PDA

View Full Version : Optus Billshock???

hinow2007
7th August 2008, 06:21 PM
Just received my first iPhone bill from Optus and i am close to making it my last. Here are some problems i had (btw i have 2 iphones):
*Charged my excess for data even though I was under my 250MB (said 233MB used)
*Charged for my next months account fees
*Not credited for my cap plan (i did go over for my calls but charged $100 for calls. They only credited $2.33 not $50)

I do have to say that i did go over my data on one account but only by the equivalent of $20 approx.) That is according to the excess on 54MB on my bill and for my iPhone data tracker it has i have gone over by 53MB

Still even though i went over my bill was FAR TOO HIGH

NOT HAPPY OPTUS!!!!

Now i have to cross check every part of my bill (time consuming)

Anyone else suffering the same symptoms???

nando
7th August 2008, 06:27 PM
if you contract says you are allowed for x MBs per month...
then ...take it to them..and argue...you shouldnt pay for ur downloaded and uploading data if you are within your cap..
i mean thats the meaning of "CAP"

reemixx
7th August 2008, 06:27 PM
So you went over your data limit and now you're pissed off because you have to pay more?

You should be cross checking every part of your bill anyway.

By the way, paying one month in advance for your monthly recurring costs for the iPhone is normal. Your last bill after 12 or 24 months will obviously not have the monthly recurring cost since you've already paid it the month before.

If there's something you think is wrong with your billing, you should get in touch with Optus about it.

hinow2007
7th August 2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah i know i posted this in anger some part is my fault but i was wondering if anyone else had a peculiar bill. Just to make sure i wasn't singled out

Stupid me and my anger management issues

macsyd
7th August 2008, 06:35 PM
By the way, paying one month in advance for your monthly recurring costs for the iPhone is normal. Your last bill after 12 or 24 months will obviously not have the monthly recurring cost since you've already paid it the month before.

Be careful on this, the contract might end after 12 or 24 months, but your connection wont.

Reading the terms and conditions helps avoid any bill shock.

Was the bill pro rata for a slice of a month rather than a full month? If so, the cap and data limits would also be pro rata.

AcesHoney
7th August 2008, 06:57 PM
I was told at sign up that I would be charged for the current month and a month in advance on my first bill and that depending on my billing cycle my bill could come anywhere from a week to a month after I signed up.( I still haven't got it yet and signed up on the 11th)

I think most of us will be checking and double checking our first bill

BTW what happened to free data for the first month??

off topic slightly but just wanted to check the accuracy of the iphone data usage, how did it compare to what the optus bill said.

reemixx
7th August 2008, 06:57 PM
Be careful on this, the contract might end after 12 or 24 months, but your connection wont.

Reading the terms and conditions helps avoid any bill shock.

Was the bill pro rata for a slice of a month rather than a full month? If so, the cap and data limits would also be pro rata.

Yes, I know, just trying to put it in simple terms for people to understand this 'paying in advance' business. What they do after their contract ends is up to them. If they continue on, obviously there might still be another recurring monthly cost.

No idea how the Optus plans and caps work. I figured I'd decide whether I wanted to continue on or move to a different plan closer to the date, so never bothered with it. Hell, there might be another iPhone update in a year and we'll all adjust our plans for that one :D

reemixx
7th August 2008, 07:01 PM
what happened to free data for the first month??

Apparently for those of us on a 24 month contract who have unlimited data for the first month, it's still a full month of unlimited data regardless of our billing date. Still, if I were planning to go over my data limit, I'd be phoning Optus just to be 100% sure on this. Dunno about you, but I don't really trust them on their word. Have to ask and re-ask them things just to make sure they get it right. Answers I got from them in emails were vague at best.

wolfie
7th August 2008, 07:03 PM
i just got off he phone with optus regarding my first iphone bill, as i upgraded a previous contract and all the minor details they provide made it hard for me to understand, so i just rang them to go through the bill with them to make sure every charge is as it should be.

turned out all correct, and ive paid my first iphoneand old plan, came to 155 dollars for this month, but from now onwards, itll just be my iphone bills and everything should be dandy after that.

i say, if you dont understand it, or unsure, especially on the first bill ( specially if you upgraded plans ) is to give them a ring and let them explain it all to you.

Heidi-Lee
7th August 2008, 07:10 PM
My bill is wrong. I am well under all my limited ($59 cap + $2 for handset) and I have been charged $152.69. Will be calling Optus tomorrow.

Edit: seems to be that they have charged my handset payments as one lump sum on the first bill - will confirm tomorrow

AcesHoney
7th August 2008, 07:28 PM
Apparently for those of us on a 24 month contract who have unlimited data for the first month, it's still a full month of unlimited data regardless of our billing date. Still, if I were planning to go over my data limit, I'd be phoning Optus just to be 100% sure on this. Dunno about you, but I don't really trust them on their word. Have to ask and re-ask them things just to make sure they get it right. Answers I got from them in emails were vague at best.

I am on 24mth and only up to about 25MB for the month of my 500MB allowance so I think I am safe (assuming that the data usage metre is accurate). I too have called a number of times and have received conflicting information each time I have called, so I figured I would just wait til I got my bill and try to work it out then but in the meantime not go too overboard with calls and data. The emails that I have received from them were not worth the space they took up in my inbox, answered a totally different question to the one that I asked LOL

chaosboi
7th August 2008, 07:56 PM
Joined on July 11 on the $79 cap plan, my bill arrived today $64.57

I'm almost happy, just have to forget the outage.

NathR32
7th August 2008, 07:57 PM
How come your bill is less than your cap amount?

Heidi-Lee
7th August 2008, 08:03 PM
How come your bill is less than your cap amount?

Because the first month is pro rata but how come you didnt get charged the additional month?

pitchdark
7th August 2008, 08:04 PM
I checked my bill online today and noticed that they've charged me for the handset even though I paid for it at the Strathfield store.

I rang Optus and first they told me I should fax them the receipt and that it would be taken off my bill.

Then after putting me on hold they said that it should be sorted by the next bill as it wasn't taken into consideration.

So fingers crossed all is good. The call agent did tell me he would put a note down about the issue and also check for me next month. To see if all is sorted.

Cheers
Andrew

chaosboi
7th August 2008, 08:07 PM
Because the first month is pro rata but how come you didnt get charged the additional month?

No idea...my dates are showing 11 Jul until 3rd August.

WhiteiPhone
7th August 2008, 10:31 PM
everyone getting there bill?
i still dont have mine and i signed up on launch day (:

Shintaro
7th August 2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah mine arrived today, and I am not at all impressed with Optus.
They promised me credit due to the delays on Launch day (we went in at 8am, and I and others were still there until around 12, due to the Optus & Apple issues).

So I check the bill, no credit, call Optus twice, get bloody Philippines accounts people.
Why in hell can't I talk to an Australian, FFS.
All they could tell me is they don't see the paperwork, so have NFI about my supposed credit.
They also suggested i go back to the Apple store, and see if the Optus managers who offered me the credit, are still working there, and speak to them about it.

How in fruck would they remember me after 1 mont has past, and thousands of people signing up to Optus have been through the doors there?

For now, I've used the Optus email inquiry system, lets see how that goes.

Otherwise the bill is fine, no errors, and looks like the data counter on the iPhone is pretty accurate, the bill showed a little less data used than what the iPhone shows.

hinow2007
8th August 2008, 06:59 AM
Yeah mine arrived today, and I am not at all impressed with Optus.
They promised me credit due to the delays on Launch day (we went in at 8am, and I and others were still there until around 12, due to the Optus & Apple issues).

So I check the bill, no credit, call Optus twice, get bloody Philippines accounts people.
Why in hell can't I talk to an Australian, FFS.
All they could tell me is they don't see the paperwork, so have NFI about my supposed credit.
They also suggested i go back to the Apple store, and see if the Optus managers who offered me the credit, are still working there, and speak to them about it.

How in fruck would they remember me after 1 mont has past, and thousands of people signing up to Optus have been through the doors there?

For now, I've used the Optus email inquiry system, lets see how that goes.

Otherwise the bill is fine, no errors, and looks like the data counter on the iPhone is pretty accurate, the bill showed a little less data used than what the iPhone shows.

Did they include things like email, data from apps, etc in your included data???

Wally
8th August 2008, 07:53 AM
I don't think Australians work that late.

Shintaro
8th August 2008, 08:40 AM
The Internet usage section simply shows date-time- Internet - data used- price.
Something like that.

I did call Optarse during Aus work hours :)

nando
8th August 2008, 09:32 AM
I got my first iPhone bill the week following the 11th ...and it was $700~~ but i do remember that always on ur first bill u do pay hips more than normal..
I also pay for my prev cancellation of my previous plan.
so...now..my billing cycle is from 15th to 14th of the next month.
so sometime next week or the week after am expecting my REAL iphone bill....
remember guys...the second bill is the one that really counts..as your default bill...the first one is always more..

AdrianM
8th August 2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks to some previous comments about getting the ring around from Optus call centre (i.e. call your store that you organised the purchase/contract with), I was well armed when I rang Optus on the weekend.

I initially enquired about an iphone via optus' website, they forwarded my details to telechoice, who did everything over the phone, and posted out my iphone a week or so later. When I spoke to the very helpful consultant at telechoice, I mentioned that I wanted an $89 contract, but instead of 24 months, could I have a 12 month contract and pay the $33 per month for the handset. Given I was a long-term customer and had been out of contract for over a year, I said could I get a discount on the handset payment. The guy checked with optus head office and they brought the handset charge down to $20 per month (pretty good, huh - you don't ask, you don't get!).

My bill arrived and they only discounted me $10 and in usual optus fashion, they bill made absolutely NO sense so I rang to clarify the bill, and query the discount. It all was explained quite well by the Philippines consultant (hello Jaycel), however when I queried the $10 discount versus $13 per month, she said I had to contact Telechoice. I told her I refused to, that given I had initially enquired with optus and *they* gave my details to telechoice, who called me, and I never called telechoice, why should it be up to me to follow-up. She put me on hold, tried to call them but couldn't get through, so she spoke to a supervisor who put through a credit of $3 x 24 (not 12 like I was promised, but I wasn't going to remind them) on the spot.

Lesson here, stand your ground. Tell them to call the shop/store, it's their contracts, so it should be their job. Be polite and make a point that you know it's not their fault, but stand your ground. :)

Shintaro
8th August 2008, 12:36 PM
don't take my rant the wrong way, the 2 phillipino people I dealt with were friendly and did try their best.
But they didnt have access to paperwork that was signed by the reps at the Apple store, & their supervisors had no idea how to proceed with it.

It's Optus/Singtel I've got the shits with.

reemixx
8th August 2008, 01:18 PM
I got my first iPhone bill the week following the 11th ...and it was $700~~ but i do remember that always on ur first bill u do pay hips more than normal..
I also pay for my prev cancellation of my previous plan.
so...now..my billing cycle is from 15th to 14th of the next month.
so sometime next week or the week after am expecting my REAL iphone bill....
remember guys...the second bill is the one that really counts..as your default bill...the first one is always more..

