PDA

View Full Version : Ms's New Advertising Campaign Is Pretty Cool :\

snax
21st April 2005, 12:40 AM
OK, so Microsoft spent US $200 million on a new advertising campaign aimed at growing the XP userbase, debasing apple, and "inspiring" users of their four year old OS - Windows XP.

I've had a look at the ads, and I've gotta say, they're pretty cool. http://www.windows.com has been revamped to match, and it looks as if Microsoft are approaching Apple's crowd - by trying to be cool, modern, and artistic.

I like the ads but not the message. What do you think?

Disko
21st April 2005, 12:52 AM
i like the image id on that jpeg... "made in Photoshop CS Macintosh"

edit: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5518/

Phillip
21st April 2005, 12:54 AM
As much as I love Microsoft's slogan, I don't see how it represents the company. Microsoft isn't very passionate about creating good software at all.

As for this campaign - its interesting. Actually I like it. But if its not the marketing we are talking about, its just getting people to buy shitty products. Well, except that Apple designed Harmon/Kardon Sub and Soundsticks on the music page.

And before anyone starts, the ad campaign was done on a Mac because the ad agency has Macs. Its pretty common sense.

Rayd
21st April 2005, 01:04 AM
hahah now that is a classic.. a awsome ad campain from microsoft only to give away that it was made on a mac :)

Edge
21st April 2005, 01:07 AM
The graphic design of the .jpg is quite interesting, but from an advertising point of view there's not much of interest. A campaign like this serves only to ram the Microsoft brand down people's throats. No one takes any information away from the ads. Microsoft are reactive in everything they do, and it shows in the advertising. The current TV spots are a rip off of award-winning Adidas print ads. They communicate nothing.

Apple's advertising since the Ridley Scott '1984' has been pretty lacklustre. Only recently have they come close; it is hard to top the iPod ads. They convey a simple message instantly; the pure joy that comes from music (and dancing to it.) By comparison, the Microsoft ads are a debacle.

marc
21st April 2005, 01:46 AM
Personally, I think the ad looks old fashioned, messy, and unfocused. It's a perfect example of how not to create an ad and looks like it was designed by a large committee. I'm not just saying that because it's a M$ ad either... they've done much better in the past.

What a mess!!!!

Sorry snax, but I'd be giving that a 3 out of 10 if I was on a judging panel.

hawker
21st April 2005, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 21 2005, 12:54 AM
As much as I love Microsoft's slogan, I don't see how it represents the company. Microsoft isn't very passionate about creating good software at all.
The opposite if you ask me :P

Personally Snax, I think they should take the 200 million and put it into fixing up XP... Instead they want to flog a dead horse. Tigers eat horses ;)

Tiger: RARRRRR

arty
21st April 2005, 07:33 AM
OK so first of all that chair is going to slide out from under him at any second - how irresponsible encouraging kids to do that

Second, OMG someone call an ambulance, that kid has been spiked with a water-slide fun park that's fallen over!

iSlayer
21st April 2005, 08:05 AM
i have to say that really sucks.
it looks like it was made 15 years ago

Goodbye
21st April 2005, 08:14 AM
Looks like they used cheap clip-art to try and design something stylish. I don't think it works.

Oh and that kid doesn't look like he wants to "Start Something" - more like he wants to go to sleep.

pipsqeek
21st April 2005, 08:21 AM
It reminds me of "The Homer"... For those that don't watch The Simpson's. Homer found his long lost brother who happens to own a large car manufacturing company. Homer gets given the chance to design and build his own car.

The advert at the top looks like something my 10 year old neice would make with Clip art. Seriously. Atleast its not misleading... it illustrates what our software is really like.. all over the shop! Or am I making something out of nothing because I can always pick on M$?

Back to "The Homer". At the end of the day, it looks like too much, from too many people went into it. But none of those people were actually communicating with each other. Now ironic.

