PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Battery Burglar

OneShow
8th August 2008, 09:37 AM
Can anyone shed any light onto the fact that I can go to sleep with half of my battery charged and wake up with no battery at all - not even enough to turn it on.

The only thing that would be running (to my knowledge would be email, which is set to check only every 30 minutes, and push calendar/notes.

the_doctor
8th August 2008, 09:42 AM
Can anyone shed any light onto the fact that I can go to sleep with half of my battery charged and wake up with no battery at all - not even enough to turn it on.

The only thing that would be running (to my knowledge would be email, which is set to check only every 30 minutes, and push calendar/notes.

Is Wifi on? 3G? Bluetooth? Do you get low reception (ie: Frequent switching between 3G and GSM)?

Erwin
8th August 2008, 09:43 AM
The push would do it. Why not do a trial - switch off push overnight (why have it on when you are sleeping) and see if that helps battery life.

Bart Smastard
8th August 2008, 09:46 AM
Deleted. This is an iPhone battery problem not a laptop battery problem as I first thought :o

the_doctor
8th August 2008, 09:48 AM
Do I under stand this correctly: You expect a half charged laptop battery to last through the night; 8 hours or so?

I think the best you could get out any laptop battery (except maybe the latest NetBooks running on Intal Atom CPU's with a 6 cell battery) is 4-5 hours.

I think the OP was refering to his iPhone.

OneShow
8th August 2008, 09:48 AM
Wifi is on. Bluetooth is off. Reception is good...4 to 5 bars.

Bart Smastard
8th August 2008, 09:50 AM
I think the OP was refering to his iPhone.

Egg and my face are in perfect alignment :)

OneShow
8th August 2008, 09:51 AM
I was referring to my iPhone....my half charged laptop has some charge left in it when I leave it closed/in sleep mode overnight as I hope it would.

OneShow
8th August 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Erwin. I will give it a go.

Does push still work in the background even if changes to calendars etc are not being made?

I made a suggestion in the Apple iPhone Feedback section requesting a "while I am sleeping" mode for the iPhone. e.g. between 1am and 7am turn off mail and push.

the_doctor
8th August 2008, 10:00 AM
Egg and my face are in perfect alignment :)

:) Happens to me all the time. It is better than your foot and mouth being in perfect alignment :)

Erwin
8th August 2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Erwin. I will give it a go.

Does push still work in the background even if changes to calendars etc are not being made?

I made a suggestion in the Apple iPhone Feedback section requesting a "while I am sleeping" mode for the iPhone. e.g. between 1am and 7am turn off mail and push.

Let me rephrase - fetch every 30 minutes is a manual process - that will happen no matter what. I suspect that is your batter killer, not push itself. Push should only occur when things are updated.

For example, I set my email to MANUAL, not fetch - this means email only refreshes when I open the email app. I have Calendar and Contacts on push, and overnight, hardly any battery is used up by me. I have both wifi and 3G on overnight.

drewbles
8th August 2008, 10:05 AM
Push uses a lot of juice. It maintains a constant connection to the server. It's based on IMAP-idle. There's basically a signally connection that is maintained to the server, and when new email is received the server advises the remote end and pushes the email accordingly.

This in itself will guzzle juice. I've seen it decimate my battery in one day, as have several of my friends. It's a nice way to make sure you have to charge daily :P

dathnoth
8th August 2008, 10:10 AM
WiFi is switched off when iphone is asleep. Not sure about 3G though

mac_man_luke
8th August 2008, 11:04 AM
my iphone last 2 days easy with exchange push

Wifi switches off when the phone is asleep so it uses 3G/GPRS for push

fetch email is really battery draining though

mallo
8th August 2008, 11:14 AM
WiFi is switched off when iphone is asleep. Not sure about 3G though

that sounds about right in regard to wifi, or at least it should be....but wouldnt be for 3G, as it needs to remain active in case someone calls you....

Exocet
8th August 2008, 12:28 PM
Why not plug it in overnight?