This might usually be the case, but you make it sound like your first bill is always more expensive just because that's the way it is, which isn't true. If anyone feels they're getting charged for something they shouldn't be, they should phone their telco and sort it out ASAP.

In the case of the iPhone on an Optus plan, we're paying more on the first bill because of upfront handsent costs (if this is what we have chosen) and the second monthly recurring payment for our plans paid in advance, as well as a portion of our first month (not a full month). If you're paying more because of a previous plan cancellation, then you're likely already aware of that and expecting it on your first bill. But if there's any other charges on there that you don't think are correct, don't be passive about it. Phone Optus to clarify. They'll go through each individual amount on your bill and explain what it is for.

Nolanistic
8th August 2008, 01:50 PM
I got charged for a second month of services. What on earth is going on? I'm not paying $180.00 for a month of an 89.00 plan.

Erwin
8th August 2008, 01:56 PM
I got charged for a second month of services. What on earth is going on? I'm not paying $180.00 for a month of an 89.00 plan.

Read the post that is just before yours. :)

cjuiz
8th August 2008, 02:01 PM
Still haven't received my bill yet, but I did get a waste of paper from Optus telling me what I already know...the plan I'm on.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/1011/photowo2.jpg

Nolanistic
8th August 2008, 02:11 PM
Still haven't received my bill yet, but I did get a waste of paper from Optus telling me what I already know...the plan I'm on.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/1011/photowo2.jpg

Yeah I got that too. I've got No idea why they think it's necessary

reemixx
8th August 2008, 02:15 PM

Forums aren't just for posting. They're for reading, too.

Lovely. There goes another tree. The same thing happened to me, but in an email (so only wasted time, not trees), the customer service person sent me a PDF of what plan I'm on, and also answered a different question to what I had asked.

Yes, thank you Optus workers, we do know what plans we are on, now give us our bills, kthxbye.

arkenstone
8th August 2008, 02:44 PM
I've been trying to get my bill (http://www.namealreadytaken.com/rant/an-open-letter-to-optus/)

AdrianM
8th August 2008, 03:01 PM
LOL, I had the exact same experience (hence me posting Optus's direct line to billing enquiries - the number they use for overseas customers) as I have rung them five times this week and was not prepared to wait any longer.

The "check back later" has been on the site all week, also when I go to check my usage, I get an internal server error.

The first person in account/billing enquiries cut me off and put me through to tech support, who then apologised profusely while saying that she was transferring me internally back to billing enquiries. The billing enquiries direct line put me on hold for 5 minutes so I hung up and called the direct line again. Got straight through and the woman on the end of the phone said she didn't know how to help me so she will lodge a technical investigation and they will get back to me in 24 - 48 business hours. Will be interested to see if they do...

Shintaro
8th August 2008, 03:17 PM
I just got the Optus welcome pack too.
Must have cost them a bit too, as they are customized for each customer.

craigd
8th August 2008, 03:19 PM
Here's my story durxmeister: Optus Still no bill (http://www.durxmeister.com/2008/08/optus-still-no-bill.html)

Nolanistic
8th August 2008, 03:24 PM
Forums aren't just for posting. They're for reading, too.

Well shit the bed, I didn't know that.

I just read the FAQ in the "Simple way to read your bill".

How... how can they do this? This is the first time in my life I have been charged in advance for service. What on earth?

craigd
8th August 2008, 03:28 PM
Well shit the bed, I didn't know that.

I just read the FAQ in the "Simple way to read your bill".

How... how can they do this? This is the first time in my life I have been charged in advance for service. What on earth?

Most companies charge you this way, or so i thought, advance Billings is just a fact of life I guess

Shintaro
8th August 2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, always been like this with Optus, never bothered using Voda or Tel$tra, so can't comment in them.

cjuiz
8th August 2008, 03:35 PM
Seems to be an Optus thing. Whats stupid about it, is that your previous months additional charges go onto the following months contract payments. Its pretty stupid and confusing.

wholikespotatoes
8th August 2008, 04:11 PM
So i am on the Optus $39 plan and received my first bill this morning. It was a casual $296.79.
When I found out about the first months unlimited data combined with tethering the phone to a computer I decided to take advantage of this..
I get 500mb data a month and this month I used 1452mb downloading dexter eps lol. According to my bill optus on decided to credit me on some of the excess data but not all...
A quick ring to the optus support number got this credited back to me, but imo it is terrible that they still charged me the $296 in the first place.

Bill was 7 pages long btw.

NORMANDY
8th August 2008, 04:29 PM
So i am on the Optus $39 plan and received my first bill this morning. It was a casual $296.79.
When I found out about the first months unlimited data combined with tethering the phone to a computer I decided to take advantage of this..
I get 500mb data a month and this month I used 1452mb downloading dexter eps lol. According to my bill optus on decided to credit me on some of the excess data but not all...
A quick ring to the optus support number got this credited back to me, but imo it is terrible that they still charged me the $296 in the first place.

Bill was 7 pages long btw.

My Bill has been a complete stuff up... full charges for internet (AGAIN) this is now the second time I have had to fix it up, no credits for calls applied, been on phone for an hour to get it all fixed.... what a F_____ up!

UPDATE:

after 1.3 hours with them, got all the credits back, and call credits awarded, man I dont want to have to do this each month... this is now twice I have had to get on the phone to them to fix all this... what a headache.....! I cant believe their billing system is so stuffed up!

kevinnugent
8th August 2008, 07:29 PM

That's gotta be some kind of record?! :)

NORMANDY
8th August 2008, 07:33 PM
That's gotta be some kind of record?! :)

I did 2958MB's thank you free internet :) and Netshare... you should have seen the cost of my 'FREE' internet :) LOL !

kevinnugent
8th August 2008, 07:34 PM
I did 2958MB's thank you free internet :) and Netshare... you should have seen the cost of my 'FREE' internet :) LOL !

lol! I bow before the undisputed KING of data!! hehehe.... anyone else beat this??

NORMANDY
8th August 2008, 07:47 PM
lol! I bow before the undisputed KING of data!! hehehe.... anyone else beat this??

ps.... now I am back on 500MB a month, no more netshare for me :)

aswitcher
8th August 2008, 08:06 PM
Am on a $39 + $12 for handset cost plan. $51.

Got a bill for $186...at least it wasnt the $1000+ it was before the credit kicked in.

Optus have really screwed up their billing...

The Fluffy Duck
8th August 2008, 08:13 PM
I JUST GOT CHARGED TWICE ... MUST CONTAIN FURY!!!!!!!!! AHAAGAGHHHAAAAAA.

Fuck optus seriously. If the other carriers were not charging the earth I would have swapped three weeks ago.

babypoppop
8th August 2008, 08:39 PM
On 'yes' 39 iPhone plan.. all is good for me! I'm glad that all my Interner usage were FOC!

I'm seriously the only one who's HAPPY with Optus.

aswitcher
8th August 2008, 08:50 PM
On 'yes' 39 iPhone plan.. all is good for me! I'm glad that all my Interner usage were FOC!

I'm seriously the only one who's HAPPY with Optus.

Ah, yes...

NORMANDY
8th August 2008, 08:52 PM
Ah, yes...

I think you must be, as I have had to be on the phone with them for a total of 3 hours this month just to fix up all their stuff ups... !

beneboi
8th August 2008, 09:15 PM
I think you must be, as I have had to be on the phone with them for a total of 3 hours this month just to fix up all their stuff ups... !

Oh Please! I have been on the phone for a total of at least 6 hours just on HOLD! and this was to try and find the phone which was supposed to be delivered but never was!

however i will be very happy with optus now! since all i am paying for is the phone (which i finally recieved in two days like promised after REORDERING) as they will be paying for my plan for a good few months!:)

NORMANDY
8th August 2008, 09:20 PM
Oh Please! I have been on the phone for a total of at least 6 hours just on HOLD! and this was to try and find the phone which was supposed to be delivered but never was!

however i will be very happy with optus now! since all i am paying for is the phone (which i finally recieved in two days like promised after REORDERING) as they will be paying for my plan for a good few months!:)

no one should be on the phone at all, imagine how much time and money they are wasting with so many people with bill stuff ups.... I never said this was a competition...

WhiteiPhone
8th August 2008, 10:22 PM
mines pretty right
$118 for 2 months, insurance and iphone repayments

dolbinau
8th August 2008, 10:43 PM
And, WhiteiPhone, did yours come through the mail? I still haven't got mine. But. I did get some kind of iPhone 3G "starter" letter thing with my plan details, some advertising about Optus Zoo etc.. Have you all got that? How long ago?

wholikespotatoes
8th August 2008, 10:56 PM
gahhh just realised that as well as the unlimited browsing that optus forgot to include on my first month's bill, they havent seemed to include my standard calls as apart of my $39 monthly call plan nor sms', nor have they decided to give the the 100 free sms' per month as the bonus package for plans. also add to the fact that my online account still isnt working... arrrghhh

WhiteiPhone
8th August 2008, 11:00 PM
And, WhiteiPhone, did yours come through the mail? I still haven't got mine. But. I did get some kind of iPhone 3G "starter" letter thing with my plan details, some advertising about Optus Zoo etc.. Have you all got that? How long ago?

got all my shiz today, got the adverting material with the stupid guide and what not, and the bill

simpsons84
8th August 2008, 11:26 PM
no dramas for me with optus.. i must be a lucky one.. but to those who were 'shocked' for two months usuage - are you kidding? they've always done it this way... telstra, optus, voda.... think of it like rent... you always pay for the weeks you're about to use.. that charge gives you access...

no shock for me...

NeoRicen
8th August 2008, 11:30 PM
Still haven't got my bill (signed up day 1 at the Apple Store), but I know mine will be huge, since I chose to pay the $504 worth of handset repayments up front.

Jassycin
8th August 2008, 11:51 PM
I am one of the few very happy customers. :) It was explained to me on launch day that my first bill would include two months of charges, and I have my upfront phone payment included ($48). My calls and data usage are well below my allowance (79 cap). Sorry to all those with problems.:(

matthewk
8th August 2008, 11:52 PM
I got mine today, used only 1/3 of my cap. And data was around 8mb over my iPhone's stats (iPhone said 130mb sent/received). I am a little confused with the bill though, definitely not simple to understand the cap bill.