Here is the car.
http://www.mrtoys.com/models/pics/Simpsons-The-Homer.jpg

pipsqeek :thumbup:

Phillip
21st April 2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Edge@Apr 21 2005, 01:07 AM
The graphic design of the .jpg is quite interesting, but from an advertising point of view there's not much of interest. A campaign like this serves only to ram the Microsoft brand down people's throats. No one takes any information away from the ads. Microsoft are reactive in everything they do, and it shows in the advertising. The current TV spots are a rip off of award-winning Adidas print ads. They communicate nothing.
There's this feeling of Microsoft being evil and a big giant corporation taking advantage of its Desktop operating system monopoly. The "Your potential. Our passion" ads try to change this.

macintoshrules
21st April 2005, 05:14 PM
Your potential (for annoyance) Our Passion (for ripping you off).

And there's an Apple IIgs mouse pointer in it...

jobe
21st April 2005, 05:33 PM
I think it's annoying and doesn't really convey much. I gave up after about 10 seconds of trying to figure out where to go and what to do.

EDIT: just for the record i'd like to state that I'm not a microsoft hater. THey have their good and bad points like any other company. Simply, like most other consimers these days being bombarded with ads and messages, I have the attnetion span of about 10 seconds when it comes to seeing/noticing and recalling ads.

Insanely
21st April 2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 21 2005, 06:39 AM
The opposite if you ask me :P

Personally Snax, I think they should take the 200 million and put it into fixing up XP... Instead they want to flog a dead horse. Tigers eat horses ;)

Tiger: RARRRRR
Agreed.

Microsoft must be scared of Apple again. I would doubt a company the size of microsoft would go to an external advertising company. Microsoft is a monopoly. With all of it's adverting it does - i'm sure it's a department of microsoft that created that image (on a g5).

Kreats
21st April 2005, 05:48 PM
Seems like a generico "our company excels at delivering excellence" type ad to me. I'm not sure it's convincing anyone of anything.

Like the HP ads with their gibberish marketing speak they really only end up annoying me.

petruk
21st April 2005, 06:19 PM
Their website is overkill, it doesn't do good things to my browser.

Phillip
21st April 2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Insanely@Apr 21 2005, 05:44 PM
Microsoft must be scared of Apple again. I would doubt a company the size of microsoft would go to an external advertising company. Microsoft is a monopoly. With all of it's adverting it does - i'm sure it's a department of microsoft that created that image (on a g5).
Please... think about it before you post.

Microsoft scared? Again? Why on earth would Microsoft be scared of Apple? No, they aren't scared of the iPod or Tiger, or the Mac mini. Unlike Apple, Microsoft's business isn't 38% music. Apple are the ones that should be scared. They have invested so much in its music strategy, it would be funny if they lose the digital music format war. As for Tiger sure they might be losing a few users, because they might have switched to the Mac, but does Microsoft seriously see them worth $200 million (the cost of the ad campaign).

the_OM
21st April 2005, 06:40 PM
I think it looks sweet.

But it doesn't mean Microsoft is scared of Apple. I honestly don't think that Macintosh is even on the Microsoft radar these days, they make most of their money in corpoarate sales, and Linux is their big threat there, Microsoft couldn't really care less about Macintosh these days.

Music is a different story, but they don't really compete..... Apple make their money from hardware, which is driving their online sales. But Microsoft make their money from licensing windows media.

marc
21st April 2005, 06:47 PM
I would doubt a company the size of microsoft would go to an external advertising company.
What smack are you on?

Last I heard, McCann-Erickson had the account.

Insanely
21st April 2005, 07:49 PM
My words were "doubt"!

Maybe I need a smack :unsure:

EDIT: Maybe im just an optimist on ms being scared

Phillip
21st April 2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Insanely@Apr 21 2005, 07:49 PM
EDIT: Maybe im just an optimist on ms being scared
We can all dream :D

pipsqeek
22nd April 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 21 2005, 08:29 PM
We can all dream :D
I think competition improves the breed.

