PDA

View Full Version : Channel 7 should be shot.

The Fluffy Duck
8th August 2008, 11:59 PM
Personally I cant stand the Olympics. But putting ads in the middle of the Chinese national anthem and every time fireworks are on is indefensible. Then they wonder why people arnt watching TV anymore.

China=Fireworks that makes perfect sence to put an ad

STK
9th August 2008, 12:01 AM
Did anybody else hear these guys speaking on like a walkie talkie at the start?

cosmichobo
9th August 2008, 12:03 AM
I thought they'd said it would be ad free...

And yep - heard the walkies :)

timothy
9th August 2008, 12:11 AM
Massive let down so far...

trudy
9th August 2008, 12:12 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about Tibet:

"We sent the PM a copy of the ad, and he has pledged to raise human rights issues in Beijing. We know this sort of diplomacy works - only last week the PM condemned the media censorship around the Olympics - and the Chinese Government eased the restrictions.

But there is one hurdle left to clear - the Seven Network, in response to the media interest our ad has generated is now denying the fact that we've booked the ad space. Unfortunately for them we have on our desks a confirmed booking sheet suggesting otherwise!"

Whether or not Channel 7 decide to uphold the values of free speech, you can watch the ad for yourself here:

GetUp! Campaign Actions (http://www.getup.org.au/campaign/OlympicSilenceIsNotGolden)

morn
9th August 2008, 06:01 AM
Personally I cant stand the Olympics. But putting ads in the middle of the Chinese national anthem and every time fireworks are on is indefensible. Then they wonder why people arnt watching TV anymore.

Really? That's really what bothers you? When this whole show is really just about demonstrating the success of the communist party to their own citizens and showing to the world the rising of China.

Madone
9th August 2008, 07:58 AM
Really? That's really what bothers you? When this whole show is really just about demonstrating the success of the communist party to their own citizens and showing to the world the rising of China.

Whatever it's about, there are written and unwritten rules about the display of media and ads, and Australian TV is poor, it's not just the inappropriateness, but also the sloppy way of editing.

Goodbye
9th August 2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I thought it was VERY poor form too. But hey, money rules right?

icant
9th August 2008, 09:31 AM
Just on news.com.au. For a sec I thought a forum member had carried out the OP's wishes:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5762/zz6fea9ec7ji4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By g7mnaux (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/g7mnaux)

coljac
9th August 2008, 12:39 PM
I just wanted to watch the ceremony - which was beautiful - without those two embarassing idiots yammering.

"Dance of the Lost Contact Lens." How freaking cringe-inducing.

edit: A also like him pointing out, tactfully, that Japan invaded China. Like we didn't know?

Kensei
9th August 2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah agreed bad bad placement of ads.

Was indeed a beautiful ceremony. The soldiers flying up the flags was a dictatorship like with the goose stepping but all in all it was very well done.

Congrats to the Chinese people. KUDOS. (not to the Chinese government tho)

adamd
9th August 2008, 02:51 PM
Just on news.com.au. For a sec I thought a forum member had carried out the OP's wishes:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5762/zz6fea9ec7ji4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By g7mnaux (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/g7mnaux)

That is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

EDIT: Oh yer, I'll be on YouTubing and watching some FoxTel for the Olympic period.

Lutze
9th August 2008, 03:43 PM
If you really want bad placement of adverts you need to watch F1 in the UK last year, ITV kept going to adverts in the last lap of the race.

PatrickH
9th August 2008, 03:57 PM
That is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

I don't mean to be a killjoy or anything, but laughing at something like this is really insensitive.

adamd
9th August 2008, 04:19 PM
I don't mean to be a killjoy or anything, but laughing at something like this is really insensitive.

I was laughing at the cross-reference between the title of the story, and this thread. No laughing at the actual article itself.

Tragedies
9th August 2008, 08:04 PM
I was also wondering why the sounded so soft and walkie talkie like throughout the coverage, you could barely hear them explaining, whenever they tried too.

macaholic
9th August 2008, 09:14 PM
I think someone will get their a--- kicked over the pathetic coverage, being the audio, the ads, etc.

PatrickH
9th August 2008, 09:33 PM
I think someone will get their a--- kicked over the pathetic coverage, being the audio, the ads, etc.

I'm not defending the actions done by seven, but considering the type of event they covered, who the world of commercial television not have ads?

Seven's only main revenue is advertising, right? Seven was doing what they had to do because they were penetrating a very large audience, but honestly, there were too many ads.