WhiteiPhone
8th August 2008, 11:57 PM
I got mine today, used only 1/3 of my cap. And data was around 8mb over my iPhone's stats (iPhone said 130mb sent/received). I am a little confused with the bill though, definitely not simple to understand the cap bill.

yea i was confused, but i got it at the end.
i used up $218 of my $350 call limit and only 124mb.
455 messages. HOLY FUCK by me :eek:

bunkey
9th August 2008, 10:08 AM
Weird.. I didn't get charged for two months of use. My bill is $63 something - and I'm on the $79 Yes Cap. It's less than $79 because it wasn't a full month - my bill was for July 12 - August 3.

reemixx
9th August 2008, 10:46 AM
Strange how some people have to pay in advance for the next month and others don't. Can anyone on a previous Optus plan (not the iPhone) verify how Optus usually do things? Is paying in advance for the following month common, or just something new to the iPhone?

matthewk
9th August 2008, 02:59 PM
455 messages. HOLY FUCK by me :eek:

I did around 90 messages, I thought I had done a lot more because I was typing really long messages.

DarkSpark
9th August 2008, 03:21 PM
if you contract says you are allowed for x MBs per month...
then ...take it to them..and argue...you shouldnt pay for ur downloaded and uploading data if you are within your cap..
i mean thats the meaning of "CAP"

True, if you ring them and talk too them you will find that a lot of the time providers find "mistakes" that were "accidentally" added too your bill.

jonnos
9th August 2008, 03:26 PM
i should be getting my bill on the 23rd my month ends on 17th. when i upgraded to the iphone plan they guy told me that my plan will start from that day i signed up on the new contract. as for how the bill will be calculated. for this month, my old contract plan will be charged for xx days i was on that then + the rest of the month on my new iphone contract. so i shouldnt be paying the full month of my pervious contract and the new iphone contract for this billing month. they do this so it wont disrupt my billing cycle.

hope that all made sense.

webbaldric
9th August 2008, 04:30 PM
Two iphones one one account, combined 8 hours of calls, 250 SMS's and 180MB of data - total bill $211.00

Way, way under on both data and call time (esp with the free 5 mins calls for two phones on the same account).

The 10% discount for two phones pretty much takes care of the handset repayments on the 16GB phones.

Quite happy with the whole thing.

I will have to start to watch YouTube daily whilst on the train to use up my data!

chaosboi
9th August 2008, 06:54 PM
my partner and I also didn't pay a month in advance. We are both on the $79 cap and were both charged about $63.
We are also both new customers to Optus. Weird.

reemixx
9th August 2008, 08:22 PM
Jeez. So some people were told they'll be paying a month in advance for recurring monthly payments, some get the advance payment on their bills without knowing we'd be paying in advance, and others didn't get the advance payment on their bills at all.

Anyone else smell the inconsistency here?

Edit: I think I'll give them a call on Monday, just to see what the hell's going on. Doubt I'll get any answers though, but gotta try.

BradCube
9th August 2008, 09:44 PM
Ahh, well I had my bill arrive today with a few problems.

I have been placed on the $49 Cap instead of the $59 that my original paperwork says. I was also charged excess data usage even though I signed up for a 24 month contract and should be unlimited for the first month.

Last problem is that my bill is 30 pages long - it documents every single bit of data used! This is a problem when the iPhone checks for email every 15mins or so :P

Does anyone know how I can request to have my bills emailed to me instead? I feel a little bad wasting that much paper every month. At least it's not as bad as AT&T with their first bills!

Looks like I will have to Optus a call on Monday to try and sort these things out :(

Oh, and for those interested I was charged for two months also (not that this is a problem)

NathR32
9th August 2008, 09:46 PM
Ahh, well I had my bill arrive today with a few problems.

I have been placed on the $49 Cap instead of the $59 that my original paperwork says. I was also charged excess data usage even though I signed up for a 24 month contract and should be unlimited for the first month.

Last problem is that my bill is 30 pages long - it documents every single bit of data used! This is a problem when the iPhone checks for email every 15mins or so :P

Does anyone know how I can request to have my bills emailed to me instead? I feel a little bad wasting that much paper every month. At least it's not as bad as AT&T with their first bills!

Looks like I will have to Optus a call on Monday to try and sort these things out :(

Oh, and for those interested I was charged for two months also (not that this is a problem)

Change it to Online Billing in the Billing Options menu (assuming you have set it up)

BradCube
9th August 2008, 09:57 PM
Change it to Online Billing in the Billing Options menu (assuming you have set it up)

Nope haven't got anything online set up as of yet. Forgive me for my naivety, but could you point me in the right direction for this?

NathR32
9th August 2008, 09:59 PM
Nope haven't got anything online set up as of yet. Forgive me for my naivety, but could you point me in the right direction for this?

Optus - Welcome to Optus.com.au (http://www.optus.com.au)
"Log In" under Manage your Services menu (bottom RHS of screen)
Register new account
Link account using 14 digit Billing Account Number.

BradCube
9th August 2008, 10:32 PM
Thankyou! :D

Ecto1
10th August 2008, 10:07 AM
Got my first bill the other day. It was $180, which i can not find out why. I am on the $79 cap i only made $330 of calls. I should be paying no more then $108 which is the $79 plus the phone repayments.

NathR32
10th August 2008, 10:09 AM
Got my first bill the other day. It was $180, which i can not find out why. I am on the $79 cap i only made $330 of calls. I should be paying no more then $108 which is the $79 plus the phone repayments.

You would have been billed for the partial first month and also the next month as well.

Heidi-Lee
10th August 2008, 11:59 AM

As someone said before - it would be the partial first month and full second month. One section of the bills gives you a detailed breakdown - have a look at that.

Ecto1
10th August 2008, 12:03 PM
I have looked at that. But still, i can not see where the extra chargers are from. They have credit me a lot of things. Be good if they showed what counts to the cap and what don't.

fridaynightlights
10th August 2008, 01:02 PM
I wonder if Optus charges for those paper bills. I have just signed up and it's being pre-set to Paper Bills. Or do they just charge it only if you change your mind and change it back from email to paper once again?

Thanks

doughnut
10th August 2008, 01:21 PM
I wonder if Optus charges for those paper bills. I have just signed up and it's being pre-set to Paper Bills. Or do they just charge it only if you change your mind and change it back from email to paper once again?

Thanks

For whatever reason, some people have the option of an electronic statement. If you have been given the option of an electronic bill and you choose paper, that'll be a fee of $1.00.

dathnoth
10th August 2008, 05:02 PM
so if i have been charged for partial month and next month, my bill next month should be minimal, lower than this one?

NathR32
10th August 2008, 05:57 PM
so if i have been charged for partial month and next month, my bill next month should be minimal, lower than this one?

Your bill next month will be for the following months usage + any excess accrued from this month. You basically pay for the next months usage + any excess in the current.

docpkenny
10th August 2008, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=webbaldric;604850]Two iphones one one account, combined 8 hours of calls, 250 SMS's and 180MB of data - total bill $211.00

Way, way under on both data and call time (esp with the free 5 mins calls for two phones on the same account).

The 10% discount for two phones pretty much takes care of the handset repayments on the 16GB phones.

I have 3 iphones on the 1 account but no discount. Is the 10% for the phones or bundling with other services

nando
11th August 2008, 09:06 AM
for many ppl this week will be the week of their second bill...
thats for me..and being the second bill it will be the REAL first bill.. :eek:

Erwin
11th August 2008, 09:10 AM
I have 3 iphones on the 1 account but no discount. Is the 10% for the phones or bundling with other services

There is a discount for multiple phones?

drewbles
11th August 2008, 09:47 AM
for many ppl this week will be the week of their second bill...
thats for me..and being the second bill it will be the REAL first bill.. :eek:

Second? I only *just* got my first, and I know some people who will only be getting their first this week.

One thing to remember for people grumbling about the charges and what not, it's obvious they've never really had a re-contract for a service mid-billion period.

I just got my usual 32 page bill (was always that long even pre iphone plan) and was not surprised to see the charges (in fact it was significantly less than I was expecting fortunately)

I had a credit for my old plan (also the same price as the iphone plan), a pro-rata charge for the new iphone plan up until the end of the billing period, and an advanced charge for the next month. This is very very standard practice in the mobile plan world with most carriers doing this. They always charge you a month in advance, so if you end up cancelling your plan at the end of your contract, you have no more to pay at the end of the billing month and the telco is not out of pocket.

So my bill was expected. How many people didnt realise how they do their billing with a month in advance? :)

nando
11th August 2008, 09:58 AM
Second? I only *just* got my first, and I know some people who will only be getting their first this week.

I got my first bill on the following week of me having the iPhone so that will be around the 17th of July...(got it on the 11th)
and it did charge me for Iphone usage (phone)
but mine came to be around $700ish...cuz i was on a plan before and ended the contract so was expecting that.
and like u said..always the first bill is the heaviest cuz of all the advance payments u make..so me too the bill came as expected..
so am looking forward to this week....as this will be my second bill now...and it would be the "default" bill for the future...!! :rolleyes:

Holden Caulfield
11th August 2008, 01:11 PM
You would have been billed for the partial first month and also the next month as well.

That's right, my bill just arrived and came in like that.

$135.27 which is $101 for all of August and a portion for the end of July.

dolbinau
11th August 2008, 01:27 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't got a bill yet?

cjuiz
11th August 2008, 01:32 PM

Nope, still no bill here...

reemixx
11th August 2008, 02:10 PM
Haven't got mine either, and the mail has already come today. Might give them a call in a bit.

nando
11th August 2008, 02:16 PM
Haven't got mine either, and the mail has already come today. Might give them a call in a bit.

u might be on the 14th and 15th billing cycle..like i am

reemixx
11th August 2008, 04:21 PM
u might be on the 14th and 15th billing cycle..like i am

No, I already know my billing cycle. It ends on the 3rd and starts on the 4th. I've seen my bill (by clicking on 'request a previous bill', I just haven't actually received it yet.

Anyways.....

I phoned Optus, and after a reeeally long run-around on the phone, I finally got some answers as to why I haven't received my bill yet. Read on...

Apparently, since I went to a phone dealer (not directly Optus) to sign my contract, there was some confusion with what they entered into the system. I was told by the Allphones staff at the time of signing my contract that they couldn't actually go into my Optus account and change it to electronic bills from paper bills, that was something I had to do myself.

So fair enough, I phoned Optus and got my billing account number a while ago (like 2 days after signing my contract) and changed my billing method to electronic bills, and thought that was fine, that I'd receive my first bill notification by email and be able to see it in my Optus online account.

Apparently not. The Optus support dude on the phone (I think his name was Randall) explained to me that in my Optus online account, my bill was set to 'do not print' or something strange, but that it wasn't actually set to electronic bills. He also said that the electronic bills would only apply to my NEXT bill, not my first one (so I'm under the impression that if you change your billing method, it applies to the bill after your next upcoming one). Anyway, he set it so that I would receive electronic bills, but it wouldn't be until my next bill, and he organised my first bill to actually be mailed to me in the post (he also waived the cost to send out a paper bill - which he stated as $5-something, which makes me wonder if it's $1-something PER PAGE not per bill - not sure).

So I'll be receiving my paper bill in the mail in 3-7 business days time, and electronic bills from then on.