At the end of the day. We all know what's better. Let them have thier "fun".

pipsqeek :thumbup:

hawker
22nd April 2005, 10:55 AM
With all of it's adverting it does - i'm sure it's a department of microsoft that created that image (on a g5).
Probably on the G5's they pulling apart to make xBox 2!!!

sikosis
22nd April 2005, 11:18 AM
so much for eatting your own dog food ;)

iSlayer
22nd April 2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 22 2005, 11:55 AM
Probably on the G5's they pulling apart to make xBox 2!!!
did you see the pics of the g5's they are using.
they were in the news today.
dual 2.0&#39;s with microsoft stickers on them <_<

Insanely
22nd April 2005, 11:43 AM
Have u got a link? Is this for the Xbox 2?

hawker
22nd April 2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Apr 22 2005, 11:24 AM
dual 2.0&#39;s with microsoft stickers on them <_<
They will have to be burned&#33;&#33;&#33;

Link? I can probably look, but will feel ill afterwards&#33;

spike@au
22nd April 2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by arty@Apr 21 2005, 07:33 AM
OK so first of all that chair is going to slide out from under him at any second - how irresponsible encouraging kids to do that

Second, OMG someone call an ambulance, that kid has been spiked with a water-slide fun park that&#39;s fallen over&#33;

I think arty sumed it up nicely. Had a look, message does look confused and unclear as to what they are actually trying to say. None MS product placement appears a bit odd in the overall scheme of things. Has anybody seen any other channels used for this campaign other than the web yet??

Spike

jobe
22nd April 2005, 02:36 PM
I don&#39;t understand why everyone is so worked up (in a good way) about PowerPC 970 / 970FX in an xbox. It&#39;s not like apple will be getting any money from it and it&#39;s not like the majority of users will actually know that it&#39;s the same processor as in the g5s and think "hey, must be better than intel, maybe I need to get one of those for a desktop."

Personally, I think a bastardised G5 gaming console is not entirly such a great thing. At least not until they become really cheap and you can pickup the console sized dually cheap as chips and run it as a desktop. (edit: just to clarify, I&#39;m not a big game console user/at all so my opinion here is skewed)

Not haveing bothered to look into anything about the xbox2, I&#39;m more curious though as to whether they will create an entirly new operating system for it that&#39;s both RISC and 64bit compatible, or if they will use hardware emulation to run a CISC os and perhaps just update (fix some of the bugs) in their current xbox OS. OOORRR (GASP&#33;) if they will use software emulation.

Disclaimer: i am throwing around the terms RISC and CISC very lightly as any geek would know, these days there is a very large and grey area between RISC and CISC into which all current processor fall.

Though it would be sooo cool if you could install OSX on an xbox2. (edit) you could call it OSXboX :P. Now that I think about it though... it would be kind of pointless. Apart from having a fairly small SMP G5 rig.

marc
22nd April 2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Apr 22 2005, 02:36 PM
I don&#39;t understand why everyone is so worked up (in a good way) about PowerPC 970 / 970FX in an xbox. It&#39;s not like apple will be getting any money from it and it&#39;s not like the majority of users will actually know that it&#39;s the same processor as in the g5s and think "hey, must be better than intel, maybe I need to get one of those for a desktop.".
The MASSIVELY good thing is the extra R&D time and money that is being spent. This will benefit anything that uses the PowerPC architecture.

cmetom
22nd April 2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 22 2005, 12:53 PM
They will have to be burned&#33;&#33;&#33;

Link? I can probably look, but will feel ill afterwards&#33;
hey relax, it&#39;s the standard silver case, and on it somewhere (top i think) is a little white sticker saying that it&#39;s a microsoft confidential blah blah blah developer kit - WHICH IT IS.

it&#39;s not like they ripped the apple logos off it and stuck those 4-color &#39;windows&#39; logos on it or something.

breathe, dude&#33; it&#39;s good for you&#33; :thumbup:

Snowy28
22nd April 2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by darknight84@Apr 22 2005, 02:16 PM
Why did you want to buy an iPod at Harvey Norman in the first place? Is that the only store cos if it is then thats understandable but they are just rip offs. Didnt someone also mention on this site that they were apple haters?
Uh, wrong thread buddy :P