But hey, that's the reality we live in. Foxtel doesn't need to do as many, if not any ads at all because they're covered by the subscriptions made to their service. The FTA channels don't have that luxury.

lavo
10th August 2008, 12:00 AM
I want to know why seven didn't have a on screen translation of the two Chinese speeches? It's not if they would not have been written on the fly!

Jun
10th August 2008, 12:20 AM
also like him pointing out, tactfully, that Japan invaded China. Like we didn't know?

What, no mention of China invading Tibet? I'm shocked!

macsyd
10th August 2008, 01:40 AM
Dont forget SBS is covering the games also. If you're sick of swimming, switch over and you'll see more of the other sports. Also in HD goodness, and a few less ads.

grorr76
10th August 2008, 08:13 AM
Dont forget SBS is covering the games also. If you're sick of swimming, switch over and you'll see more of the other sports. Also in HD goodness, and a few less ads.

definitely not hd, its upressed sd showing on there hd channel. just switch between 7hd and sbshd and its so obvious.

grorr76
10th August 2008, 08:16 AM

I have a feeling that was the standard audio feed all the networks had. channel seven only took a feed they were given.

aafuss
10th August 2008, 12:45 PM
I agree-some events should be on 7 (womens road race),someone posted a lnk to site with nbc links on the yahoo7 messageboard. That's stupid-NBC 's US-only videos.

aafuss
10th August 2008, 12:46 PM
And the closed captioning-horrendous, some words were misspelt (was someone at Austext asleep during the opening ceremony or forget to check with a dictionary.)

doughnut
10th August 2008, 01:16 PM
They needed the ads in the opening ceremony to pay for the pointless commentators.

Kensei
10th August 2008, 02:32 PM
What, no mention of China invading Tibet? I'm shocked!

Hehe he could have gone more into it I guess. Before world world war 2 the west, japan and russia all carved up and owned China and were their colonial masters! woot but haven't they come a long way. hehe.

Also,he did say: yes the Mongolian delegation only have 2 competitors. Hundreds of years ago they built the Great Wall to keep them out but here they are in China.

Mackavaney is such a tosser. Each one of these weird off comments were his. :p

Jun
10th August 2008, 05:41 PM
Hundreds of years ago they built the Great Wall to keep them out

That's been proven to be fiction. The reason it was built was to stop illegal trade between outlying Chinese farms and villages and the roaming Mongols - the Chinese rulers wanted it all to themselves and wouldn't trade with the Mongols - despite the Mongols offering skins, textiles, rice and women. If the wall had not been built and the Mongols not excluded from trade they never would have become so hostile towards the Chinese later on.

By the way, the Great Wall dates back only to the fifteenth century at the earliest, not thousands of years as the Chinese claim.

Kensei
10th August 2008, 05:54 PM
That's been proven to be fiction. The reason it was built was to stop illegal trade between outlying Chinese farms and villages and the roaming Mongols - the Chinese rulers wanted it all to themselves and wouldn't trade with the Mongols - despite the Mongols offering skins, textiles, rice and women. If the wall had not been built and the Mongols not excluded from trade they never would have become so hostile towards the Chinese later on.

By the way, the Great Wall dates back only to the fifteenth century at the earliest, not thousands of years as the Chinese claim.

fC9DPSu0tYk

Haha yeah i was just commenting on the ludicrousness of the statement.

The comment regarding the Japanese invading can be attributed to the Mongolians too. Genghis Khan and after his death, Kublai Khan, invaded and conquered China and founded the Yuan Dynasty in 1271.

Jun
11th August 2008, 11:25 AM
fC9DPSu0tYk

Haha yeah i was just commenting on the ludicrousness of the statement.

Yes. Nice movie clip.

Bart Smastard
11th August 2008, 04:18 PM
The only good thing about the ads Seven put at stupid places throughout the Opening Ceremony was the 1 minute relief my plasma screen got from the extra-brightened-especially-for-the-Olympics logo.

I'm glad I'm not watching many events otherwise I'd have that stupid thing permanently etched into the screen - and possibly my retinas.

Dear Channel 7, you suck!!! :p

Tiprya
12th August 2008, 08:14 PM
Ok - can anyone help me out?

I want to find out what Channel 7 are actually showing of the olympics tonight

SBS has it laid out in a really obvious and easy to find place

I cannot for the life of me find out what channel 7 are playing

I've got a family member competing, so I'd like to know if its going to be on...

Thanks