I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't phoned them - it seems as though my bill got 'stuck' between electronic bills and paper bills, so I wouldn't have received either one of them.

So... My suggestion to those of you who haven't received bills yet (and have also gone into the online system yourselves and changed from paper to electronic bills) go ahead and phone Optus to get it sorted out, just in case your situation is like mine.

I explained to the dude that there was also a whole bunch of you guys that had this problem as well, so I think it's a bigger problem than they know. But whatever, it'll be a case-by-case basis, as it usually is.

hello123
11th August 2008, 05:10 PM
was wondering if i could change my plan offer from 'yes' Time to 'yes' text and talk free of charge. the terms and conditions saw that "if you select a new rate plan and/or plan offer, excluding MyTime, a fee may apply...".

and on another random note, my online bill says i've racked up 120 odd dollars in data charges. will this magically disappear when my actual bill comes, when they've hopefully taken into account the free usage in the first month and the fact that i've got 500mb data on my plan? lol. i hope i don't get the horror story bills that you guys have gotten

TheWatchman
11th August 2008, 06:48 PM

Still no bill here - *wonders if it will ever come* - if it doesn't I'm more than happy to never pay. Free iPhone + service would be nice :P

mayken
11th August 2008, 07:02 PM
Still no bill here - *wonders if it will ever come* - if it doesn't I'm more than happy to never pay. Free iPhone + service would be nice :P

I haven't got my bill yet, But I just got off the phone with a very nice and perky gal from Optus who told me that she couldn't get over how many users where having trouble signing up/working with the online billing.

Managed to work out my account and link it for me in less then 2 min's after I called up to find out why I'm a "Business account" when I'm not a business.

Will have to see how it all goes in about 45min's when I try the log in, Oh and ringing up about 5 min's before the help line closes was good too, didn't have to wait.:eek:

NeoRicen
11th August 2008, 07:30 PM
I still haven't, exactly 1 month now.

TheWatchman
11th August 2008, 07:44 PM
I haven't got my bill yet, But I just got off the phone with a very nice and perky gal from Optus who told me that she couldn't get over how many users where having trouble signing up/working with the online billing.

Managed to work out my account and link it for me in less then 2 min's after I called up to find out why I'm a "Business account" when I'm not a business.

Will have to see how it all goes in about 45min's when I try the log in, Oh and ringing up about 5 min's before the help line closes was good too, didn't have to wait.:eek:

my account still hasn't linked :P

wholikespotatoes
11th August 2008, 08:17 PM

Hmm my online Optus account is still also being setup. It has only been 1 month since I signed up...
Frustrating cause ive had so many corrections done to my bill, i really dont know how much to pay. Guess I'll give optus a call once more..

kevinnugent
11th August 2008, 08:53 PM
I still haven't, exactly 1 month now.

Not here either. One month today.

mattydee
11th August 2008, 08:57 PM
i received a 11 page monster

it detailed every time I connected to the Internet - all 394 times

luckily i had the unlimited first month!

Shaxbon
11th August 2008, 09:01 PM
Hmm my online Optus account is still also being setup. It has only been 1 month since I signed up...
Frustrating cause ive had so many corrections done to my bill, i really dont know how much to pay. Guess I'll give optus a call once more..

Same here, signed up on July 11th and still waiting on my 14 digit code.

The chick who did it for me all those weeks ago, told me today that theres a serious backlog of 800,000 people being shifted from the old system to the new system (800,000? WTF) and that it could take another 2 months for me to get ported over.

So here am I, not knowing if Im over my credit and not being able to be told or being under my cap and not using it because I don't want to go over!

With all these recent drop outs & not being able to see my usage, in hindsight I wish I paid the premium for Vodafone!

dolbinau
11th August 2008, 09:14 PM
So... My suggestion to those of you who haven't received bills yet (and have also gone into the online system yourselves and changed from paper to electronic bills) go ahead and phone Optus to get it sorted out, just in case your situation is like mine.

LOL. I am in the same situation - but I haven't been able to view my bill online either. I will call them eventually.

Reubania
11th August 2008, 09:29 PM
I just called my mate from OPTUS billing department and he printed out the bill for me on Friday. But as I checked my mailbox today, I find a posted bill. *sigh*

Everything is in order. I thought the data charges were a lot more than what I'd recorded on my iPhone, but I guess I didn't really include "Sent" data as well. But no shock received, all is as it should be (I even got my mate to double check it for me).

TimWils
11th August 2008, 09:44 PM
Hey just noticed something but i could be wrong (hope i am). Seems that say you get $350 credit on an Optus cap that number is after GST number but the calls (say 47c per 30 secs) are before GST numbers so the cost of a call is actually 52c (47c+105) a call meaning you lose 10% of you cap. Can any one else confirm this?

Reubania
11th August 2008, 10:15 PM
Hey just noticed something but i could be wrong (hope i am). Seems that say you get $350 credit on an Optus cap that number is after GST number but the calls (say 47c per 30 secs) are before GST numbers so the cost of a call is actually 52c (47c+105) a call meaning you lose 10% of you cap. Can any one else confirm this?

I think you're right. :thumbdn: :mad:

mayken
11th August 2008, 10:23 PM

Well thankfully it all linked well, I can't find out what my bill is for this first month as it shows up $0.00 used and accounted for.

The only charge I've seen is the $4 phone call I made this afternoon.:rolleyes:

downsys
11th August 2008, 10:38 PM
I haven't read through every post in the thread but I can say that Optus' excess charges has been going on for years, hence I've moved to another carrier. This was 4 years ago. Now, my friends are complaining about these excess charges. We've all checked and cross checked many times, it just doesn't make sense.

And when you call the Optus service centre (that is, when u eventually get to talk to an actual person after more than a half hour wait), they'll say so many things that's so confusing, that u'll end up more confused than u were before.

kevinnugent
11th August 2008, 11:13 PM
I haven't read through every post in the thread but I can say that Optus' excess charges has been going on for years, hence I've moved to another carrier. This was 4 years ago. Now, my friends are complaining about these excess charges. We've all checked and cross checked many times, it just doesn't make sense.

And when you call the Optus service centre (that is, when u eventually get to talk to an actual person after more than a half hour wait), they'll say so many things that's so confusing, that u'll end up more confused than u were before.

I don't think many people have actually complained about excess charges. The few cases, have resulted in Optus either explaining the misunderstanding or crediting their mistake.

I always had a good rapport with the Voda people, who were always reasonable. I don't expect much different from Optus as I used to be with them and always found them OK to deal with. I won't mention the 800 pound gorilla in the room called T. :)

Fino_Mac
11th August 2008, 11:50 PM
My account is linked online, and I can see how much I have spent online. But I cannot get the SMS alerts on my Cap usage, anyone else having trouble with this??

Shintaro
13th August 2008, 09:11 AM
Woohoo, I'm now a very happy camper.
Finally got my credit matter sorted out.

Optus were quite good about it too.
I had to send an online inquiry, as my calls to the billing dept ended up overseas, and they are not able to check everything, particularly in my case where it (the credit to my account) was written on the Optus copy of the contract I signed.
:thumbup:

I wonder who the poor bastard was that had to go through all the contract paper work, from the Apple Store launch day, to find mine was.

So Kudo's to Optus for 0 errors on my bill, & for the credit.

mayken
13th August 2008, 10:09 AM
Well got my first bill Today and it was online too.( dont ask me how I scored that I dunno either)

$95.68 and it's not as bad as I thought it was, but I think I might be calling them up as they have charged me data, but I have noticed a heck of a lot of CR on a few of the things, which I'm not sure why they have done that.

Wish me luck with the billing department, it could be a fun day.:rolleyes:

Erwin
13th August 2008, 10:20 AM
But I cannot get the SMS alerts on my Cap usage, anyone else having trouble with this??

Same here.

Reubania
13th August 2008, 05:43 PM
OPTUS will no longer be sending out 12+ pages for the iPhone bill.

iPhone Billing Format Change
Currently both the ARBOR and GSMIS iPhone bills have been itemising each individual piece of web data downloaded and this has been resulting in high page counts for some mobile bills.
To simplify the bill format and to avoid customers receiving multiple pages, a change will be implemented for iPhone bills to summarise the data usage.

ARBOR Bills

ARBOR will be changed to display the data usage section of the bill as the total mobile data usage per day. This fix is due to be deployed from bill run 13 with the bills due to hit customer mailboxes from 15th August onwards.

GSMIS Bills

The default for data usage on all iPhone rate plans has been changed from Itemised data usage to Summarised data usage. This is an existing option which displays one summarised line per service for the total mobile data usage per month.

This change became effective in GSMIS from bill cycle 8 onwards and the first bills are due to hit customer mailboxes from 14th August onwards.

I don't know why this wasn't foreseen, but at least they are rectifying it. For me, I only received a 4 page bill.
And as far as OPTUS is concern, there is no "paper" fee for receiving bill through the mail.

mcargy08
13th August 2008, 06:54 PM
Finally my account is now linked online. After 1 month. $105. I got charged 1.5 months. From 11 July - 3 Aug and 4 Aug - 3 Sep. I will call them tomorrow for the data charges I had.

craigd
14th August 2008, 12:08 PM
Still NO bill. Popped into Optus World today explained my situation to a representative, gave me some flannel that I should get a bill next month. I told him the operator told me my billing date was the 8th when I called and should have had it by the 12th.

He then put me through to someone on the phone who told me my bill was posted yesterday (13th) and i should get it anyday now.

It was around 135 bucks, what the breakdown is im not sure, but I am on a 59 cap over 12 months. I cant imagine I went over on data so I will be curious to see how it looks.

Also told me my 8 digit account number should be migrated within 5 days, the same as I was told 5 days ago

forno
14th August 2008, 01:05 PM
Buggered if I can make head or tale of an Optus bill!

Why cant it be simple

You spent $xxx
You get $xxx

therefore you owe $xxx

decryption
14th August 2008, 02:30 PM
I got my bill today also.

What a headfuck. I honestly can't understand what is going on with this thing. There's credits and excess charges all over the place. I don't want to call them as I'm not trying to complain about being over charged, I can't even find out how much I'm supposed to pay! I doubt the phone monkeys can explain it to me either.

I have two iPhones (8GB and 16GB) - $49 cap (8GB) and a $59 cap (16GB). The handset charges are $7 ea ($14 total). Now why isn't my bill simply $49+$7 for one number and $59+$7 for the other number? I haven't gone over my cap or data usage.

I'm confused but will probably just end up paying the bill and not even checking as I don't have hours to sink into trying to figure this out.

shiznatz
14th August 2008, 02:32 PM
Don't forget that Optus will charge your monthly cap twice in the first bill, once to cover the month just gone, and then to prepay the next month.

fother
14th August 2008, 02:35 PM

<snip>

I'm confused but will probably just end up paying the bill and not even checking as I don't have hours to sink into trying to figure this out.

