mac will work fine on a PC.
Not having access to Access is gonna be a problem :P

decryption
21st April 2005, 11:19 PM
Yeah, if your work requires you to use Access, I suggest getting a Windows laptop. Or, try and convert the Access database to MySQL or FileMaker or something :P

Get the new IBM T series... magnesium alloy construction, very nice and strong. Reasonably priced too :)

Rayd
21st April 2005, 11:35 PM
go the powerbook it will definatly last longer... the peecee will end up in the bin..

darknight84
21st April 2005, 11:37 PM
What a silly thing to do and post whether or not to go for a Compaq or Powerbook on THIS SITE! :unsure:

Currawong
22nd April 2005, 08:07 AM
If you have to use Access, then you're stuck with getting a PC, as there is no way to make use of those databases on a Mac. However, the Mac is going to hold its value and giong to be a better machine overall due to the architecture and OS.

Comparing speeds is redundant - the Apple is going to be faster with anything that uses Altivec, such as video, audio and graphics applications - "Your mileage may vary".

At my company, I know if I had to get a laptop, it would have to be PC as that is what the company supports. However, it would strictly only be used inside the company intranet for company business only.

BiRDBRAiN
22nd April 2005, 08:48 AM
I have one site that I work at that I need to use MS Access, I either remote desktop to another machine or run it through VPC, which actually runs nicely, mind you I am running 1GB of memory so that is making a marked difference.

Running MS Office for Mac has made the switch really easy for me and everything else that I need is *nix based anyway so I love my 15" powerbook :thumbup:

macmate
22nd April 2005, 08:51 AM
a few other things that tip the scale to the mac, the mac has bluetooth built in and backlit keyboard and the screen is the best in its size. Its also thinner. Also think about the software it comes with. think about the fact you don't have to buy virus software and update it every year and that you don't have to buy firewall software because the mac comes with it. also think about the fact you will be getting tiger with it. You get iLife witch the PC has no match for. And you failed to mention if the PC has a DVD burner? how about two finger scrolling? how about dual wireless antennas for better wireless reception?

but i think the most convincing arguement to go the mac is that when it comes to support you won't find a better bunch than us to help you out with all your issues :)

also...... you don't want it to come with 2 x 512mb ram anyway because you want to put a 1GB chip in your powerbook to take it to 1.5GB ram and you would be waisting one of the 512mb chips in the PC if you did that.

also with the specs of longhorn you will really need to get a new computer or upgrade that pc to 2GB ram just to get it running "kinda ok"

Ric

marc
22nd April 2005, 09:27 AM
Also... iWork. I'm so happy I don't have to use Word and Powerpoint now. Keynote is completely amazing.

pipsqeek
22nd April 2005, 10:23 AM
2.0Ah?

That "laptop" wouldn't last 10 mins.. must be a misprint.

I'd still go the Mac. You won't have to spend your time administrating the system... maintaining virus defs, updating firewalls, spyware, etc.

You can sit in front of your mac and actually start using it rather then make sure nothing is infected.

OS X doesn't get bloated after a while of installing and uninstalling appllications. Thus requiring you to reinstall the OS, or severly hack around the registry.

pipsqeek

gmask1
22nd April 2005, 10:31 AM
I gotta admit, it's great to be able to read balanced opinions, and not two pages of 'MAC IS L337!' rubbish!

If I was buying a work laptop, I'd buy Wintel, as the business environment dictates it. I have too many apps that only run in Windows (OT, does anyone know of a Mac version or lookalike for Toad, the Oracle db tool?). Even our web-client based tools are hard-keyed to only run in the real IE6, even if we alter Firefox or IE inside of Windows Mobile to present as IE6.

If I was buying a personal laptop, I'd buy (and did buy) a Powerbook. I'm simply not buying a laptop to play games - otherwise I'd buy a PC desktop or console - and OSX is the only well-supported-commercially environment that gives me Unix.

Good luck either way!

BiRDBRAiN
22nd April 2005, 10:40 AM
Hardcoded to only run on IE6!! Oh man they are in their own little world! :blink:

gmask1
22nd April 2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by BiRDBRAiN@Apr 22 2005, 10:40 AM
Hardcoded to only run on IE6!! Oh man they are in their own little world! :blink:
We think that it's a java library thing, and it drives us nuts. The app is drop-down menu driven, and it just won't render the drop down menus in any browser other than IE6. Of course, there is a courtesy error message if a browser presents with a different name.

We wanted to deploy PDAs onto the warehouse floor, but it won't even recognize IE on the Windows Mobile.

macmate
22nd April 2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by gmask1@Apr 22 2005, 11:01 AM
We think that it's a java library thing, and it drives us nuts. The app is drop-down menu driven, and it just won't render the drop down menus in any browser other than IE6. Of course, there is a courtesy error message if a browser presents with a different name.

We wanted to deploy PDAs onto the warehouse floor, but it won't even recognize IE on the Windows Mobile.
and this is a perfect example as to why i have no respect for microsoft. right hand doesn't talk to the left.