That's the whole point of their layout.

Several years ago optus re-engineered the way their bills are presented, with the deliberate intent of making them as hard to understand as possible, so people couldn't tell what's what, and just pay it, because it's too hard to know if there's a mistake (overcharge) or not. I remember chatting with some of the people involved in setting up their bill layouts, and they openly admitted that obfuscation was the underlying goal (I don't think they work with optus any more ;))

It's not just optus, others play the same game, but Optus have made a real artform of it!

Heidi-Lee
14th August 2008, 02:38 PM

What a headfuck. I honestly can't understand what is going on with this thing. There's credits and excess charges all over the place. I don't want to call them as I'm not trying to complain about being over charged, I can't even find out how much I'm supposed to pay! I doubt the phone monkeys can explain it to me either.

I have two iPhones (8GB and 16GB) - $49 cap (8GB) and a $59 cap (16GB). The handset charges are $7 ea ($14 total). Now why isn't my bill simply $49+$7 for one number and $59+$7 for the other number? I haven't gone over my cap or data usage.

The only way I worked out I wasnt being overcharged was to go to the summary page and add up the pro rata month amount, the next full month amount and any handset payment and see if that equalled the bill total. In my case it did so I was fine. I too have credits and excess this and that but the figures match up.

ojk007
14th August 2008, 03:19 PM
just got my bill, impressed that they didnt itemise data. But i cant for the life of me find the 14 digit number i need for online billing.. where is it?

reemixx
14th August 2008, 03:32 PM
just got my bill, impressed that they didnt itemise data. But i cant for the life of me find the 14 digit number i need for online billing.. where is it?

Mine is on first page, 'Customer Account Number' right at the top, on the right, in bold.

fickwalker
14th August 2008, 03:34 PM
Finally got my first bill. I was pleasantly surprised. I asked for all of my handset repayments to be included on my first bill (so I could then pay it off immediately and give the SIM card to my mother, while using my Three SIM in my iPhone) and instead of being charged around $800 for my phone, I was only charged $600. So all in all, my decision to not wait and get the phone on an Optus 12mth contract has ended up much, MUCH cheaper than purchasing it outright. Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. :)

ojk007
14th August 2008, 03:36 PM
Mine is on first page, 'Customer Account Number' right at the top, on the right, in bold.

mines only 8 digits, i rad the fine print on the optus site and apperently i cant get online billing. This is utter bullshit, i dont really wanna spend a few hours on a CS line so is there another way to fix this?

craigd
14th August 2008, 03:40 PM
mines only 8 digits, i rad the fine print on the optus site and apperently i cant get online billing. This is utter bullshit, i dont really wanna spend a few hours on a CS line so is there another way to fix this?

Same problem as I got/have a call to CS is pretty straight forward and there easy to get through to although it takes a week or so to be moved to the new billing system of 14 digit account numbers

reemixx
14th August 2008, 03:49 PM

Gotta call 'em unfortunately. As Craig said, easy to do, you'll just be waiting for the number for a while.

Funny thing is, with me, I was given the 8 digit number by the staff at Allphones when I asked for it (when I went to pick up my phone a few days after signing contract), but when I phoned up Optus to get my 14 digit code, they gave it to me right off the bat. Bit of confusion there. I'd imagine what you have printed is the only one you have, though. I guess call them sooner rather than later.

reemixx
14th August 2008, 03:54 PM
Finally got my first bill. I was pleasantly surprised. I asked for all of my handset repayments to be included on my first bill (so I could then pay it off immediately and give the SIM card to my mother, while using my Three SIM in my iPhone) and instead of being charged around $800 for my phone, I was only charged $600. So all in all, my decision to not wait and get the phone on an Optus 12mth contract has ended up much, MUCH cheaper than purchasing it outright. Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. :)

If you're not being charged the full price for handset repayments on first bill, it's either because that's without GST included, of they've made a stuff up. What's listed under 'Handset/Equipment' is without GST, and the GST is on the first page I think.

If it's a stuff up though, I'd look into that if I were you, wouldn't want to have to owe that back at a time when you couldn't afford it.

Shaxbon
14th August 2008, 03:56 PM
Same problem as I got/have a call to CS is pretty straight forward and there easy to get through to although it takes a week or so to be moved to the new billing system of 14 digit account numbers

Or a couple of months! I got my iPhone on release day and I'm still waiting for my 14 digit acc number even after hassling for it almost twice a week for an update.

I was finally told by Pam that I'm part of 800,000 people waiting to get moved over and that it could take up to 2 months for the staff to get through everyone!

NathR32
14th August 2008, 05:00 PM
Still have not received a thing. Signed up on the 15th July. I was told that my bill is due on the 25/08/08, and was issued on the 10/08/08. It is weird that it was issued 4 days ago, but I still have not received it.

hendot
14th August 2008, 05:22 PM
Still have not received a thing. Signed up on the 15th July. I was told that my bill is due on the 25/08/08, and was issued on the 10/08/08. It is weird that it was issued 4 days ago, but I still have not received it.

This worries me a bit. I signed up on 11th July, and haven't heard a thing from Optus. I wonder if I have anything due?

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Optus. Aparently they issued a bill on 4/08/08. They are going to send me a new one.

reemixx
14th August 2008, 05:44 PM
hendot: Go back to page 7 and read my post (second from top). That's likely what happened with you, too.

I'm guessing it's a stuff-up in Optus' online systems. It just sucks that they're not recognising it as such and we're all paying the price for it.

shiznatz
14th August 2008, 10:40 PM
Just got my bill - no surprises, annoyingly I'm on the old billing system though.

ghettro
15th August 2008, 12:28 AM
Yep got mine today, no suprises acutally worked out about as much I had calculated before I signed anything. Although only disappointed they didn't show actual data usage.

WhiteiPhone
15th August 2008, 12:53 AM
my bill is due on the 18th of aug.
anyone else the same?

skip
15th August 2008, 01:20 AM
I got mine the morning of release and the bill still hasn't turned up...

dolbinau
15th August 2008, 07:42 AM

Same, did you happen to change from paper billing to electronic online, though?

HarbieBoys
15th August 2008, 07:43 AM
More than the bill shock, the interminable waits and dreadful on-hold music are what's getting me down!

James_B
15th August 2008, 01:45 PM
I've been trying to get my 14 digit account number for about an hour now to set up my online account to pay my ludicrously hard to understand bills, first i was given one that didn't work, then i was told i would have to wait 2 weeks to get it, then i was hung up on while being transfered, now im on hold again being transfered all over the place. My Optus experience isn't so trouble free anymore!

Edit: eventually they told me to call back in a couple of days to find out if the number they gave me was right...i asked why, they didn't know....awesome...i'm proud of how calm i remained.

svale
15th August 2008, 02:07 PM

Ditto. I'll give it a few more days.

More than the bill shock, the interminable waits and dreadful on-hold music are what's getting me down!

I hope you never have to sit through Microsoft's on-hold music. 24/7 Mariah Carey. :thumbdn:

craigd
15th August 2008, 02:12 PM
My handset repayments are wrong, plus it does not show every bit of data used (maybe a limitation of the old billing system - im still on 8 dig acc number) I am on a 12 month plan I think they might have me on 24m handset payments

reemixx
15th August 2008, 02:32 PM
My handset repayments are wrong, plus it does not show every bit of data used (maybe a limitation of the old billing system - im still on 8 dig acc number) I am on a 12 month plan I think they might have me on 24m handset payments

What's the difference in costs? They do add GST separately, could that possibly be it?

Soleil
16th August 2008, 10:32 AM
Mine was fine. I am surprised after past experiences. Mine was $114 which was this month a month in advance and the handset payment. My billing date was the day I signed so I had 2 whole months to pay. I have now organised my handset payout for next month so I only have to worry about the monthly cap amount in future.
They also quoted on the bill that I used 95MB data when the iphone quoted 220MB.

kevinnugent
16th August 2008, 10:45 AM
Got mine yesterday (signed up 11/7/08) - no issues - less than anticipated - goodwill credits (from the network outage a couple of weeks ago) all in place. Interesting note: No data usage total - just a $ amount and each SMS is listed individually.

craigd
16th August 2008, 11:19 AM
What's the difference in costs? They do add GST separately, could that possibly be it?

that could be it

ojk007
16th August 2008, 12:25 PM
i setup a bpay with netbank(commbank) and was able to stop my paper bills and get my bills through netbank, suppossedly. I did this mainly because i dont want to spend 4 hours of hold.

Reubania
16th August 2008, 12:46 PM
I think with BPAY you can request to have your normal bills sent directly to your internet banking BPAY section. I prefer this and don't mind a paper bill - as I can have proof of a bill and file it away. Of course it's more environmentally friendly to receive bills online (PDF), but my mate from OPTUS billing tells me that if there are any discrepancies about your ONLINE bills, they really can't do much about it (if you call the Billing Customer Service call center) as it's a separate department to that handling the online billing system. Of course they can eventually rectify it, but it's a lot of hoops to jump through....so he advises people NOT to use the online account to pay for bills.

In regards to OPTUS' "goodwill" refund - I think I only got back $2 worth. Hardly worth it. :thumbdn:

kevinnugent
16th August 2008, 07:56 PM
In regards to OPTUS' "goodwill" refund - I think I only got back $2 worth. Hardly worth it. :thumbdn:

I got a bit more. $50 credit. But for them it was better than me going to the TIO because I lost business. Anyway, that's another story....

HarbieBoys
17th August 2008, 01:26 AM
Having signed up for a yes $89 plan on 11 July, I was somewhat surprised to receive a bill the other day for $334. On review of the bill, it was obvious that the store had failed to migrate me from my original plan to the intended one.

After a 15 to 30 minute wait to speak with staff at the call centre, I got a little frustrated. The staff were courteous, polite, and in all three cases, asked me to re-fax the documentation I'd already provided.

Decided to change tack, and call the store from which I'd purchased the phone (George St, Sydney), and spoke to one of the staff there, who uttered the words I wanted to hear: "I'll take ownership of the problem". And sure she did, calling me back by the end of the day to inform me the issue had been fixed. A few minutes later, I received another call from her: she'd noted that I'd been on a business plan, and had reviewed my bill, and thought that I might want to consider that option, despite not having signed for it. So all done, with only one phone call to initiate the process. I'm pleased... thanks, Lisa!

hendot
19th August 2008, 03:22 PM
My credit card was charged yesterday. Still haven't received a bill.

Erwin
19th August 2008, 03:24 PM
My credit card was charged yesterday. Still haven't received a bill.

If you pay your bills using credit card, there is an additional surcharge, can't remember how much, a few percent.

NeoRicen
19th August 2008, 03:45 PM
I still haven't got my bill, signed up on launch day. Anyone else in the same boat? Seems kind of odd that it's been over a month and still no bill.

dolbinau
19th August 2008, 04:01 PM
Neither. Were you one of the ones who changed from paper to electronic billing online?

arkenstone
19th August 2008, 04:20 PM
Don't forget that Optus will charge your monthly cap twice in the first bill, once to cover the month just gone, and then to prepay the next month.

But I'm POST-PAID I've not signed up to a pre-paid account.

I finally figured out this is what the fuck is happening with my bill but Jesus Christ it's complicated.

Two 16gig iPhones bought on the same day:
Phone #1 (mine)
Recurring Charges 102.83
Special Discounts 5.26CR
Mobile Call Charges 78 calls total duration 2:12:00 69.84
SMS - Text Messaging 75 records 17.03
SMS-Text Messaging Int'l 13 records 5.85
Data Charges 209 units total volume 82078 KB 25.47
Discounts 112.93CR

Phone #2 (Girlfriend's)
Recurring Charges 102.83
Mobile Call Charges 74 calls total duration 1:53:30 61.67
SMS - Text Messaging 93 records 21.11
Data Charges 51 units total volume 8307 KB 2.60
Discounts 85.38CR

Total $226.23

WHAT THE FUCK?!

mwot
19th August 2008, 04:27 PM
I still haven't got my bill, signed up on launch day. Anyone else in the same boat? Seems kind of odd that it's been over a month and still no bill.

you will probably get home to find it today or tomorrow. i just received mine and i signed up on day one also.

like others in this thread, i don't see much point in itemising every single data transaction ... it's not like the line items are descriptive enough to be of value.

oh, and i overestimated the amount of data i'd be using ... used 32MB of my allocated 500MB in the billing period. must be a bit more aggressive/reckless this month!

But I'm POST-PAID I've not signed up to a pre-paid account.

I finally figured out this is what the fuck is happening with my bill but Jesus Christ it's complicated.

Two 16gig iPhones bought on the same day:
Phone #1 (mine)
Recurring Charges 102.83
Special Discounts 5.26CR
Mobile Call Charges 78 calls total duration 2:12:00 69.84
SMS - Text Messaging 75 records 17.03
SMS-Text Messaging Int'l 13 records 5.85
Data Charges 209 units total volume 82078 KB 25.47
Discounts 112.93CR

Phone #2 (Girlfriend's)
Recurring Charges 102.83
Mobile Call Charges 74 calls total duration 1:53:30 61.67
SMS - Text Messaging 93 records 21.11
Data Charges 51 units total volume 8307 KB 2.60
Discounts 85.38CR

Total $226.23

WHAT THE FUCK?!

by 'prepay' shiznatz means that you pay in advance of the next billing, post-pay period. so, your current bill is for two periods - the initial month, and then the month to come.

Reubania
19th August 2008, 05:39 PM
arkenstone - looks fine to me. What's the problem?

NathR32
19th August 2008, 05:56 PM
I have not received my first bill in the mail to this day. Signed up on the 15th of July.

I found my latest bill online however, it says it was issued on the 10th of August. I recently changed from paper to online billing so maybe that is the reason I havent received a physical copy.

Not big shock with the bill. I'm on a $79 Cap. Total was $557.45 but $444 of that is the outright payment for the phone.

arkenstone
19th August 2008, 06:54 PM
arkenstone - looks fine to me. What's the problem?

Can you give me your calculations? It makes totally no sense to me.

If you could take me through it step by step with a runing total that'd be awesome.

NathR32
19th August 2008, 06:56 PM
What plan are you both on?
And are you paying for extra warranty or insurance?

arkenstone
19th August 2008, 07:06 PM
What plan are you both on?
And are you paying for extra warranty or insurance?

1x $59 cap
1x $59 cap
1x $7 handset installment
1x $3 for ripoff handset waranty
1X $3 for ripoff handset waranty

$59
+59 = 118
+7 = 125
+7 = 132
+3 = 135
+3 = 138

=/= $226.23

sauso
19th August 2008, 07:09 PM
mine was 126. but i rang them and said "i called yesterday and was told that i was going to get a $50 credit cause i had to wait" the lady bought it and my new bill is $76 :P

Seriously guys just bulshit to them and they will give you credits. they would rather do that then loose you as a customer!

Reubania
19th August 2008, 07:22 PM
Can you give me your calculations? It makes totally no sense to me.

If you could take me through it step by step with a runing total that'd be awesome.

I am on the OPTUS $59 'yes' CAP plan, plus added the insurance ($7.39 pre-GST), and $2 for the iPhone per month. This is under RECURRING CHARGES = 111.77.

However, since we signed up before our billing cycle started (4th of the month), we've been effectively "charged" another month for usage, BUT since it wasn't a full billing cycle, we've been CREDITED (DISCOUNTS) = Cap Discounts = 93.90CR and Mobile Internet Included Value = 23.41CR = DISCOUNTS = 117.31

So if you include what OPTUS would normally charge new accounts - 2 x billing cycles, it would have been roughly $138 ($59 cap + $2 for iPhone + $8 insurance). However, since it wasn't exactly 2 x billing cycles, hence the lowered total amount ($128.45)

You have to remember to factor in GST in your total amount!

NEW CHARGES - $128.45

SUMMARY: Mobile Charges - 116.77

SERVICE LEVEL SUMMARY:
Recurring Charges - 111.77
Special Discounts - 2.03CR
Mobile Call Charges - 33 calls Total Duration 1:13:00 39.65
SMS - Text Messaging 235 records 53.35
Premium SMS Messages Sent 10 records 5.00
SMS-Text Messaging Int'l 2 records 0.90
Data Charges - 103 units Total volume 81979KB 25.44
Discounts - 117.31CR - this is for the FULL billing cycle OPTUS charges automatically when you sign up to a new plan. It is discounted as July 11 falls outside the 4th of the month, so sort of get a refund

= 116.77 (hence Mobile Charges in Sumary)

Then add GST = 11.68

116.77 + 11.68 = 128.45

And that is what I've been charged. It works out for me.

In regards to your situation - when did you sign up to the plan? You should have been billed for 2 x billing cycles (under Recurring Charges - 11 Jul ($41.53) and 4 Aug ($53.64)).

What is this $7 installation charge? I did not get that charge. All I got charged was the extra added insurance ($7.39) and for my "Equipment", the iPhone blk 8GB at the rate of $1.82. All these are pre-GST costs.

Reubania
19th August 2008, 07:41 PM
1x $59 cap
1x $59 cap
1x $3 for ripoff handset waranty
1X $3 for ripoff handset waranty

$59
+59 = 118
+7 = 125
+7 = 132
+3 = 135
+3 = 138

=/= $226.23

Are you receiving both yours and your girlfriend's bill at the same time? Because you are not adding it up correctly. It's $59 x 4 (FOUR!). BUT since it hasn't been two FULL billing cycles, you can't just "add $59". This is the cost after GST. Confusing I know.

So yours should be -

41.53 (not quite 1 x full billing cycle) + 53.64 (1 x FULL billing cycle) = 95.17 (YOU)
+ 41.53 + 53.64 = 95.17 (GIRLFRIEND)
= 190.34
+ 7 = 197.34
+ 7 = 204.34
+ 3 = 207.34
+ 3 = 210.34

PLUS GST = 21.03

TOTAL AMOUNT = 231.37

This is NOT the $226.23 that you have quoted, because the figures I've used have been a mixture of PRE and POST GST (your $7 and $3 are POST GST charges, so I don't know the EXACT breakdown - so added them in in FULL).

BUT you can appreciate that my breakdown is more in line with what you have been asked to pay, than your figure of $138.

My breakdown = $231.37 which is more in line with $226.23
Your breakdown = $138 which is not in line with $226.23

So the misunderstanding lies that BOTH you and your girlfriend are charged for 1.5 x billing cycles (just under the full two billing cycles). This is NORMAL practice, and most people here have had NO problems with their billing statement.

I hope that helps! If you still don't understand, you should call OPTUS Billing Department. I don't work there, but a simple maths, knowledge about being billed for 1.5 billing cycles, and the breakdown of PRE vs. POST GST prices, and there you have it!

Comet
19th August 2008, 08:25 PM
Did anyone just receive a weird SMS from Optus???

http://lh5.ggpht.com/yosukey/SKqfGSOZdwI/AAAAAAAACS4/dwSpbhGTgig/s400/IMG_0001.PNG

Anyways, I was supposed to get a notification through SMS but never got it. Finally found the bill through "request previous bill" and saw that it was due yesterday :( If they slap a late fee I'll fight it. Was 76.91 for the Yes iPhone $39 for the 8gb iPhone

Reubania
19th August 2008, 08:48 PM
No. No weird text message from OPTUS. Sure it's not a hoax? ;)

NeoRicen
19th August 2008, 11:42 PM
Neither. Were you one of the ones who changed from paper to electronic billing online?
I told them to make it electronic billing only during the sign up process.

reemixx
19th August 2008, 11:59 PM
I told them to make it electronic billing only during the sign up process.

I don't think it matters, to be honest. Optus' online system has stuffed up majorly. You'll likely find your bill if you click on 'request a previous bill' but the system thinks its already been sent even though it hasn't 'cause it got confused between paper bill and electronic bill. This is what happened with mine, and I'm guessing what has also happened with yours and many others. Optus aren't admitting it, so information isn't freely available with how to proceed with this problem.

I never got my bill, so I had to phone them up and get them to send the bill through the post, even though I set it to electronic billing because the system didn't recognise it properly. As it turned out, my bill never came before D-day so I phoned them again and they said they're not sure what happened but they will send it out this time. Should get to me by Thursday. They waived the usual costs for paper bills and also said that I've got until my next bill is issued before they will charge late fees (they'd better be right because I'll refuse to pay the price for their mistake).

My online Optus account balance for my bill reads $0.00, so there's no way I can pay it online (or at least, I don't want to risk it) so it'll have to be the bloody post office for me.

Curious to know if there's anyone else who set their billing to electronic and also has their account read $0.00 instead of the amount it should be for your bill?

Reubania
20th August 2008, 12:39 AM
Hence why I've decided NOT to link my account to my newly registered online account with OPTUS. And this is the recommendation from my mate who works at the Billing Department of OPTUS! It's easier to select to receive a paper bill in the first place and then pay accordingly. I had to admit that I did receive my bill a little late, but it did give me ample amount of time to actually pay it before the due date!

reemixx
20th August 2008, 01:31 AM
Hence why I've decided NOT to link my account to my newly registered online account with OPTUS. And this is the recommendation from my mate who works at the Billing Department of OPTUS! It's easier to select to receive a paper bill in the first place and then pay accordingly. I had to admit that I did receive my bill a little late, but it did give me ample amount of time to actually pay it before the due date!

So you're saying to go with paper bills? Firstly I don't want to pay the fee for those, secondly it's a big waste of paper, thirdly I'm trying to move to a totally paperless system. Paper bills just isn't an option for some people.

Sure, Optus sucks when it comes to this stuff, but if some people don't put up with the crap and try to expose that there's a problem, nothing will ever get done to fix things. If they have electronic billing as an option, there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be able to use that option without problems. It isn't wrong to expect the system to work as it is intended.

So I will put up with all their mistakes, all their disorganisation and screw-ups and having to call customer support over and over so that I, and hopefully others with the same problem as me, can get our electronic bills hassle-free. I'd definitely rather sort this stuff out early on than wait and find out that there's a problem later.

Reubania
20th August 2008, 05:56 PM
Confirmed with my friend at OPTUS Billing department that there are NO charges for sending out paper bills. Yes, it is a waste of money, but he even said that the online account is separate from the Billing department, so any mistakes found online might not be dealt easily/quickly when you ring Customer support.

As much as I live online, pay my bills online, I like to keep a record of all my bills on paper. Sure, you can view your previous bill on PDF and save them that way. But once they've worked out all their flaws and problems, I won't be linking my iPhone account with my online account just yet.

Erwin
20th August 2008, 06:03 PM
Confirmed with my friend at OPTUS Billing department that there are NO charges for sending out paper bills.

Are you sure?

From the Optus site:

Paper Invoice Fee: A $1.10 (inc GST) fee will apply if you choose to receive a paper bill posted to you. To avoid this fee you may change to an electronic bill sent to you by email by enrolling at optus.com.au/myoptusaccount. Electronic bills will be phased in over time and may not be available to you immediately. If electronic billing is not available to you, we won’t charge you the fee. Optus will write to you to advise you of the availability of electronic billing and before any fee is charged. Credit Card Fee: If you use a credit, charge or debit card to pay your bill, a 1.0% fee (inc GST) will be charged. This payment processing fee will be shown on your next Optus bill after the payment has been processed. Exemptions may apply. Australia Post: If you pay your account at an Australia Post outlet, you will be charged an account processing fee of $0.55 (inc GST).

Reubania
20th August 2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, I asked him about it. He says he's never charged that fee. I think that once their electronic system works and ironed out the bugs, like they said, they will advise you to switch to electronic billing before charging any fee. This is more of a future practice. But check your paper bills and see if this bill is listed. It is definitely not. AND OPTUS will be simplifying their paper bills - so you won't be getting 13+ pages anymore (mine was only 4). So they are also saving paper.

These systems do take time to be properly implemented. It's just that the heavy demand of the iPhone has created more problems for them...in terms of implementing a new system of SIM activation to billing...and the sheer bulk of upgrading and new customers.

Erwin
20th August 2008, 06:10 PM
Darn it. I changed to electronic bills because I wanted to avoid the charge.

If I want to change back now, I get this warning:

*Re-enrolling for paper billing will incur a service charge.

So I've been gypped. :)

Reubania
20th August 2008, 06:16 PM
I am guessing that's how they can hit you with the fee. ALSO if you request for a paper bill (ie. for verification) when you've already registered and linked your iPhone account with your online account. I think that's also when they hit you with that "paper bill" fee.

So I haven't linked my account yet, I will receive my bill on paper and see how it goes. If they start charging me a fee, all I have to do is ring my mate, and get him to remove it :D

reemixx
20th August 2008, 07:58 PM
Reubania: As for Optus not charging a fee for paper bills, I'm not 100% sure that I believe your friend (wish I did). Firstly, as Erwin pointed it, it states the fee on the Optus site. Secondly, after calling up Optus several times to sort out my billing problems, I've been told twice by two different customer service reps that there is usually a fee for paper bills, and both times they've said they will waive the usual fee (since I shouldn't have been receiving paper bills at all). Also, I was told when signing my contract that there would be a fee for paper bills.

So, unless they've changed something recently to abandon the fee for paper bills and just haven't made it official, I'm rather inclined to believe that a fee will still be charged.

Reubania
20th August 2008, 08:03 PM
I will keep you guys updated, but he works in the billing department - so I am 100% certain of his information - since he's the one who deals with customer complaints and issueing bills for all OPTUS mobile phone products. When I did mention that tidbit on the website about a paper bill, he says he's never seen OPTUS charge that. I am assuming that this charge is not made official yet - more of a warning or suggestion of future charges.

When I signed my contract, there was no option in selecting paper/paper-less bills.

reemixx
20th August 2008, 08:15 PM
I will keep you guys updated, but he works in the billing department - so I am 100% certain of his information - since he's the one who deals with customer complaints and issueing bills for all OPTUS mobile phone products. When I did mention that tidbit on the website about a paper bill, he says he's never seen OPTUS charge that. I am assuming that this charge is not made official yet - more of a warning or suggestion of future charges.

When I signed my contract, there was no option in selecting paper/paper-less bills.

That'd be good (for you to keep us updated) cheers.

It's not so much that I don't believe your friend specifically, more so that I don't have too much trust in Optus as far as this stuff is concerned, because I'm always getting conflicting information from different Optus workers, and have to really spell things out to get the correct info out of them. So while your friend might not have come across any instances of Optus charging for the fee, it's pretty likely that some people are paying a fee somewhere.

Could it possibly just be something that has come in for the iPhone? Anyone previously with Optus ever been charged for paper bills on another contract with another phone?

Also, I was not given the option to change from paper bills to electronic bills either. I went to Allphones to sign up, and the sales rep specifically told me that she did not have the power to do that for me, that I'd have to do it myself either by phone or online, so I did. Yet, other people have been given the option on sign up. just another instance of conflicting info with Optus, hey.

Reubania
20th August 2008, 08:35 PM
Hey, I'm totally with you! OPTUS and their customer service staff are generally unsure of what's going on. Take for example the conflicting reports of the iPhone's release and associated packages (think back to the deposit holders fiasco!).

As a general, I don't trust the staff at OPTUS. Especially their customer service line. Even trying to add insurance (heck, I wanted to throw MORE money to them), they couldn't even put me through the correct department. *sigh*

But I do trust my friend. He's actually been trained to deal specifically with iPhone 3G billings. He is not connected to the dedicated iPhone support line at OPTUS, but he has intimate knowledge about the plans, packages and fees and billing methods that DIRECTLY relates to the iPhone plans. So I give him a :thumbup:

bacco007
20th August 2008, 10:13 PM
I've just found my bill finally arrived in the online billing - due 2 days ago :(

I'm far from impressed with my Optus experience

nando
20th August 2008, 10:29 PM
just got my second bill and was as expected no dramas
also this was for a full month and the data counters of both optus and my iPhone coincided perfectly also my bill came to be on 3 pages . The data was not itemized but came as a total per day :D
happy now

dolbinau
20th August 2008, 11:15 PM
I just noticed my Optus account has linked online and I can view (billing date 3rd, so a bit old now!) Usage was accurate.

Also, using 0.35 cents per meg (will have to confirm rate later) we can easily find out our total data usage if we have the total costs of data charges - which is useful - although I can't view any information about calls/sms/data usage yet.

NeoRicen
20th August 2008, 11:45 PM
Still nothing. Should I be worried?

Reubania
20th August 2008, 11:52 PM
Um, you should give them a call. I would be worried. I hate not paying on time. Not because of the late fee, but just in principle.

reemixx
21st August 2008, 12:12 AM
Still nothing. Should I be worried?

I doubt you will receive one at all, as I've said several times. You need to call them and either get them to send it to you by mail (which is what I did - twice - unsuccessfully. If I don't get it tomorrow, I'll be telling them what I really think of their service, in person rather than over the phone). Otherwise, click on 'request a previous bill' from your online account and just use that one.

I refuse to pay a bill I haven't received though, which is why I'm not paying it from the bill listed in 'request a previous bill' since I haven't actually RECEIVED it. That, and my online account balance reads $0.00 so I have to pay it at the bloody post office and need the damn paper bill to be able to do that.

I still can't believe Optus aren't admitting that there's a problem. It's INSANE.

Reubania
21st August 2008, 12:16 AM
I too refuse to pay a bill unless it's been RECEIVED....hence why paper bill still have it's uses. So many things can go wrong electronically. And so many mail can go missing from the post. But in the end, we all need proof of it's existence.

jonnos
21st August 2008, 03:27 AM
i just got my bill and it doesnt seem right to me..

for those people that upgraded their contract...

i have to pay for next month in advance thats fine i see that on there already. does that also mean im paying for next months handset repayment? coz i dont see me being charged for it as i only see my handset repayment from aug7th till the 17th.

im trying to add up the damn numbers on there and they dont seem to add up =\ ill probably just give optus a call and ask about it.

bigmouth
21st August 2008, 09:26 AM
I have no qualms with the online access - I much prefer it over reams of paper, and i can always get a backup if needed.

It did take a while for the registration of the account and the actual phone account to connect, but it's fine - and yes, while it's a bit of a breakfast when it comes to reading the bill, it's pretty clear how much of free calls i've used, and i only got to 92 meg of data (and that's mucking around with it like a crazy man the day I got it, checking emails, mobile me, internet).

I did have a hefty bill (over $500) - but that's cause i paid for the phone upfront and the 2 months worth.

Just my $0.02 (with GST) :)

Heidi-Lee
21st August 2008, 10:02 AM
I know this has been mentioned before - but I cant find it. When you change from paper to online bills do you receive an email from Optus saying your bill is ready to view?

deadants
21st August 2008, 01:46 PM
This was on the ABC Midday news today.
YouTube - iPhone bills are scary (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=w8uSHYkC4js)

NeoRicen
21st August 2008, 02:48 PM
I doubt you will receive one at all, as I've said several times. You need to call them and either get them to send it to you by mail (which is what I did - twice - unsuccessfully. If I don't get it tomorrow, I'll be telling them what I really think of their service, in person rather than over the phone). Otherwise, click on 'request a previous bill' from your online account and just use that one.

I refuse to pay a bill I haven't received though, which is why I'm not paying it from the bill listed in 'request a previous bill' since I haven't actually RECEIVED it. That, and my online account balance reads $0.00 so I have to pay it at the bloody post office and need the damn paper bill to be able to do that.

I still can't believe Optus aren't admitting that there's a problem. It's INSANE.
I'm not chasing them up for a bill.

They don't want to give me my bill, they're not getting my money, screw 'em. :thumbdn:

nexus177
21st August 2008, 03:24 PM
hmm.. i remember when I was comparing Vodafone's plans with Optus' - one thing i noticed is that excess data usage is not covered by the cap and is all purely excess charges - whereas Vodafone's caps had excess data usage absorbed inside the cap itself.

also the fact Optus don't give you a way to check your usage is quite nasty (despite the iPhone having its own data meter - Optus should still provide some way of checking usage on their end).

I can say without any doubt that Optus is just filled will little tricks and bullshit - what do you expect by a company thats ran by animals?? the ads dont lie! ;)

reemixx
21st August 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not chasing them up for a bill.

They don't want to give me my bill, they're not getting my money, screw 'em. :thumbdn:

As much as I'd LOVE to agree with this mentality, it's only going to cause problems for you later, unfortunately. It means they're going to default to charging you late fees, and then you're going to have to deal with THAT on top of the current problem.

As it turned out, I never received the bill that was supposedly sent to me twice after chasing it up, so I went into an Optus World store, and they pretty much said they couldn't do jack (I'm still amazed that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me - they pretty much just told me to phone customer support again!). So in the end, I just paid the amount that was on the bill when I clicked on 'request a previous bill' in my online account, even though I hadn't actually received the bill at all.

I will be filing a complaint though. I have the time to chase them up on this one, so I'm not backing down. I hightly doubt it will do anything to help anyone, or change things, or whatever... But I feel like I should do it anyway.

Macx
21st August 2008, 05:15 PM
I gotta say I feel sorry for those who have jumped onto expensive iPhone plans thru Telstra/Optus/Vodaphone....its a shame the whole 3 iPhone deal wasnt available to look after all the peeps when they came out.

I was lucky enough to get a free 16G iPhone via work and its been great costwise. Although I did have to pay to get it unlocked to work on 3, but hey free iPhone :)

Im on 3's $29 cap ($20 min spend) and a 100MB $8.00 Data plan. Im not using the phone 24/7 but when I need to call I do and I dont usually exceed my call limits (upto $120 in Calls/Text/V-Mail).

If your running an Unlocked iPhone on Optus/Telstra/Vodaphone in one of the major cities I recommend 3..it will probably halve your costs and you can check your Data/Calls Usage via My 3, the only time 3 is a bit doggy is when your outside of the coverage zones..but it looks like they are expanding those next year anyways...its fully sick IMO saving me buckets of cash.

3 saves you money = Happyness :)

reemixx
21st August 2008, 08:03 PM
I gotta say I feel sorry for those who have jumped onto expensive iPhone plans thru Telstra/Optus/Vodaphone....its a shame the whole 3 iPhone deal wasnt available to look after all the peeps when they came out.

Snip

Im on 3's $29 cap ($20 min spend) and a 100MB $8.00 Data plan. Im not using the phone 24/7 but when I need to call I do and I dont usually exceed my call limits (upto $120 in Calls/Text/V-Mail).

Snip

its fully sick IMO saving me buckets of cash.

3 saves you money = Happyness :)

Not really sure how 3 saves you money. As far as I know, to use the iPhone on the 3 network, you currently have to buy the iPhone outright from somewhere else first, and then jump on board with a 3 plan. That equates to being rather expensive since with other telcos, signing up for a plan means discounts on handset repayments over 12 or 24 months. Obviously, the higher the plan, the cheaper you get the phone for. So it makes MUCH more sense.

I'm on the $29 Optus 'Yes' Plan, so that's hardly expensive. It suits me just fine. If you read back, my quarrels with Optus are nothing to do with the plans themselves. I think the plans are actually very good, better than most other countries and definitely better than Vodafone and Telstra. I don't know much about 3's plans themselves, but having to buy the phone first would mean they'd have to be VERY cheap. Also, their coverage sucks around here, so no thanks.

So yes. It's Optus' crappy service and cluelessness that sucks, not their plans.

Reubania
21st August 2008, 08:14 PM
Agreed. Just use the phone and don't have to deal with their customer relations! LOL. I've never had to call them ever since joining OPTUS way back in '99. The only time I called them was when I wanted to add the insurance...and the poor call center girl, after reading out the T&C realised that it was for the iPhone...and had to transfer me to that department....to which the nice man at that call center had to re-read the T&C. And here I was telling them to hurry it up (I knew they had to by law) as my patients were waiting in the waiting room!!!

funwithstuff
21st August 2008, 10:21 PM
I've also had stupid problems with my first iPhone bill.

1. Charged for SMS even though they should be covered by the plan (Yes $39).
2. The first bill cycle lasted 3 days so I went over the tiny amount of credit that gave me, mostly while setting up my voicemail.
3. Even though it's the first bill, we're choosing to pay off the phones in one hit, and this amount was marked as "Overdue, pay now".
4. A stupid bill full of nonsense, such as charging some (seemingly random) amount for data and then crediting it back.
5. No way to check usage online because we're apparently on the old billing system and only those on the new billing system can check their accounts online. "Might be a couple of months."
6. Can't switch to the new business plans (+$5 credit, better rates but no rollover) because they're "not in the system yet".

Dumb, dumb, dumb. At least when I rang to complain they credited me with $10.

Glad to be on a 12-month contract as I may well switch to Telstra (Optus coverage at home is iffy) if I can actually get on a business plan with reasonable call rates. Now that I know my data usage won't be too high I just need to be able to take up a plan with call rates that aren't obscene (ie. none of their "specially designed" iPhone offerings).

(Also, with Pennytel's iPhone app in beta I'm not going to care what the call rates are if I'm at home or work.)

Ecto1
22nd August 2008, 12:56 PM
I still can not find out why i am being charged $185. I have looked through the bill over and over again, with no answer. The way i see it is, I am on the $79 cap over 12 months with iphone repayments of $37. Now $79 + $37 = 116. Where are they palling the rest of the charges from?

I'm going call optus today and complain about it.

forno
22nd August 2008, 01:05 PM
I still can not find out why i am being charged $185. I have looked through the bill over and over again, with no answer. The way i see it is, I am on the $79 cap over 12 months with iphone repayments of $37. Now $79 + $37 = 116. Where are they palling the rest of the charges from?

Plus a pro rata charge at $79 per month for the remainder of the billing period from when you signed up

markhellewell
22nd August 2008, 01:56 PM
just got a txt from Optus: "Bill update: data charges will now be summarised in the serice details section of your bill under 'data usage'. Itemised data usage cn be arranged by request"

So looks like no more 15 page bills :)

TheWatchman
22nd August 2008, 03:47 PM
just got a txt from Optus: "Bill update: data charges will now be summarised in the serice details section of your bill under 'data usage'. Itemised data usage cn be arranged by request"

So looks like no more 15 page bills :)

yeah i got that.

kevinnugent
25th August 2008, 01:13 PM
I ported a number from Voda to Optus. I got my final Vodafone bill this morning. Credit $38.00. wtf? Seeing as I don't have an account with them any longer, I'd have thought they could've sent me a cheque.... a credit.... damn now it means spending all day trying to get it converted to a cheque....

Reubania
25th August 2008, 05:44 PM
Kevinnugent - that credit is due to OPTUS giving their customers something back for their overloaded and slow 3G network/services. Mine was only $2+ so it was hardly worth it. It probably proportionate to the amount of 3G data used within the first month or so.

benzoenator
25th August 2008, 06:08 PM
My bill arrived today (I signed up on the 26th of July). Bill made perfect sense to me, and ended up paying $106.69 via BPAY about twenty minutes ago. Only used 140MB of data, I'll have to work on getting that up a little higher (I've got 500MB to blow!).

Only complaint - the bill isn't appearing on My Optus Online account, despite the fact that it was issued on the 19th August...

gumby08
26th August 2008, 10:59 AM
Got my bill yesterday (picked up iPhone on 25 July). I'm on the $59 cap, and my bill is for $113.59, which works out exactly right with the pro rata for the first month. I was also pleasantly surprised to be credited $21.10 for my prepaid balance transfer. :)

alasen
27th August 2008, 07:51 AM
Well, Optus still haven't sent me a bill (which I wanted via email), despite the fact that I signed up on the first day and it was activated a few days later. But they HAVE debited my credit card last week (I asked for auto payments) so I guess I'll be ringing them today to complain about the lack of bill.

nando
27th August 2008, 10:31 AM

i got a bill of $111 and too on the $79 cap...
but..i do pay insurance... + $16 of extra 200 MBs..(they sold that too me at launch date!)
+ insurance + they always charge u gst on the whole amount...
but i am on a 24mnth contract...so $2 repayment fee....

kevinnugent
27th August 2008, 04:01 PM
Kevinnugent - that credit is due to OPTUS giving their customers something back for their overloaded and slow 3G network/services. Mine was only $2+ so it was hardly worth it. It probably proportionate to the amount of 3G data used within the first month or so.

I got a credit on the Optus account. No problem. It was the credit on my old Vodafone account that has me bluffed. Now my old Vodafone account, which was to be closed, is in credit. Sigh. I suppose it's better than the other way round. :)

NeoRicen
27th August 2008, 05:25 PM
Well my problems are solved (kinda, still haven't got my damn bill).

Optus called telling me I was overdue, owed $608 ($45 first bill, $504 phone, $59 2nd bill). Turns out they were trying to direct debit me (why, I have no idea) from the account I gave when I signed up (gave them that account before I was told the phone would be charged on my first bill, and this account had the money for the phone in it).

I've changed the account and they billed me my money so everything is 'fine' now. When I get more time I'll call them to make sure they're actually sending my damn bill, and turn off direct debit and go to manual BPAY (if I can, do they let you do that?).

kogi
29th August 2008, 07:44 PM
It looks like I'll be getting double bill shock.
My account was glitched, it doesn't want to send me bills. It's going to take them 7 days to look into it.

iSilver
2nd September 2008, 10:28 AM
I received a bill of $170.xx late last week from Optus which I must say it was a lot more than I expected after less than 3 weeks of ownership of the iPhone.

Prior to buying the iPhone on a $39/$12 two year package, I was on an "Optus 1" ($69/month) bundle with home phone and mobile.

Checking the new bill I noticed there was a "pro-rata" charge of $39 and a "next month in advance" charge of $39 and a charge of over $100 for data.

I gave them a ring and said to the guy, lets start with Question 1, why is the pro-rata charge a full month, after holding while the rep checked on the pro-rata charge, he came back and said it was a mistake and he also noticed the data charge, which was another mistake he said. I wont go through all the conversation, because some parts had been paid on the "Optus 1" bundle but at the end of the phone call the bill had been reduced from $170 to only $39.

My advice to anybody with billing issues is to ring them and discuss, nicely, because it appears that their billing system is so f***ed that you may be able to get it reduced substantially until their system is working correctly.

And yes, there is currently no way to check data usage, the data allowance is not capped or warning sent and not likely to be for over three months.

dolbinau
2nd September 2008, 04:57 PM
Has anyone noticed this prepaid optus broadband notices coming up when you try to browse every now and then?

krolly
2nd September 2008, 05:10 PM
Got wireless internet for my iBook because the shop assistant said if I couldn't get it to work on my mac I could take it back. Took it back the next day and luckily asked for a receipt. That was February this year.
Since then Optus has been billing me $39 per month for it. When I point it out to them they apologise profusely and say it won't happen again...... but it does. They have threatened to blot my copybook by registering me as having a bad credit rating.

All the time saying sorry. :p

gumby08
2nd September 2008, 05:19 PM
Has anyone noticed this prepaid optus broadband notices coming up when you try to browse every now and then?

Yep just got one. It fixed itself while I was on hold with Optus to find out what it was all about.